• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
how

I don't remember doing anything else besides doing the E4 non-stop

I know, but still feels lacking. No stakes involved and all. Honestly, I grew up watching anime and always the coolest thing to me was the "group of villains that the protagonist needs to beat" and the gym leaders are that in Pokémon, so it always was one of my favorite aspects of the franchise and replacing them with generic monsters was boring to me, lol.

Never liked stuff like Battle Tower until Emerald added fixed leaders to facilities. Even the poor Battle Maison was better than stuff like Battle Tree to me just because it had a group of actual fixed "boss" characters (the chatelaine).
If Totem battles were exactly the same, except they were owned and used by the Trial Captains (like "Trial Captain Mallow wants to fight!" and "Trial Captain Mallow sent out Totem Lurantis!"), would that have made them better to you?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand how anybody can say that. It's the gym leader that used the same generic pokemon, just a couple levels higher than the standard at that point.

Totems meanwhile were unique because of it's giant size, it's stat-raising aura, and the ability to call companion pokemon at will. It feels much more unique. Actually strategy is used ny them to battle, as I said in previous post.

Pokemon battles depth is largely from the team aspect. A good gym leader would make full use of this while a totem is just a stronger wild pokemon with SoS on overdrive. Lurantis was the first one to give me trouble, so I leveled up a fire type bird and that made it fairly easy *shrug*
It was still harder than most Gym battles, but that's because they're not using them to their full extent and the balance is wack.

Because gym leaders are actual characters with cool designs, personalities, background, partner Pokémon just like my character, etc. They're cool. A big Raticate? That's not cool. It's just a wild monster.

When I see at fanart like this I remember my fight with these characters and how cool and unique they are and how much they add to Pokémon, both in the games and other media (anime, manga, etc):

gymleaders.jpg

When I see a big Raticate I don't feel anything.

--

Also, personally I had no trouble at all with any totem in my SM playthrough. Maybe it was just me, but it felt as easy as the usual gym leader, but with fights sometimes lasting even less because you just need to defeat one monster.

Not saying the gym battles are balanced, but they are more memorable to me and sometimes there are like 1 or 2 per game that have some difficulty or at least a funny gimmick . I had a hard time with Viola in XY, for example (that was the only hard one tho lol) and Norman has the whole Protect/Detect tutorial thing in his fight in RSE.

That too

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah, Totem Battles are far superior in terms of emotion to gym leaders. That and things like Lusamine are the right direction.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I like the trial captains, but never liked how we couldn't fight them like the usual gym leader. We had Kahunas and all, but only having 4 was kinda meh.

I hope they just keep gym leaders and give them actual fun strategies or unique challenges.
We know that gyms are back and I'm expecting them to change it up and add more to each one.

Jan 9, 2018
I really want Totems back as some story-related boss monsters because it's an easy change of pace for the game, it's not a massive change in battle style or anything but it does require you to battle differently than usual. But I'm glad we're going back to Gyms, nothing really compares imo. The Trial Captains were okay, but it just wasn't the same. Going into their territory, taking on their underlings and solving cute little puzzles, and then taking the Gym Leader on is just a lot more memorable to me to than the Trials. The Kahunas were cool, tho.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
how

I don't remember doing anything else besides doing the E4 non-stop

I know, but still feels lacking. No stakes involved and all. Honestly, I grew up watching anime and always the coolest thing to me was the "group of villains that the protagonist needs to beat" and the gym leaders are that in Pokémon, so it always was one of my favorite aspects of the franchise and replacing them with generic monsters was boring to me, lol.

Never liked stuff like Battle Tower until Emerald added fixed leaders to facilities. Even the poor Battle Maison was better than stuff like Battle Tree to me just because it had a group of actual fixed "boss" characters (the chatelaine).
I'm actually in the middle of an HG playthrough and there's literally no way to feasibly grind for the E4 except for losing repeatedly... to the E4.

HGSS are still my favorite entries in the series even in spite of its faults, but that level curve is suuuuuuuuper fucked.

In HGSS you can rematch the gym leaders. However, in order to do so, you have to find them on a VERY SPECIFIC DAY, AT A VERY SPECIFIC TIME, IN A VERY SPECIFIC LOCATION, and then they will fuck off to a gym that houses them all in. I believe it was the dojo. They will stay in this area until you beat them. You are given their phone numbers from them or in Chucks case, his wife. So when you need to rematch, you need to CALL THEM in order schedule a rematch on a VERY SPECIFIC DAY.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And run the risk of being shot, charged, bit, chased, or land in who knows what. So perfect real life example of linear paths?
so GTA is now a linear game? :P

Yeah, Totem Battles are far superior in terms of emotion to gym leaders. That and things like Lusamine are the right direction.
I will never not be pissed off at Mother Beast Lusamine. BW2 and Totems felt like a build up to that moment and they just wasted it

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Totem battles were exactly the same, except they were owned and used by the Trial Captains (like "Trial Captain Mallow wants to fight!" and "Trial Captain Mallow sent out Totem Lurantis!"), would that have made them better to you?
Yes. lol This kind of stuff is more about story/presentation to me.

Not sure if others agree with me considering how almost no one else seems to remember them, but I really like the Chatelaine in XY because they had personalities, unique designs, Vs Screens and even battled in different rulesets... but they failed because they had no unique battle theme to them.

I look at them and think "wow, they're great!"

hqdefault.jpg

But then the battle starts with a generic trainer theme instead of a new unique track, something that made the Frontier Brains much more special.

So yeah, I'm not sure other people feel the same way (like I said, I personally love the enemy group "anime" trope), but presentation and personality matter a LOT to me in Pokémon. I want unique characters with unique battle themes, etc. It makes the battles and the game more memorable. The BW series was basically perfect in this, we had in the same gen gym leaders with unique gym themes, them existing outside their gyms, some backstory and bits where we see their personalities, great designs with a lot of variety, the Last Pokémon theme, etc.

In HGSS you can rematch the gym leaders. However, in order to do so, you have to find them on a VERY SPECIFIC DAY, AT A VERY SPECIFIC TIME, IN A VERY SPECIFIC LOCATION, and then they will fuck off to a gym that houses them all in. I believe it was the dojo. They will stay in this area until you beat them. You are given their phone numbers from them or in Chucks case, his wife. So when you need to rematch, you need to CALL THEM in order schedule a rematch on a VERY SPECIFIC DAY.
Ah ok, I basically don't even consider that because of how convoluted it is. I did the rematches, but never considered a good way to grind.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Totem have some amazingly cool movesets that make them fun, Look at Totem Lurantis for example.

44WSYTE.png

Turn 1 it's going to through a Power Herb'd Solar Blade at you, then it'll summon a Kecleon or a Comfey that will help set up the Sun, which prevents you from hitting it with status, allow it to continue with 1 turn Solar Blades, and Power up it's heal with Synthesis. The Comfey will provide Defence Boosts and Additional Healing, whilst the Kecleon will lower your defences and snipe down Fire and Flyring type pokemon with Ancient Power. It's a pretty powerful set that shows you the weather advantages you can get with a proper team setup...

...But I also have to mention the Firium-Z in the move, because you get the Firium-Z justs before Lurantis, and if you have a decent fire type, you basically will one shot the Lurantis before it really get's to go crazy with the move, and Lurantis has a moveset of 3 moves that all do 0.25 damage to the most common fire type pokemon you will find at Wela Volcano if you needed to pick one up (Fletchinder and Salandit). There's a good chance most players will Firium-Z for the win before even seeing the Kecleon with Ancient Power.

It leaves me mixed on the fight, on a moveset level, it's very creative (Compared to say, Ramos of Kalos or... Let's Go Erika, eww...) but due to the overpowered Z-Move mechanic, many probably don't even get to see most of the fight.

...But then again, a lot of gym leaders in the past tend to be like that anyway. Overlevel enough and you can one-shot their whole teams.

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
one thing that i want is to make some things like evolutions, a bit more simplifiqued and diverse them, like eevee should evolve with a leaf stone for leafon, a moon stone for umbreon, and to espeon with sun stone, etc. eevee would still evolve with the old methods for a nod to old players, but for new players is a good option that makes sense, because is really frustrating that some evolutions can't use old items that make perfect sense to evolve them because the pokemon didn't exist in a previous generation, like why eevee can't evolve to leafon with a leaf stone, but he/she can evolve to jolteon, vaporeon, and flareon with their respective stone, aside from that in red/blue there wasn't a grass evolution to eevee, like is really stupid and makes worldbuilding cheap and false.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
one thing that i want is to make some things like evolutions, a bit more simplifiqued and diverse them, like eevee should evolve with a leaf stone for leafon, a moon stone for umbreon, and to espeon with sun stone, etc. eevee would still evolve with the old methods for a nod to old players, but for new players is a good option that makes sense, because is really frustrating that some evolutions can't use old items that make perfect sense to evolve them because the pokemon didn't exist in a previous generation, like why eevee can't evolve to leafon with a leaf stone, but he/she can evolve to jolteon, vaporeon, and flareon with their respective stone, aside from that in red/blue there wasn't a grass evolution to eevee, like is really stupid and makes worldbuilding cheap and false.

Cosigned

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I feel like they'll be changing more evolution methods, like they did with Milotic (became a trade evolution instead of beauty stat). Though if we're seeing Sinnoh remakes this gen they might keep the evolution methods for Glaceon and Leafeon to preserve their 'Sinnoh-ness' and because the ice and moss rock will most likely be in the remakes.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they'll be changing more evolution methods, like they did with Milotic (became a trade evolution instead of beauty stat). Though if we're seeing Sinnoh remakes this gen they might keep the evolution methods for Glaceon and Leafeon to preserve their 'Sinnoh-ness' and because the ice and moss rock will most likely be in the remakes.

Well it's not so much change evolutions because the method of evolution isn't there anymore in Milotic's scenario.

More like offer an alternative route for evolution... especially for trade evolutions.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...But I also have to mention the Firium-Z in the move, because you get the Firium-Z justs before Lurantis, and if you have a decent fire type, you basically will one shot the Lurantis before it really get's to go crazy with the move, and Lurantis has a moveset of 3 moves that all do 0.25 damage to the most common fire type pokemon you will find at Wela Volcano if you needed to pick one up (Fletchinder and Salandit). There's a good chance most players will Firium-Z for the win before even seeing the Kecleon with Ancient Power.
You can get a Salandit/Salazzle just before this part as well. I didn't even see Lurantis doing anything.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Yes. lol This kind of stuff is more about story/presentation to me.
Fair enough!

Ah ok, I basically don't even consider that because of how convoluted it is. I did the rematches, but never considered a good way to grind.
X/Y's Battle Chateau was a much better implemented version of HG/SS' dojo. There's always at least a few high level trainers to battle, with the occasional gym leader (and I think even E4 member?) there to add some nice mix up. Made better for grinding (whether exp or money) by O-Powers too.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Feebas was only given an alternate method to evolve because contests stats couldn't be altered in Gen 5. I think you could still evolve it both ways if its stat was high enough.

But GF still wanting consistency to explain future evos/prevos is dumb as it's led to things like Leafeon/Glaceon and Magnezone/Probopass being unobtainable in HGSS (still unsure if this was an oversight or not) . Lickitung could already learn Rollout in Gen 2 so it isn't even completely consistent.

If Espeon and Umbreon were stone evos, Slyveon would have more than likely been a friendship evolution instead of the weird Amie + Fairy move requirement.

Would anyone really care at this point if Baby Pokemon didn't require the appropriate incense to obtain them.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Because gym leaders are actual characters with cool designs, personalities, background, partner Pokémon just like my character, etc. They're cool. A big Raticate? That's not cool. It's just a wild monster.

When I see at fanart like this I remember my fight with these characters and how cool and unique they are and how much they add to Pokémon, both in the games and other media (anime, manga, etc):

gymleaders.jpg

When I see a big Raticate I don't feel anything.

--

Also, personally I had no trouble at all with any totem in my SM playthrough. Maybe it was just me, but it felt as easy as the usual gym leader, but with fights sometimes lasting even less because you just need to defeat one monster.

Not saying the gym battles are balanced, but they are more memorable to me and sometimes there are like 1 or 2 per game that have some difficulty or at least a funny gimmick . I had a hard time with Viola in XY, for example (that was the only hard one tho lol) and Norman has the whole Protect/Detect tutorial thing in his fight in RSE.
You would have a point.... if gym leaders werent just cardboard cutouts with mostly no personality (with the exception of 5th gen).
There's an abundance of fletchling before Viola's gym that makes the battle stupidly easy with the 4x bug resist.
During battle the gym leader comes on screen a grand total of two times to say a line. It was just you fighting pokemon that was just a bit overleveled than usual.

With Totems, it felt like shit was about to go down.

tumblr_ozjbesHL6n1rmkcado6_500.gif

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one of the reasons I like the trial captains more than a lot of the gym leaders is because they actually exist in their world beyond the gym. Gen 5 was teh start of that, and Gen 6 dropped that ball. Gen 7 picked it up immensely at least. Acerola was a break out character because of it. and watching Hapu go from being a curious country bumpkin to kahuna was great to see. as well as Acerola's reasoning for being an Elite 4 member.

and speaking of E4, it's funny to see the gym leaders being praised, but for the same method for their existence, Kahili is derided in Gen 7

and on the topic of the route 1s, I hope that area with the lakes is more akin to Pondry Hills in Monster Hunter Stories instead of some segmented area with no exploration.

Pondry Hills is right outside the starting town, so it serves as an awe inspiring reveal of the world. pokemon could really use a similar effect
latest

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Would anyone really care at this point if Baby Pokemon didn't require the appropriate incense to obtain them.
If they do away with that, then they should also do away with babies being unable to breed. Getting rid of incenses would just make most of those Pokemon more annoying to IV/egg move breed since you'd then have to evolve each one before you can move on to the next step of the breeding process.

But that also coincides with another frustration I have with babies. I really think they should do away with the happiness requirement most of them have for evolving. There's no reason why that Azurill or Pichu you catch on Route 3 should take until level 20-something of casual play to evolve into a basic Marill or Pikachu. Vary it by baby of course, but just let my Pichu or Azurill evolve at level 10, my Budew at level 16, my Chingling and level 22, etc...

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Unpopular opinion: I don't care a lot about most human characters. I honestly think maybe having a game with Mystery Dungeon style story, but keeping the battle system as it is mainline games would be better than having trainers.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Totem have some amazingly cool movesets that make them fun, Look at Totem Lurantis for example.

44WSYTE.png

Turn 1 it's going to through a Power Herb'd Solar Blade at you, then it'll summon a Kecleon or a Comfey that will help set up the Sun, which prevents you from hitting it with status, allow it to continue with 1 turn Solar Blades, and Power up it's heal with Synthesis. The Comfey will provide Defence Boosts and Additional Healing, whilst the Kecleon will lower your defences and snipe down Fire and Flyring type pokemon with Ancient Power. It's a pretty powerful set that shows you the weather advantages you can get with a proper team setup...

It leaves me mixed on the fight, on a moveset level, it's very creative (Compared to say, Ramos of Kalos or... Let's Go Erika, eww...) but due to the overpowered Z-Move mechanic, many probably don't even get to see most of the fight.

...But then again, a lot of gym leaders in the past tend to be like that anyway. Overlevel enough and you can one-shot their whole teams.
Yeah when I played Sun version I had the Firium-Z on my Torracat, so I was able to OHKO it before it could do anything. But in Ultra Moon I didn't have any fire in my party and once this thing got one turn of set up it freakin demolished me lol

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I also felt the Totems were challenging, at least as far as Pokemon goes. They had an opprotunity to make Totem Vikavolt even harder but they seemingly shied away from that

I'd like to see them return in some form, maybe as overworld bosses?

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I think the only way I would be interested in an open world Pokémon would be if it were one big city and each neighborhood had its own gym or something like that. It's the only way it could have a convincing scale of something like the real world (which is precisely the setting of Pokémon, a world with televisions, cars and so on)

For me it would just have to be a whole new game. Some kind of Mystery Dungeon / PokéPark where you're controlling a Pokémon, so it makes more sense to have this adventure-like gameplay in an open world.

The main games as they are right now, I think it just doesn't make sense to have such a complex and developed overworld, when that's not the point of the game, the main thing here is collecting all the Pokémon and battling.

If any, the only thing I'd add / change, would be more npc's to fight. I don't know how complicated it would be, but it'd be nice if you could rely on something else besides wild Pokémon to gain experience after you beat the league, and something different than these facilities like the restaurant in Pokémon X/Y or that sports place in Unova. That you could rebattle the npc's on every route, but that they were actually getting stronger / changing up their teams each time you battle them. At the very least that you could rebattle them every day or every time you defeat the league.

Another thing I've said before, it's the gyms. I don't know what purpose these stadiums-like places are gonna have, and from now on it's almost safe to say that on each new generation they're gonna keep replacing the gyms with a new kind of mechanic each time, but I think gym leaders should be back, the difference being that every day they would be visited by new, different trainers that you could battle against, including the gym leader. With the same characteristics I said: stronger, different teams each time. Of course they would have to have a limit of "variations" programmed, but you should have to battle them many times before they reach their "strongest" form.

If you think about Pokémon games in general, I see that there are many "resources", call them npc's, gyms, gym leaders, all those buildings you visit, all the tall grass patches especially from the first routes, that are simply wasted after you visit them once, or interact with them once. After you finish the game you either just spend the rest of the time using the online functionalities, or the Battle Tower equivalent of the game, or the league, or battling wild Pokémon only from the last routes with the strongest Pokémon so they give you more experience, and it's kinda sad. I think they should give an alternative purpose to all these things for the post-game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I also felt the Totems were challenging, at least as far as Pokemon goes. They had an opprotunity to make Totem Vikavolt even harder but they seemingly shied away from that

I'd like to see them return in some form, maybe as overworld bosses?
having totem bosses on the field would be a good "meet us halfway" for not having pokemon on the field. kinda like Xenoblade's unique monsters

Feb 24, 2018
Fan request

I would like to see companions being a thing in either Sword or Shield (very unlikely) or a later game and to be something like an expansion of the Star Trainers of Gen 4.
How I would see is that you meet each of the six (speed, attack, special attack, defense, special defense and HP) in area of the map and you can optionally help them in their task and after that, have the option to have them tag along with you and partake in double and triple battles, get you items and optional story content depending on who is tagging along with you, how much you've talked to them and how long you've known them.

Max is two at a time. Is that too much?

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
Regular legendaries, ON AN OPEN FIELD.

Anyway, totems seem super-cool but I don't like how apparently Sun and Moon only have four gym leader stand-ins as a result? The Big Kakunas?

So maybe for Sword and Shield they can include totems out in the wilds, like at the center of some woods or a dead end on a mountain trail. And as for legendaries, they'd be harder to find — secret caves and whatnot like usual.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Regular legendaries, ON AN OPEN FIELD.

Anyway, totems seem super-cool but I don't like how apparently Sun and Moon only have four gym leader stand-ins as a result? The Big Kakunas?

So maybe for Sword and Shield they can include totems out in the wilds, like at the center of some woods or a dead end on a mountain trail. And as for legendaries, they'd be harder to find — secret caves and whatnot like usual.

The thing is, if that ever happened, they wouldn't even be called Totems, because that's just so Alolan / Hawaiian. They would have to come up with yet another term/category, and we go back to the same issue of always: they keep creating stuff that is just so tied to one region or one game that just can't keep on evolving or increasing in future generations. We don't even know if Totem Pokémon are gonna be transferable to SS.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, if that ever happened, they wouldn't even be called Totems, because that's just so Alolan / Hawaiian. They would have to come up with yet another term/category, and we go back to the same issue of always: they keep creating stuff that is just so tied to one region or one game that just can't keep on evolving or increasing in future generations. We don't even know if Totem Pokémon are gonna be transferable to SS.
They brought back totems in Let's Go, they just never had a name and weren't super-sized. I don't see any reason totems can't be transferred. They're tournament legal, so I think it's just a built-in scaling attribute

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
They brought back totems in Let's Go, they just never had a name and weren't super-sized. I don't see any reason totems can't be transferred. They're tournament legal, so I think it's just a built-in scaling attribute

I don't know what you're calling totems in Let's Go, the Master Trainers? Or battleable Pokémon like Snorlax, Electrode, etc? Anyways, if they're not super-sized nor called totems, then they're definitely not Totem Pokémon.

Also Totem Pokémon were tied to Trials. So even though it's probable they bring some sort of trial for SS, it's most likely going to be something totally different.

just call them boss pokémon, done.

And that could be a thing, or the names Captain Harlock suggested, but I go back to my comment, they'll always end up coming up with new, "original" things on every generation, that are just gonna be scrapped/replaced by something else the next generation. And if they DO choose a new term, they'll most likely make them different from Totem Pokémon in some way, thus creating a whole new category rather than expanding the already existing.

I can't think of an example where they've named differently the same feature. Even Pokémon Amie / Pokémon Refresh have differences. Maybe Primal Reversion could be considered a type of Mega Evolution, but technically they're supposed to be different things.

I mean, I'm not against the idea of Totem Pokémon or similar, I just doubt they'll recycle the same concept from the previous generation, or that they'll even bring it back; they'll always find a way to tweak a concept to create something new and forget about the previous one.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what you're calling totems in Let's Go, the Master Trainers? Or battleable Pokémon like Snorlax, Electrode, etc? Anyways, if they're not super-sized nor called totems, then they're definitely not Totem Pokémon.

Also Totem Pokémon were tied to Trials. So even though it's probable they bring some sort of trial for SS, it's most likely going to be something totally different.
there are no battleable electrodes, that's in Johto. and while they're not totems, they have the same effect, minus the assist pokemon and the size. the stat boosting effect being in LG, at least, tells me they might keep the effect for SS

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
there are no battleable electrodes, that's in Johto. and while they're not totems, they have the same effect, minus the assist pokemon and the size. the stat boosting effect being in LG, at least, tells me they might keep the effect for SS
There are "boss" Electrodes in Let's Go, in the Power Plant.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The main point of the Totems was the SOS partners if you ask me, and not really the stat boost.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
I hope they don't reveal the final starter evolutions before launch this time like they did with Sun and Moon. Am I right in thinking that that was the first time they'd done that since Gen 3?

Serebii do you know if the leaks influenced the decision to show off the Gen VII starter evolutions, or if they were probably always going to do that?