Pokémon Sword and Shield announced. Coming Late 2019

Which starter will you choose?

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
This discussion about starters just reminds me that gen 4 has the absolute best Pokémon designs of all.
Torterra, Infernape, Empoleon, Staraptor, Buizel, Roserade, Lucario, Garchomp, TOGEKISS, Rotom, Darkrai, Shaymin, Manaphy, Giratina, Dialga and Palkia, Weavile, Mamoswine, Gallade, Toxicroak... I better stop or I’ll end up just listing the whole dex.

Jan 1, 2019
I'll say my controversial opinion that I like every Pokemon in at least some aspect. The only ones I outright dislike or hate are lazy recolors like the Genies or the elemental monkeys. I'll also say that one of the main reasons I tend to prefer newer Pokemon to older ones is that a lot more thought gets put into giving them personalities, unique traits in battle, and giving them a place in the ecosystem of the region. Alola especially excels at this, you'd never get shit like Pyukumuku and all the cool details about it in an older game.

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
Oh we doing lists?

Zard > Ape > Rat(?) > Fox > Chicken > Cat > Ganon
Gatr > Frog > Penguin > Mustache Sea lion > Turtle > Mermaid Sea lion > That other thing
Gecko > Owl >=Turtle > Snake > Toad(?) > Knight(??) > the other one

Oct 25, 2017
On a separate note, I prefer normal Charizard over its megas. They made it look “cool” but Charizard is a good design because it has cool features but also some goofier elements. Reminds me of what Sugimori said about toning down coolness I read about in the other thread
That's exactly it. And also part of why I feel nothing for the live action version that looks like it came from Jurassic Park.
Pokemon excels so hard with bold, stylistic design choices that work as abstractions and get lost or muddied in translation to realism.

Jan 1, 2019
Don’t call me a gen 1 hater but Blastoise is an insult to Squirtle and Wartortle
I think what makes Blastoise disappointing is that Squirtle and Wartortle were looking like the mythological Minogame, which is a really cool basis for a Pokemon, and then all of a sudden all the tail stuff goes away and it grows random cannons out of nowhere.

May 22, 2018
Blaziken (the GOAT Pokemon) >>> Inceniroar > Infernape > Zard > Emboar > Typhlosion > Delphox

Greninja > Empoleon > Swampert > Primarina > Samurott > Blastoise > Feraligatr

Decidueye > Sceptile >>> Venusaur > Torterra > Meganium > Chesnaught > Serperior

Oct 25, 2017
I think what makes Blastoise disappointing is that Squirtle and Wartortle were looking like the mythological Minogame, which is a really cool basis for a Pokemon, and then all of a sudden all the tail stuff goes away and it grows random cannons out of nowhere.
Heh there's a reason for that: Blastoise and Wartortle were unrelated Pokemon until really late in the dev process. This is the backsprite for the cut Wartortle evolution that leaked out recently:

Hard to say what they were going for (really wish we got the front sprites), but it seems like a bigger Wartortle to me from the back at least. Maybe the front was different?

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, that’s exactly it. I probably wouldn’t mind it as much if it was a separate Pokémon.

Oct 25, 2017
The only fire starter I like are Charizard and Infernape, I don't really care for the rest.

I don't hate Tysplosion I just find his design kind of bland
Well Typhlosion is just basically a poor mon version of Charizard but without the duel typing.

Alright, so while we're on the topic, give me your Grass and Water starter lists
Grass;

Decidueye,
Sceptile,
Torterra,
Venusaur,
Meganium=Serperior,
Chesnaught,

Water;

Feraligatr,
Samurott,
Empoleon,
Greninja,
Blastoise=Swampert
Primarina

Honestly doing the water starter was harder than the grass starter as for some reason none of them have really stood out in any of my playthrough, whereas the grass starters have. They're just kinda there.

On a separate note, I prefer normal Charizard over its megas. They made it look “cool” but Charizard is a good design because it has cool features but also some goofier elements. Reminds me of what Sugimori said about toning down coolness I read about in the other thread
I like base Charizard and Charizard Y. But I don't like Charizard X, I think the flame mouth look silly and the it looks silly in battle as well with it's gliding animation. The wings also looks they have been stuck on.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly my top four fire starters have basically been Blaziken/Infernape/Typhlosion/Incineroar joining the ranks. Everything else is whatever. I can say the starters that least appeal to me are grass starters. Bulbasaur is my alltime favorite and everything else is just there. Then again I've been a fire boy since G/S (breaking that with Sobble I think).

Oct 27, 2017
Everything becomes 10 times harder when you try to rank the first form of the starters. They’re all so fucking cute.

Except Froakie. Yuck.

Nov 10, 2018
Incineroar's design is clever enough for me to love the hell out of it. Honestly the only generations where I wasn't really feeling any of the starters were 3 and 6. 6's were way to humanoid (mainly chesnaught and delphox) to the point where I found it kinda creepy. I did love Blaziken as a kid though

Oct 29, 2017
Incineroar and Delphox are weird because they're the inverses of each other in that Incineroar only really looks good in-game with it's animations, while Delphox looks awful in-game but look pretty cool in it's artwork.

Oct 27, 2017
Starter lists (Counting whole lines, best to worst)

Grass: Rowlett > Treecko > Snivy > Turtwig > Chikorita > Bulbasaur > Chespin
Fire: Cyndaquil > Torchic > Fennekin (Curse you Delphox, would be top otherwise!) > Chimchar > The other 3 (I dislike all 3, at least Emboar wasn't a Gen 5 Smash Rep.)
Water: Oshawott > Squirtle > Mudkip > Popplio > Piplup > Froakie > Totodile

May 17, 2018
The full comprehensive list:

Sceptile > Torterra > Venasaur > Decidueye > Meganium > Serperior >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chestnaught (nearly the worst Pokemon of 809)

Typhlosion (near-GOAT) > Charizard > Blaziken > Infernape >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Incineroar > Emboar >>>>>>>>> Delphox (the absolute worst Pokemon of the 809 that exist)

Greninja > Blastoise > Primarina > Feraligatr > Swampert > Empoleon >>>>>>> Samurott

Full: Typhlosion > Charizard > Greninja > Sceptile > Torterra > Venasaur > Decidueye > Blastoise > Blaziken > Primarina > Feraligatr > Infernape > Swampert > Meganium > Serperior > Empoleon > Samurott > Incineroar > Emboar > Chestnaught > Delphox

I really only dislike Chestnaught, Samurott, and the last 3 fire starters. They keep screwing up fire and I'm hoping somehow Scorbunny (who is pretty great itself) evolves into something worthwhile but I'm not holding a lot of hope on a bipedal fire bunny. They just refuse to give us a quadruped!

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
So looking through the lists, it looks like everyone hates Chesnaught? Why is that? I didn't think it was that bad. Certainly not the best, but I don't think its awful.
They had a good thing going with Chespin and Quilladin and their brown/green/orange color scheme, and then some idiot decided ruin him and throw it out the window for white, red, and a different shade of green for some reason

Dec 31, 2018
They had a good thing going with Chespin and Quilladin and their brown/green/orange color scheme, and then some idiot decided ruin him and throw it out the window for white, red, and a different shade of green for some reason
I guess I understand that. I don't like when starters change into something totally different looking. (Cough) Samurott (cough cough).

Do you think it would have had a better reaction if it's shiny color was its default?

May 22, 2018
I guess I understand that. I don't like when starters change into something totally different looking. (Cough) Samurott (cough cough).

Do you think it would have had a better reaction if it's shiny color was its default?
I'd like him slightly more, but I really loved Chespin's design, so Chesnaught's color scheme would need to be 1:1 with his pre-evolutions for me to like him more to a significant degree.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for clarifying. I want to get back into the anime but I don’t like Alola Anime arc and I’m waiting for the League to start for Ash.
Don't get me wrong, its still probably the most wtf animation in the show, particularly out of context. Im guessing its edited in the dub like how they removed Meowth "dying" scenes.