• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Just announced, figured it's worth its own thread
7nWjXrB.png

Sell through of 18.2 million too.

To compare, Sword & Shield did 16 million in this timeframe

Here's my chart of sales data for Pokémon
5rLnwWN.png

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
It's totally going to be gunning for first place by the middle of this year huh? Crazy

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
This is FUCKING CRAZY. I went into swsh assuming it was impossible for a pokemon game to break 20 mil again and since then it's been nothing but broken record after broken record. RB better look out when that DLC comes. What crazy times.

Also talent won, best pokemon game in a decade, etc, etc

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
G'damn, honestly deserved, they're very fun games. Despite the glaring technical issues. Still working my way through the game. There's supposedly an update/patch coming at the end of this month too

ADM975

Feb 22, 2018
Apart from the performance issues, these are my favourite Pokemon games in a long time. I had such a blast playing these so happy to see they have done amazingly

g.a.u

Oct 31, 2017
best game in the series but only standing at the 4th
smh
should have been more

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
absolutely insane

also fairly insane, i believe mario kart wen up another 5 or so million i think from the last earnings report. most of the other games didn't seem to have budged much i don't think (maybe smash?)

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Despite the flaws and clear lack of polish, I enjoyed it.

Deserves those sales a hell of a lot more than Sword and Shield did at least.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
A couple years ago some people said that sales would suffer because the games would be full price console titles compared to the cheaper handheld software prices.

lol

mrgoomba

Dec 10, 2017
Now they can use the money to fix the bugs and performance so I would gladly buy it to add 1 to the numbers

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
JFC, DLC could feasibly push this to gen 1 territory. Wasn't that long ago that I thought passing Gen 2 was impossible, and now it's happening twice in a row.

Also wild how Let's Go, Arceus, and BD/SP are all going to settle around the ~16m mark that was the mainline standard sales from Gen 3-7 (still crazy how rigidly that number held for 5 straight generations too).

15 million is basically the hard floor for any GameFreak Pokémon RPG. Now if only production values would match that, lol.

What a shame for such a lackluster and broken game.
Broken? Yeah. Lackluster? Nah. It's definitely a high point for the franchise outside of the presentation.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Those numbers are crazy. I loved Scarlet, despite the obvious issues the game had.

DLC when

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
A couple years ago some people said that sales would suffer because the games would be full price console titles compared to the cheaper handheld software prices.

lol

Crazy to think about. Just how much more they are making now with full price console titles selling this much.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Can they afford a patch now
Patch is coming at end of the month :)
Yeah word of mouth on Scarlet/Violet has been great. This isn't a surprise.
Yep. Most people outside of hardcore gaming spheres barely notice or just shrug off the technical issues. It's definitely something that us hardcore communities hyperfixate on that the wider audience doesn't really care about.

General word of mouth and enjoyment of SV has been high

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If the sellthrough is 18, then shouldnt the 20 be noted as shipped

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Say what you will, the Pokemon brand is as strong as ever. I can't say these sales are well deserved based on my own experience with Violet, but I'm glad people are loving these games.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
wtf, that seems insanely high even for pokemon. It might be on track to outsell SwSh?

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Great stuff. Technical issues aside this was a big stride forward for the series. Looking forward to buying once they drop another patch or two, want the experience to be as smooth as possible

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
there's no doubt things such as "performace" and "graphics" are meaningless for pokemon games.

in a way that's always been the case. just look at RBY. ugly as hell and still the best selling gen.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I passed on it because of the technical issues. Is it in a playable state now?
It always has been. A lot of the stuff that went around was embellished or manipulated. Most of the glitches like eyes popping out, trainers suddenly growing...yeah that very rarely happened. People manipulated it for socials once they found out how to manipulate it. I have like 500 hours logged in them and have not experienced anything like that. I accidentally fell through a wall once due to a problem in a small tunnel where I was pushed into subsequent wild encounters so kept getting pushed back, and the game crashed on me twice. Other than that, no unplayable issues.

It still has frame issues and dithering issues, and the box system is slow as hell.

There's a big patch due at the end of the month that is said to fix various things, but we don't know what yet

Last edited:

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
It always has been. A lot of the stuff that went around was embellished or manipulated. Most of the glitches like eyes popping out, trainers suddenly growing...yeah that very rarely happened. People manipulated it for socials once they found out how to manipulate it.

It still has frame issues and dithering issues, and the box system is slow as hell.

There's a big patch due at the end of the month that is said to fix various things, but we don't know what yet

Cool, I'll check out the patch when it drops. More concerned about general performance than glitches and stuff.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Absolutely deserved.
I really hope it sells more than SwSh (trash) in the end, it's one of the best generations.

Rixam

Jan 2, 2023
Cool, I'll check out the patch when it drops. More concerned about general performance than glitches and stuff.
I would say that personally the game gives me headaches with the low frame rate people/Pokémon in the distance, so I can't play it till after the patch. I'm not sure if others have that issue but I thought it's worth mentioning