• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Pokemon Switch Come Out This Year?

• Yes

Votes: 554 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 181 17.0%
  • Lol

Votes: 332 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
If this game turns out to be a disappointment or worse, do we expect Nintendo to have a different studio do the next Switch Pokemon games?

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Reusing the SM engine was always on the cards, unless they're using a third party engine, there isnt enough time to rebuild an engine again (they did for SM). It's a matter of how far they can push this engine and what features it has

That's true, I guess my biggest concern are the environments and how open they are.

I also hope that the engine looks fine in HD.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's part of the "problem". Considering the hardware and what they've been able to do with it, Pokemon Sun and Moon would have been pretty amazing Gamecube Games (ignoring the scope of the maps being a bit lacking maybe?). The problem is that it gets compared to it's contemporaries of the current year that are pushing other boundaries. Sure, if you ask what other franchise is a competitive JRPG with hundreds of monsters to raise and online gameplay, people will twiddle their thumbs and whistle innocently. If ask about story, graphics, world design, and overall presentation, people are eager to list out all the games they feel make Pokemon seem dated in comparison. That's no fault of Game Freak really, it's just that by virtue of being handheld bound some parts of what they're trying to accomplish are going to behind.
Sure, in which case the first Pokémon game made for the Switch should be comparable to other jrpgs released on similar hardware. So at worst, we should be expecting something similar to jrpgs released on the 360/PS3. But really, our expectations should be jrpgs released on the Switch. So Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

I think we all know what's coming. Sun and Moon level presentation at 1080p released for $60. That is, to me, unacceptable. And I hope reviewers point it out if that's how the game releases. They say they took Sun and Moon into the direction they did because they want to focus more heavily on storytelling. And they want to continue to push that area of the games. Well, that's fine, but then fully voiced cutscenes are the base expectations for a $60 game released on the Switch. But I'm not expecting much...

Going off of what the game is probably turning out to be, I just want it to be a diamond/pearl remake. Massive changes in presentation are only done with new generations. So I hope they take more time with the next jump (and hopefully this isn't it).

Last edited:

deussupreme

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people worried about this being rushed? Does anyone know when development actually started? As far as we know, this game could have been quietly in development for years.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Development would have probably started well before Sun and Moon were released.
I want to say the first entry of each new Gen begins preproduction after the first entry of the previous Gen is finished. As an example, Masuda said Black and White began development once Diamond and Pearl were finished. Going by the lead staff members on each project, I'm pretty sure X and Y began development once Black and White were finished, and Sun and Moon began development once X and Y were finished.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind they never re-used engines even for generations on the same hardware, so I really doubt they're gonna use SM's engine again for the Switch. Especially since it's a big leap forward, too.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
If this game turns out to be a disappointment or worse, do we expect Nintendo to have a different studio do the next Switch Pokemon games?
lmao, Nintendo doesn't even have the power to do that.
I want to say the first entry of each new Gen begins preproduction after the first entry of the previous Gen is finished. As an example, Masuda said Black and White began development once Diamond and Pearl were finished. I'm pretty sure X and Y began development once Black and White were finished, and Sun and Moon began development once X and Y were finished.
And this would probably be a different case.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon isn't exactly the toughest game to throw together in 2-3 years. We are on track for 2018, 20 million switch sales can't be accomplished without pokemon in one year.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
A: It's not up to Nintendo, or at least not 'just' Nintendo.

B: It's unlikely to be a disappointment, based on none of the mainline Pokemon games ever being anything less than a good game. (Arguable in retrospect, but not at the time of release.)

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, it feels like we would have heard something by now because Pokemon Company these days have been doing year long advertisement campaigns and reveals leading up to the release of their games.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
And this would probably be a different case.
Ohmori is likely directing Gen VIII since Masuda doesn't seem to be directing mainline entries anymore. Since Ohmori was focused on directing Sun and Moon until the end of 2016, I'm not sure if Gen VIII could have been far in production before Sun and Moon were completed. Granted we don't know if Ohmori was assigned to direct Sun and Moon after work on Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire finished or if he was directing both simultaneously for a year or so.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind they never re-used engines even for generations on the same hardware, so I really doubt they're gonna use SM's engine again for the Switch. Especially since it's a big leap forward, too.

Wait really? I could've sworn gens 3-5 were all on the same engine. I assumed gens 6 and 7 were the same too.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
That saving Pokémon for an e3 timeframe announcement wouldn't be far fetched in comparison to Zelda and Mario being announced before that time period
GameFreak reveals new Pokémon in drip feed via CoroCoro. That's how their hype cycle works. There is no chance that they are revealing their game less than half a year from release.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
We know next to nothing about these games and you all saying it's going to be a disappointment. Since, Nintendo is eager for a 2018 release they probably lend a hand or two to aid GameFreak.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
The Pokemon models was always a terrible argument. As if level design didn't take more time to make than the Pokemon themselves

I assume level design takes near the most resources for any sprawling JRPG.

At the same time I think Pokemon's ratio of cost for creating monsters is relatively higher than any other jrpg. None other have 700+ monsters with that many unique animations that I can think of.

resonance

Oct 28, 2017
Pokemon early December
Smash 4 Deluxe September/October (I'm hoping for 5, but it's becoming more and more likely Nintendo wants it out in time to sell paid online)

Yeah, that can move 20 million units.

Status
Not open for further replies.