• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
When we all played Pokemon Yellow or the first generations of Pokemon, we were all kids. Many years later, we are all adults and some even old men/women. We expect a game filled with nostalgia, sprinkled with complex and modern game play.

But we forgot that kid many years ago, where we play games for fun, no matter how simple they seem. This game is for the new generation of kids.

OP
OP
Galava

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I mostly ask cause I found the handholding in previous ones to get kinda obnoxious. I'm interested in these, even if every video Nintendo put out made me go "why?" The review snippet should I've read sound great.
Me too. I value a lot the "you can do this by doing this, now i'll leave you alone, bye". And just start exploring and playing the game, instead of spending 3 hours with uneccessary conversations.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Looking forward to playing this with my daughter in co-op.

I love that they took out random battles. It'll make it easier for me to catch them all.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
some people itt are really worked up over these supposed "hardcore gatekeepers"

god forbid they be disappointed in a Pokemon game removing the vast majority of the Pokemon and lots of mechanics

Thank you.

And the fact that they're charging more for this when it has less features than the 3DS games, or hell, even the GBA remakes, is awful. They could have easily made these games work as a casual experience without stripping out so many features.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
So excited for this game. The lack of Pro controller support kills me, but it is what it is. Maybe I'll buy that silly Pokeball controller

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
B-but Era said these games wouldn't be good!

I like that they still give each version a separate Metacritic page, so you can say stuff like, "Technically, Pokemon Diamond is the better of the two." Lol.

This place is a small echo chamber of people. I don't put much regard into what they think will one a hit or not. The game will sells millions and millions and sell hardware and be a huge hit. Remember the Switch was gonna be a failure if we read those old posts.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Review scores for Pokémon games continue to be the weirdest.

Pokémon Emerald being the worst at 76 MC says all.

BhetjaXIV

Sep 8, 2018
Belgium
God forbid thinking that this:
cUC7iXY.png

Gn4czJq.jpg

is a little compliated right? Maybe admit that the games became complicated for some people that don't follow the games as closely as you. gatekeeping at it's worst.

Psssst that's just the formulas that tells the game how it should work and psssst let's go has the same math logic implemented just not the same variables.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
the amount of salt this game is generating is unprecedented

just ignore it until the main game comes out, would it kill you to have some patience?

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

god forbid they be disappointed in a Pokemon game removing the vast majority of the Pokemon and lots of mechanics

We're just tired of them shitting up every single Pokémon thread. We get it. You're not pleased. We have known what these games are for several months now. At some point you're no longer adding anything worthwhile to the discussion.

the amount of salt this game is generating is unprecedented

just ignore it until the main game comes out, would it kill you to have some patience?

Some people really have a lot of trouble with the idea that perhaps they aren't part of the target demographic

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
These games are being way more transparent about how stats work than any other previous game in the series, EVs were hidden and nobody could guess how to boost them, EV points, EV reducing berries, Vitamins, all criptic as hell, candies at least tell you how to explicitely boost a stat. You can't tell me that they weren't simplified.

And no, that doesn't mean "Less content", less Pokémon and items are indeed less content, but that doesn't male the games any better or worse.
EVs have been completely visible for over 5 years now, they're even on the stat screen in gen 7. IVs have been completely visible for 2 years, and the descriptors for the number ranges have been around since gen 5. The games' deeper training mechanics have gotten more and more transparent as time goes on. Let's Go has its own unique IV shenanigans going on with chain capturing that aren't explicitly explained or visualized to the player. Candy bonuses aren't any more explicitly defined than EVs are in gen 7. The only simplification that has occurred is the wholesale removal of breeding, abilities, and hold items, because they'd rather just toss them than provide the player with clearer information.

And I'd certainly argue that a Pokemon game with fewer available Pokemon is worse off than a game with most/all of the roster attainable

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading the reviews it seems this is for the Pokemon Go crowd, which I'm not. I'll skip this one and wait for next years entry

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I see that the impressions of the Pokéball Plus are mixed, mostly because of the lack of inputs and the main button being the clickable stick. I'm a little disapointed in that regard.

Hopefully it's not so bad and my son likes it regardless because I'm buying it for him. Can you believe I got the game for 50 CAD but the damn ball is 65 CAD... (meaning I save only 5 bucks from the bundle)

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
That might be a fair critique, but that makes stuff like Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's Metacritic scores look very weird in comparion to Explorers of the Sky, considering the many of the same criticisms could be lobbied at Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon, with the added cutscenes with the Ultra Recon Squad just slowing down the existing story that's otherwise largely the same, and some of the best scenes, like the ones involving you following Lusamine and Guzma into Ultra Space and then fighting her, being cut. But yet Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon reviewed just fine and have like a what 84 on Metacritic, so something's definitely off in how mainline vs spinoffs are handled, or something. That's a very huge discrepancy that can't help but stand out to me.

Believe me, I had the same issues with USUM as I did with Crystal, in that it was too Deja Vu and boring to be worth redoing. At least Emerald/Platinum's changes make it fun on a replay, but Crystal and USUM didn't really address anything in the main story (and in Crystal's case, nothing at all in the US version save for making Kurt easier to deal with). I don't fully think reviews tend to give spinoffs a fair shake either for what they are (different than the main games) but considering how some like Dash and Pokepark are so, so bad, I can see why reviewers don't have much hope for them

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Yikes at some of the posts. Its okay not to like something people, but remember that others might not share your disdain.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You seem really angry about a Pokemon game.

Here's the deal: you're mad about "nostalgia reviews" or whatever. I, and apparently others in this thread just want more Pokemon. Two different opinions and yet the world doesn't end. It's almost like we can both move on with our lives and still be okay.
I mean, I'm okay too. I'm just disappointed with how Pokémon reviews focus too much on nostalgia like the franchise ended in the 90's and is coming back now, and how much the main series is losing in quality because of this sentiment.

I legit don't have any hope of gen 8 being any better and this used to be one of my favorite series in gaming. Yet seems like people don't allow others to share their disappointment in the direction this franchise is taking.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017

Yeah, people called these hardcore players as gatekeeping, but I haven't seen any one of them wish for past pokemon and mechanics to be removed in a main line game. It was genwunners wishing for a reboot to happen to get rid of them. These argurments were real, and people were serious about them.

83da85455e8e0d44650bd06b7e5dd808b8c71d16_hq.jpg

MOD Edit: Please don't post imagery that has homophobic language

Last edited by a moderator:

wolftendo

Oct 30, 2017
Seeing a lot of reviewers dismissing the huge lack of content and saying "it has nostalgia, so it's fine".

Makes these reviews completely worthless. Seems like most reviewers don't care about gameplay for the Pokémon series as usual -- that explains the low scores for the Mystery Dungeon series, while stuff like this gets a pass.

Nostalgia isn't mark of quality. This just looks alienating for anyone who actually follows the series.

Any review that doesn't agree with me is worthless. If 100% of reviews don't agree with me then the entire universe of reviewers is worthless. Nice logic you got there.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched a couple of reviews but is there a review that's shows how much movement is required in handheld mode to catch Pokémon?

I'm disabled and at times when the pain kicks up my movement is extremely limited.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any review that doesn't agree with me is worthless. If 100% of reviews don't agree with me then the entire universe of reviewers is worthless. Nice logic you got there.
I'm criticizing the text (for some of these), not the scores. "It has nostalgia, so the flaws don't matter" isn't something I can agree with.

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
I'm SHOOK!!! Being a believer in this game and being hyped for it feels rewarding. Happy the scores are good and reviews are promising

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Of course it's not necessary. But pokémon is kinda bloated right now - it can and will continue to be - but what harm there is to release a non bloated good game? Compare it to each first pokémon games on nintendo consoles (dash, rumble) to see the difference.
They're giving the first dose in RPG form, that's all and that's great.
Sure its bloated, but those formulas are not why. Its mostly because GF starts a new gimmick and drops it next game without removing it (see: mega evolutions were a big focus, but then sidelined for Z moves). Even then, I wouldnt call it complicated.
The point pic related was to illustrate just how wrong it is to think that people can't find the games that came before as complicated, while also freely critizing the LGPE games as "oversimplified" "The casual audience are not babies!"
But its not complicated. These background calculations exist in every game. How does Lets Go know wether you captured a Pokemon or not? 1+1=2? No its a complicated formula, just like the ones you posted, but its not necesarry to know, just like the ones you posted.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mad with the direction my favourite series is taking, yes.
This reviews only tell GF that this is a good road, and that people don't care about losing 80% of team variety.

But... they announced gen 8 for next year already. It's not like they can redesign next year's game completely to make it seem more like this game, that's not how game development works.

In fact that's like, the last thing they would do. The whole point of having this game, and potentially branch of the series, is to be more accessible than the core games. Then hopefully transition people towards the core games.

They announced gen 8 with this game for a specific reason, and that's to assure longtime fans that they aren't abandoning them. I honestly don't understand how people have missed that.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
There's a game for their biggest fans coming next year.

I am really confused.

We have no idea how that game will turn out and if it'll leave out features like the National Dex again, or simply not be content filled to be worth $60. That's why we aren't blindly excited for the next one since we'd like to see something hopeful from it rather than "it plays like the older games" (which isn't LGPE's problem for me, it's the difficulty/content)

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
These posts represent what will be the majority of Let's Go buyers. You know...people that haven't played Pokemon games in awhile, or when they do, just dabble in it from time to time. I'm think about buying this as well, after my last Pokemon game was Platinum...couldn't make it past the halfway mark because the random battles were so boring and repetitive. This game significantly reduces that time sink.

The 2nd most Let's Go buyers will be the usual hardcore (not all, but most of the hardcore will eventually buy it), and then people who may have never played Pokemon, or have only played Pokemon Go.
I've played and finished X and Moon, I'm just happy to play one without random encounters and one that continues the elimination of HMs started by Sun/Moon

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I watched a couple of reviews but is there a review that's shows how much movement is required in handheld mode to catch Pokémon?

I'm disabled and at times when the pain kicks up my movement is extremely limited.

A month or so ago they confirmed you could just throw with a button press in handheld mode. The gyro is not turned off though, so some movement of the console can affect the camera motion I believe.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
XY got a fucking 88 by virtue of just being a 3d game.

On DS

D/P - 85
Pl - 83
HG/SS - 87
B/W - 87
B2/W2 - 80

Platinum and B2/W2 are two of the most liked games, and they are the worst rated.

On 3DS

X/Y - 88
OR/AS - 83
S/M - 87
US/UM - 84

X/Y is universally considered the weakest of the 3DS games (and probably the weakest, period) and it's the best rated.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They announced gen 8 with this game for a specific reason, and that's to assure longtime fans that they aren't abandoning them. I honestly don't understand how people have missed that.
A lot of people are worried that if this does well they'll either abandon the traditional games after Gen 8 or replace the traditional remakes with Let's Go.