• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Pokemon Switch Come Out This Year?

• Yes

Votes: 554 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 181 17.0%
  • Lol

Votes: 332 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
All Pokemon Switch discussion/speculation/madness remains here.

It's been hinted from reliable sources that Pokemon Switch news is coming soon:

PhantomLord, a Ubisoft employee and Nintendo insider:

Resetera moderator NateDrake also seems to be sure of an impending Pokemon announcement:

Also, Nintendo has their big investor's conference in the next few days, so keep this in mind as well.
https://www.resetera.com/posts/6998472

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
That would be great.

Lazrgatr

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I'd get hyped but pokemon SM was a letdown for me.

For all we know the game will be DP 2.0 and suffer from horrible slowdowns due to gamefreak's technical incompetence.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
almost like it'll be out in november and the big switch game for the holidays

shocking

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Either they are dead set on getting this out 2018 or they are locking in the script?

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Dang, maybe it really is coming in 2018.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Getting a new Pokemon so early makes me skeptical that GF would do anything disruptive for their first title on Switch. Seems like more of the same.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I mean I wouldn't doubt it, they said 2018 or later.
I'd get hyped but pokemon SM was a letdown for me.

For all we know the game will be DP 2.0 and suffer from horrible slowdowns due to gamefreak's technical incompetence.
You mean suffer from horrible slowdown due to the 3DS's terrible specs??? 3DS Pokemon games run like shit because they are pushing models with very high poly counts. Nothing Gamefreak can do about that.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, 2018 seems like a lock now. I really wanna see Gamefreak's first foray into AAA console development.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
This isn't unrealistic, but the tight turnaround from Sun/Moon & Ultra S/M makes me think this will be a smaller progression from those games than I would have liked for the first Switch entry.

Still means a good/great game is coming our way sooner rather than later, though, so I'm not going to look a gift-horse in the mouth.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
If they actually get a real Pokemon game out on Switch this year that would be crazy, that 20 mil may end up being a conservative goal and yes I know that sounds crazy but its god damn Pokemon the sky is the limits if they make a game on the quality of Zelda and Mario with that IP.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda wish they would have taken more time. I feel were just getting a higher resolution typical Pokemon game, not the console game we've always wanted.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't unrealistic, but the tight turnaround from Sun/Moon & Ultra S/M makes me think this will be a smaller progression from those games than I would have liked for the first Switch entry.

Still means a good/great game is coming our way sooner rather than later, though, so I'm not going to look a gift-horse in the mouth.
Yup, don't expect a huge overhaul.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Okay I'm pretty surprised by this. They're about to work in localization already??? Is production that far ahead?

Or it could be D/P remakes for Switch. As a peace offering for extended time while they continue to work on the next mainland game.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
So that would mean like December/January 2019? But yeah, don't expect this gen to be revolutionary tech wise, they'll probably use the same engine as the 3DS game but in HD

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
They really are rushing this out for the holidays :/. Oh well, maybe Gen 9 will innovate and take full advantage of the Switch, lol.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda wish they would have taken more time. I feel were just getting a higher resolution typical Pokemon game, not the console game we've always wanted.
To me Pokémon games have always been on par with many home console games (from hardware with similar capabilities) in terms of scope and content. Sun and Moon would not feel out of place as GameCube games.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God I hope they're not rushing this game to market. Polish that crap and make sure it's not a disappointment for the first ever mainline console Pokemon game and first ever HD Pokemon

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Release it in November with massive Switch restocks to get ready for the Black Friday/Christmas shopping, and that 20M becomes realistic.

Even if it is a small step compared to the huge overhaul people expect, it's Pokemon on the Switch and people will eat it up.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

Eh, we don't know how long it's been in development. I wouldn't be surprised if it started development 2-3 years ago.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
This might be a stupid question, but why would it be a minimum 6 month contract potentially starting in June if we presume the game is scheduled for release 5 months later in November?

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
either this game was in development for a lot longer than anyone thought or it will be a super minimal upgrade over the previous gen (basically, SM in HD as far as graphics go) or they're introducing only 50-60 new Pokemon this time, seeing how the last 2 gens introduced around 70 each. seems the time of 100+ new monsters per gen is truly done.

or Retro was the one making it along Gamefreak all along.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Never doubted a 2018 release, this just pretty much confirms it.

Aboard the hype train.

The real Question is when is the announcement coming.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
If this is a new gen, I expect a March teaser reveal (just names, logos, starters and legendaries) and updates every subsequent month.

If this is a remake, I expect a July/August full reveal with November release. Remakes don't need monthly updates.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
either this game was in development for a lot longer than anyone thought or it will be a super minimal upgrade over the previous gen (basically, SM in HD as far as graphics go)

or they're introducing only 50-60 new Pokemon this time. seeing how the last 2 gens introduced around 70, seems the time of 100+ new monsters per gen is truly done.
Which would be a damn shame. Still adore Gen 5 for introducing 150 of the fuckers. I feel if the first HD Pokemon is an iterative one they should go all out with the Pokemon and gives us a new 150. Make it special.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wonder if they'll do voice acting for this game. at this fidelity, and with as many close ups, it's gonna have the same issue Zelda had and Dragon Quest 11 also have

also, leaks when?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm guessing this isn't going to be much more ambitious than the 3DS games, it'll probably just going to have the graphics turned up a bit, and higher resolution obv.

A bit of a missed opportunity, I'd love to see Pokémon get a bold reinvention, much like Zelda and Mario got, but I'm sure it'll do well even if it's just a small step up from previous games.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
To me Pokémon games have always been on par with many home console games (from hardware with similar capabilities) in terms of scope and content. Sun and Moon would not feel out of place as GameCube games.

Being on par with a 17 year old console doesn't excite me. I want skyrim-ish world level/scope with pokemon basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.