• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never realized you could skip Lt. Surge's gym for quite some time in the original games. I always did them as soon as I reached their city, and in order. Now I'm trying to avoid them for as long as I can, and plan on doing them in reverse order for the hell of it. With HMs (or the equivalent abilites) no longer being tied to them, I bet I could reach Cinnabar Island before hitting a roadblock. I wonder how it'll feel to beat Vermilion City's gym with a late game team, poor dude's gonna be brutally destroyed.

For all the shit I gave these remakes, they actually appear to be the less linear games of all the mainline entries, and that's great (haven't played gen 5 nor the gen 2 remakes, but my understanding is the former are very linear, and I can't remember much about original gen 2). I hope gen 8 continues to offer this level of freedom in how to tackle gyms or trials.

A lot of this is more of a byproduct of Gen 1 and its story lite form.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of this is more of a byproduct of Gen 1 and its story lite form.
That's true, though the change to HMs helped a lot with that. Since Koga isn't needed to use Surf, you can now swim everywhere without having to beat him.

Starting the reseting for Shiny Mewtwo...2 hours into it so far. I'm not keeping track of how many resets it's taking though lol.
Good luck! I'm still traumatized for life after spending 104 hours resetting for a shiny Ho-Oh in Omega Ruby. It wasn't worth it at all, I prefer his regular colors haha.

So many of these look so bad that I feel no urge/pressure to get hardly any of them.
Relief!
I think I'll still let shinies be a thing that happens to me randomly rather than go out looking for them. I've grabbed 10 by chance since the DS, I'm happy with that.
Whoa, that's a huge number for just random chance! So far I've only found 2 shinies without deliberately trying, and both happened in Y: my starter Fennekin and a Pidgey in Friend Safari.

Mavrick07

Oct 28, 2017
I gave up on Master Trainers for a bit, decided to grind the E4. Got it down to 12 minutes per run gaining around 69,000 Pokedollars. I wanted to buy the crown... So got that, now I want to buy every item on sale, so back to the E4. Only need another 70k.

Once I've bought everything then I think the remaining Master Trainers are all that's left for me to do in the game, other than get Melmetal, but I got at least 1 more week to wait before I get 400 candy to evolve Meltan.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Hey guys, I'm hoping that somebody who has Let's Go Pikachu can help me out:

I need to get all four trade evolutions, as well as the following:

Sandshrew
Alolan Sandshrew
Oddish
Growlithe
Mankey
Alolan Grimer
Scyther

I'm more than willing to catch the corresponding Pokemon in my Eevee game. Also, my wife needs an Alolan Sandshrew as well. Please let me know if you can help and I will send you our friend codes!

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Just beat the Elite 4. The rival battle falls flat when your "rival" spends the entire game kissing your ass and getting destroyed every time you face them.
Still had an amazing time. Over 30 hours in just one week that I played this

Hey guys, I'm hoping that somebody who has Let's Go Pikachu can help me out:

I need to get all four trade evolutions, as well as the following:

Sandshrew
Alolan Sandshrew
Oddish
Growlithe
Mankey
Alolan Grimer
Scyther

I'm more than willing to catch the corresponding Pokemon in my Eevee game. Also, my wife needs an Alolan Sandshrew as well. Please let me know if you can help and I will send you our friend codes!

I'll help you. I need my Alolan Graveler leveled up to Golem as well as a Machamp.
I have all of those Pokemon except Scyther

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is my team currently (or partly theoretical) and these are the moves i am thinking of. I have not evolved Nidorina into Nidoqueen yet, or Kadabra into Alakazam. Nidorina is 38 and Kadabra is 33 at the moment (i caught them late as i was farming Amazing stats). When should i evolve them? Also any thoughts on this move list?

Charizard

Flamethrower
Roost
Air Slash
Dragon Pulse

Venusaur

Mega Drain
Sleep Powder
Sludge Bomb
Earthquake

Gyarados

Crunch
Waterfall or Surf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt or Dragon Pulse

Alakazam

Psychic
Dazzling Gleam
Shadow Ball
Protect

Pikachu

Thunderbolt
Brick Break
Dig
Iron Tail or Protect

Nidoqueen

Sludge Bomb
Flamethrower
Ice Beam
Drill Run

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
So I didn't do my research and delayed my Magikarp evolving until level 30 to learn flail. Now it didn't learn flail and I'm wondering how I can salvage this situation. I like it's nature and IVs so I kinda want to keep this one. Can I teach Gyarados flail eventually? Did I miss out on any important moves learned in Gyarados from levels 20 to 30?

Deleted member 16849

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I didn't do my research and delayed my Magikarp evolving until level 30 to learn flail. Now it didn't learn flail and I'm wondering how I can salvage this situation. I like it's nature and IVs so I kinda want to keep this one. Can I teach Gyarados flail eventually? Did I miss out on any important moves learned in Gyarados from levels 20 to 30?

I don't think Flail is in Let's Go, you might of looked up one of the older games. This game has less or missing moves compared to the other games.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So I was finally able to face Red and I beat him. Well, wasn't too hard considering my team

Aerodactyl lvl 100
Charizard lvl 85
Venusaur lvl 84
Blastoise lvl 100
Alolan Raichu lvl 86
Mewtwo lvl 100

So I feel like I'm done now. Don't want to beat all Master Trainers

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Seen a number of people stating that the starter Pikachu gets pretty broken at a certain point, should I just look to ditch him asap if I want to balance things out or is it not actually worth worrying about?

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
You're able to transfer shiny Pokemon from Pokemon Go, right? I just got to the Go Park in Fuchsia City, transferred some Pokemon over, and then realized that none of my shiny Pokemon are showing up in the menu on Go to transfer over.

Anything I'm missing? For what it's worth, I haven't played PoGo in two years, and just reinstalled it this past weekend after hearing about the community event, specifically for transferring to Let's Go.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
You're able to transfer shiny Pokemon from Pokemon Go, right? I just got to the Go Park in Fuchsia City, transferred some Pokemon over, and then realized that none of my shiny Pokemon are showing up in the menu on Go to transfer over.

Anything I'm missing? For what it's worth, I haven't played PoGo in two years, and just reinstalled it this past weekend after hearing about the community event, specifically for transferring to Let's Go.
Are they Gen 1 shinies?

And are they favorited?

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
So this just happened...didn't even take that long either. Like a little over 4 hours of resetting...

DtxqzK2UUAAVBIA.jpg

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is a long shot, but I've been soft-resetting for Shiny Mewtwo for days now and I've become desperate. I need some help finishing my Pokédex for that Shiny charm. Would anyone be willing to let me use their Mewtwo and Moltres for their Pokédex data? I also need to trade the four trade evolution Pokémon and a Sandshrew if possible.

I don't have Nintendo Online, but I'll activate the trial period just to do this if I can.

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aargh. Apparently if you close your game without saving after receiving Mew, it saves the Mew, but doesn't save the fact that Mew has been added to your Pokedex.

Wanted to soft-reset for a better nature, but apparently the game doesn't let you do that. So now I'm stuck without it registered on my Pokedex.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the dex and got the shiny charm, good thing I had lots of spare low level Pokemon on my phone :)

Feels like I'm done the game now, at least playing every day, until the next mystery box day

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Aargh. Apparently if you close your game without saving after receiving Mew, it saves the Mew, but doesn't save the fact that Mew has been added to your Pokedex.

Wanted to soft-reset for a better nature, but apparently the game doesn't let you do that. So now I'm stuck without it registered on my Pokedex.
Yup, that happened to me too. If you use Mew in battle, it shows up in your dex as Seen instead of Caught too. Pretty fucking stupid of them.

But then again, this game doesn't even soft reset commands to begin with so they just probably didn't care about people who want the right nature.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
2018120602462700-94-CAAF6-C83-EE682-D358-EB6183-EEF7-D28.jpg

This is the first time since Red that I've completed a Pokedex. Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I was able to trade with randoms. Only missing Moltres and Mewtwo now. Anyone willing to trade and trade back? I have a shiny Venomoth as collateral.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Can you complete the pokedex without mew? I know like you technically can't but can I 'complete' it without mew?

I just beat the elite four and def want to catch some legendaries before I put it down. Figured I could fill out some of my pokedex and maybe finish it as I go--but only if I don't need a Mew :/

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can you complete the pokedex without mew? I know like you technically can't but can I 'complete' it without mew?

I just beat the elite four and def want to catch some legendaries before I put it down. Figured I could fill out some of my pokedex and maybe finish it as I go--but only if I don't need a Mew :/
You just need the original 150 to complete the dex. Mew, Meltan, and Melmetal are not needed.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes. Mew, Meltan, and Melmetal are not required at all.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Whoa, that's a huge number for just random chance! So far I've only found 2 shinies without deliberately trying, and both happened in Y: my starter Fennekin and a Pidgey in Friend Safari.
Ha yeah I suppose it is!
Having completed living and form dex's, tried various battle teams, messed about with breeding and IV's down to some random stuff like using every Pokemon in at least one battle (and seeing all their amie animations lol) then I've spent... uhh... probably a couple... uhh... thousand hours across the games.
I think across that much time that number of shinies is probably a similar rate to yours and everybody else's :)

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ha yeah I suppose it is!
Having completed living and form dex's, tried various battle teams, messed about with breeding and IV's down to some random stuff like using every Pokemon in at least one battle (and seeing all their amie animations lol) then I've spent... uhh... probably a couple... uhh... thousand hours across the games.
I think across that much time that number of shinies is probably a similar rate to yours and everybody else's :)
Haha that's some serious dedication, I truly respect that! I'm content with just a living dex, although I'm still missing Stakataka and a non-shiny Poipole, along with Meltan and Melmetal. I've gotten several forms too, but some of them would be pretty much impossible for me to find, particularly Vivillon.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Haha that's some serious dedication, I truly respect that! I'm content with just a living dex, although I'm still missing Stakataka and a non-shiny Poipole, along with Meltan and Melmetal. I've gotten several forms too, but some of them would be pretty much impossible for me to find, particularly Vivillon.
I was just missing a final few too but Let's Go looming was the prompt I needed so I grabbed a copy of Ultra Moon (after already having Ultra Sun) and got the last ones. That rolled into finishing the forms too which I actually completed just the day before Let's Go lol.
I was dreading the Vivillons but it wasn't as painful as feared. I bred a bunch of my local pattern and constantly had one up on GTS offering a trade for any other Vivillon. Also, Reddit. Constantly scouring r/PokemonTrades and r/Vivillon (and just randomly shooting some PMS to those who seemed to be more prolific traders) helped get it wrapped up pretty quickly.
If you go for it, good luck!

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Well with Smash here, I've been playing that today and obviously with that had to give up my shiny Bulbasaur hunting.

You win little guy, you obviously didn't want to be my friend, you wanna live in the forest and thats ok. :(

50+hrs for nothing, worse than nothing because not only did Bulby not show but I ignored a shiny Pidgey I would have loved also in the process. Regrets.

Because I was closing the game anyway I did end up catching a shiny Bellsprout that appeared as I was about to tap out because meh. I think I used all my luck on catching that shiny Ponyta for my wife who she loves... then we caught another one because of course we did, out of 150 Pokemon we end up getting doubles instead of the only other one I spent all that time looking for. :|

Oh well.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I'm still looking to get a Hitmonchan and a Pinsir.

I've got a spare Hitmonlee, a bunch of Kabutos, Omanytias, Dratinis.

Mavrick07

Oct 28, 2017
Complete Dex is 001-150 so you should be OK.

I'm currently farming for Candy and crossing my fingers for any Shiny at all to appear. I've only found 1 in over 120 hours of gameplay. Which is more than I have found in the last 5 games so shouldn't complain.

By the time I'm done Candy farming I should be ready to take on my next 6 Master Trainers. Think I'm down to 100 left now.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Posted in the wrong thread earlier, is the pokeball + worth it? Does it add anything?

Mavrick07

Oct 28, 2017
Posted in the wrong thread earlier, is the pokeball + worth it? Does it add anything?

Nothing except for Mew.

I didn't find it enhanced my experience at all. I played 90% of the game with it up until I beat the E4. Then I started using both Joycons slotted in to the Joycon grip for synchro catches and found it was a million times easier to actually control your throw that way that I wish I'd never used the Pokeball.

If you want Mew then it's pretty much only worth it for that, then I guess you could trade it in and try and recoup some of your cash. Mines just sat on top of my Xbox gathering dust now.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's worth it, it's fun to use. I used it for the whole game up until I completed the Pokedex.

Also the novelty of the noises/vibrations/etc don't get old to me lol.

FirMatt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boston MA
Hey crew :). Could someone help me get the Pikachu version exclusives? I'll happily trade for Eevee exclusives and other goodies. PM me.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have time to help me with some trades? I have the Pikachu version so I need Meowth, Bellsprout, and Vulpix to fill out my pokedex. Also wouldn't mind trading my Machoke, Haunter, and Graveler to get them evolved

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I caught Mewtwo and I think I'm done with the game.

I was done a long time before that but powered through out of some weird obligation to the series. I've not been in this thread much but what are peoples thoughts on this game overall? I was personally pretty disappointed, it seems like they took the most plain and vanilla choice for every option they had when designing it.

The only little thing that got any reaction from me was

But even that was just a minor "heh, that's cool".

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
The partner Eevee and partner Pikachu cannot evolve. You have to catch wild ones and evolve them.
Cool, thanks for the clarification!

I just won the eighth gym badge the other night, so it's onto the Pokémon League. I'll probably stick with the game until I finish the Pokédex, even after I beat the story.

Speaking to the larger topic of the game's quality, as someone who didn't play a Pokémon game before X on 3DS (and therefore never played Yellow), I think they did a great job with it. The simplifications they made haven't bothered me one bit. I've got about 24 hours into it and it's still fun.

FirMatt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boston MA
I actually ended up loving this game. Haven't enjoyed a Pokemon game this much since AlphaSapphire. Sun and Moon had so many issues and it nearly killed my enthusiasm entirely for the series.

- Another tropical location? Gen 3 did this, and did it better.
- With Switch around the corner, the graphics looked ANCIENT.
- The starter designs were actually pretty excellent, but they ruined litten with Incineroar.
- The game will NOT shut up. Like, Jesus christ. Just let me play.
- Every single town and route felt aesthetically identical to one another.
- Kahunas and trials are just not my scene. I loved the gym format so much more.
- That stupid camera mechanic.

But with Let's Go:

- No clutter at all. Everything is streamlined and simple.
- NPCs don't talk anymore than they did in Gen 1, which is fantastic. The story gets out of the way and just lets you play.
- I loved the callbacks to the original anime series and Yellow, and they don't hit you over the head with them.
- Battles are a joy, and look excellent. It feels like Pokemon Stadium finally come to life as a full game. Transitions in and out of battles are snappy too.
- The catching mechanic originally irked me, especially in docked mode. Why couldn't I just use my Pro Controller? But catching in portable mode was a breeze, and I came to actually really enjoyed this mechanic. And my partners ended up loving the two player co-op system too.
- You can switch Pokemon right from your inventory. Yaaaaas.
- You can change nicknames without having to go to the name rater. More Yaaaaas.
- The Coach battles are actually really clever, teaching you how a move strategy works before giving you the TM to do it yourself.
- Your starter is absolutely OP to a stupid degree, but I benched Eevee as soon as I got a Bulbasaur.
- And the end to random encounters originally concerned me, but I absolutely love it now, and they should carry this over to the main games. I love seeing the Pokemon roam on the map, and getting to choose what I'd like to battle, just like DQXI.

Am I missing something here? This game came out on the same week as Fallout 76, and there's a game that's ACTUALLY awful. In comparison, I actually feel more encouraged for Pokemons's future after playing this. It was an absolute joy.

Oct 27, 2017
I actually ended up loving this game. Haven't enjoyed a Pokemon game this much since AlphaSapphire. Sun and Moon had so many issues and it nearly killed my enthusiasm entirely for the series.

- Another tropical location? Gen 3 did this, and did it better.
- With Switch around the corner, the graphics looked ANCIENT.
- The starter designs were actually pretty excellent, but they ruined litten with Incineroar.
- The game will NOT shut up. Like, Jesus christ. Just let me play.
- Every single town and route felt aesthetically identical to one another.
- Kahunas and trials are just not my scene. I loved the gym format so much more.
- That stupid camera mechanic.

But with Let's Go:

- No clutter at all. Everything is streamlined and simple.
- NPCs don't talk anymore than they did in Gen 1, which is fantastic. The story gets out of the way and just lets you play.
- I loved the callbacks to the original anime series and Yellow, and they don't hit you over the head with them.
- Battles are a joy, and look excellent. It feels like Pokemon Stadium finally come to life as a full game. Transitions in and out of battles are snappy too.
- The catching mechanic originally irked me, especially in docked mode. Why couldn't I just use my Pro Controller? But catching in portable mode was a breeze, and I came to actually really enjoyed this mechanic. And my partners ended up loving the two player co-op system too.
- You can switch Pokemon right from your inventory. Yaaaaas.
- You can change nicknames without having to go to the name rater. More Yaaaaas.
- The Coach battles are actually really clever, teaching you how a move strategy works before giving you the TM to do it yourself.
- Your starter is absolutely OP to a stupid degree, but I benched Eevee as soon as I got a Bulbasaur.
- And the end to random encounters originally concerned me, but I absolutely love it now, and they should carry this over to the main games. I love seeing the Pokemon roam on the map, and getting to choose what I'd like to battle, just like DQXI.

Am I missing something here? This game came out on the same week as Fallout 76, and there's a game that's ACTUALLY awful. In comparison, I actually feel more encouraged for Pokemons's future after playing this. It was an absolute joy.

I feel the exact opposite to this. This is the first main Pokémon game that I'm not going to finish. That's 20 years of religiously playing every single main Pokémon game so far. I just got out of Mt. Moon and I just can't take this game anymore. It's absolutely not what I want from a Pokémon game, at all.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Not to add to the negativity, but this is the first Pokemon that I have no desire to finish the dex and will end up being my least played Pokemon game with a sub 40 hours. Even the original Red and Blue managed over 100 hours. I really hope it's just this game and I'm not losing my love of Pokemon.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys,

anyone around who could trade me a Pinsir? We could immediately trade back or I could give you a Scythor for it.

Also perhaps a long shot, but could anyone trade me a Mewtwo? I would trade it right back, I only need it for my Pokedex. Pinsir and Mewtwo are the last two that I'm missing. I want to get the Shiny Charm and then try my luck with Mewtwo resets for the Shiny Mewtwo :D As a thank you, I could gift you either Shiny Chansey or Shiny Dodrio.

Hit me up as well if you are interested in either of them to trade for another Shiny. I got both of them as duplicates and I'm looking for all kinds of Shiny Pokemon :)

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Hey guys,

anyone around who could trade me a Pinsir? We could immediately trade back or I could give you a Scythor for it.

Also perhaps a long shot, but could anyone trade me a Mewtwo? I would trade it right back, I only need it for my Pokedex. Pinsir and Mewtwo are the last two that I'm missing. I want to get the Shiny Charm and then try my luck with Mewtwo resets for the Shiny Mewtwo :D As a thank you, I could gift you either Shiny Chansey or Shiny Dodrio.

Hit me up as well if you are interested in either of them to trade for another Shiny. I got both of them as duplicates and I'm looking for all kinds of Shiny Pokemon :)
I would help with my Pinsir and Mewtwo, any chance in return you'd help me evolve Kadabra/Graveler/Machoke/Haunter? Those evolutions are also the last that I need for my dex, but I'm looking to keep the ones I have as they're leveled up for master trainers.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
I would help with my Pinsir and Mewtwo, any chance in return you'd help me evolve Kadabra/Graveler/Machoke/Haunter? Those evolutions are also the last that I need for my dex, but I'm looking to keep the ones I have as they're leveled up for master trainers.

I already got Pinsir and Mewtwo now, but thanks :) Sure I can help you though, I can trade them back one after another. Just send me a message with your desired combination