• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which will you throw in the PC Storage first?

• Pikachu

Votes: 590 16.2%
  • Eevee

Votes: 571 15.7%
  • Your hopes and dreams

Votes: 2,083 57.4%
  • Jmon

Votes: 387 10.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 29857

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just woke up and holy shit at all these Pokemon news.

So I've got all 151 in Go, does that mean I've already finished Let's go?

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I saw a lot of things that I liked, but there's also several elements that made me squint. I like that the amount of Pokémon is capped to a more manageable, reasonable number again. That brings back a part of the series that has been lost for a very long time to people like me. Pokémon following me around was always kind of dumb, but in a very cute and endearing way. Really glad they brought it back. What I'm not sure about, is basically anything RPG related. Getting rid of the wild Pokémon battles and turning them into catching minigames sounds weird. There wasn't a whole lot to it in Go, and they tried to balance that by making encounters with wild Pokémon a lot rarer. If Let's Go lets you encounter Pokémon a lot more often, then it'll need to find some ways to spice it up. Also curious to see how levelling and evolving will work. Will it be like Go, where you just need to squish a million Pidgeys into a cube to get one Pidgeotto? That made sense for a game without regular combat, but this one will have trainer battles after all. I've got a lot of questions, but definitely intrigued. If the impressions aren't too negative after launch, I'll probably check it out. I'll just need to find a way to figure out a way to filter out the stubborn negative nancies who are not going to give it a proper shot.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello my dear Pokemon friends, so how much salt is still left since the announcement and have people come by their senses now ?

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm happy to lose random encounters for a system where you see the monsters on screen and make contact to actually encounter them (would be cool with that carrying over to the "proper" game coming out next year), but I'm iffy on swapping out actually having to fight them for the Go capture mechanics.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Then GF should explain what they mean when they say these are mainline titles.

It doesnt play like the old mainline games
It replaced half of the battles with the minigame from one of the spin off that was free.
Removed more than 75% of the team options and enemy variety
If it its full priced, it will cost more than the other pokemon games, including the first gen 1 remake that had more pokemon.
It has the name of one of the spin-offs on its title.

The only way this could be a mainline game, if its mainline games from now on play like that.

It's a mainline game in the sense that it will presumably allow you to transfer these Pokemon to Pokebank and it has the traditional battle system and overall game structure. It's not it's own thing in a completely separate bubble like Pokemon Ranger.

That they went out of their way to tell us that a followup generation 8 game to follow Sun/Moon is coming next year, so relax. This is just a way to get Pokemon Go players to migrate to a more traditional experience before hitting them with the full shebang next year.

Frostman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great Britain
Suddenly everyone hates random encounters?

It looks okay. Quite a bit of Go implementation, which I'm not a fan off. But I suppose it is optional.

I'll wait to see more, but I'm torn tbh.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that if they remove random encounters in the main games that means Nuzlocke runs are dead, since they rely sorely on random encounters happening.

I get that it isn't the "official" way to play but that would be saddening
Just gotta make new dumb rules like having to approach the one that spawns closest to the bottom of the screen or w/e.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
- It has a campaign and a different story from Yellow.

- No you can catch Pokemon directly in the game. You'll see them in the overworld and can catch them by throwing a Pokemon at them.

- GO is not needed to play the games. You'll be able to make your team with the Pokemon you catched in the game or transfered from Go.

That's actually amazing news.
No need to fight Pokemon you have no intention of catching.
No need to have a weaker Pokemon on your team so you don't one shot a Pokemon you want to catch.

I'm super into this.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like the look of this. I've just combed through the trailer, pausing and stuff.

- Pokemon randomly appear but you run into them to battle. In the mount moon section you can clearly see a Zubat popping up in a little smoke loud animation as it spawns in. There seem to be wild Pokemon everywhere - that mount moon part had at least 6 roaming about that I saw and the tall grass looked busy in places too.

- Pokemon have levels and gain them by getting experience. This was seen in the battle section of the trailer: each of your Pokemon has an exp bar under their hp. With no levelling from wild Pokemon I guess this means there will be some kind of vs seeker system in play to help level up.

- Cerulean city trainer bridge looks awesome.

- Pokemon movesets look different. One of the Bulbasaur in the trailer was level 18 yet knew Take Down.

Honestly it looks great. It's a shiny Pokemon Yellow with a new capture mechanic. A capture mechanic where you don't need to bring weak Pokemon to avoid one hitting something you want to catch.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck this is going to force me to get 3 switch consoles. 2 for my kids and one for my wife.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
It looks genuinely pretty and I'm excited to dig in. Aso super happy that a more hardcore game is in production, so for now I am super happy that they managed to come out with a game in 2018 that looks good and seems to bring huge enhancements such as no random battles - which I assume will be fully fleshed out for the 2019 game. I love Gen 1, and adore Eevee so this is a must. Also that pokeball controller will be mine.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope next one will shake up things graphics wise, the battles look really bad and dated.

Oct 26, 2017
Decent looking spin-off but not really this year and gen 8 next year?
I'm game.

I'm also going to go ahead and set myself up for a massive disappointment and hope that the one new Pokemon will be a Missingno. reference.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Seems like this is just a spin off series aimed at bringing in lapsed fans who loved Kanto & the original 151 Pokemon, as well as those who loved Pokemon GO.

Good move to confirm the true sequel is in development to stop the moaning. Makes sense it would come later as Sun and Moon have only been out 18 months.

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
It's a mainline game in the sense that it will presumably allow you to transfer these Pokemon to Pokebank and it has the traditional battle system and overall game structure.

That they went out of their way to tell us that a followup generation 8 game to follow Sun/Moon is coming next year, so relax. This is just a way to get Pokemon Go players to migrate to a more traditional experience before hitting them with the full shebang next year.

This is also another point I haven't understood. If the past twenty years (or anything past gen 1) didn't excite Go players enough to get the games then why would the 2018 title suddenly convince them to get the one in 2019 when it goes back to its traditional play style?

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
No random battles is interesting.

My first reaction was "what? Not!". But thinking about it, well it might work. Random battles can be very tiresome but they also serve to level your Pokémon's and it's a nice sense of progression. I wonder how they will replace that.

Making it close to Pokémon Go is a bit of a bummer since I'm not a fan of their system, or the whole game really.

Being in Kanto is a nostalgia kick but I've been there enough, I was definetly eager for new stuff. That's the actual disappointment in this. It will be great for first time players that's for sure.

Let's see how this turns out. The art style looks great and no random battles doesn't mean it will be good or bad, curious what they will do with the other facets of the game. Maybe this will be a small reboot for the franchise, that would be interesting.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
Maybe I am missing something, but the encounters look nothing like Poke'Mon Go to me. The battles looks like standard Poke'Mon fair, and random encounters are pretty much there (just visible instead of invisible/random encounters). The only Poke'Mon Go mechanic that looks similar is the actual catch.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's a mainline game in the sense that it will presumably allow you to transfer these Pokemon to Pokebank and it has the traditional battle system and overall game structure.

Presuming a lot of things, but if they go that route any Pokemon transferred from Go into this one will need random IVs set for them. CP will have to equate to levels. Go stats work so fundamentally different than main line Pokemon games which is why it's all guess work right now. I personally wouldn't call this a main line game until we know how the rest of it is going to play out .

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Overall there's some cool stuff, but there's also quite some Gamefreak God tier level bullshit in this game. I mean you can't evolve your partner pokemon? Evee, the evolution pokemon can't be evolved lmaooooooooooooo
The ability to play coop is the coolest thing imo.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because weakinging wild Pokemon to capture them was so hard? Gimme a break I could do that in my sleep aged 8. This is just a different approach.
Not hard, no. On the contrary: weakening wild Pokémon makes it easier to catch them, removing a lot of the luck involved in whether you actually will catch them or not (as much as you're able to anyway). Without that, and if you have to toss regular balls at them without any weakening mechanics, it's just pure luck through and through whether you actually catch anything. In other words, it's presumably just doubling down on the RNG involved in catching Pokémon.

Actually catching Pokémon is my least favorite part of the series these days due to how much luck is involved, especially regarding minimum capture rate Legendaries and stuff like Beldum. Just doubling down on stuff like that and having more limited options to increase capture rate just kinda sucks. =/

That aside, I'm just not really sure why they removed the option to weaken wild Pokémon or even KO them if you like. Because it seems like when you "encounter" a Pokémon on the overworld, it goes into a separate "caputre" mode at that point, complete with a menu and all. Since it transitions into that separate mode anyway and gives you those different options you see, why couldn't one of them have just been to send out your own Pokémon to weaken/defeat it?

Having Pokémon on the overworld is one thing, but I'm not really getting why it necessitated removing that other stuff, since it seems like trying to actually capture something you see transitions the game into a different mode anyway, so why not at that point? Especially if the point is to transition people into the main series since, y'know, weakening Pokémon and stuff is what you do in the main series, so not even having it as an option is kinda weird if that's really the intent. I'm just really not getting the idea here I guess.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I will just say that if next year's main game looks anywhere near as nice as this game does, this is an easy pill to swallow (and I say that as someone who still plays Pokemon Go)

SieteBlanco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Presuming a lot of things, but if they go that route any Pokemon transferred from Go into this one will need random IVs set for them. CP will have to equate to levels. Go stats work so fundamentally different than main line Pokemon games which is why it's all guess work right now. I personally wouldn't call this a main line game until we know how the rest of it is going to play out .

You don't get to decide what is or isn't a mainline title, though. GF does, and they're calling it a mainline title.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I'll probably get the game as long as you can catch all 151 Pokemon without using Go and Pokemon or ingame benefits or outfits wont be locked behind using Go. But who am I kidding, it's Nintendo, there'll definitely be stuff locked behind using Go :(

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I am missing something, but the encounters look nothing like Poke'Mon Go to me. The battles looks like standard Poke'Mon fair, and random encounters are pretty much there (just visible instead of invisible/random encounters). The only Poke'Mon Go mechanic that looks similar is the actual catch.
Not weakening wild pokemons to catch them it's a big change.

But we need more info anyways.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Overall there's some cool stuff, but there's also quite some Gamefreak God tier level bullshit in this game. I mean you can't evolve your partner pokemon? Evee, the evolution pokemon can't be evolved lmaooooooooooooo

You can catch another one and evolve it.

The fact that you cant evolve the original Eevee tells me that it is story related and it is going to be a unique Eevee with more powerful stats.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Sorry if this is old, but found this in a live tweet collection:

So it seems you can have the pokémon box with you at all times? Sounds very neat, though I don't know if it's an old feature by now.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
DeaFuJxVQAU3kfV.jpg

You see the pokemon like in PGO.
Gah, I know random encounters isn't great either, but dotting them around like this looks awful. I mean... there's just a giant rat chilling out on the road. Nothing looks like it actually LIVES in this environment. They exist purely to be caught by the player. This is an atrocious implementation.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I will just say that if next year's main game looks anywhere near as nice as this game does, this is an easy pill to swallow (and I say that as someone who still plays Pokemon Go)

The overworld is beautiful and the game is clean

next gen is in cooking still but tech-wise I'm actually pleased, Have pretty good expectations for next year's title now.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
even dragon quest got rid of random encounters back in 2009
I played the Dragon Quest 7 remake and the non-random encounters in that are garbage. Crowded dungeons, enemies that chase you down, enemies that spawn right under you, high enemy spawn rate. Strongest argument for random encounters in games I've ever seen.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Wow.
So even on a PS360 grade hardware, Gamefreak cant be bothered to make a game world on par with what we found on... PS2 ?
Top down view again ?

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Wait you can't do random battles? How do you grind if you exhaust the trainer battles?

Also what's the point of Eevee if you can't evolve it...? It's literally the whole point of that Pokémon.

The art style is really nice, but jeez that Mewtwo looks straight outta N64.

Colour me skeptical. And disappointed.