• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CrimsonDawn

May 29, 2018
Did you really? It's just so hard for me to believe, I've been playing since Pokémon Blue, I played every single game except Let's Go, and Ultra Sun was the hardest game of the series hands down, to the point I didn't just have trouble with every totem battle but also with freaking normal trainers with a few Pokémon in their teams. That game made me get angry at how many times I kept losing battles.
Comparatively I find gen 1 and gen 2 to be the absolute easiest games in the series with only gen 6 being the exception.
I also found Ultra Sun surprisingly difficult. I struggled with almost all Totem battles and various other encounters here and there. It was a nice way of forcing the player to use strategy (like in the Ultra Necrozma fight) instead of just spamming the strongest moves.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
1) Overworld Pokemon have no AI which ends up taking away from the immersion
2) It's not random, it's still percentage based, if you want a rare Pokemon, you're still going to be waiting.
3) It totally upends nuzlockes
4) It takes away the surprise of a new encounter from those who want them in.
5) Tall grass becomes meaningless because they're still safe if they can avoid spawns there. Inversely, they're not even safe on roads if they can't.

The best choice here would be to make it toggleable, but that's a lot of work to make a feature that a decent number of people would turn off.

That's the dream haha. It's really weird they don't at least try it since it was included (as a post-game thing, admittedly) in B2W2.
Pokémon in the overworld could be just as much of a surprise as random encounters if they were programmed well with AI and intractable in world/hiding in tall grass, etc. Sure, I wouldn't trust Gamefreak to do this and instead they'd just reuse let's go's way of handling it, but... I do think it's the future and it's what a lot of people want. Just a matter of when.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Both Pokemon games with walking Pokemon featured them from the first footage. They ain't coming back unless this was done just for the trailer.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
Might have been posted already, but we've probably seen Grookey's final form before:

139021_1.jpg
Grookey not having a form that's a reference to Ringo Starr is going to be a missed opportunity.

Ringorilla.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the starters. They seem too derivative and samey. I guess it's hard ro come up with something interesring after 20+ years.

CrimsonDawn

May 29, 2018
Do we know everything about the game already since people seem to know everything from the battle system to the tiniest grass details?

I've only seen the first trailer. I want that level of certainty too.
Kinda surprised to see how many people are already jumping to conclusions. The trailer was made to show off the region and starters so like you said I'm not sure why some people are assuming gameplay is just the same old thing. They specifically said they're challenging themselves to try new things with this game.

Oct 27, 2017
Both Pokemon games with walking Pokemon featured them from the first footage. They ain't coming back unless this was done just for the trailer.
So? XY didn't feature changing your appearance/clothes OR Mega evolutions in its first appearance. In fact this trailer, like the XY one, seemed primarily just to show the graphics and region, not to show features.

They literally removed all but 2 NPCs, and one of them we only saw in battle!

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
Did you really? It's just so hard for me to believe, I've been playing since Pokémon Blue, I played every single game except Let's Go, and Ultra Sun was the hardest game of the series hands down, to the point I didn't just have trouble with every totem battle but also with freaking normal trainers with a few Pokémon in their teams. That game made me get angry at how many times I kept losing battles.
Comparatively I find gen 1 and gen 2 to be the absolute easiest games in the series with only gen 6 being the exception.
I don't even remember ever changing my first Pokémon. I'm probably exaggerating a bit and obviously use super effective moves whenever possible but for the most part it all felt very automated to me.
If I had to guess I probably am over levelled since I always kill whatever Pokémon is randomly generated when the screen flashes because I really hate the screen flashing loading into a battle so I might as well get something out of it. I also don't care about catching a lot of Pokémon either so I usually just destroy them

CrimsonDawn

May 29, 2018
Not a fan of the starters. They seem too derivative and samey. I guess it's hard ro come up with something interesring after 20+ years.
I don't know, I think it's one of the strongest starter trios we've gotten. For the first time I love all 3 of them to the point I can't choose one. Also GF has created some far more interesting Pokémon than what was in gen 1 and gen 2 over the years so I'm excited to see what comes next.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
So? XY didn't feature changing your appearance/clothes OR Mega evolutions in its first appearance. In fact this trailer, like the XY one, seemed primarily just to show the graphics and region, not to show features.

They literally removed all but 2 NPCs, and one of them we only saw in battle!
That's what I meant, it could be not showing them off here or it could be because they aren't in, we don't really now. No point in wondering until a proper rerelease news cycle starts, as that is when they will start showing off a more populated world and features.

Oct 25, 2017
One thing i'll defend gamefreak in is the criticisms they got pre switch era. What exactly in their handheld games is lacking? All of them seem decently ambitious to me. Graphically anyways
BW and SuMo were the only games in the series (other than RGB ofc) that graphically did more than just slightly iterate graphically. GS was just a color RGB, with RS being color-er, DP was RS with slightly more 3D, and XY just brought the BW design to full 3D. BW actually added 3D level design into Pokémon and SuMo finally removed the grid system.

Coincidentally (or not), thosewere both the second gens on their respective platforms. Gives me hope that gen 9 will actually look like a modern console game.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even remember ever changing my first Pokémon. I'm probably exaggerating a bit and obviously use super effective moves whenever possible but for the most part it all felt very automated to me.
If I had to guess I probably am over levelled since I always kill whatever Pokémon is randomly generated when the screen flashes because I really hate the screen flashing loading into a battle so I might as well get something out of it. I also don't care about catching a lot of Pokémon either so I usually just destroy them
Well yeah, that would explain it. I don't usually fight every random encounter so I never get overlevelled. Ultra Necrozma was untouchable for me because none of my Pokémon could outspeed it nor survive a single hit at their level

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
1) Overworld Pokemon have no AI which ends up taking away from the immersion
2) It's not random, it's still percentage based, if you want a rare Pokemon, you're still going to be waiting.
3) It totally upends nuzlockes
4) It takes away the surprise of a new encounter from those who want them in.
5) Tall grass becomes meaningless because they're still safe if they can avoid spawns there. Inversely, they're not even safe on roads if they can't.

The best choice here would be to make it toggleable, but that's a lot of work to make a feature that a decent number of people would turn off.
Spot on. Some people don't understand how overworld Pokemon spoil the experience for lots of players. I would be okay with it as long as it was optional (too much work as pointed out) or there were some massive overhaul on the game formula.

Since they won't provide us difficulty options, at least random encounters still make nuzlocking feasible. This is what makes the game interesting to me and many others after the first playthrough.

Oct 26, 2017
And difficulty in Pokemon is obviously all down to team composition

It never gets old when people keep saying this, knowing that it's wrong. Player set-up is only ONE element, but that's completely random as you have no idea what the player will use. Especially with such a large and expansive dex at your fingertips. It does not determine the difficulty at all and doesn't change the base design of the game. This is like saying choice of weapons in Zelda determines how easy or difficult a game is, when in reality, boss patterns, movement, damage output may still be difficult even with the weapon choice in mind. Or more closely, it's like people who say turning off the Exp Share or using Set mode makes the game harder. They don't because they don't take into account that the AI is still shambolic even with Exp Share off/Set Mode on.

Keep in mind that Game Freak has a bad habit of gimping their AI for no reason. XY has their gym leaders use a small number of Pokemon + choice of Pokemon (gym leaders in previous games has used quite powerful Pokemon) + 3 moves up until Gym 7 (and even then, Wulfuric has one Pokemon that uses only 3 moves).

TLDR; People need to stop acting like limiting yourself is what determines the difficulty of a Pokemon game. It comes down to the base design of the game, as well as, how the gym leaders are designed.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
That sounds plausible. They're going to play into the whole stadium thing, without a doubt, both as a venue for sports and for music/entertainment. Hell, the starters themselves look like they're playing into that - Grookey representing music and Scorbunny sports.

Hoping they go one further and include some kind of team-based mechanic. Have them replace gyms/leaders.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Difficulty isn't that much of a problem as long as you have good post-game. I basically steamrolled Crystal when I was a kid basically only spamming A with a Beedrill and a Typhlosion sometimes and the rest of the team barely being any useful. The campaigns did get easier in aspects over time, but they were never hard at all.

Just have a good Frontier/World Tournament/etc and done. Good SP content with actual challenges.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest. If I could only get either following Pokémon or a controllable camera, I'd choose following Pokémon lol

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
It never gets old when people keep saying this, knowing that it's wrong. Player set-up is only ONE element, but that's completely random as you have no idea what the player will use. Especially with such a large and expansive dex at your fingertips. It does not determine the difficulty at all and doesn't change the base design of the game. This is like saying choice of weapons in Zelda determines how easy or difficult a game is, when in reality, boss patterns, movement, damage output may still be difficult even with the weapon choice in mind. Or more closely, it's like people who say turning off the Exp Share or using Set mode makes the game harder. They don't because they don't take into account that the AI is still shambolic even with Exp Share off/Set Mode on.

Keep in mind that Game Freak has a bad habit of gimping their AI for no reason. XY has their gym leaders use a small number of Pokemon + choice of Pokemon (gym leaders in previous games has used quite powerful Pokemon) + 3 moves up until Gym 7 (and even then, Wulfuric has one Pokemon that uses only 3 moves).

TLDR; People need to stop acting like limiting yourself is what determines the difficulty of a Pokemon game. It comes down to the base design of the game, as well as, how the gym leaders are designed.

Dude, if my team is all grass Pokemon I'm obviously going to find the fire boss fight harder than someone else. That's all I'm saying.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Difficulty isn't that much of a problem as long as you have good post-game. I basically steamrolled Crystal when I was a kid basically only spamming A with a Beedrill and a Typhlosion sometimes and the rest of the team barely being any useful. The campaigns did get easier in aspects over time, but they were never hard at all.

Just have a good Frontier/World Tournament/etc and done. Good SP content with actual challenges.
Yep. Although a challenge mode like B/W 2 wouldn't hurt.

CrimsonDawn

May 29, 2018
Spot on. Some people don't understand how overworld Pokemon spoil the experience for lots of players. I would be okay with it as long as it was optional (too much work as pointed out) or there were some massive overhaul on the game formula.

Since they won't provide us difficulty options, at least random encounters still make nuzlocking feasible. This is what makes the game interesting to me and many others after the first playthrough.
After playing through Black 2 (probably my fave Pokémon game) after Lets Go, I really missed overworld Pokémon. They really brought the world alive.

I understand that the AI wasn't great and many prefer random encounters completely. Others like me definitely prefer overworld encounters. Seeing surprise Pokémon pop up in the overworld is just as exciting as for me as seeing them in a battle sequence.

Ideally, like you've said, there'll be a toggle. They did have walking/running animations for all Pokémon in sun/moon's files so it's not out of the question in that regard. It's just smarter AI that could be difficult to implement. I doubt the option will be there but I'd love it!

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Holy shit, another one!

You guys really aren't trying to read today are you

FIFA does not upgrade the way it should given it's success

Neither does PKMN

really a fairly simple point
I'm sure I understood your point fair and square. But you have nothing to back up such affirmations. If you really believe this then either you haven't really played another pokemon game in years (maybe decades) or you know very little about gaming design.
It's a very poor comparison.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no way in hell Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is easier than Red/Blue

I disagree with you on this one. I think Red/Blue are more difficult than the Ultra's.

I have a artificial way to make the games more difficult for myself on purpose and even with that Alola felt like a breeze compare to a couple of times where I was almost beat in Yellow using the same difficulty curve.

On another note

How could would it be if this iteration of the Pokémon league would have require you to win a tournament before challenging the Elite Four like the anime?

Man, that would be cool. Make the tournament difficult as it should be considering that all the trainers there would have earned 8 gym badges like you the player did.

These games are pretty hype once you take a step back from the negativity and think of the possibilities.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
Dude, if my team is all grass Pokemon I'm obviously going to find the fire boss fight harder than someone else. That's all I'm saying.
That doesn't really reflect anything regarding the difficulty design at all though. If you just hold right and don't jump of course you're going to fall on the lava in a Mario level. There are still hard and easy Mario levels though. How likely is it that someone will have an all grass team? Are there only grass Pokémon available before the fire gym?

the7samurai

Oct 30, 2017
I'll never understand the desire to not want Pokemon on the overworld. It's still a surprise as you still go from not seeing the pokemon to seeing it. I'm playing through Lets Go with my kids and we all get excited when we see something new walking around on the map. I also looooved avoiding 800 Zubats in Mnt Moon. It could and definitely should be done better if it were to come back though. I'm thinking some hide really well, some are more aggressive, some try and flee. You could use different strategies to catch different pokemon. Honestly I'm not complaining a lot about Sword and Shield and will get it but this is a clear no brainer.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with you on this one. I think Red/Blue are more difficult than the Ultra's.

I have a artificial way to make the games more difficult for myself on purpose and even with that Alola felt like a breeze compare to a couple of times where I was almost beat in Yellow using the same difficulty curve.

I dunno, maybe my party wasn't the best but last time I played Red I didn't have any trouble at all, meanwhile Giovanni's Mewtwo at the end of UM steamrolled my party lol

That doesn't really reflect anything regarding the difficulty design at all though. If you just hold right and don't jump of course you're going to fall on the lava in a Mario level. There are still hard and easy Mario levels though. How likely is it that someone will have an all grass team? how likely is it that someone will have an all Gress team? Are there only grass Pokémon available before the fire gym?

I was using a overexaggerated example to say maybe I had too many of the same weaknesses in MY team, but I found the later fights of UM harder than Red. The last Lusamine and Guzma fights, Ultra Necrozma, that one totem that calls in freakin unlimited Scizors and Noivern. Giovanni's Mega Mewtwo. I don't remember anything in Red giving me that much trouble except maybe Lance.

CrimsonDawn

May 29, 2018

On another note

How could would it be if this iteration of the Pokémon league would have require you to win a tournament before challenging the Elite Four like the anime?

Man, that would be cool. Make the tournament difficult as it should be considering that all the trainers there would have earned 8 gym badges like you the player did.

These games are pretty hype once you take a step back from the negativity and think of the possibilities.
Last generation they took out gyms and tried something different. This time it'd be awesome if they reworked the Pokémon League. A tournament against characters you come across throughout the game would be really cool. I also would like for the Elite 4 to be more than glorified gym leaders.

Deleted member 2618

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think overworld Pokemon improved or lessened the games. All it did for me was show how uninspired the route design was in Lets Go. Why did they design it exactly like Yellow when it doesnt matter at all where grass is?

CrimsonDawn

May 29, 2018
I'll never understand the desire to not want Pokemon on the overworld. It's still a surprise as you still go from not seeing the pokemon to seeing it. I'm playing through Lets Go with my kids and we all get excited when we see something new walking around on the map. I also looooved avoiding 800 Zubats in Mnt Moon. It could and definitely should be done better if it were to come back though. I'm thinking some hide really well, some are more aggressive, some try and flee. You could use different strategies to catch different pokemon. Honestly I'm not complaining a lot about Sword and Shield and will get it but this is a clear no brainer.
For the first time I could enjoy exploring caves and water environments without using repels in Let's Go.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is really a pattern since it's just two gens. Gen 1 to Gen 5 doesn't follow this at all.
Serperior - Cute/Beautiful
Samurott - Cool
Emboar - Quirky/Strong

I think it fits in the sense that since gen 5 they try to have three different "types" of Pokémon fitting three different ways people could like their personality archetypes. If you see the SM starters art they focused a lot on personality.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
As someone who enjoys Nuzlocke runs, the overworld system ruined Nuzlockes for me. An option to choose between overworld and random encounters would be nice, but Gamefreak laughs at the notion of options.

Oct 26, 2017

Again, you're at the whims of the AI's ability to take advantage of your team by using the proper moves + having an actually smart moveset to exploit. Also there's nothing stopping your grass team from running Earthquake or other ground type moves to do damage to them. So again, just because you limit yourself, doesn't mean the base game is now harder than if you used a different team.

CrimsonDawn

May 29, 2018
Something is definitely a bit odd about the trailer. I think we all expected to see walking Pokémon. But there aren't any NPCs either. How weird is that?

Maybe they're saving a lot of this stuff.
Besides two specific cases (Munchlax and the the trainer) the trailer seemed oddly sparse. I definitely think there's more they're not showing for some reason.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I'm sure I understood your point fair and square. But you have nothing to back up such affirmations. If you really believe this then either you haven't really played another pokemon game in years (maybe decades) or you know very little about gaming design.
It's a very poor comparison.

lol i have eyes and have played every game in the series

apparently you need to know the intricacies of gaming design to tell when a game has a high budget for production and when it's handled similar to your average annual game. go ahead and explain your point instead of hand waving

Last edited:

the7samurai

Oct 30, 2017
As someone who enjoys Nuzlocke runs, the overworld system ruined Nuzlockes for me. An option to choose between overworld and random encounters would be nice, but Gamefreak laughs at the notion of options.
I don't know anything really about Nuzlocke runs as I'm more of a fairweather Pokemon fan but they sound cool. I'll have to try it out as the games are crazy easy.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Besides two specific cases (Munchlax and the the trainer) the trailer seemed oddly sparse. I definitely think there's more they're not showing for some reason.

Let's Go allowed you to toggle walking Pokémon on and off so maybe they're just off for the purposes of this trailer.

A lot was hidden in this trailer, including the UI, so I think they just disabled all these things. An unusual decision but we'll figure out one way or another.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
A proper challenge mode and post-game are pretty much my only major desires for this game, and it sucks knowing that neither of them are likely to happen at all.

I guess I'll probably have to settle for doing a Nuzlocke in a second playthrough, but at least for these games you'll be able to have a second save file by making a separate Switch profile, which is nice.