• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I don't know anything really about Nuzlocke runs as I'm more of a fairweather Pokemon fan but they sound cool. I'll have to try it out as the games are crazy easy.
Nuzlockes are totally dependent on random encounters. For each route, you can only catch the first Pokemon that you find in the tall grass. The overworld system ruins that since you usually spot multiple Pokemon when you enter a route in Let's Go.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
After playing through Black 2 (probably my fave Pokémon game) after Lets Go, I really missed overworld Pokémon. They really brought the world alive.

I understand that the AI wasn't great and many prefer random encounters completely. Others like me definitely prefer overworld encounters. Seeing surprise Pokémon pop up in the overworld is just as exciting as for me as seeing them in a battle sequence.

Ideally, like you've said, there'll be a toggle. They did have walking/running animations for all Pokémon in sun/moon's files so it's not out of the question in that regard. It's just smarter AI that could be difficult to implement. I doubt the option will be there but I'd love it!
Having the option would really make everyone happy.

I don't think it is a feature they will provide on launch, but they might bring it through DLC. Even a challenge mode is something I could see them introducing via DLC, or some kind of expansion. I wonder if they are going to try some of these uncharted waters for Pokemon on Switch.

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
That sounds plausible. They're going to play into the whole stadium thing, without a doubt, both as a venue for sports and for music/entertainment. Hell, the starters themselves look like they're playing into that - Grookey representing music and Scorbunny sports.

Hoping they go one further and include some kind of team-based mechanic. Have them replace gyms/leaders.

Definitely I agree they will play into it. With gym battles seeming to be on the big stage now makes me think the crowd cheering will be raising your attack or defense or even lowring it depending on how you or the trainer you going up against battle which plays into the names sword and shield plus the cheers in trailer happens way too much.

Side Note: I can see Grookey representing music but also a baseball player banging the stick against the rock reminds me of baseball players at the home plate for some reason and Grookey sounding like Green Rookie to me.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Serperior - Cute/Beautiful
Samurott - Cool
Emboar - Quirky/Strong

I think it fits in the sense that since gen 5 they try to have three different "types" of Pokémon fitting three different ways people could like their personality archetypes. If you see the SM starters art they focused a lot on personality.
I think snakes are associated more with feminine traits so I think that naturally happened, and I don't think they tried to make Serperior cute by the end. I think it's pretty regal and neutral.

They're focusing more on personality, but I'll have to see something overt like Primarina and Delphox in Gen 8 to say it's actually a pattern.

Jan 16, 2019
Let's Go allowed you to toggle walking Pokémon on and off so maybe they're just off for the purposes of this trailer.

A lot was hidden in this trailer, including the UI, so I think they just disabled all these things. An unusual decision but we'll figure out one way or another.

They probably want to sell the region first, give a vast look of the region so people to excited about Galar.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon in the overworld could be just as much of a surprise as random encounters if they were programmed well with AI and intractable in world/hiding in tall grass, etc. Sure, I wouldn't trust Gamefreak to do this and instead they'd just reuse let's go's way of handling it, but... I do think it's the future and it's what a lot of people want. Just a matter of when.

I'll be upfront and say I prefer random encounters.

With the said, until Game Freak can deliver Pokémon in the overworld (which implies much more then AI) I don't want to see it in a new gen game. Why?

In Let's Go go to Viridian Forest. You will see a Pidgey or Pidgeotto chilling right next to a Weedle or Caterpie. What wrong with this? In the Poké Dex and 1st season of the anime the birds eats the bug. Just knowing that broke my immersion of Let's Go. There are other examples like this.

The World needs to be bigger for it to feel natural. No not open world like Breath of the Wild but maybe something like XBCX2 where it's still linear but have enough space in it where Pokémon can act and behave like Pokémon. Imagine a group of Mankey's Being highly territorial over a tree or a flock of Spearal's flying about looking for lunch.

I couldn't stand the way it was done in Let's Go and wouldn't mind if Game Freak kept it exclusive to that series as I won't support those games again.

Again, it's a opinion. I already had some people get offended by my opinion like it had a chance to be reality in this thread.

Deleted member 2618

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It made it much easier to avoid wild Pokemon.
It did, but that wasn't a QOL improvement I, personally, cared about. I could go either way honestly but its clearly either the desire for nuzlocks or the desire for an easier progression through routes. I'm just not strong about the decision either way.

Jan 16, 2019
That sounds plausible. They're going to play into the whole stadium thing, without a doubt, both as a venue for sports and for music/entertainment. Hell, the starters themselves look like they're playing into that - Grookey representing music and Scorbunny sports.

Hoping they go one further and include some kind of team-based mechanic. Have them replace gyms/leaders.

I think it was more a ball-related sport like Grookey represents cricket, Scorbunny is clearly football (soccer), then Sobble probably maybe represents water polo.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't GameFreak just include a hard mode for veterans? That way kids can still enjoy an easy experience. Everyone wins.

For me it's more than just bumping up the level of the Pokemon I'm facing, or disabling XP share. That difficulty has to be reflected in the world design as well. I want puzzles to solve. I want to find some optional cave on a route and venture down into it and get lost. I want to arrive at a crossroads and be unsure of which direction to go in.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It did, but that wasn't a QOL improvement I, personally, cared about. I could go either way honestly but its clearly either the desire for nuzlocks or the desire for an easier progression through routes. I'm just not strong about the decision either way.

Sure, but you not caring about it as much as others is different from what you originally said lol

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Hope that the gym leaders this time have something more to them. If they aren't incorporated on the main plot then give them something like a schedule in HGSS where you get to meet them on certain places and know more about them. Having only a few being a rematch option or just a partner on the Battle Tower isn't enough.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

I just can't imagine why they would produce walking models for every single Pokémon back during the development of USM and then not use them. They used 151 of them in Let's Go but all these assets, which were surely a huge endeavor, already exist. What reason would they have to not use them? I guess performance is the only think I can think of.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think snakes are associated more with feminine traits so I think that naturally happened, and I don't think they tried to make Serperior cute by the end. I think it's pretty regal and neutral.

They're focusing more on personality, but I'll have to see something overt like Primarina and Delphox in Gen 8 to say it's actually a pattern.
Yeah, not saying it's a perfect pattern or something, just it may be a good indicator for future evolutions and stuff

It helps a bit with expectatiions as I doubt they will all three look "cool" and strong, one of them is likely to be more in line with Serperior/Delphox/Primarina line of starters.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yeah, not saying it's a perfect pattern or something, just it may be a good indicator for future evolutions and stuff

It helps a bit with expectatiions as I doubt they will all three look "cool" and strong, one of them is likely to be more in line with Serperior/Delphox/Primarina line of starters.
Serperior isn't cool? I always thought Serperior was the coolest of the Gen 5 final evolutions

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
Steel would make the most sense for Galar, which looks like the the region with the most industry.
Dragon would also make quite a bit of sense for the UK. Ghost is a possibility too, given some of our spookier legends, but I feel like Dragon and Steel have the most chance. If there's only one, it'll surely be Steel given the names of the games alone.

CrimsonDawn

May 29, 2018
Hope that the gym leaders this time have something more to them. If they aren't incorporated on the main plot then give them something like a schedule in HGSS where you get to meet them on certain places and know more about them. Having only a few being a rematch option or just a partner on the Battle Tower isn't enough.
I think Black & White handled it perfectly. You got little bits about each character and they all had an additional occupation. It gave more life to their characters. Seeing them show up during the story's climax was so awesome.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't imagine why they would produce walking models for every single Pokémon back during the development of USM and then not use them. They used 151 of them in Let's Go but all these assets, which were surely a huge endeavor, already exist. What reason would they have to not use them? I guess performance is the only think I can think of.
They had walking/running animations for every single pokemon in bw2.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
I'll be upfront and say I prefer random encounters.

With the said, until Game Freak can deliver Pokémon in the overworld (which implies much more then AI) I don't want to see it in a new gen game. Why?

In Let's Go go to Viridian Forest. You will see a Pidgey or Pidgeotto chilling right next to a Weedle or Caterpie. What wrong with this? In the Poké Dex and 1st season of the anime the birds eats the bug. Just knowing that broke my immersion of Let's Go. There are other examples like this.

The World needs to be bigger for it to feel natural. No not open world like Breath of the Wild but maybe something like XBCX2 where it's still linear but have enough space in it where Pokémon can act and behave like Pokémon. Imagine a group of Mankey's Being highly territorial over a tree or a flock of Spearal's flying about looking for lunch.

I couldn't stand the way it was done in Let's Go and wouldn't mind if Game Freak kept it exclusive to that series as I won't support those games again.

Again, it's a opinion. I already had some people get offended by my opinion like it had a chance to be reality in this thread.
Yeah I agree with this. I don't know how they did it in let's go because I haven't play that but it sounds like it's basically like the tales games where they're just little icons essentially that you run into to activate a battle. That is not at all what I think lots of people would want. They would want to actually find Pokémon interact with them sneak up on them, and a billion of other things that would make them feel alive in the overworld. I do hope that that's what they do eventually and that they don't do it until they can. I was hoping it would be this game but it's obviously not, so.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I can't imagine it either lol, can only hope at this point

I mean, won't be the end of the world if it isn't, but man, what a waste that would be.

Oh sorry, I didnt mean that as a general statement. I meant for myself.

All good haha

Serperior isn't cool? I always thought Serperior was the coolest of the Gen 5 final evolutions

He absolutely is the coolest one, the others look awful

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
For me it's more than just bumping up the level of the Pokemon I'm facing, or disabling XP share. That difficulty has to be reflected in the world design as well. I want puzzles to solve. I want to find some optional cave on a route and venture down into it and get lost. I want to arrive at a crossroads and be unsure of which direction to go in.

Yup. 100% agree.

But it can't hurt

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something is definitely a bit odd about the trailer. I think we all expected to see walking Pokémon. But there aren't any NPCs either. How weird is that?

Maybe they're saving a lot of this stuff.

It says Game Footage not Final on the trailer so my thought was that the footage for the demo was cut early as Pre-Alpha or Alpha stages. Look at how parts of the trailer looks great while other parts like the ground textures look sloppy and unfinished needing more work.

Ofcourse I can't prove this and just a thought I've had.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I don't know. I got away with pretty much just pressing a in battle repeatedly and not doing anything else for almost every encounter. Maybe it would be harder for someone absolutely new to the series.
You could do the same in every Pokemon game since red and blue if you only use your starter

Oct 27, 2017
Something is definitely a bit odd about the trailer. I think we all expected to see walking Pokémon. But there aren't any NPCs either. How weird is that?

Maybe they're saving a lot of this stuff.

They most definitely removed NPCs and other things from the trailer. Like I said early, we literally only saw a single NPC (or 2, if you count the black kid in battle) and 1 "overworld" pokemon (the munchlax in the player's house). There's no way the game is completely devoid of those things to this degree

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
The reason I'm holding out some hope for following Pokemon is because they must have removed NPCs for the trailer, yeah. Mind you I'm not expecting it at this point, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they revealed them when we get another look at the game.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Man Im just worried that we wont get new Megas. Logically there should be, but this is Game Freak - The Masters of Inconsistency

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
The reason I'm holding out some hope for following Pokemon is because they must have removed NPCs for the trailer, yeah. Mind you I'm not expecting it at this point, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they revealed them when we get another look at the game.
I'd say there's definitely still hope for that, for the same reason. I can see the logic for not having Pokémon in the overworld, since they can look kind of cluttered. There's no reason not to include followers, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised the logos were so similar, wonder what that means for the Legendaries
I'm going to go on a limb. No, I would bet money that it ties into the game's new mechanic. There'll only be 1 main legendary, but you can use some sort of "sword" or "shield" mechanic that modifies it. And this mechanic will probably apply to all pokemon as well

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man Im just worried that we wont get new Megas. Logically there should be, but this is Game Freak - The Masters of Inconsistency

If they want to drag on avoiding reaching 1,000 Pokémon like I've seen some people suggest Mega Evolutions and Regional Forms are the best way to add new Pokémon without driving up the Dex number.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be interesting if there was just a single legendary but each version has an exclusive item that transforms it into an offensive form (Sword) and defensive form (Shield).

I'm going to go on a limb. No, I would bet money that it ties into the game's new mechanic. There'll only be 1 main legendary, but you can use some sort of "sword" or "shield" mechanic that modifies it. And this mechanic will probably apply to all pokemon as well

That'd be pretty interesting.

One with massive fuck-off claws and teeth (maybe Ice-type?) and one with armour probably.

Speaking of armor, it'd be cool if the Legendary was a ghost type, maybe possessing some really powerful/magical armor or something along those lines lol

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Yeah there were no NPCs anywhere in the trailer apart from one munchlax. No way the region is actually that empty, it seems the trailer was just to show the environment

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
Nothing has come out of the QA with the Treehouse thing? I know it was pretty much a kids event, but I trust those kids must have some good questions.