• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Pokémon Sword and Shield announced. Coming Late 2019

Which starter will you choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 25, 2017
Tbf about the random encounters, LGPE had the benefit of dealing with 150 models, whereas this game is going to have to accommodate for 800+ in some capacity, so whilst on screen encounters wouldn't have been an impossible task, it'd have been a major undertaking.

Oct 27, 2017
Thank god they went back to traditional style. Let's Go will never be better.

We dont know the full mechanics of the game yet anyways and their may be options. Overworld pokemon may be added too. At least for me, the game looks promising in that its not a copy of Let's Go at all.
Looks even worse, like and HD copy of XY. What’s promising about this? Lmao.

Nov 5, 2017
That's an absolutely rubbish excuse.

It's an about expecting BOTW tier (and even then BOTW is hardly some sacred gold standard in 2019), it's about a HD game in 2019 looking like it's come from several generations ago.

This console can do some impressive things, I mean just look at XC2, developed by a third party.

Monolith is a Nintendo studio

Oct 26, 2017

It's an about expecting BOTW tier (and even then BOTW is hardly some sacred gold standard in 2019), it's about a HD game in 2019 looking like it's come from several generations ago.

This console can do some impressive things, I mean just look at XC2, developed by a third party.

Monolith Soft is 1st party

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
So I have a legitimate question for everyone that likes random encounters. Why? What do they legitimately add to the game that Pokemon you see in the wild would not add? Because from where I'm sitting, it seems to just pad play time.

Oct 26, 2017

Monolith is first party

Oct 27, 2017

Monolithsoft is first party studio.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
oh my god

Talk about bad faith arguements

You realize good ideas can be iterated and molded to make something NEW and BETTER right?

Avoiding Encounters and having pokemon on field is a good thing! Want to add some challenge? Add aggressive pokemon that chase you, ambush pokemon, force player to prep a dungeon with various tools and repel.

DO SOMETHING NEW instead of having Dragon Quest style random battle grinding for hours for 10 generations
So you think it's better to have to run away in a direction you might not even want to go to from an agressive pokemon than just kill the thing or run away like you used to in any other game so far and just continue to go in the direction you want to? I love that in these arguments people always seem to forget repel exists, too. How are ambuhsing pokemon better than random encounters? You already force people to prep for a dungeon with repel and the likes. Not sure what the difference would be.

Oct 27, 2017
Having wild battles where you know what they are beforehand defeats the entire point of having it be a battle at all, because it massively shifts it in the players favour and effectively makes it pointless.

That's why they were fine with removing the in let's go (the battles were gone) and why random encounters are back now (the battles are back too).
Wild battles have been a non-challenge for generations with no signs of that changing. Keeping them random just makes them a pain in the arse.

Oct 25, 2017
So, we've got a couple trilithons:

Though it doesn't look like a full discount Stonehenge. Then again, even if there is one, I don't expect to actually see the henge part (because that's not the stones)

Love the chalk figure though, very nice

Betting we get a bunch of ancient/centuries old legendaries

Nov 22, 2017
Well, based on what we've seen so far, the "spin-off" remake of the first gen game seems head and shoulders above the new mainline entry as far as new ideas are concerned. Should have expected this after the aggressively boring Ultra Moon. Series is showing some deep wrinkles, but I'm sure it'll continue to do great commercially.

Apr 24, 2018
It certainly doesn’t look bad, by all means, but the graphics quality looks like something a smaller A or AA Japanese developer could most likely achieve on the switch, like the Atelier or Rune Factory series, etc. I guess, I just expected more from a company that has the kind of revenue that Pokemon generates?

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, what is with the complaints about random battles? Is it just old/washed-up fans who returned to the series with Let's Go or something? People who have actually been playing these games for decades consider the random encounters to be a core mechanic.
Nice 'Us real fans' rhetoric man. I've played all the damn games, random encounters are still a super dated mechanic that RPGs have forgone for a long long time for good reason. Let's Go was much better paced, had more alive looking areas, and significantly less frustration because it let you see the pokemon in the overworld.

I'm so tired of people going 'But this has always been a thing tho!'. Change can be good, very good in this case. There is literally no real downside to roaming pokemon, and whole ton of upsides. This is the shit that made my jaded self genuinely smile when I saw Let's Go and a gigantic Onix popped up in a cave, it was so fucking cool. It was exactly the shit I wanted since I was a kid.

Jan 16, 2019
User warned: "Lazy devs" rhetoric.

Yep, pretty much. There really is no excuse anymore. The bottom line is GF and Nintendo are being lazy and indifferent to the quality of Pokemon games because they know it'll sell gangbusters regardless. Pokemon is Nintendo's FIFA.

Shugga

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The defense force in here lol. This could look much better, "but art style" isn't a valid defense when you have BOTW released 2.5 years earlier on wii U.
Hopefully the framerate isn't OOT tier.

Nov 20, 2018
Super excited for this. I was expecting an overworld similar to the Let's Go games so this is a nice surprise. Gotta say though the starters are currently underwhelming. Especially since Scorbunny looks like its gearing up for fighting type. Again.

Jan 12, 2018
Love it!! The new region looks beautiful and the starters are adorable. (Team Sobble, all the way!) Glad random encounters are back too.

And lol @ anyone expecting a BOTW-styled Pokemon game.

Oct 27, 2017
Having wild battles where you know what they are beforehand defeats the entire point of having it be a battle at all, because it massively shifts it in the players favour and effectively makes it pointless.

That's why they were fine with removing the in let's go (the battles were gone) and why random encounters are back now (the battles are back too).
It’s not hard to design around that. In fact most modern JRPGs do.

Also random encounters are already massively in favour of the player and pointless. Unless you are suggesting this is the first Pokemon game in several generations that has any amount of difficulty in it?

Oct 25, 2017

It's not about expecting BOTW tier (and even then BOTW is hardly some sacred gold standard in 2019), it's about a HD game in 2019 looking like it's come from several generations ago.

Monolith Soft is 1st party though

Oct 28, 2017
I think random battles need to go, but Let's Go was not the way to do it. Shit looked overcrowded and awkward.
That's because they just threw the pokemon on environments still based on old Gameboy tilesets. If they actually designed a region from ground up with them in mind it'd fit much more naturally.

Oct 27, 2017

It's not about expecting BOTW tier (and even then BOTW is hardly some sacred gold standard in 2019), it's about a HD game in 2019 looking like it's come from several generations ago.

XC2 is developed by a first party, and is sub-native resolution. Not that the game looks bad, but you might want to settle your facts before shitposting.
I would also like to add that it's extremely likely that this game started as a 3DS title, or at the very least started with 3DS assets.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Not having Pokemon follows and Pokemon in the over world before battling them is a step back. Change my mind.
Random battles without seeing the Pokémon is fine. They could've added the feature just like, in some especial occasions you can see a Pokémon walking by or something, like the shaking grass from previous games.

No following Pokémon, that's really a bummer.