• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Let's Go got a pretty substantial lighting upgrade in the months leading up to release. I imagine these games will get the same polish ahead of "Late 2019."

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Please, for the love of all that is holy, have better pacing and writing than Sun and Moon.

Please. It's all I ask.

Please.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Calling it now, these games will be like a new Diamond/Pearl. Nothing major in terms of changes, just the same old formula polished to pitch perfection with great Pokémon, great region and dungeons, and a great post game.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
but, one is a game made internally by Nintendo, the other one is a game made by Gamefreak (and is only made by em not for their pedigree but cause of iirc by contract all main games are locked to em) so yes. people expecting BOTW tier were just setting emselves up for disappointment.

That's an absolutely rubbish excuse.

It's not about expecting BOTW tier (and even then BOTW is hardly some sacred gold standard in 2019), it's about a HD game in 2019 looking like it's come from several generations ago.

This console can do some impressive things, I mean just look at XC2, developed by a third party first party (I was wrong, but point stands regarding Switch can do so much more than what we're seeing here).

xc2_10.jpg

Last edited:

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Not feeling the grass starter this gen, both the Fire and water starters look really good but I'm going to have to wait till we see the final evolutions till I make my choice

Jan 9, 2018
You all are crazy for being down on this, it looked fucking amazing.
-Galar looks to be full of small towns and very largr cities.
-Gyms are now Football Stadiums, WHAT.
-The opening area and routes look to be super dense Poni Fields, this is an excellent upgrade.
-Lots of Caves and the steampunk vibe with the trains is giving me chills.
-Where's Ireland?!
-I feel like Kalos is a given with how similar this region feels.
-Those starters need some getting used to, but way better than Gen 6 or 7 initial impressions.
-Fucking Football stadium gyms, I am seriously hype about this aspect.
Yup, the Gyms looks pretty incredible. I'm hoping they're using inspiration from Alola and the trials to make them feel fresh. And the region itself looks promising and fun to explore.

So far tho, most of the complaints are from people expecting "BotW Pokémon" and asking for more Let's Go stuff so... (there are a lot of genuine complaints too, it's just that these are the only people who are so down right now).

Oct 26, 2017
The game obviously looks much worse than Odyssey and Mario+Rabbids but looks better than Let's Go and Three Houses so ehhhhh.

The graphics are good enough. Obviously wish they were less jagged and low res, but the art and lighting are good.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What more information do I need?

There's no shitty chibi artstyle
Protagonists arent little kids
No shitty overworld pokemon clogging the environment
Random encounters are back
Regular ass battling and capturing
Pokémon from throughout the series are there and not just Kanto mons
Game looks visually great
We get to climb snowy mountains like Sinnoh again with winter gear
The starters are awesome
Gyms are in goddamn stadiums

Nothing foolish here

How do you know that regular ass battling and capturing are back? They didn't even show the screen. IVs, EVs, moves, abilities, items, there's too many stuff still unknown. All your other points are fluff, I'm talking mechanics here.

The only thing that might happen since they showed in this video is random battles and no pokemon on the overworld.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Its really not. It's a bad design choice that they finally improved on last year then fell back to because nostalgia.

Having wild battles where you know what they are beforehand defeats the entire point of having it be a battle at all, because it massively shifts it in the players favour and effectively makes it pointless.

That's why they were fine with removing the in let's go (the battles were gone) and why random encounters are back now (the battles are back too).

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
The whole "POKEMON SPORTS" they hinted at does sound awesome. I'd love to play PKMN Soccer"

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
Very conservative/traditional looking, but I'm in. And one of the starters is a grass type chimp? Even better.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Edit. Watching a second time kinda put my hype down quite a bit tbh. I thought there was a lot more freedom then it seems now.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay besides the fact that's hardly a big upgrade, let's consider the 3DS hardware.

And then consider the Switch hardware.

And then consider we already have this:

Super-Mario-Odyssey-screenshots-gallery-08-11-2017-22.jpg

and then you see this for what is arguably an equally successful and big franchise:

OVGiHla.jpg

And finally consider how many assets GameFreak already have pre-made for this game for years.

That's gonna be a yikes from me, chief.
"Yikes" is the implication that every game out there has to be a Super Mario Odyssey budgeted title.

And don't give me that "Pokémon is a massive franchise" shit. Most of the big franchises out there today like Fortnite are hardly franchises that push fidelity. Part of the reason Switch exists in the first place and Nintendo merged development divisions was never to suddenly bump up every single game to Zelda or Odyssey levels.

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
Roaming mons would be an absolute nightmare for the devs to put 7 generations of Pokemon in the overworld. Be realistic.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They need to get Pokémon away from GameFreak. They are worse than Yuke's. One man indie development teams can make more interesting worlds than this
Game Freak owns a sizable chunk of the franchise (over 30%, if I recall correctly, which is around what Nintendo & Creatures each have), that's not gonna happen.