• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Well, this list just makes Mimikyu look ironic. I want Ken Sugimori to draw Mimikyu's real form to celebrate its popularity over Pikachu.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
That top three feels weird to me, but the rest of the list looks great.

I've just never understood the appeal of Lucario, and alongside the other two (who I do understand the appeal of) I just didn't realise they were 'that' popular.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Simisage was ROBBED

Also get fucked Pikachu, Chandelure is more popular lmao. Goes To show that just because youre a mascot doesnt make you the favorite

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That top three feels weird to me, but the rest of the list looks great.

I've just never understood the appeal of Lucario, and alongside the other two (who I do understand the appeal of) I just didn't realise they were 'that' popular.
Lucario is a rad humanoid aura fighting/steel that has one of the best movies in the franchise before his gen came out, which coincidentally, was when most people in their 20s now started getting into pokemon

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
Wow at the Unova results. Chandelure truly is the most popular. I feel bad for Emboar. But what truly puzzles me is the one Pokémon they decided to give a Mega to isn't in the top 30. Poor Audino. :(

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
what the heck is rufflet doing.
im okay with lucario if only because lucario amd the mystery of mew is a legit great movie.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Only just noticed Luxray is 21st on the top 30 overall. That's wild. I wonder if it's even going to return in the DLC or continue being ignored. Game Freak haven't shown any interest in the line since Gen 4 when it was introduced.

Scizor not up there >(

At least Corviknight and Umbreon made it pretty high.

Well Scizor's number 5 on the Johto list with 34k votes. It's not a bad spot all things considered.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's worth noting that Greninja was the most popular Pokemon in 2016 by Japanese voters.

Time for the queen to shine.
giphy.gif
Gardevoir for Smash.

Also, TAKE THAT, Blaziken! Sceptile is the best Hoenn starter! YEAH!

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Also, get fucked Pikachu, Chandelure is more popular lmao. Goes To show that just because you're a mascot doesn't make you the favourite.

This Google survey isn't exactly the best representation of what's considered the most popular Pokemon because there's a bunch of fans who were either unaware of its existence or just couldn't be bothered to do it.

Basic knowledge of Sociological research dictates that this survey has high reliability but suffers from low validity. We know the number of people that voted but we don't know why they voted. For all we know, some people made a troll vote because they had the power to do so.

Feb 21, 2018
The survey method was extremely flawed with one vote per generation so naturally the generation with the fewest good designs would dominate. Poor Kanto had to split the vote while Sinnoh and Kalos pretty much just had Lucario and Greninja to vote for. We should really be looking at the rankings per region as the site also lists the top 30 from each generation. If we had just one vote across all generations I think the results would have been very different similar to the past official polls from Pokemon, IGN, Gamefaqs, etc.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Doing mixed gen final results when you had to vote them based on gens is a bit weird lol. Like, I know it's not the case, but let's say gen 3 had 20 Pokémon that were practically tied, while gen 7 had like two clear winners, and the rest got hardly any votes, that splits the vote so much.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This Google survey isn't exactly the best representation of what's considered the most popular Pokemon because there's a bunch of fans who were either unaware of its existence or just couldn't be bothered to do it.

Basic knowledge of Sociological research dictates that this survey has high reliability but suffers from low validity. We know the number of people that voted but we don't know why they voted. For all we know, some people made a troll vote because they had the power to do so.
I mean, none of the Pokemon up there are disliked at large. Chandelure is the one "inanimate object" pokemon people really like, so it makes sense its up there. Plus, it was in Pokken.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thing is, Greninja became the fan-favorite of the Kalos starters the literal second the final designs were revealed. Getting in Smash and then getting a super transformation in the Anime were just the icing on the cake.

I was there when it leaked. Everyone jumped ship from team fennekin and chespin to team frokie when Chesnaught was revealed, lmao.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Happy Greninja won! It's my second favorite Pokémon of all time and I knew my favorite (Ampharos) wouldn't place

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

With everyone voting multiple times its really not that big of a sample size if the 2nd place is 100,000 votes. Lucario has been popular since forever though, to where they're playable in both Smash and Pokken.

Also get fucked Pikachu, Chandelure is more popular lmao. Goes To show that just because youre a mascot doesnt make you the favorite

Kind of weird to get heated over a small and meaningless survey.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With everyone voting multiple times its really not that big of a sample size if the 2nd place is 100,000 votes. Lucario has been popular since forever though, to where they're playable in both Smash and Pokken.

Kind of weird to get heated over a small and meaningless survey.
Im not lol? i talk like that normally lol

Sputnik Sweetheart

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 31, 2017
Flareon the only eon that didn't make it? =(. I still love you Flareon.
Glad Snom got some appreciation here.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'll take Sceptile being in the top 30 and number 4 of the hoenn pokemon thank you very much, even beat out the other hoenn starters

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so proud of Snom. It got that firm 30 placement. Also...

f0LGGwP.jpg

The people have spoken!

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the turnout for this poll was pretty low considering that people were allowed to vote every day. I personally only did the first day, so I'm not one to talk lol.

Gen 1 makes up a tiny fraction of the Top 30 and the winner got cut from the latest games

Perfection
Gen 1 actually tied with gen 3 for most Pokemon in the top 30

Gen 1: 5
Gen 2: 3
Gen 3: 5
Gen 4: 3
Gen 5: 3
Gen 6: 3
Gen 7: 4
Gen 8: 4

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the turnout for this poll was pretty low considering that people were allowed to vote every day. I personally only did the first day, so I'm not one to talk lol.

That and only being able to vote for your absolute favourite rather than like top3 skews the results massively. Like for all we know something from much farther down the list could be top5 if "2nd favourite" was worth anything. Its a poll dictated by people voting for the same thing multiple times. Its one of the weirdest polling systems ive seen in a while.

No Pokemon is "getting stomped" because its such a janky method and small sample size. Kind of surprised Pichu was so far down for Johto, but again this doesn't take into account if it were everyone's 2nd or 3rd favourite.

Last edited:

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal

Gen 1 actually tied with gen 3 for most Pokemon in the top 30

Gen 1: 5
Gen 2: 3
Gen 3: 5
Gen 4: 3
Gen 5: 3
Gen 6: 3
Gen 7: 4
Gen 8: 4

That's really nicely distributed. I'd say the outlier is Gen 5, the largest one, with only 3 Pokémon.