• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Knightywing

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Ice would also be a lot of better if GF didn't insist on making most Ice Pokemon slow and defensive. Ain't nobody got time for that. It also would've helped if Fairy didn't completely steal their thunder in Gen 6, making them the Dragon-slayers. Personally, I would make Ice resist Fairy and Dragon, giving Ice some nice resistances without giving it additional advantages.

While the discussion is still about Ice Pokemon, I would love to see Ice Pokemon appear much earlier during the game. It's a shame that Ice Pokemon are either found in optional caves (Kanto/Hoenn) or in later areas (in all of the regions). There is little incentive to use Ice Pokemon if they appear so late in the game, when most players have finalized their team by the time they get to them. And you also run into the issue that if you really need/want Ice coverage on your team, you can always slap Ice Beam on your Water Pokemon. While it is too late for GF to do this for Sword&Shield going by the map, I'm still holding out for a game where it happens.

Rigbones

Oct 25, 2017
I only didn't use Crabominable because how late it evolves at.

It was also kind of obnoxious how late Charjabug evolves at. And considering that was literally the only new non-legendary/mythical electric line (IIRC), kinda felt like I was being encouraged to use the good ole PIkachu or Magneton instead.

EDIT: Although I guess at the same time Magneton couldn't evolve until that location also.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they get to Cacturne next. Imagine being lost in a desert and seeing the same Cactus as you try searching for water/civilization. Then notice more Cactus, then eventually you're surrounded by them by nightfall. Where you are then eaten.

Cacturne is nifty but I'm not gonna lie I feel like Cacnea is perfect and his evolution feels like a huge step down. It's the same with Spheal.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was also kind of obnoxious how late Charjabug evolves at. And considering that was literally the only new non-legendary/mythical electric line (IIRC), kinda felt like I was being encouraged to use the good ole PIkachu or Magneton instead.
That's true too but Chargabug was surprisingly good for me.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Catching them all was quite a task when it was 493 back in Gen VI, and while they've made more Pokemon accessible in more games now it's still an overwhelming number for new players who have to start from scratch.

There were 493 in Gen IV, or 721 in Gen VI. :P

I think of these more along the lines of Keldeo where he has two separate forms in battle. Which is generally agreed as not a new Pokemon but separate form.

Deciding factor for me is Game Freak is okay considering Regional Forms as NEW Pokemon because they changed them enough (permanently) to justify considering them New. Where as Megas are temporary and because of this should not be considered in the count for New Pokemon.

I hope this made sense.

It made sense, but Keldeo's forms are permanent outside of battle. It is Meloetta's Pirouette forme which is battle only.

But I agree, they're afraid of making the Pokédex grow too large.

Which is exactly why they've shifted National Pokédex out of the games and into Bank

tear.gif

I'll never forgive them for that. It was such an essential part of the Pokémon Games. It hurts me seeing the non Alolan Pokémon without a number in SM/USUM. It's almost offensive to the rest of the Pokémon, because it's as if they didn't count. Well, they actually don't.

They should embrace the nature of the Pokémon franchise and be proud of their nearly 1000 creatures and give all of them the place they deserve on every main Pokémon game.

If at least the Pokémon Bank pokédex showed the 3D models, I wouldn't be mad at all. Or if they at least kept giving new entries to all the Pokémon instead of recycling the same 4 from previous generations.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Ice would also be a lot of better if GF didn't insist on making most Ice Pokemon slow and defensive. Ain't nobody got time for that. It also would've helped if Fairy didn't completely steal their thunder in Gen 6, making them the Dragon-slayers. Personally, I would make Ice resist Fairy and Dragon, giving Ice some nice resistances without giving it additional advantages.

While the discussion is still about Ice Pokemon, I would love to see Ice Pokemon appear much earlier during the game. It's a shame that Ice Pokemon are either found in optional caves (Kanto/Hoenn) or in later areas (in all of the regions). There is little incentive to use Ice Pokemon if they appear so late in the game, when most players have finalized their team by the time they get to them. And you also run into the issue that if you really need/want Ice coverage on your team, you can always slap Ice Beam on your Water Pokemon. While it is too late for GF to do this for Sword&Shield going by the map, I'm still holding out for a game where it happens.
The whole region is more of a temperate climate, so if they introduce a real day/night cycle again with different Pokemon appearing at night, they could theoretically slot in a few Ice types that only appear at night. Like stick a snowy owl in the forest near the player's house. An Ice/Ground Galarian Drilbur that sleeps underground during the day. There's definitely options if Game Freak actually wanted to do something.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why though? Why that over the dozens of other "Pokémon Sword & Shield set in the UK" posts we have had in the last year

Mainly because of the timing of it all and how reasonable it is compared to all the over the top the other rumors are.

All I'm saying is that I'm giving it some credibility not that I believe it or even excited by it all.

I'm someone who watches a ton of videos on YouTube covering 4chan fakes. I'm also someone who was extremely excited by what King Zell was saying about gen 8 is going to be Game Freak's BotW moment. I think King Zell statement can still be possible because that "moment" can something feature related like a great online similar to Gen 6 PSS.

At the end of the day if all we get is a Gen 8 Pokémon game with little advancements I'm also someone who would be extremely satisfied with that.

The only hope I have is that Game Freak improves the 6v6 scene or makes it easier some how to get into 6v6 matches.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would one even go about buffing ice?

Oh man, my favorite type

Super Effective against Water

Resist Grass

Resist Water

Resist Flying Attacks or full immunity. Birds don't handle the cold well outside some species. Maybe give Flying types one attack that's Super Effactive against Ice Types like Freeze Dry for Water Types.

Make it Rock Attack's Nuetral to it, I don't understand why Rock wrecks Ice in this game.

This one I'm on the fence on myself but since Ground wrecks Rock and Steel make it so Ice Resist Ground Attack

Full immunity to Ice type Attacks

Hail Buff, instead of doing the buffs Sand gets give Ice Types a slight boost in Speed and increase power in Ice type attacks.

Last edited:

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ice deserves a big buff. And no way Frozen should be one turn, three would be fair, just like Sleep.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

EDIT: Although I guess at the same time Magneton couldn't evolve until that location also.
Charjabug was great. tanky little thing. throwing an eviolite on it would have been great for me (I still like Vikavolt, even if it is unfortunately slow)

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I want my Attack and Speed based Eviolite items in the next gen, just to see more mons suddenly become more viable.

And if there's worries on certain mon's becoming too strong with it, Maybe 50% Buff for first stages and 30% Buff for second stages (Or maybe variable buffs for certain mons like Porygon 2, Electabuzz, Scyther and the like).

I would also go for an item that was essentially the Competitive Ability, so when you get those double intimidate starts in doubles. Suddenly my Milotic is threatening a +4 Special Attack on them.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017

You also had Togedemaru, who's actually a really solid in-game Pokemon despite getting a bad rap as a Pika-clone! Plus the Alolan Geodude line.

There's also Pom-Pom Style Oricorio, but it doesn't get an Electric move until it learns Revelation Dance, which came pretty late-game for me.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand why we don't have an Intimidate analogue for S-Atk but I'm not involved in competitive play at all

EDIT: The A-Geodude line is so funky fresh

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I feel like having Ice resist Water, Fairy, and and Flying would be about all it would need to stop sucking really bad. And maybe remove its Rock weakness too.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Ice deserves a big buff. And no way Frozen should be one turn, three would be fair, just like Sleep.

Nah, it's very different from Sleep, that's why the turn limit should be very low.

If you want to put a Pokemon asleep, you have to sacrifice a turn and use a sleep move which only puts the Pokemon to sleep. It makes sense that it lasts at least one turn.

Freeze is a side effect of an attacking move which already does damage. Moreover, it's random. So the benefit from Freeze should be lower than the benefit from Sleep.

In any case, the current way it works is insane. I've been frozen for seven turns once, and I would probably have been frozen the next turn if I hadn't thrown my 3DS against the wall.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And maybe remove its Rock weakness too.
Nah, Rock needs stuff too.

In any case, the current way it works is insane. I've been frozen for seven turns once, and I would probably have been frozen the next turn if I hadn't thrown my 3DS against the wall.
Same happened to me once and I raged too, but... that's not common at all. FRZ is basically a status that doesn't bother me nearly as much as Burn or Paralyze, that are way more reliable and part of people's strategies.

I think it's fine as it is.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I feel like having Ice resist Water, Fairy, and and Flying would be about all it would need to stop sucking really bad. And maybe remove its Rock weakness too.

Would three new resistances be overkill? I feel like Ice is intended as a "glass cannon" type, with high offensive presence and a risky defenseive presence. Water resistance and neutral to rock would go a long way, though.

Is stealth rock still as mandatory and gamebreaking these days as it was in gen 4?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand why we don't have an Intimidate analogue for S-Atk but I'm not involved in competitive play at all

EDIT: The A-Geodude line is so funky fresh

My guess is because Nasty Plot is a lot rarer of a move than Swords Dance is (Swords Dance is often a TM), compare the numbers between the two.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nasty_Plot_(move)
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Swords_Dance_(move)

So Sword Dance shows up more often, but to counter it, there are abilities to limit it's capabilities, whilst Nasty Plot is rarer, but won't have counter abilities to shut it down.

No point making Special Attack and Attack function identically to each other after-all, there should be different perks between the two other than what type of stats are used.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Would three new resistances be overkill? I feel like Ice is intended as a "glass cannon" type, with high offensive presence and a risky defenseive presence. Water resistance and neutral to rock would go a long way, though.

Is stealth rock still as mandatory and gamebreaking these days as it was in gen 4?
One of the big problems with Ice though is that Gamefreak sure as hell aren't treating like a glass canon type with the general stat distribution of Ice types.

They keep pumping out slow-ass Ice mons like Avalugg and Crabomidable and only occasionally do they give us a decent sweeper like Weavile or A-Ninetales. Combined with their Stealth Rock weakness, I feel like they basically need three more resistances to prevent them from getting completely demolished whenever they get switched in and out.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Would i
My guess is because Nasty Plot is a lot rarer of a move than Swords Dance is (Swords Dance is often a TM), compare the numbers between the two.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nasty_Plot_(move)
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Swords_Dance_(move)

So Sword Dance shows up more often, but to counter it, there are abilities to limit it's capabilities, whilst Nasty Plot is rarer, but won't have counter abilities to shut it down.

No point making Special Attack and Attack function identically to each other after-all, there should be different perks between the two other than what type of stats are used.

Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate the insight!

Hypothetical: if Gen VIII took Ice Beam out of Water move-pools how badly would it fuck up the meta?

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

I don't know, but if someone is gonna stay one turn frozen, that should be the Fire-type Pokémon. I never play competitive, but when I do (like this past tournament to get Shiny Tapu Bulu) my Salazzle stayed frozen almost the entire battle. The only time it thawed out, was only to get frozen again the next turn, and stayed like that until it was defeated. I just couldn't believe the irony of a Fire-type Pokémon getting frozen twice in a row, for the maximum amount of turns possible each time.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, stealth rock was such a bad and overly centralizing addition to the battle system lol

I want to know which designer decided to put Stealth Rocks into Let's Go (As a TM!), but not any of the counter moves to it like Rapid Spin or Defog. One move and then every switch will hurt for the rest of the match and there's no way to remove it.

Let's Go was supposed to trim the movepool to the most basic of moves, how did that one get through the cracks?

Oct 25, 2017
I've never once seen Freezing occur for more than two turns, not to mention almost every freezing move only has a 10% status chance.

I don't know, but if someone is gonna stay one turn frozen, that should be the Fire-type Pokémon. I never play competitive, but when I do (like this past tournament to get Shiny Tapu Bulu) my Salazzle stayed frozen almost the entire battle. The only time it thawed out, was only to get frozen again the next turn, and stayed like that until it was defeated. I just couldn't believe the irony of a Fire-type Pokémon getting frozen twice in a row, for the maximum amount of turns possible each time.
Almost every fire move thaws you for free.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, stealth rock was such a bad and overly centralizing addition to the battle system lol
It's never going away. It's just too good to ever go away.

I want to know which designer decided to put Stealth Rocks into Let's Go (As a TM!), but not any of the counter moves to it like Rapid Spin or Defog. One move and then every switch will hurt for the rest of the match and there's no way to remove it.

Let's Go was supposed to trim the movepool to the most basic of moves, how did that one get through the cracks?
It's mindblowing that they did this. lol One of the best, most centralizing and annoying moves in the game gets in, but no counters to it. Feels like they just wanted to make sure people wouldn't play it in a competitive way.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Stealth Rocks is more of a issue in singles, which isn't the "official" competitive format. In doubles those Pokemon just get destroyed by Rock Slide.

Would i

Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate the insight!

Hypothetical: if Gen VIII took Ice Beam out of Water move-pools how badly would it fuck up the meta?
I don't think a lot of the notable water Pokemon run ice beam these days outside of Kyogre in VGC and even then less than half of them do.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Stealth Rocks is more of a issue in singles, which isn't the "official" competitive format. In doubles those Pokemon just get destroyed by Rock Slide.

I don't think a lot of the notable water Pokemon run ice beam these days outside of Kyogre in VGC and even then less than half of them do.
Ah, is that the same for the hardest-hitting ice moves in general? Sorry if I am asking the dumbest questions

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Defending underappreciated Pokémons #1: Electrode
101.png

So I see that a lot of you guys like talking about pokémon design in this thread. I know It's a bit out of the subject, but I thought it would be cool to sometimes defend the oddballs, unpopular or commonly hated pocket monsters here. I guess it's also a nice thing to do while waiting for some announcements.

So, Electrode. One of the laziest and least original design Game Freaks could ever put out, I mean, I don't like it too, it's just Voltorb flipped upside down.

But what if...
Maybe Electrode wasn't just made as just another "in there" gen 1 pokémon, as I have a little theory to defend our lil' ball.
In the game, the whole point of Voltorb is to hide himself as a pokeball to trick the player, so we can easily think that this is the way the species catch their preys.
But wouldn't it be a little too obvious to find Voltorb's eyes as they are on the red part of the pokeballs that he is imitating?
PTRVC5H.png

So yeah, Voltorb might struggle "hunting" with his little eyes always showing.
So, when he evolves...
fPohGNg.png

So, yeah. Voltorb evolves into Electrode just to disguise himself better. Come on, it has to be this! Look, his eyes are even smaller than before! As for the mouth, by looking at how flat it is, our spherical boi just has to close it to be in perfect "tracking" mode.

...But, there is a problem. My drawing is inaccurate.
The pokedex indicates us that Electrode is 3'11'', wich just is waaaaay to big. Hey, at least, I tried. My explanation here is that Game Freaks originally wanted to make Electrode the same size as Voltorb, but they may have thought that it wouldn't be appealing enough to kids and wouldn't really look like an evolution.
But still, to me, the idea of a Pokémon adaptating itself to his hunting capacities still is fascinating.

Oh, and also, I want to eat Electrode, the fucker looks like a jawbreaker.
Beautiful. Tragic and beautiful. Cried reading this. Looking forward to Muk.

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest ice buff should be become neutral to fire or resist water, or maybe both, the problem with ice type is not much the number of weaknesses, is that all the types that ice type is weak to are very great offensive yes even steel now that fairy type exist, if you buff the type with resistances to no good ofenssive types like grass or averages like flying and dragon, the type would still suck and nobody would be using it thanks to coverange, is why grass is better than ice as a type considering that in theory grass and bug should have it worse that ice, but you see these types thriving more that ice, realistic these two types are more used because they have niches against good types like water, dark or ground. Fire and water in general are amazing types that should have nerfed along with steel in gen 6.

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
Ice type resisting water and being super effective against water would be nice.
Give it another resistance and it will help alot

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Oh man, my favorite type

Super Effective against Water

Resist Grass

Resist Water

Resist Flying Attacks or full immunity. Birds don't handle the cold well outside some species. Maybe give Flying types one attack that's Super Effactive against Ice Types like Freeze Dry for Water Types.

Make it Rock Attack's Nuetral to it, I don't understand why Rock wrecks Ice in this game.

This one I'm on the fence on myself but since Ground wrecks Rock and Steel make it so Ice Resist Ground Attack

Full immunity to Ice type Attacks

Hail Buff, instead of doing the buffs Sand gets give Ice Types a slight boost in Speed and increase power in Ice type attacks.

Ice and Steel super effective on one another. frozen steel is easily broken, ice can be smashed with steel tools.
Ice super effective on water
Ice resist grass
Ice resist Dragon
Ice resist Flying
Ice immune to water (Scald and Steam Eruption are super effective on Ice types)
Ice and Rock are neutral on each other
Ice loses fighting weakness. Fighting now neutral on Ice. Try punching something in the freezing cold.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
My issue with Megas being seen as new pokémon is that they don't feel like new pokemon.

Regional forms are great. The smartest idea game freak has had in a long time, hampered only by the decision to make them Gen 1 only. Outside of that I think it's a great way to shine a spotlight on older pokemon, try out designs they had that seemed too similar to old ones and make the region feel even more unique, so I'll be sad if that get left behind in Alola.

Megas however, don't feel like new pokémon, as to me a new pokémon is something permanent. I know they are trying out new ideas for that such as with Lycanroc, but something that reverts back, or is swappable between, doesn't feel like a new pokémon to me, it feels like a Form. Megas don't stay around, don't show up when I look at the Pokémon tab, don't have their own names, they feel like "Hey look it's a really buff form of this pokemon..... and the fights over, it's reverted back."

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ice loses fighting weakness. Fighting now neutral on Ice. Try punching something in the freezing cold.

I have a weird reasoning why Fighting is Super Effective against Steel and Ice. That reason is the Rocky movies.

In the first Rocky movie Rocky trains by beating on frozen cow meat/hide breaking the frozen cow rib bones.

In the fourth Rocky movie Drago is beating the ever loving crap out of Rocky and inbetween rounds he calls Rocky tough and durable like a slab of iron or a piece of steel. This quote isn't direct like Drago line in the movie reguardless after he said it he went on his rampage wailing on Rocky.

I'm surprisingly ok with Fighting being Super Effective against Ice, Rock, and Steel despite it not making much real life sense at all. I don't think Fighting types would survive a nerf taking away it's Super Effectiveness against this types. Maybe Fighting Types needs a nerf 🤔

I agree with the rest of your post and would add Ice resisting or immunity to Flying Type Attack.

Last edited:

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I don't like the idea of Ice resisting Grass, mainly because Grass as an offensive type is already resisted by seven types, which is a lot. It doesn't help that unlike Bug, there exists an ability that completely nullifies it, rare as this ability is. Worse: one of the Pokemon (line) with this ability is a Water-type, as despite it having a better ability, it still finds use. It doesn't help that a lot of Grass-types have little coverage so they usually can't get around Pokemon that resist it (or are immune to it), making the rare ones with good offensive coverage like Tangrowth and Alolan Exeggutor more notable. Unlike Bug, Grass also has a lot of weaknesses (5 of them) so even though it has some unique resistances, the types that it counters could usually find a move to lure them, most prominently Water with their bonus Ice coverage (and it can potentially freeze them, which is worse).

I don't mind Ice resisting other types like Water, Flying or Dragon since they are all in a good place, but Grass is generally not in a good place overall for it to be resisted by one more type.

Thank you for reading.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought Ice is weak to Fighting cause ice can be shattered if you punch it. Makes sense for me.

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
You want a sustancial buff to ice types, then add a resistance to ground or water types, and nerf fire type, ice type will added resistances like grass, flying or dragon would still be underwhelming because everyone and their mother has super effective coverage against the type despite people not accounting for it in teambuilding, not only that but adding these resistances would make the type a poor mans steel type, why have a defensive ice type when you have a steel type and then you can search for a water and flying and fairy type to cover most of steel weakness without adding many others, ice simply doesn't have any niche defensive, and offensive wise fairy and water and rock are better thanks to better moves and especialized niches in the metagame.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Half of the these changes to ice weaknesses/defenses dont make sense, and it's just stretches to try to make their favourite type OP.

Like, how Ice being super-effective against water make any sense in the slightest?

What is throwing ice into water gonna even do?

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
It feels like we're past the point of Ice ever getting buffed. If it was going to happen it would have happened by now. The only changes ever made to an existing type were done to stop one Pokémon being too powerful and I don't see how that could happen again to benefit Ice types.

One thing Game Freak needs to do however is to stop treating Ice type as a late game type. Every Ice gym in the series has been either the 7th or the 8th and aside from Candice in Platinum they've all been absolute pushovers. Wulfric is the most pathetic, forgettable final Gym Leader the series has ever seen and whoever decided on a team of Abomasnow, Crygonal and Avalugg for him shouldn't be allowed to create Gym Leader rosters again.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half of the these changes to ice weaknesses/defenses dont make sense, and it's just stretches to try to make their favourite type OP.

Like, how Ice being super-effective against water make any sense in the slightest?

What is throwing ice into water gonna even do?

Water is greatly effected by the environment it's in. If it's a an warm environment the water is warm and can be swam in but if water is in a cold environment it freezes.

Take that logic and apply it to Pokémon battles. It makes perfect sense for Ice to be Super Effective against water types and even resist water type attack except for Scald and Steam Erruption.