• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon-Lets-Go.png

General.png

Developer: Game Freak
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release Date: November 16, 2018
Genre: RPG
Multiplayer: Yes
Pro Controller: No
amiibo: No
eShop Download Size: 4.1GB
Official Site: US | JP

about_3.png

reigon-map_2x.jpg

Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu/Eevee!
are the first new Pokémon entries for Nintendo Switch, a re-imagining of Pokémon Yellow but utilizing elements of Pokémon GO for a perfect first traditional Pokémon experience. Taking place in the Kanto region, battle your way through eight gym leaders, take on the evil Team Rocket, and challenge the Pokémon League with your trusted partner Pokémon at your side!

There are no wild Pokémon battles in this game, nor are there random encounters. As you wander through the game's world, you'll encounter wild Pokémon in fields of tall grass. If you want to attempt to catch the Pokémon, simply approach it. Once you touch the Pokémon, you get a chance to throw Poké Balls at it. The wild Pokémon will move around and may try to intimidate you, but don't get distracted! Just wave your controller with proper timing to throw a Poké Ball. If you're playing the Nintendo Switch in handheld mode, you'll move the system around to aim and then throw the Poké Ball by pressing the A Button.

Being a re-imagining of the original games, only the original 151 are in this game. They did include special NPCs to trade for the Alolan forms however.

Partner Pokémon

The main version difference between the two versions is your partner Pokémon. This Pikachu and Eevee are special. They can't evolve, but this is made up for with increased stats and special moves. Pikachu and Eevee tag along with you on the field at all times, even when they are boxed. They're also incredibly handy on the field, as they replace the traditional HM functionality with special Secret Techniques, which do handy things like chop down trees and surf across bodies of water, all without taking up move space!

As you shower your partner with love, it'll sometimes send you a sign during battle. Wave your controller when the partner sign appears to have your partner use its special partner power. This special power gets stronger the higher your friendship is. Your partner may even send you a sign when it's not the one battling. If you respond, it'll cheer on the Pokémon in battle by boosting its stats!

Pikachu
-Pika Popow (Normal / ?) - The more Pikachu loves its Trainer, the greater the move's power. It never misses.
-Splishy Splash (Water / 90) - The user charges a huge wave with electricity and hits the opposing Pokémon with the wave. This may also leave the opposing Pokémon with paralysis.
-Zippy Zap (Electric / 50) - The user attacks the target with bursts of electricity at high speed. This move always goes first and results in a critical hit.
-Floaty Fall (Flying / 90) - The user floats in the air, and then dives at a steep angle to attack the target. This may also make the target flinch.

Eevee
Veevee Volley (Normal / ?) - The more Eevee loves its Trainer, the greater the move's power. It never misses.
Bouncy Bubble (Water / 90) - The user attacks by shooting water bubbles at the target. It then absorbs water and restores its HP by half the damage taken by the target.
Buzzy Buzz (Electric / 90) - The user shoots a jolt of electricity to attack the target. This also leaves the target with paralysis.
Sizzly Slide (Fire / 90) - The user cloaks itself in fire and charges at the target. This also leaves the target with a burn.
Glitzy Glow (Psychic / 90) - The user bombards the target with telekinetic force. A wondrous wall of light is put up to weaken the power of the opposing Pokémon's special moves.
Baddy Bad (Dark / 90) - The user acts bad and attacks the target. A wondrous wall of light is put up to weaken the power of the opposing Pokémon's physical moves.
Sappy Seed (Grass / 90) - The user grows a gigantic stalk that scatters seeds to attack the target. The seeds drain the target's HP every turn.
Freezy Frost (Ice / 90) - The user attacks with a crystal made of cold frozen haze. It eliminates every stat change among all the Pokémon engaged in battle.
Sparkly Swirl (Fairy / 90) - The user attacks the target by wrapping it with a whirlwind of an overpowering scent. This also heals all status conditions of the user's party.

You can play with your partner Pikachu or Eevee when you're not in battle by selecting the Pikachu or Eevee icon on your main menu. The more time you spend with your partner, the more it'll grow to love you! As you become closer, it'll give you high fives or even find gifts for you as you travel. Lots of good things can happen if you're friends with your partner!

You can also dress up your partner Pokémon in various outfits, change its hairstyle, and give it accessories!

POtjWCOliEob6ma6v5Lnkq8flYWYYXAm.jpg

nbSgndAXymeJRqxjl4mrZI1m9ey6mn6f.jpg

Media.png

Screenshots

Trailers

Overview Trailer
Full Playlist (14 videos)

Reviews
OpenCritic: 83
Metacritic: 81

ResetEra Review Thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/pokémon-lets-go-pikachu-eevee-review-thread.80697/

Extras.png

Your lead Pokémon follows you and depending on how big it is you can even ride it in the overworld!

p18_02.jpg
p18_01.jpg

Version Exclusives

Screen_Shot_2018-11-15_at_12.07.35_AM.png

Pikachu
Scyther
Grimer -> Muk
Sandshrew -> Sandslash
Oddish -> Gloom -> Vileplume
Growlithe -> Arcanine
Mankey -> Primeape

Eevee
Pinsir
Koffing -> Weezing
Ekans -> Arbok
Bellsprout -> Weepinbell -> Victreebel
Vulpix -> Ninetales
Meowth -> Persian

Online battling and trading works by two by two players entering the same link code (instead of 0-9 you have ten different Pokémon) at the same time to pair up. As an example, if you and I both entered the code Charmander Charmander Eevee around the same time, we'd get paired up. The community has used this method as a way to facilitate playing with people outside your friends list by using the universal code Pikachu Pikachu Pikachu.

Here's a YouTube video explaining it better:

Local Multiplayer

The games take advantage of the Nintendo Switch and allow for easy drop-in/drop-out local multiplayer! Simply shake a second Joy-Con to join in. The second player will be able to use the Pokémon in your party to battle with you for 2-on-1 against the CPUs, and will even have a Pokémon out in the overworked following them as well! You'll even be able to catch Pokémon together, synchronizing the throws resulting in a higher chance of capture.

Master Trainers

Once you become the Pokémon League Champion, your journey is far from over! After earning that coveted title, you will find new special Trainers scattered throughout the Kanto region. These are the Master Trainers, and each of them is considered the strongest Trainer for a specific Pokémon. That's right—there's a Master Trainer for every Pokémon in the Kanto region!

Some Master Trainers will have a simple request for you, but most of them will want to battle! The only catch is that they will only battle against the species of Pokémon they love. You'll need to train up each of your Pokémon to take on these tough challengers. Because these Master Trainer battles are true tests of you and your Pokémon's strength, neither you nor the Master Trainer will be able to use items during the match.

Best the Master Trainers in battle to earn their title, proving that you're also a master of their favorite species. The titles that you've earned can even be displayed in-game during Link Battles, so your friends can admire your skills. Show what a devoted Trainer you are by challenging all the Master Trainers!

Poké Ball Plus

pokeball-plus-device@2x.png

The Poké Ball Plus is a Poké Ball-shaped device that can be used to play Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! in place of your Joy-Con. You'll be able to throw Poké Balls in-game with a flick of your wrist! In addition to having motion controls, the device also vibrates, plays sounds, and lights up with a variety of colors. With the Poké Ball Plus, you can also take one of your favorite Pokémon from these games for a stroll as you go about your daily life in the real world. It also works as a Pokémon GO Plus in Pokémon GO, auto-spinning PokéStops and catching Pokémon with a press of the button.

The device retails for $49.99, or in a bundle with the game for $99.99.

Pokemon_Go.png

There is a deep connection between Pokémon GO and Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu/Eevee! Pokémon originally discovered in the Kanto region that you have caught in Pokémon GO can be brought into these two new Nintendo Switch games.

The GO Park complex in Fuchsia City is where your Pokémon will arrive after you've synced your Pokémon GO game with Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu/Eevee! There, you'll be able to see your Pokémon friends running around and having fun! The GO Park complex has a total of 20 GO Parks, with each capable of holding 50 Pokémon. That's a whopping 1,000 Pokémon that you can keep! If you want to explore the Kanto region with the Pokémon you've brought over from Pokémon GO, you'll need to catch them again in the GO Park complex first.

Although Pokémon that you've brought from Pokémon GO into Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu/Eevee! can't be sent back to Pokémon GO, transferring your Pokémon over will earn you handy rewards in Pokémon GO that will help you in that game.

Play Yard

Once you have 25 of the same species of Pokémon in the GO Park complex, you'll be able to challenge yourself to a special minigame in the Play Yard. In the minigame, you'll need to lead all the Pokémon into the goal area within the time limit. The Pokémon will all be doing their own thing at the start of the minigame, but they'll start following you once you get close enough to them. Watch out for the obstacle Pokémon that appear from time to time, though. Bump into one of them, and the Pokémon you've been gathering will get surprised and run away! If you manage to get all the Pokémon into the goal area within three minutes, you win! Your prize is Candies, which will prove invaluable as you put together your Pokémon team.

Special New Pokémon

character-1@2x.png

Meltan is a brand new species of Pokémon! You can obtain this Pokémon by receiving a mystery box when transferring from Pokémon GO to Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu/Eevee! Upon opening the box, you have thirty minutes to catch as many Meltan as you can. You can repeat this process many times, until you get enough candy to evolve it into Melmetal.

character-1b@2x.png

Meltan and Melmetal are the only Pokémon outside of the original 151 you can transfer into these games.

FAQ.png

Are motion controls required?

No, there is an alternate control scheme for catching Pokémon, however motion controls cannot be turned off.

Is it really just the 151? What about cross-gen evolutions?
It really is just the 151. No Crobat here, sorry!

How do I get Alola versions in this game?
Special NPCs are scattered throughout Kanto who will trade you for the Kanto equivalent. You can also trade them in from Pokémon GO.

No abilities?? No held items??
No. These games are intended to be beginner friendly and Game Freak has removed these two elements to lower the barrier of entry. Before you freak out though...

How does this affect Gen 8?
Game Freak and The Pokémon Company have re-iterated that this is just a special one-off thing in an attempt to capitalize on the insane success of Pokémon GO and have no bearing on next year's games. You can expect a more traditional Pokémon experience then.

You forgot about something!
Please feel free to message me about anything that needs to be added to the OT!

Join the PokéEra Discord!
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Join the NintendoEra Discord!
https://discord.gg/bnUCaya

Last edited:

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. With no random battles I'll treat this as a comfy game I can return to before going to bed every day.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Great OT! Impatiently waiting for this despite almost assuredly being sleep deprived when it launches on the eShop!

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I really hope that visible Pokémon in the field carries over to Gen 8. That's the one part of LGPE that I feel is an objective improvement over the current system.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a really really nice OT. It's not overly bloated but it gives an amazing amount of information.

Some might complain that previous OTs have more information, and this is a more stripped back experience. But given this OT is supposed to be an introduction to the game, I think it works perfectly. So far the early reception to the OT is great!

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait! I'm getting the limited edition console with evee edition and pokeball for myself and pikachu + pokeball for my wife. :)

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Great OT, OP! Title is brilliant lol

Really looking forward to Friday, can't wait to get some pokémon action again after having last played Sapphire on my GameBoy Advance! Getting the Pikachu version, because Arcanine is da bomb.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Let's fucking go!

So hyped, can't wait for tomorrow. Been waiting a long time for such Pokemon experience.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that visible Pokémon in the field carries over to Gen 8. That's the one part of LGPE that I feel is an objective improvement over the current system.

Yeah, I want to see visible Pokemon with areas designed with that in mind. Right now it's just putting visible Pokemon on the original layout which is kinda awkward.

Kinoli

Nov 27, 2017
My gf is picking it up this weekend. I'll start with her and see how the game is, but I really have some curiosity.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really follow the game, just pre-ordered Evee for me and Pikachu for my niece for her for Christmas. I didn't even know there were no wild battles, just Pokeball chucking, so that was a weird first impression.

I just wish Nintendo weren't allergic to options sometimes. The first console Pokemon had some appeal to me, but because the vertical Joycon isn't comfortable and you have to use motion to catch Pokemon like that, it is an exclusively handheld game for me. The controls in handheld would easily map to 2 Joycons/Pro controller so I don't get it. Gahhh.

Powering through just to trade with my niece at Christmas now. Beat the first gym and enjoyed the little story twist, so hopefully those moments can help me through.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the OT!

This could be my very first Pokemon game. I have been playing games for 20 years and I somehow have not played a single entry of this franchise. Sounds like a good entry point, judging from the review from gamexplain.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Been enjoying this game so far. Got that nostalgic feeling back for me even if the whole wild random Pokémon is gone.

ForteanMan

Oct 25, 2017
Dongguan, China
I have the Pikachu Pokeball Bundle from Amazon coming with my Mother in Law next week (which I got for free with Amazon credit stuff), but the urge to get a digital copy and play early is calling me out with it's siren song.

Great OT by the way and I can't believe I've gotten myself excited about this game. Ah well, who am I kidding? Having the game be co-op of sorts was enough to sell me on it initially anyway.

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How many candies do you get in Pokemon Go when you transfer to Let's Go? I was wondering if there was any benefit for PoGo players other than the weekly Meltan box

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
One thing I need clarification on before purchase: how does this work in handheld mode? Is it just the motion controls are active during wild battles? Can I still press a button to throw a ball (but forced to aim with motion)?

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
That title, my god...

About the exclusive Pokémon... are Scyther and Pinsir exclusive again?