• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which will you throw in the PC Storage first?

• Pikachu

Votes: 590 16.2%
  • Eevee

Votes: 571 15.7%
  • Your hopes and dreams

Votes: 2,083 57.4%
  • Jmon

Votes: 387 10.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, in the past, I would buy a Pokémon game. Play through the linear story, catch a few Pokémon, beat the Pokémon league and then quit. I suspect that based on my play habits, this game is right up my alley.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
The traditional could also be a new generation tho.
Wait and see, but I'd advise people to not simply dismiss an entire marketing department that actually works on those games, it will only lead to disappointment when the reality kicks in next year.

I still remember all the essays we got on how the leaked Lapras screenshot couldn't be real..
The marketing department don't work on the games, they market it. Unless that's what you meant. And sure, they work hard but that doesn't mean I can't occasionally point and laugh.

Right now I'm just pointing out that TPC is trying to have their cake and eat it by saying Let's Go is totally a mainline game but there's also a more mainline game that's coming out next year. Let's Go Pikachu is not a spin-off, it's just less main game-y than the one coming out next year.

It's just kind of absurd and funny to me. Especially since people seem to be going along with it for some reason.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Very disappointing for the first console Pokémon game.

Never mind the fact that this picture highlights that even in a game with only 151 models, they reuse the models and attack animation from since X/Y.

15276485206683zpje.png
Still can't do a Cannon animation

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
I only accept defeat in the discussion about Let's Go rumors being completely fake, but I was right about next gen/mainline game being for 2019 from the start, an assertion everyone laughed at 2 weeks ago
No one assumed this was the next gen game. A lot of people thought this was a game to tie us over until gen 8. I know. I was I was one of them.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
There are few differences but the core gameplay loop is still very much like a mainline Pokémon title - Catch Pokémon, train Pokémon, beat trainers and become the champion.
They've changed how you find and catch Pokémon, Sun and Moon changed how you progressed to the Pokémon league - both games are mainline titles.
Well then you could say the same about pokémon Go.

I see huge differences, like the lack of pokémon older than gen1, I saw CP levels, and it seems there's no items. So it looks like a simplified branch of pokémon, versus the more complete one.

That interview i posted is official too. They see it as a new mainline branch, just as Mario 64 was a new 3d mainline branch for mario.

crash-14

Oct 27, 2017
If this is a spin-off, then I'm ok with it.

Will see how it goes for them. This could have been huge when there was all the Pokemon Go madness. Still will do great.

Edit: By Spin-off I mean not the new core pokemon adventure.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm not a hater on the games in general (like some here), but I don't find it controversial to say that Nintendo has a history of overpricing their games (and not lowering their price as time progresses).
Besides the tropical freeze debacle, I think Nintendo has been fine with their pricing. The insidein creating this mindset that games should get cheaper after the first few months and honestly I think that's ridiculous. The game you get 6 months from now is still the same game you got day one, but you expect the value to be lowered because time. Nintendo's games creates a nice seller's market, done they actually hold value for a great while. The value staying high also encourages people to just buy it sooner since they know there won't be a price drop.

I understand it's great for consumers and their wallets, but everyone waiting for price drops isn't that great for the industry as a whole.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Then there's people like me (who has probably but a good 3-4x into GO than I did Sun and Moon who can't wait for this.
Good for you.
I was just giving an example of go players with no nintendo systems right now but that they were wating for this, that are now going to wait for 2019 becuase they didnt like what they saw, I know people like you exist (and a lot of them, they have give their opinions in this thread), but I also now that some people (in this case that i know in real life) are going to go a different route becuase I talked directly with them, so the other camp also exist (how big is the camp, i dont really know, I was just trying to use them as an explanation of why i think is not that good of an idea as a stepping stone as some think, not in detriment of the lets go series, but in detriment of the future of the core series).

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The trailer shows that a trainer after the second gym only has a single Pokemon and it's a level 9 Venonat but in Yellow he had two level 14 Pokemon. These games are simplified in order to try and appeal to people that have never played a Pokemon game before. the difficulty is also part of that.

We don't know what a level 9 means in this game. That might be high or low for that point of the game. Just because the gameplay has been simplified, it doesn't make it easier. I remember everyone complained about Bloodborne when the mechanic to recover health immediately after taking damage was revealed. People said it will be too easy and that it ruins what made Demon Souls so great but look at the reputation it has now, it's much loved on Era. Cutting the crap such 50 zubat battles in a cave and having me tediously whittle down an enemy's HP until it's red before throwing a Pokéball is a change I welcome, especially in a franchise where recent titles still play like the originals.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
*Nintendo announces game for 3DS*

"What the f*ck why are they releasing games for 3DS, shift it over to Switch and just make it HD!!"

*Nintendo announces Switch game that obviously started as 3DS game"

"What the f*ck this looks so ugly why can't they make it look better and btw this isn't hardcore enough for me!!"

*Nintendo announces development of mainline Pokemon title for Switch*

"Cool but we won't see it until 2019 at earliest"

*2018 Pokemon spinoff-type game is announced in addition to 2019 title"

"What the f*ck where is my traditional Pokemon what is this why can't they make a real Pokemon game!??"

Oct 26, 2017
Are you certain? People were saying there is online and no online yesterday then there were tweets saying only local. Well, I gotta ask then if there's online how will we train Pokémon for battles and get competitive Evs and Ivs if there are no wild encounters?

You, know. I actually have seen a ton of different reports and I'm not sure of the time line of them.
The most recent consensus I've seen in this thread seems to be that there was a translation error and online is in fact in.
But I can't say with absolute certainty...

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I can appreciate that. Obviously a Pokemon game is really going to be a "something for everyone" deal anyway.

It looks like a lot of fun to me. They younger generation will freaking love it and I am genuinely happy for them.

Lads, I would have flipped the f*ck out if this stuff was available when I was younger so I am delighted that young gamers who have yet to pick up any Pokemon game are going to have this as their first.

Thanks! In the end it's an additional experience for everyone. Cannot fathom how self proclaimed hardcore fans aren't excited about that.

Deleted member 26462

Oct 30, 2017
For everyone that doesn't know how PkmGO stats work, here's the deal:

CP in GO is like experience.

Everytime you increase CP...Health, Defense and attack stats increases with It, but It depends on IV.

For example, if i have a 96 IV Mewtwo, that means It has 15 attack stat, 15 Health stat, and 13 Defense stat (15 is maximum in GO).

When you increase CP, the Pokemon ingreses 0'5 levels...2 increases of CP is the equivalent of 1 total level up.

And everytime you level up your pkm, it's base stats depending on IV increases with level, but only as a equivalency of this base stats.

A 96 IV Pokemon with the same CP as a 68 IV Pokemon Will be always more Powerful due to base stats.

Is not as simple and casual as it seems, it's very comeplex for a kid.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
It's just the logical conclussion from the information we have. But I guess they shouldn't state it as a fact.

If let's go sells well, it'll stay as the "third year game" for pokémon, after 2 mainline games. (new gen, and remake or third version)
Heh, that's rich, coming from you. Also, why do you keep using that "interview" as basis for your points when there's no interview to begin with? You have been conveniently ignoring that.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The traditional could also be a new generation tho.
Alright this makes no sense.

Is the concept of remakes this much of a paradigm shift that they'd have to clarify it to the audience that new generations will also be made? Did they also clarify after announcing ORAS that they would still make brand new, non-remake games? Was "but will they make new Pokemon ever again?" a question that existed in anyone's mind at any point, even when people believed this was the only game coming in the foreseeable future?

I apologize if you meant something else.

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
I'm honestly completely OK with getting rid of the wild battles, it's not like the whole grinding process was rely integral for the games, after capturing one kind of Pokemon I usually run away or use repel once I have every one from that route.
And I'm sure that Gamefreak will put an alternative method to grind levels (may be rebattling trainers which would be a better alternative)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might as well put some sales predictions here.

I'm thinking this game will sell 10M in its life. Primarily because some people might not like the simplification, the aesthetic, or they're waiting on the next game in 2019. Also because this game will have its legs cut off in summer 2019 when promotion for Gen 8 starts

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Might as well put some sales predictions here.

I'm thinking this game will sell 10M in its life. Primarily because some people might not like the simplification, the aesthetic, or they're waiting on the next game in 2019. Also because this game will have its legs cut off in summer 2019 when promotion for Gen 8 starts
10M in 2018 is my prediction.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
But what does it mean to be a mainline game? What diferentiates it from the "spin-offs"?
One mainline game is one that clearly pushes the Pokémon brand forward, with new pokémon, and the ones that come after it with the same core gameplay and connectivity, which can either be ramakes like ORAS or third versions like USUM.

Let's Go looks like a completely new thing that they want to sell as "core product", instead of spin off. I guess we can see it more like an extension of pokémon Go business aimed at making its users get closer to the main games.

Sp1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
It's fascinating to see a mainstream development team so desperately refusing to move forward in game design. Obviously they don't have to, their fanbase will eat this up. Yet when even the Monster Hunter people finally moved forward, this series' lack of ambition is getting comical. Keeping only the bearable OG Pokemon designs would actually be an acceptable regression, still rocking the Gameboy world feel not so much. I would have actually been interested in a Yellow remake that feels like its actually making use of modern technology.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
But what does it mean to be a mainline game? What diferentiates it from the "spin-offs"?

It's essentially a remake of Yellow but with a couple simplified mechanics. Was Yellow a spinoff?

It's a Pokemon RPG where you travel a region, catch Pokemon, battle in gyms, battle the Evil Organization (TM) and finally take down the Elite Four. That's a mainline game.

JCH33T-

Mar 23, 2018
Manchester, United Kingdom
One mainline game is one that clearly pushes the Pokémon brand forward, with new pokémon, and the ones that come after it with the same core gameplay and connectivity, which can either be ramakes like ORAS or third versions like USUM.

Let's Go looks like a completely new think that they want to sell as "core product", instead of spin off. I guess we can see it more like an extension of pokémon Go business aimed at making its users get closer to the main games.
You just ignoring the Joe Merrick tweet where it was stated they're mainline?

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
Well then you could say the same about pokémon Go.

I see huge differences, like the lack of pokémon older than gen1, I saw CP levels, and it seems there's no items. So it looks like a simplified branch of pokémon, versus the more complete one.
Pokémon Go played completely different from the main series and had no story or real progression.
Let's Go is Pokémon Yellow with a new capturing and encounter mechanic based of Go - it is a simplified experience yes but still very much a core Pokémon one.

iamsgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If there are no random encounters, how will you catch Pokemon then?
I don't carry my switch around on the go, (docked mainly). As much as I want to get this game, it may not be meant for me from what it sounds like.
probably everything's on the screen, like an action RPG, except there's no battle. Also seems like they are treating this for home gaming, whatever that means

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
You just ignoring the Joe Merrick tweet where it was stated they're mainline?
No, I already said that they see it as mainline, but not the same as "classic" mainline. Because it's a new mainline branch.

It's complicated.

Pokémon Go played completely different from the main series and had no story or real progression.
Let's Go is Pokémon Yellow with a new capturing and encounter mechanic based of Go - it is a simplified experience yes but still very much a core Pokémon one.

Pokemon leafgreen and fire red were also remakes, but retained their mainline status by not deleting new pokémon, features and connectivity introduced that gen.

It's hard to classify but it's clearly not the mainline pokémon game most expected or want, USUM will remain as the latest mainline games for 1 more year, just like ORAS did, before the new gen comes out.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
A spin-off is usually a game that has conpletely different gameplay. Mystery dungeon, ranger, dash... those are spin-offs.

Just accept that LGP/LGE are mainline and that Pokémon just became "tick-tock" (new generation-lets go-new generation)

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's essentially a remake of Yellow but with a couple simplified mechanics. Was Yellow a spinoff?

It's a Pokemon RPG where you travel a region, catch Pokemon, battle in gyms, battle the Evil Organization (TM) and finally take down the Elite Four. That's a mainline game.
Sweet a new mainline game cant wait to import pokemon ive raised over the last 14 years

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We don't know what a level 9 means in this game. That might be high or low for that point of the game. Just because the gameplay has been simplified, it doesn't make it easier. I remember everyone complained about Bloodborne when the mechanic to recover health immediately after taking damage was revealed. People said it will be too easy and that it ruins what made Demon Souls so great but look at the reputation it has now, it's much loved on Era. Cutting the crap such 50 zubat battles in a cave and having me tediously whittle down an enemy's HP until it's red before throwing a Pokéball is a change I welcome, especially in a franchise where recent titles still play like the originals.
The moves Bulbasaur has all match up with it's learnset in Su/Mo. It's safe to assume that they won't be radically changing the levels at which Pokemon learn moves so that Venonat will most likely only have tackle as an attack. The worst it could do is annoy you with confuse ray and disable.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
It's fascinating to see a mainstream development team so desperately refusing to move forward in game design. Obviously they don't have to, their fanbase will eat this up. Yet when even the Monster Hunter people finally moved forward, this series' lack of ambition is getting comical. Keeping only the bearable OG Pokemon designs would actually be an acceptable regression, still rocking the Gameboy world feel not so much. I would have actually been interested in a Yellow remake that feels like its actually making use of modern technology.
Yeah, this is my take on this aswell.
I don't mind the return of Kanto or the first 150 Pokemon, but GF's ambition is laughable in my opinion.
The 2019 game better have some major shakeups.