• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Pokemon Switch Come Out This Year?

• Yes

Votes: 554 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 181 17.0%
  • Lol

Votes: 332 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
GSC are the easiest games in the series. If they came out today people would riot.
hqdefault.jpg

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
What's everyone's single most desired new (or returning) feature in the new game?

I'm hoping the Pokewalker makes a return in the form of a smartphone app. Even better, I'd love if it had increased functionality and you could trade or even battle with your uploaded team locally against another app user (although I have no idea if that's technically possible with smartphones like it is on DS/3DS/Switch).

What's yours?

2 regions (one new and one old) and 16 Gyms.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
2 regions (one new and one old) and 16 Gyms.

If they do that again, I hope they take the opportunity to make the bonus region a lot more open and challenging than the base region.

I love when games approach difficulty that way. Make the base game relatively easy so everyone can see the credits, and then make the post-game more challenging since everyone who keeps playing at that point is likely an enthusiast, while people who aren't interested can skip it satisfied that they saw the whole main campaign.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
They also give you a exchange for a machop with low kick in that same city guys, as well as the major difficulty is not having a fighting type that is super effective, so heracross is also a valid solution.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
just grab a female heracross from a three -> problem solved.
They also give you a exchange for a machop with low kick in that same city guys, as well as the major difficulty is not having a fighting type that is super effective, so heracross is also a valid solution.

The fact that you need to engage with the type-system and plan out your team ahead of time is what makes it the perfect type of obstacle for the franchise. It's a roadblock where the solution isn't grinding or story-related but coming up with a clever strategy to beat it

The later games seem to have replaced all difficulty roadblocks with story ones, so your solution to any problem is rarely using your brain and knowledge of the systems, it's finding the right NPC to start the next insipid cutscene.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you need to engage with the type-system and plan out your team ahead of time is what makes it the perfect type of obstacle for the franchise. It's a roadblock where the solution isn't grinding or story-related but coming up with a clever strategy to beat it

The later games seem to have replaced all difficulty roadblocks with story ones, so your solution to any problem is rarely using your brain and knowledge of the systems, it's finding the right NPC to start the next insipid cutscene.
no? If you do not apply the type system you can easily get roadblocked in a gym in gen 5 and 7. Gen 5 takes an easy way out of it by giving you a very effective pokemon for the gym in the optative area next to each gym (for instance, the first gym would be much harder if they hadnt given you the monkey of the opposite element before hand as otherwise you would get wrecked and that actually repeats itself all over the game) while in sun/moon the totem encounters being 2v1 with set up of crazy moves will wreck you unless you plan ahead (and sometimes exploit Z-moves). XY was bad because Exp all when the experience is not controlled as in the previous and latter gens make it really easy to become op, as well as having a really nice amount of pokemon types in the start that make it easy to make an ideal team and just run with it.
You only think it is way easier because type coverage has improved dramatically compared to the first gens and much more information is displayed to the player in the fighting part (even more in sun moon where they just straight up show you what moves are effective or not if you had already meet that pokemon) so you are more likely to make good predictions.
Also you can easily grind out Miltank. I did it when i was a child and I only used Quilava. The real issue I had was with gim 8s Kingdra. The lack of dragon types before that fight was pretty stupid, fuck that.
Edit: It is also important to notice that tms becoming infinite uses actually improves the coverage of all pokemon as you are no longer afraid of those really nice powerful moves being wasted in a pokemon you might change later on.

Last edited:

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
no? If you do not apply the type system you can easily get roadblocked in a gym in gen 5 and 7. Gen 5 takes an easy way out of it by giving you a very effective pokemon for the gym in the optative area next to each gym (for instance, the first gym would be much harder if they hadnt given you the monkey of the opposite element before hand as otherwise you would get wrecked and that actually repeats itself all over the game) while in sun/moon the totem encounters being 2v
You only think it is way easier because type coverage has improved dramatically compared to the first gens and much more information is displayed to the player in the fighting part (even more in sun moon where they just straight up show you what moves are effective or not if you had already meet that pokemon)

My bad, I was mostly talking about gen 6 and what I've heard from gen 7. I think gen 5 is quite well balanced. Gen 6 on the other hand was so braindead easy and boring I dropped and haven't gone back to the series yet after feeling so burned by it.

I probably shouldn't have made generalizations including gen 7 in that comment and specified I meant XY specifically, but I'd heard it's about as easy from people talking about it so I assumed the trend continued for all the 3DS games. It's good to hear if I'm wrong though, hopefully gen 8 will continue to be more interesting in that regard.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Shameless plug for this thing I made that lets you find out which trees you should headbutt: http://37.97.147.73/Headbutt Grid.htm

I never thanked you for this because I was a lurker in the previous forum, but this was super useful during my playthrough of Pokémon Silver on my 3DS last year. It turns out Heracross could spawn in just one single tree that I would have NEVER of using Headbutt on.

Thank you very much, young sir.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017

That isn't true at all, I've seen kids who were roadblocked on the second gym in XY because the boss is a Rock/Dragon and they had no idea how to deal with that

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It's not no reason, they did that intentionally in order to more closely mimic the official art style
Sometimes they just used pale colors who aren't those of the official art though. Example:

103-a.png
103-a.png

This needs to be fixed, and some Pokémon should just receive better colors if the old art is too pale, like for example Voltorb who looks pink instead of red:
100.png

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes they just used pale colors who aren't those of the official art though. Example:

103-a.png
103-a.png

This needs to be fixed, and some Pokémon should just receive better colors if the old art is too pale, like for example Voltorb who looks pink instead of red:
100.png
Yeah, more color wouldn't hurt these models.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Yeah, I love the official art's colours and I'm glad they've been going for that look over the anime's (which I find to be garish), but some pokemon look way off.

Another example is Alolan Dugtrio, which is supposed to look way more saturated than his kanto counterpart going by the artwork. The in-game model doesn't reflect this in the slightest.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
From the Ubi employee that teased Labo :

In the thread he said that the announcement won't be today or tomorrow but soon. He is going to tease it when it'll be close enough.

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking at old leaks at Bulbagarden forums (https://forums.bulbagarden.net/index.php?threads/generation-8-rumours-fakes-leaks.241013) and given what is currently being hinted at (Kanto revisit at the very least) I want to emphasize this UNCONFIRMED YouTube Leak (December 2017). Mainly because it specifies the game involves Kanto, pokémon appear in the overworld, and that there will be new pokémon but they will either be evolutions or pre-evolutions of older pokémon, thus making it difficult to assert whether this is a gen 7 or gen 8 game.

The YouTube Leak (December 2017) specifies:
  • The game will be called Pokémon Indigo and will take place in a reimagined Kanto
  • There will be 96 new Pokémon and 48 new regional variants, The starters however, remain the same (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle), and some old legendary Pokémon appear (Birds, Beasts, Mew Duo, Jirachi, Deoxys, Ho-oh/Lugia, and Celebi)
  • Regarding the legendary Pokémon, all of them will be connected to Mew and the player will visit ruins of the ancient Culture that worshipped Mew
  • Voice acting will be featured but it will be gibberish, the Pokémon however will now say their own names like in the anime
  • The battles are now much faster
  • The game is not open world, but the world will be much bigger and offers more exploration, also the Pokémon models will be the same but the textures will be better and the visuals of the game will be brighter and more stylized
  • Set in the region of "Indigo" which includes Kanto, Johto, the Sevii Islands and some never before seen areas including a frozen tundra in west Johto. It is "assumed" that all generations will be referenced in some way. Regarding level cap, your Pokémon will be in the 40s by the end of Kanto, 50s after the Islands, and 70/80s by the end of Johto
  • Story wise its a combination of the original games, anime, and manga, however things will be different to make things more original
  • Natures now change on their own randomly, but can be influenced by interactions and items
  • Seasons, Day/Night, and over world Weather will return
  • The league is now a tournament featuring random trainers. There are 4 rounds and if you win, you will then face the E4 and Champion.
  • Mega Evolution doesn't return, neither does the PWT, HMs, or Pokeride
  • There is a new evolution mechanic that involves Joycons
  • Trainer customization returns
  • There will be in game events on certain holidays
  • The Hoenn starters are obtained in the wild and the Alolan starters can be "chosen "in the Sevii Islands
  • Plenty of Puzzles and Dungeons
  • Unknown will be treated more like a legendary
  • There are ways to quickly level up Pokémon
  • Human/Pokémon interactions are amplified, they are now treated as virtual pets you can pet, feed, play with, educate, discipline, and trai
  • Pokémon can be transferred from the 3Ds
  • Dunsparce and Unown don't get evolutions, and Tropius is in the regional dex
  • Random encounters are removed, instead Pokémon appear in the over world
  • There will be new mechanics improvements that will make Pokémon good
  • You can catch a special Pikachu early game
  • New evos and prevos for existing Pokémon
  • Difficulty mode (Beginner, Normal, Expert, Master) and an unlockable Nuzlocke mode
  • Mew gains a new form called "Voodoo Mew"
Fuck you. Now I want this.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, things just got interesting! Pokemon is just about the only game that I might want more than Spider-Man PS4.

Oct 27, 2017
How did they know about labo?
It's not unusual that something like LABO would be told to various 3rd party partners, even if it was only to gauge interest in making it available to them (much like how Amiibo were initial just open to Nintendo properties). But divulging information on a specific title, outside of maybe it's release date window? That seems more unusual

Oct 26, 2017
Well the colors are pretty exclusive to the 3DS Mainline Games. Pokedex 3D on 3DS had more saturated colors. Every other spinoff has "improved" colors compared to the 3ds mainline games.

In that case, I'm clearly wrong, wow wtf Game Freak. Doesn't really make sense to use washed out colours when sprites back then were so vibrant.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
hmmmmm so the leak posted on bulbagarden discussed earlier predates the image leak showing no more wild encounters and Kanto region (same as Youtube leak)

all other semi-credible hints have been Gen 1 related like the one above

Is it time to believe?

Status
Not open for further replies.