• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 27, 2017
Not to mention that the same thing could be said about gyms. You already know what type you need to win before going in. There's no challenge there. Most don't even have a full team.

That's why they need.to.enforce.Pokemon.Stadium.rules. You can see all the gym leaders pokemon, but you can only pick n amount on your team and match their number. Hell, they could have a toggle for that be the "difficulty" setting in the game and pretty much no extra work for them.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
By best guess is, if it's even real, it will work like Mega Evolution.
So temporary change launched during the battle.

The elemental armour """"leak"""" explains that it changes the stats and typing of the Pokemon.
So a Charizard with a "Electric" elemental armour would become Fire/Electric with different stats.

I would welcome such a concept, but I'm really not sure I buy it yet.
At least it would be open to all Pokemon, unlike Megas, which is a plus.

Where did this Elemental armor rumor come from? Is there a link?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The idea is that every tiny battle will give cheap damage to your team, waste their PP, give them status, etc. It's not like every wild battle is a life or death situation, but that your team gets hurt and things get harder as long as you keep getting in battles in a cavern.

But I think lack of random encounters hurt balance a lot more in the distribution of wild Pokémon. If every encounter needs to be visible, they would need to animate and place like 400 different species or even more in a single region and that's unrealistic, even more when small routes often have dozens of different Pokémon. They would likely reduce the numbers of species and it would likely hurt any region not called Kanto, if they have to decide between a Durant or a Geodude to add to a cave enviromnet, the Geodude will win basically for being the Kanto pick.
In cavern you can just escape.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy-6gif.gif
I loved how epic this attack looked.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
The idea is that every tiny battle will give cheap damage to your team, waste their PP, give them status, etc. It's not like every wild battle is a life or death situation, but that your team gets hurt and things get harder as long as you keep getting in battles in a cavern.

But I think lack of random encounters hurt balance a lot more in the distribution of wild Pokémon. If every encounter needs to be visible, they would need to animate and place like 400 different species or even more in a single region and that's unrealistic, even more when small routes often have dozens of different Pokémon. They would likely reduce the numbers of species and it would likely hurt any region not called Kanto, if they have to decide between a Durant or a Geodude to add to a cave enviromnet, the Geodude will win basically for being the Kanto pick.
I disagree. Pokemon can appear only under specific weather conditions, seasons, times of day, etc. There could even be events made out of it. A truck transporting Pokemon food crashed near Route 17, dropping merchandise along the Route and attracting Pokemon not native to the area. Also, the animations for 700+ Pokemon already exist. They were not used in Sun and Moon, and only the first 151 were used for Let's Go.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It would not be against a system like SMT in which each combat is harder but your Pokémon heal automatically when finished. But I suppose that by how the PP works it would be difficult to balance.

Oct 27, 2017
this is the move (timecode 3:27 around that)

it's time to stop now

Thank you! I was trying to find a video with the move, but didn't want to watch through that one. I don't know how that poster thinks comparing 2 completely different moves makes any sense whatsoever

The moves and camera in this are already more dynamic than before

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
You missed the most important reason to keep random battles, which is that removing it would completely break the game's balance.

If Pokemon were visible on the field, you could always swap to a one of your super effective Pokemon before encountering them. So you would start every battle in advantage, making the game even more easy than it already is.

Visible encounters work in Pokemon Let's Go because there are no wild Pokemon fights. But they don't work when the challenge of the game is supposed to come from surviving wild Pokemon fights as you travel through dungeons and along routes.

The game's default state is to tell players which Pokemon their opponent is about to send out. Allowing players to switch to have the type advantage every single time. On top of the fact that a player can use 6 Pokemon against a trainer or Gym Leader that uses half of that. None of it makes any sense and it all contributes to a very easy experience.

Wild Pokemon battles have never really been a source of difficulty. Implementing overworld Pokemon wouldn't do more to damage the balance of the game than the aforementioned issues.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
The game balance ?! You have 6 Pokémon against a poor lonely Pokemon which is often under level thant any of your Pokémon. It is already NOT a fight, it is "just stay in the ball please".
Yeah, Heartskips's comment is right. Fundamentally, these games are supposed to be RPGs about resource management. The challenge is supposed to come from conserving all your resources as you travel through a dungeon filled with monsters.

At the end of the day, Pokemon are easy games, and there isn't too much challenge. But at least the core RPG mechanics and gameplay concepts are there. Removing random battles would be removing any claim Pokemon has to being a resource management RPG.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. Pokemon can appear only under specific weather conditions, seasons, times of day, etc. There could even be events made out of it. A truck transporting Pokemon food crashed near Route 17, dropping merchandise along the Route and attracting Pokemon not native to the area. Also, the animations for 700+ Pokemon already exist. They were not used in Sun and Moon, and only the first 151 were used for Let's Go.
These are very simple walking animations and would look extremely bad in a huge game (I already think they're bad in LGPE). You would need way more animation and interactions with the space to make them feel natural and that's simply not possible unless you basically reduce the number of species a lot.

Random encounters are simply the best way to fill a region with Pokémon and keep the "gacha" nature of the series.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
The game's default state is to tell players which Pokemon their opponent is about to send out. Allowing players to switch to have the type advantage every single time. On top of the fact that a player can use 6 Pokemon against a trainer or Gym Leader that uses half of that. None of it makes any sense and it all contributes to a very easy experience.

Wild Pokemon battles have never really been a source of difficulty. Implementing overworld Pokemon wouldn't do more to damage the balance of the game than the aforementioned issues.
Pokemon games are very easy, but that doesn't mean they need to be even easier. There is a difference between "very easy" and "stupid broken easy". They at least pretend to have the core mechanics of a dungeon crawling, resource management RPG, and I appreciate that.

And they do give you the option to use set style battles, which is the most fun way to play the game in my opinion.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
It would be cool if there was a "hard mode". Pokémon games are fun and I play all the main titles, but it feels way too easy these data.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! I was trying to find a video with the move, but didn't want to watch through that one. I don't know how that poster thinks comparing 2 completely different moves makes any sense whatsoever

The moves and camera in this are already more dynamic than before

And here is it in gif form for people to compare and stop with their bad faith arguments
1551381080-ezgif-2-5be1f38d59d6.gif

1551381554-dddd.gif

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I hope you are done fighting with each other because my little Sobble will be sad otherwise.

Aww. Forgive my ignorance, but what is that material they're made of?

These are very simple walking animations and would look extremely bad in a huge game (I already think they're bad in LGPE). You would need way more animation and interactiong with the space to make them feel natural and that's simply not possible unless you basically reduce the number of species a lot.

Random encounters are simply the best way to fill a region with Pokémon and keep the "gacha" nature of the series.
Eh. Personally, I think there are plenty of things in the games that make the environment not "feel natural". I don't think using those animations would do anything to swing the pendulum strongly in either direction.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Hard mode is the post game essentially. Where you grind it out to build the perfect level 100 team to take on the battle tower/tree and online.

Grinding to 100 isn't fun though. I rather have a more challenging story experience, instead of only grinding to get to level 100 to do end game stuff.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
JG3fc8L.jpg

I wonder why they removed every single Pokémon Center from the map and what is the new "big" purple building. It seems to be a Pokémon Market but possibly with more stuff?

Oct 27, 2017
And here is it in gif form for people to compare and stop with their bad faith arguments
1551381080-ezgif-2-5be1f38d59d6.gif

1551381554-dddd.gif

It's hard to tell, but it looks like they fixed another problem I had before, which is a lack of knockback when hit by a strong attack. The older 3D games would have them knocked back, then step/waddle/flap back to their original position, which really sold the power of some attacks. In the 3DS games no matter the strength they'd just flinch and it would look incredibly jarring

JG3fc8L.jpg

I wonder why they removed every single Pokémon Center from the map and what is the new "big" purple building. It seems to be a Pokémon Market but possibly with more stuff?
Haven't the markets been built into the same building as the center for a while? Or am I going crazy?

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Did you really? It's just so hard for me to believe, I've been playing since Pokémon Blue, I played every single game except Let's Go, and Ultra Sun was the hardest game of the series hands down, to the point I didn't just have trouble with every totem battle but also with freaking normal trainers with a few Pokémon in their teams. That game made me get angry at how many times I kept losing battles.
Comparatively I find gen 1 and gen 2 to be the absolute easiest games in the series with only gen 6 being the exception.

Ha! Really? As I said on another post, for me Ultra Sun was really easy. It took me a while to complete it, but because since I got a job I just can't find enough time to play, however, I didn't have much trouble throughout the game. If you stick to a team they level up like crazy. I don't even remember which were my six Pokés, because most of the battles I beat them with just Decidueye and Malamar. And I'm not even of that kind of player that breed the best stats or soft reset, I literally stay with the first Pokémon of each species I stumble upon.

In the other hand, I bought the Virtual Console version of Pokémon Yellow, and I barely made it to the 8th gym, and I think to this day I didn't even make it to the League, but mostly because I transfer most of my creatures to the PokéBank xD It was just so hard to level up my Pokémon. Pikachu, Butterfree and Nidorina were my strongest Pokémon, but it felt just really complicated to advance through the game. There were even times I didn't even know where to go, 'cause I already forgot the storyline.

Btw, I need to start playing UltraSun again to complete the Pokédex and bring all the Pokémon from my previous games to have them ready for whatever thing they announce to transfer them to Gen VIII.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grinding to 100 isn't fun though. I rather have a more challenging story experience, instead of only grinding to get to level 100 to do end game stuff.
Yeah, I agree with you.

It's just that you see a lot of people treat the story mode as the part they rush through to get to the "real" game of raising and developing a perfect team for competitive play (be it offline for the Battle Tower/Tree or online against other players) so I think Game Freak may treat it as story mode is for the "kids" and the post-game is for the older experienced players.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
JG3fc8L.jpg

It's not just that. There's far more than is on the map. Take the city shown at night in snow, that's in front of the pillared temple, but it doesn't appear in that way at all on the map

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
JG3fc8L.jpg

The purple building is the lab, what with the big Pokeball, Greenhouse in the right and general size compared to the footage we saw inside the lab in the trailer. Which makes me curious as to what is the lakeside house which looks the same.

Jan 9, 2018
I'm guessing the purple buildings in/near the starting town are actually the Professor's Lab(s). They made a point to focus on just the opening parts of the game in the trailer, and we saw the inside of the Lab after the trainer was walking towards the purple building iirc.

I think removing the Pokemon Centres is just to make the map look less cluttered.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon appearing based on time is all good in theory, but if we had a train themed Pokémon in this game, we all know it'll never appear when it's supposed to.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Mega Evolution was a Gen 6 gimmick, we didn't get any in Gen 7. I don't see why they would introduce more of them now, but who knows.

Megas were in the Gen 7 games, even in Pokemon Lets Go which were aimed at the more casual audience. This is a battle mechanic that is here to stay, so why not make more Mega Evolutions?

I can only surmise that they didnt add new ones in Gen 7 to focus on Alolan formes, and more importantly, Z moves. Hell, they even took the slot for Mega Stones so I believe they thought new ones would discourage the use of Z moves.

I just dont want to see a new mechanic that is the same as Mega Evolutions so they can give new ones mainly to the Pokemon that already have them.

I couldn't agree more.

I got crap earlier in the thread because I'm tired of seeing Pikachu all over the place and wanting to see a different Pokémon in the lime light. (Still excited for Detective Pikachu though)

I saw Flygon in the trailer. Hopefully it's Flygon's time and he gets a Mega. My daughter would be extactic as Flygon is her favorite Dragon type.

Well Pikachu is the mascot character so he will always get excessive promotion and focus from them. But Charizard, Gengar, Mewtwo, and the likes shouldn't get even more Mega-like formes when so many Pokemon are overlooked because of their popularity.

If they want to cater to Pikachu then Id be ecstatic to see a Mega Raichu finally, but we will probably get Knight Pikachu or something lol

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The purple building is the lab, what with the big Pokeball, Greenhouse in the right and general size compared to the footage we saw inside the lab in the trailer. Which makes me curious as to what is the lakeside house which looks the same.

Oh you're right, the lab has those windows on the right side.

zUC1SAW.jpg

Then I wonder what's the purple house near the lake.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
If Zelda fans had this mentality after Skyward Sword, we would never have gotten Breath of the Wild.

Idk how you can tell people to enjoy something, when enjoyment is subjective.
i mean i think it goes without saying that there will be a pokemon game where you can turn the camera and walk around like in BOTW.

one day, not soon but one day.

in the trailer today, you can obviously tell that itll be paths with a fixed camera
JG3fc8L.jpg

This is what i was getting at, with respect. The paths in your image right there can be walked through, but the camera can only go 1-2 ways, going down one way and then the camera flipped going down the other way.

I wonder when we will get an open air system.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Jan 9, 2018
More Pokémon revealed in the CGI look of the new Mewtwo Movie:

D0g5y5aXcAY08Ec.jpg:large
I love these designs, they've all translated to CGI well. Bummer that there's no post-Johto Pokemon here, but we'll see about that when the movie comes out. I think we're getting a trailer today, so here's hoping we see something cool.

It says Armored Mewtwo in katakana and it's basically a new form I guess.

I'll assume the leaks about Armored Evolutions are right. lol
That's wild. If this is actually happening, I hope we see it in the trailer coming today just so we can get that out of the way. Armoured Evolution sounds way too crazy to be real, but I would've said that about Mega Evolutions way back when.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah i thought the lakeside house was the lab at first but now i have no idea. This region is going to be huuuge