• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Ill be playing this but clearly I am far more excited about a Lets Go sequel at this point

But thats me being wishful that the Next Lets Go actually continues to experiment with new ideas instead of just being Lets Go part 2

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I was in the mood for a chameleon starter. Sobble kinda has some elements like the feet and the rolled up tail.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I've never gotten the fascination with Pokémon following the character. It's fine, I guess. But I forget about them and ignore them in minutes.

The only times in Let's Go I ever noticed them is where they got too far away and had to zap to my character, which was odd.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
I actually didn't mind the starters. As someone who hasn't played the series since i played silver a long time ago, i was not impressed at all. I still think actual fans of the series will get a great game and it at least looks more interesting than usual.

Nov 2, 2017
Maybe the evos will change them enough, but these are the worst first stage starters ever. I didnt like the final evos last gen, but Rowlett and Litten were cute. I dislike all three of these

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I thought it looked quite nice graphically, honestly.
Overall, It's not the huge step we were all hoping for, but I'm excited.
Seeing as I was one of the apparently few people that actually liked sun and moon.

Still, GF has a ton of time left to disappoint me.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It looks good, the big thing for me is whether there have been improvements to the game structure. Sun and Moon went too far in guiding the player. The cutscenes and gated off areas made me feel fenced in and it didn't feel like a real adventure. I really hope this is a bit less rigid.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Looks incredibly dated compared to other titles on the platform. That comparison shot earlier on in the thread against Odyssey is stark.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Oh, goodie. We are back to the negativity and divided opinions.

I'm glad. I missed it honestly. It's good to see some things will never change.

I'll probably get the game. But I have to know more to make my decision. Same with the starters. They didn't manage to catch me right away, but that has happened ever since gen 4 so I'm no stranger to that.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
The biggest improvement I've seen is making the big city the final area. Makes sense to place it there for post-game purposes.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Bummed at random encounters returning and no follower Pokémon. Still, if that means we get a good frame rate, I'm ok with it. Torn between Grookey and Scornbunny.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Plz tell me I'm looking at this map wrong and it's not such a simple "go up" to progress
JRPEU.png

I wouldn't worry too much tbh.

Nov 1, 2017
Eh... it looks okay. I need to see more. The lack of Kanto Pokemon (besides Pikachu, obv.) in the trailer made me smile.

Still behind modern JRPGs visually, but at least it's way better than Let's Go.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
You wanted your traditional Pokémon back?

Well, you got it!... But without the valuable things that Let's Go brought to the formula.

I'm starting to fear that we might see Let's Go better in retrospective because Game Freak decided to listen to the most vocal fans.

Hell, when Dragon Quest of all JRPGs decides to drop random encounters then no other franchise has the right to keep them.

Thank god they went back to traditional style. Let's Go will never be better.

We dont know the full mechanics of the game yet anyways and their may be options. Overworld pokemon may be added too. At least for me, the game looks promising in that its not a copy of Let's Go at all.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
From the top down, it looks like Scotland, northern England, and the midlands. Just based on the shape of the landmass.

It's not specifically just England, and it's not the whole UK. Wales and NI aren't really there.
And for some reason London is in the north and on top of a snowy mountain. You can see Big Ben and the London eye

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon like some sports games, works best if you skip a few games if the gameplay loop doesn't do it for you anymore.

that way an small updates are actually impactful to you.

so if you are burnt out...then skip this one and by the next one, you should be re-energized. People who skipped S/M will probably havbe a grand time w/ this one.

For me, new pokemon for teambuilding is all I need.

JTyrmi

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
The water Pokemon looks cool, Mudkip was my favorite in Ruby, so it's a no brainer for me to go with that water lizard thingie. Hopefully this game will be good, but you can tell the game is far from finished, so I'm a bit worried about the late 2019 release date.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
This reveal just makes me more excited to see what Game Freak can do with Gen 9 (as proven with BW and SM)
Just give me my damn dolphin
Grookey doesn't look too bad, but I think Sobble looks boring, Scorbunny is gonna be the most popular starter since Snivy and the Sinnoh trio

V-Faction

Oct 25, 2017
I have never played a Pokemon game and thought it looked interesting in the trailer, and pretty good as well. But reading this topic and learning that apparently, the world is not "fully" really open, in the sense that you more or less follow a set path rather than freely roaming the environment, has really cooled me down. I guess I won't play Pokemon this gen, after all. I hope the fans will like it though.
If you've never played a Pokemon game before, that's not really an exuse to turn down playing it. Pokemon games are amazing adventures that any gamer wortht their salt should play at least once. Doesn't matter which version (in fact, the newest ones tend to be the best).

The reason for the mild uproar from fans in the thread is simply because they've done this song n' dance many times before. So they were hoping for something different... for the sake of being different. For you, who has never played these kinds of games, this has no bearing.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I'm....kinda torn.

On one hand it undeniably looks better than SuMo, but at the same time, compared to other notable Nintendo franchises, it doesn't look THAT much better - at least, in a way that immediately draws the player's eye to.

And while I did hear Ohmori say they want to try new things, literally nothing in what they showed looked new, or hell, even inspired.

I'm holding out hope for cool older-game features to make a kick back in, but when for whatever reason you refuse to even put in stuff like your 1st pokemon following you on the overworld, or having the routes looks like a straight shot, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Nor do the starters - Scorbunny is probably what I'll roll with, but nothing in them screams new or interesting to me.

Dunno if I got caught up in the 'BOTW of pokemon' hype a little, but this isn't really sucking me in - especially with the delay.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
It looks like what it was reasonable to expect from a gamefreak Pokemon game.
The negativity is here as always with people expecting irrationnal things.

The map seems really small though.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
but, one is a game made internally by Nintendo, the other one is a game made by Gamefreak (and is only made by em not for their pedigree but cause of iirc by contract all main games are locked to em) so yes. people expecting BOTW tier were just setting emselves up for disappointment.

Then Game Freak has to go. Sorry, but Pokemon is huge enough that tolerating these constant half measures just won't fly anymore.

But hey it's gonna sell 10 million copies regardless of what form it takes

Last edited:

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
The game doesn't look like it taxes the Switch hardware but the "it looks like a 3DS game" posts are hella embarrassing