• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody know where the UK rumor came from?

I think it's obvious there was at least one legit leak about the Gen 8 region and then every fake rumor jumped on the UK bandwagon, but which one was the first?

Pretty sure it was from the Let's Go map graphic that showed an unfamiliar region of land that vaguely looked like the shape of the UK.

It's also where the "Crown and Scepter" rumors came from due to one merchant in the game selling a really expensive Crown.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Does anybody know where the UK rumor came from?

I think it's obvious there was at least one legit leak about the Gen 8 region and then every fake rumor jumped on the UK bandwagon, but which one was the first?
It was conjectured based on this (which actually was unrelated)

gAGztIE.jpg

Then my friend Duncan went on record saying he had heard it was in the UK and made a money bet on it.

So Duncan had it leaked to him at the very least

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Tbh I don't think the UK was that hard to guess. It was pretty likely that they weren't going to do America again after just doing Hawaii and I imagine Europe is one of their bigger markets. The UK is a pretty easy place to make a region out of and has a lot of globally recognisable landmarks to create interesting locations out of. It was between that or Australia in my head before the reveal.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
That's the one arguments I always hated, that later gens are just a straight evolution of Sugimori's style that has along the way abandoned everything that made Pokemon Pokemon. Meanwhile as much as I love Gen 5, this was really the case for only 1 gen, and 6 and 7 have a LOT of Pokemon that woj9look out of place in Kanto or Johto.
Why is that a bad thing?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Why is that a bad thing?
Its not. I'm making a case that a majority of Pokemon in the last 2 gens are the complete opposite of what the diehards are describing, and Pokemon design has never been better. I'd even argue that they have gotten to a point where despitre starting with Gen 1 and being a huge Gen 2 fan, I feel that they are a lot more Pokemon than the earlier ones.

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
Today in wrong opinions: A video talking about how older Pokémon designs (mainly Gen 1) are vastly different from newer ones (mainly Gen 8).

Look I totally love his content, but this was wrong on so many levels, and the guest youtuber was heavily influenced by nostalgic bias.

Not only that, the redesign of scorbunny is bad. It's visually great, but considering we don't know the theme that is followed in his evolutionary line, it's way to early to attempt a redesign.

Should have asked Joe for a collab. But then again: The video would be completely different in that case

This video gets really close to implying "Pokémon don't look like Pokémon anymore" which is a statement that frustrates me quite a bit, but I'll try to give it a less knee jerk response:

First off, not only was that poll unfair to Gen 8 due to not being out yet and Gen 7 due to being paired with Gen 8, it only really shows what his viewers and followers like, rather than the fanbase as a whole. Taking a quick look at his content, he seems to make a lot of Dragonball videos, so people who like Dragonball and grew up when both Dragonball and Pokémon were at their peak popularity were probably a majority of voters, which would explain why votes leaned toward the first three gens. However, since he doesn't really use it as an argument and only uses it as set up for the video, so I won't dwell on it.

That's Tsunekazu Ishihara, this is Satoshi Tajiri (I won't hold it against him):
213px-Satoshi_Tajiri_2016.jpg

Most of the video is about the development of Red and Green, some stuff I knew or had a vague idea of. Sugimori does like adding certain touches to keep Pokémon from being too cute (though no matter how hard I looked, I couldn't see the "distinctly jagged" fur on Pikachu), but the same applies to tough Pokémon too, he would add some touch ups to make it less tough looking.

The Eevee story was pretty adorable.

About the Red and Blue sprites not "posing for the camera", they are all poses. What feelings a pose conveys does matter, but it doesn't change the fact that it was made to do so. You can argue that every frame of animation is just one pose transitioning into another, that's just how it is to show off a characters body language. If he wants poses to be more action oriented or looking off to the side instead of directly at you, then that's fine, but they're still poses. I'll admit that this is really just semantics and nitpicking so it doesn't really bother me, but it does bother me that he uses this as an argument to suggest that the current Sugimori artwork make Pokémon look like toys instead of creatures in a lived in environment and does it by comparing them to the early Sugimori art instead of the sprites. Not only that, it's by picking specific ones to make the point, he uses the Red and Blue sprites of Scyther, Poliwrath, and Goldeen as ones that don't pose for the camera, but before that he uses Mankey and Butterfree as examples of "Pokémon being sketched by a researcher", but they look like their staring at the camera to me. He compares the old Raichu art to the Alolan Raichu, but doesn't bother with comparing old and new Scyther art, which happens to both be in action poses.
Honestly, I probably would've taken this better is he just said "I miss the watercolor artwork" or "I prefer sprites to 3d models" instead of Cherubi picking to make a point, I would at least be able to understand that.

Saying that current artwork look like toys instead of creatures really undermines the amount of effort and thought that Game Freak puts into each Pokémon, Game Freak is not at all giving the cool Pokémon the backseat and it's not like there was much of a strict design philosophy for Gen 1 and 2, it was more about the hardware limitations, the video even points out the differences between the original Red/Green with Blue where Game Freak took the time to change up the sprites to make them look nicer, Game Freak were able to get more creative, so they did. Game Freak always tries new ideas with designs as hardware improves and Sugimori encourages everyone to test what a Pokémon can be.

Why is Weavile in Gen 6?

Too often people suggest that Pokémon are abandoning realistic designs in favor of cartoon-like ones, but that ignores the goofy and cartoon-like designs that existed in the very beginning. He mentions that Morimoto talked about a poll in Game Freak the Exeggcutor won, saying that it doesn't follow the cute is always best school of thought that modern designs have. Well, for one, Exeggcutor is a pretty round and smooth looking design that the video claims the new designs mostly have, also, Morimoto was probably talking about this poll: https://helixchamber.com/2018/08/07/tajiri-manga/

Exeggcutor is in first, but Chansey and Clefairy follow it, so these cute smooth looking designs have been important to Game Freak for quite awhile. Also, I know some of the places are obscure so we don't know the full list, but if Pikachu was as popular as Sugimori said, it's a little strange that it's not in the top 10, so I think this poll might have been before Pikachu was designed. If he wants to imply that Game Freak has a variety of tastes in Pokémon designs that are not just cute, then that's true, but just because they create cute designs doesn't mean they abandon other types of Pokémon.

I honestly don't really get what the deal was with recreating Scorbunny. He tried to make it a mixture of different elements of different Gen 1 Pokémon, he tried to give Scorbunny Meowth's feet and Mankey's arms, but decided that Scorbunny's face shouldn't be flat and he apparently couldn't keep the ears (I assume because he thought they were too smooth). "I decided to step back and start from scratch and study some real rabbits" ...so, like Game Freak does? It honestly just felt like he straight up didn't like Scorbunny, Grookey and Sobble didn't get as drastic a change Scorbunny got. I also feel that it's pretty hasty to decide what the Gen 8 starters should look like since the game isn't out yet and we know next to nothing about them.

The redesigns were kinda cute I'll give him that.

"Things feel less handcrafted and more factory produced"
It is interesting that he brings up Diglett, since earlier they claim that Pokémon in Gen 1 use more realistic designs and add some imagination, well personally I think that Drilbur looks more like an actual mole than Diglett does, Diglett/Dugtrio are more like a Whack-a-Mole, Alolan Dugtrio even has hair made of steel that can function as a helmet. But you know, it is pretty magical to think that a persons childhood doodles had become loved by people around the world. His guest clearly understand what an artists or creators work can mean to them, but I don't quite understand why he believe modern designs to be "factory produced". I don't care much about Buzzwole, but other people do and James Turner, the designer of Buzzwole, is clearly happy to see how much other people love it. We honestly have little idea about what each designer were thinking when creating Pokémon, they could have any sort of childhood memory associated with it, but unless they speak in detail about them, we won't know for sure. But I do know what kind of effort goes into Pokémon and how long of a process it is, so to hear modern designs described as "factory produced" is very frustrating.

"Look; Mark and I are all but certain there isn't a discussion happening behind Game Freak's closed doors"
Well since there is more involved in Pokémon designs than just drawing them, I'm sure Game Freak does have some discussion.

"I kind of feel like the spirit of what made Pokémon look like Pokémon, has been replaced by plastic imitations. It almost seems like they missed the point of what Pokémon were established to be as in the first two Generations." (Not important, but why use Mystery Dungeon Squirtle with current Charmander and Bulbasaur?)
I don't think it was Game Freak that missed the point, it's fine to just not like modern designs, but Game Freak deserves a little more credit than this. We have a balloon rabbit (Wigglytuff) and you want to talk about what Pokémon are established to be? We have a pig monkey that's just a fuzzy ball with limbs (Primeape) and you want to talk about what Pokémon are established to be? We have a dipping bird made of programming (Porygon line) and you want to talk about what Pokémon are established to be? We have a walking plug (Elekid), a shape-shifting blob (Ditto), a punching bag (Wobbuffet), letters (Unown), a dog that's an artist with a paintbrush tail (Smeargle), whatever Chansey and Blissey are and you want to talk about what Pokémon are established to be? I'll tell you what Pokémon are established to be; varied, and they have been so since the beginning even with the limitations Game Freak had. Sugimori seems far more aware of how Pokémon are perceived than people realize, he tries to avoid creating "Pokémon that don't look like Pokémon", but still tries to make each one stand out in its own way and encourages staff to try out interesting ideas. Game Freak definitely did not miss the point, and it may be just me, but I feel the spirit is still there.

"I'm speaking purely about the design principles behind the current generation of Pokémon themselves. Designs that look like they fit in more on a store shelf than the actual world, living and breathing."
He shows a picture of Meltan, but funny enough, Masuda actually thinks that Meltan could fit in with Gen 1 really well. Really, this just makes me think about how nice it would be if Detective Pikachu came out and people have their thinking turned around. Like, they would see Pokémon of later Gens hanging out with Charizard and Friends and see that it doesn't look weird at all, that be pretty neat. Anyway, yeah, there aren't really any design principles or things like that since they use a rotating staff, any design principles probably just come from the individual and Game Freak definitely think about how the Pokémon would live in the world, where would they live and what they'd eat, they probably give it far more thought I can imagine. Honestly, I don't expect everyone to know how Game Freak design their Pokémon before they give their thoughts on them, they don't have to know, Game Freak doesn't expect them to know, and it really doesn't matter. I do care though, when someone can claim that another persons potential favorite Pokémon, doesn't look like a Pokémon, or that Game Freak is running out of ideas, or that it shouldn't exist. Of course, I'm not going to argue anytime that happens, but it really just isn't fun as a discussion. He clearly believes Kanto (and maybe Johto) to be the best, that's fine, really, it is. He doesn't like how the modern Pokémon look, that's fine, really, it is. But when such people try to find some objective decline in Pokémon designs, naturally the people who like those designs will come to argue. Attitudes like the ones expressed in this video aren't new, but they are always frustrating even when only vaguely expressed. Especially when you understand the effort that goes into the Pokémon that someone out there loves as much as you love your favorites. Seriously, you don't have to like every Pokémon, you can only love Gen 1, it's fine, really, it is, just don't bring what others like down to put what you like up.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In this case I actually support calling it SwSh, since SS makes me always think of SoulSilver.

It's definitely more understandable than the clusterfuck that was Gen 7 in that regard.
I dont see how SM is any more confusing than any of the previous games.

And I find the "SS = Soul Silver" thing a non-issue. If people constantly referred to singular games, then sure. But I dont think I can even count the times I've seen people used singular names without typing them out fully

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait...what is more anthro about the gen 8 starters than the gen 1 ones? Charmander and squirtle are both biepedal.
pokemon-sword-shield-starters.jpg.optimal.jpg

9NvEDRb.jpg

Am I missing something, or...?

Yea, because not literally every other set of starters is the exact same...
I was talking about the final stages of the starters from the last gens, they are obviously very anthro and yeah all Pokémon are anthropomorphic but some are very...furry looking, like Primarina.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about the final stages of the starters from the last gens, they are obviously very anthro and yeah all Pokémon are anthropomorphic but some are very...furry looking, like Primarina.
It's true that for the last two gens, final evolutions for some reason just become bipedal for whatever reason. Except for Greninja. Which, also, is arguably the best final form of a starter for quite a few gens.
Its not. I'm making a case that a majority of Pokemon in the last 2 gens are the complete opposite of what the diehards are describing, and Pokemon design has never been better. I'd even argue that they have gotten to a point where despitre starting with Gen 1 and being a huge Gen 2 fan, I feel that they are a lot more Pokemon than the earlier ones.
Oh, I see. I agree with that!

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This video gets really close to implying "Pokémon don't look like Pokémon anymore" which is a statement that frustrates me quite a bit, but I'll try to give it a less knee jerk response:

First off, not only was that poll unfair to Gen 8 due to not being out yet and Gen 7 due to being paired with Gen 8, it only really shows what his viewers and followers like, rather than the fanbase as a whole. Taking a quick look at his content, he seems to make a lot of Dragonball videos, so people who like Dragonball and grew up when both Dragonball and Pokémon were at their peak popularity were probably a majority of voters, which would explain why votes leaned toward the first three gens. However, since he doesn't really use it as an argument and only uses it as set up for the video, so I won't dwell on it.

That's Tsunekazu Ishihara, this is Satoshi Tajiri (I won't hold it against him):
213px-Satoshi_Tajiri_2016.jpg

Most of the video is about the development of Red and Green, some stuff I knew or had a vague idea of. Sugimori does like adding certain touches to keep Pokémon from being too cute (though no matter how hard I looked, I couldn't see the "distinctly jagged" fur on Pikachu), but the same applies to tough Pokémon too, he would add some touch ups to make it less tough looking.

The Eevee story was pretty adorable.

About the Red and Blue sprites not "posing for the camera", they are all poses. What feelings a pose conveys does matter, but it doesn't change the fact that it was made to do so. You can argue that every frame of animation is just one pose transitioning into another, that's just how it is to show off a characters body language. If he wants poses to be more action oriented or looking off to the side instead of directly at you, then that's fine, but they're still poses. I'll admit that this is really just semantics and nitpicking so it doesn't really bother me, but it does bother me that he uses this as an argument to suggest that the current Sugimori artwork make Pokémon look like toys instead of creatures in a lived in environment and does it by comparing them to the early Sugimori art instead of the sprites. Not only that, it's by picking specific ones to make the point, he uses the Red and Blue sprites of Scyther, Poliwrath, and Goldeen as ones that don't pose for the camera, but before that he uses Mankey and Butterfree as examples of "Pokémon being sketched by a researcher", but they look like their staring at the camera to me. He compares the old Raichu art to the Alolan Raichu, but doesn't bother with comparing old and new Scyther art, which happens to both be in action poses.

Honestly, I probably would've taken this better is he just said "I miss the watercolor artwork" or "I prefer sprites to 3d models" instead of Cherubi picking to make a point, I would at least be able to understand that.

Saying that current artwork look like toys instead of creatures really undermines the amount of effort and thought that Game Freak puts into each Pokémon, Game Freak is not at all giving the cool Pokémon the backseat and it's not like there was much of a strict design philosophy for Gen 1 and 2, it was more about the hardware limitations, the video even points out the differences between the original Red/Green with Blue where Game Freak took the time to change up the sprites to make them look nicer, Game Freak were able to get more creative, so they did. Game Freak always tries new ideas with designs as hardware improves and Sugimori encourages everyone to test what a Pokémon can be.

Why is Weavile in Gen 6?

Too often people suggest that Pokémon are abandoning realistic designs in favor of cartoon-like ones, but that ignores the goofy and cartoon-like designs that existed in the very beginning. He mentions that Morimoto talked about a poll in Game Freak the Exeggcutor won, saying that it doesn't follow the cute is always best school of thought that modern designs have. Well, for one, Exeggcutor is a pretty round and smooth looking design that the video claims the new designs mostly have, also, Morimoto was probably talking about this poll: https://helixchamber.com/2018/08/07/tajiri-manga/

Exeggcutor is in first, but Chansey and Clefairy follow it, so these cute smooth looking designs have been important to Game Freak for quite awhile. Also, I know some of the places are obscure so we don't know the full list, but if Pikachu was as popular as Sugimori said, it's a little strange that it's not in the top 10, so I think this poll might have been before Pikachu was designed. If he wants to imply that Game Freak has a variety of tastes in Pokémon designs that are not just cute, then that's true, but just because they create cute designs doesn't mean they abandon other types of Pokémon.

I honestly don't really get what the deal was with recreating Scorbunny. He tried to make it a mixture of different elements of different Gen 1 Pokémon, he tried to give Scorbunny Meowth's feet and Mankey's arms, but decided that Scorbunny's face shouldn't be flat and he apparently couldn't keep the ears (I assume because he thought they were too smooth). "I decided to step back and start from scratch and study some real rabbits" ...so, like Game Freak does? It honestly just felt like he straight up didn't like Scorbunny, Grookey and Sobble didn't get as drastic a change Scorbunny got. I also feel that it's pretty hasty to decide what the Gen 8 starters should look like since the game isn't out yet and we know next to nothing about them.

The redesigns were kinda cute I'll give him that.

"Things feel less handcrafted and more factory produced"
It is interesting that he brings up Diglett, since earlier they claim that Pokémon in Gen 1 use more realistic designs and add some imagination, well personally I think that Drilbur looks more like an actual mole than Diglett does, Diglett/Dugtrio are more like a Whack-a-Mole, Alolan Dugtrio even has hair made of steel that can function as a helmet. But you know, it is pretty magical to think that a persons childhood doodles had become loved by people around the world. His guest clearly understand what an artists or creators work can mean to them, but I don't quite understand why he believe modern designs to be "factory produced". I don't care much about Buzzwole, but other people do and James Turner, the designer of Buzzwole, is clearly happy to see how much other people love it. We honestly have little idea about what each designer were thinking when creating Pokémon, they could have any sort of childhood memory associated with it, but unless they speak in detail about them, we won't know for sure. But I do know what kind of effort goes into Pokémon and how long of a process it is, so to hear modern designs described as "factory produced" is very frustrating.

"Look; Mark and I are all but certain there isn't a discussion happening behind Game Freak's closed doors"
Well since there is more involved in Pokémon designs than just drawing them, I'm sure Game Freak does have some discussion.

"I kind of feel like the spirit of what made Pokémon look like Pokémon, has been replaced by plastic imitations. It almost seems like they missed the point of what Pokémon were established to be as in the first two Generations." (Not important, but why use Mystery Dungeon Squirtle with current Charmander and Bulbasaur?)
I don't think it was Game Freak that missed the point, it's fine to just not like modern designs, but Game Freak deserves a little more credit than this. We have a balloon rabbit (Wigglytuff) and you want to talk about what Pokémon are established to be? We have a pig monkey that's just a fuzzy ball with limbs (Primeape) and you want to talk about what Pokémon are established to be? We have a dipping bird made of programming (Porygon line) and you want to talk about what Pokémon are established to be? We have a walking plug (Elekid), a shape-shifting blob (Ditto), a punching bag (Wobbuffet), letters (Unown), a dog that's an artist with a paintbrush tail (Smeargle), whatever Chansey and Blissey are and you want to talk about what Pokémon are established to be? I'll tell you what Pokémon are established to be; varied, and they have been so since the beginning even with the limitations Game Freak had. Sugimori seems far more aware of how Pokémon are perceived than people realize, he tries to avoid creating "Pokémon that don't look like Pokémon", but still tries to make each one stand out in its own way and encourages staff to try out interesting ideas. Game Freak definitely did not miss the point, and it may be just me, but I feel the spirit is still there.

"I'm speaking purely about the design principles behind the current generation of Pokémon themselves. Designs that look like they fit in more on a store shelf than the actual world, living and breathing."
He shows a picture of Meltan, but funny enough, Masuda actually thinks that Meltan could fit in with Gen 1 really well. Really, this just makes me think about how nice it would be if Detective Pikachu came out and people have their thinking turned around. Like, they would see Pokémon of later Gens hanging out with Charizard and Friends and see that it doesn't look weird at all, that be pretty neat. Anyway, yeah, there aren't really any design principles or things like that since they use a rotating staff, any design principles probably just come from the individual and Game Freak definitely think about how the Pokémon would live in the world, where would they live and what they'd eat, they probably give it far more thought I can imagine. Honestly, I don't expect everyone to know how Game Freak design their Pokémon before they give their thoughts on them, they don't have to know, Game Freak doesn't expect them to know, and it really doesn't matter. I do care though, when someone can claim that another persons potential favorite Pokémon, doesn't look like a Pokémon, or that Game Freak is running out of ideas, or that it shouldn't exist. Of course, I'm not going to argue anytime that happens, but it really just isn't fun as a discussion. He clearly believes Kanto (and maybe Johto) to be the best, that's fine, really, it is. He doesn't like how the modern Pokémon look, that's fine, really, it is. But when such people try to find some objective decline in Pokémon designs, naturally the people who like those designs will come to argue. Attitudes like the ones expressed in this video aren't new, but they are always frustrating even when only vaguely expressed. Especially when you understand the effort that goes into the Pokémon that someone out there loves as much as you love your favorites. Seriously, you don't have to like every Pokémon, you can only love Gen 1, it's fine, really, it is, just don't bring what others like down to put what you like up.

DeafeningGaseousChinchilla-max-1mb.gif

What a great response. Couldn't have said it any better.

I dont see how SM is any more confusing than any of the previous games.

And I find the "SS = Soul Silver" thing a non-issue. If people constantly referred to singular games, then sure. But I dont think I can even count the times I've seen people used singular names without typing them out fully

It's not SM that confuses me, it's SuMo. I see a lot of people referring to the game in that way and it always confuses me.

Don't get me wrong, it is a minor issue. It's just that it will take a while to adapt to it after having that abbreviation associated with something else for a decade.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018

It's true that for the last two gens, final evolutions for some reason just become bipedal for whatever reason. Except for Greninja. Which, also, is arguably the best final form of a starter for quite a few gens.
Neither is Primarina. Sure, it's meant to have alluring qualities as it's based on a selkie/siren, but it's far from the likes of Incineroar and Lopunny.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I genuinely think the Alolan starter designs are the best by virtue of having a ton of personality. Personality and background info in general has been improved a ton in the recent generations. Decidueye isn't just an owl, its a cool archer owl that can use the leaves on its heads like hoodie drawstrings when it gets startled, but its normally calm and collected. Incineroar isn't just a big tiger, its a heel wrestler that loves fighting and playing to the crowd, but hates picking on the weak and likes kids. Primarina isn't just a normal seel, but a Siren that passes down singing techniques throughout its evolutionary lines. I love the older starters too, but personality and background information in pokemon are some of my favorite things, and combined with great design it makes newer pokemon tend to come out on top for me.

It helps that the pokedex in Sun and Moon was easily the best its ever been, providing way more info than in the past, even for old pokemon, in combination with the blurbs on the website when a new pokemon was revealed. Not to say there aren't pokemon with personality in the older gens, like Psyduck, but I think its way more prominent nowadays.

Also believe it or not pokemon for the most part (sans Ultra Beasts, but thats the point of them) have actually gotten more inspired by real world animals/phenomenon than they were in the past. Before when the pokemon regions were Japan they weren't really based on the fauna and flora of the location and were more generalized solid creature design. Nowadays Gamefreak does a ton of research on the location the region is based on and makes almost every pokemon based on something native to that region, not all of them because that would obviously limit designs. Alola especially excelled at that, Toxapex as a Crown of Thorns Starfish, Rockruff as a Hawaiian Poi, the Bounsweet line as Mangosteens, etc. And they all actually received ecological niches and are tied in with the region. Pyukumuku is my favorite example of this because the whole thing with them getting stuck on beaches and locals throwing them back in so they don't die, and the fact that while tourists hate them, the locals actually find them endearing is amazing, thats the kind of stuff we would have never gotten before.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Please, fellas, we just need to come up with something better than Baddy Bad, it's not that high of a bar.

Remi me of those awful move names ugh
Today in wrong opinions: A video talking about how older Pokémon designs (mainly Gen 1) are vastly different from newer ones (mainly Gen 8).

Look I totally love his content, but this was wrong on so many levels, and the guest youtuber was heavily influenced by nostalgic bias.

Not only that, the redesign of scorbunny is bad. It's visually great, but considering we don't know the theme that is followed in his evolutionary line, it's way to early to attempt a redesign.

Should have asked Joe for a collab. But then again: The video would be completely different in that case

Y'all weren't kidding, this really is a bad video.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was kind of bothered by how lined up the Generation 8 Starters do feel a bit...samey. I mean in a vacuum there's nothing wrong with the individual designs, but side by side it's a bit lame they all kind of have the same body type. Big head, little body, and then fin/ears. Generation 7 was better where each of the Starters had a more unique body shape.

But to be fair Charmander and Squirtle are the same body shapes too.

Anyways, I don't mind humanoid Pokemon BUT I do like when they were reserved for the Pokemon who were always humanoid throughout...the Starters starting out as animals and becoming humanoid does sort of feel weird now that it's the norm. It works in some cases like Blaziken (because he was the exception), or Greninja who blends in the humanoid elements well enough, but the majority of final Starters are too humanoid for their own good. Not that I don't like their designs, but I feel like Starters benefit more when they play a bit closer to nature. Grookey and Scorbunny will probably be humanoid which I don't mind as naturally an ape lends themselves well to humanoid designs and Scorbunny's little band-aid seems to point to that, but I hope Sobble stays animalistic.

Basically I wish we got more final Starters like Torterra.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Torterra is my alltime favorite starter so I feel you there. I think they're making more of an effort to anthropomorphize the starters. At least that's what S/M felt like. It'll be interesting to see if that carries over again.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
Torterra is my alltime favorite starter so I feel you there. I think they're making more of an effort to anthropomorphize the starters. At least that's what S/M felt like. It'll be interesting to see if that carries over again.
I understand why you say that, but really Incineroar's the only one that is heavily anthropomorphised. I don't think there was a special effort to make them more humanoid at least, as owls happen to stand fairly upright to begin with and Primarina is just a slender seal.

Last edited:

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I understand why you say that, but really Incineroar's the only one that is heavily anthropomorphised. I don't think there was a special effort to make them more humanoid, as owls happen to stand fairly upright to begin with and Primarina is just a slender seal.

Yeah I guess I'm using the wrong word here, but rather than humanoid I mean more of an effort to make them more animated I guess? Especially when you take in their unique Z-Moves.

Edit: Expressive is probably the word I'm looking for here

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I genuinely think the Alolan starter designs are the best by virtue of having a ton of personality. Personality and background info in general has been improved a ton in the recent generations. Decidueye isn't just an owl, its a cool archer owl that can use the leaves on its heads like hoodie drawstrings when it gets startled, but its normally calm and collected. Incineroar isn't just a big tiger, its a heel wrestler that loves fighting and playing to the crowd, but hates picking on the weak and likes kids. Primarina isn't just a normal seel, but a Siren that passes down singing techniques throughout its evolutionary lines. I love the older starters too, but personality and background information in pokemon are some of my favorite things, and combined with great design it makes newer pokemon tend to come out on top for me.

I think something that has definitely influenced the design of new Pokémon is that they now have in mind, or they seem to be more conscious about the fact that these new Pokémon will ultimately end up being characters for the anime. Lately the new Pokémon have almost as much importance as the human characters, with distinctive personalities than just a tool for battling, or a pet kind of role.

And of course I'm aware of what some people have already mentioned, as technology evolves and allows them to do more stuff, the design of the characters will keep evolving too, and I noticed that since Gen III. I remember back when I played XD or Colosseum, how Gen III Pokémon seemed like they were designed with their 3D models in mind, they were made to look good in 3D and 2D while most Gen II Pokémon models looked like they were made out of construction paper or something, and most of Gen I were just simply horrible, like Eevee or Arcanine or the birds. That was still noticeable in Battle Revolution.

I think the best they could've done was what they did for Gen VI to create the models based on the official artwork. Don't know how they did it, but they look as they should've always looked like.

I think they did, and even the same artists that have been since the beginning have changed. Wasn't Ken Sugimori the one that designed Klink's line?

I think it's natural, and obvious that they did. But I still prefer the older :P

The thing is, older Pokémon aren't going anywhere, and all the new Pokémon will always have to coexist with the old ones, and each time the contrast will be bigger. Do I prefer a Pokémon like Sawsbuck over one like Stantler? Absolutely, but you won't deny that if someone doesn't know them, wouldn't believe they belong to the same game/franchise. Should they stick with mediocrity and keep the simple designs to keep uniformity? Of course not, so I get it.

I just think that the general consensus of "the right answer" is that first generation or two generations were bad, and later generations came to fix their flaws. For every extremist genwunner, there's an anti Gen I that will basically say the worst that has happened to Pokémon was the first generation. One just simply cannot be "objective" and prefer Gen I because nostalgia annuls any argument.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I do think there's certain Pokemon that are...focus tested? to market.

But then you have situations where unusual Pokemon become marketable like Stunfisk and Croagunk.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they did, and even the same artists that have been since the beginning have changed. Wasn't Ken Sugimori the one that designed Klink's line?

I think it's natural, and obvious that they did. But I still prefer the older :P

The thing is, older Pokémon aren't going anywhere, and all the new Pokémon will always have to coexist with the old ones, and each time the contrast will be bigger. Do I prefer a Pokémon like Sawsbuck over one like Stantler? Absolutely, but you won't deny that if someone doesn't know them, wouldn't believe they belong to the same game/franchise. Should they stick with mediocrity and keep the simple designs to keep uniformity? Of course not, so I get it.

I just think that the general consensus of "the right answer" is that first generation or two generations were bad, and later generations came to fix their flaws. For every extremist genwunner, there's an anti Gen I that will basically say the worst that has happened to Pokémon was the first generation. One just simply cannot be "objective" and prefer Gen I because nostalgia annul any argument.

except the new alola mons are full of natural "literally a x" pokemon.

600px-733Toucannon.png

literally toucan sam

and the sawsbuck and stantler thing is just weird.

600px-234Stantler.png
600px-586Sawsbuck-Summer.png

I don't know how anyone would think these couldn't have come from the same series. at worst, people would say it looks like a pokemon rip off (something I've actually heard from people while showing them other games)

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
There has also been a mix of more realistic and cartoony monsters from day one. You have Pokemon like Ponyta/Rapidash, Tauros and Persian with more typical anatomy next to the more stylised ones including Pikachu, Nidoran and Tentacruel.

The difference is that now we've been going on long enough to see different interpretations of similar species.

Oct 26, 2017
The cuteness of Pokemon is literally the series' least pressing concern right now. The Pokemon you encounter in Sun and Moon are the cutest in the series.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I've always thought there was too much of a stark contrast of cartoon and realism between Tauros and Miltank for them to be linked as part of the same family. Miltank is honestly one of the most cartoony Pokemon in the whole franchise.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't the argument Pokemon are two cute? I do think there's a bigger emphasis on small bodies, big heads.

But that's mainly for lower level dudes. I still think you have some "heavier" designs like Oranguru and Golisopod which have a real weight to them. I also kind of feel Dhelmise of all Gen VII Pokemon feels the most like a quirky Generation I Pokemon, in a good way.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Yeah I do think there's certain Pokemon that are...focus tested? to market.

But then you have situations where unusual Pokemon become marketable like Stunfisk and Croagunk.
It's obvious a lot of Pokemon are chosen before they're revealed to be pushed into popularity. GF knows what works so they create Pokemon with mass appeal.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe they made Fire/Fighting starters three generations in a row. That was so dumb.

Yeah if they are going to do so many repeat type combos at least give them some crazy movesets, stat spreads and abilities

Otherwise they should endeavor for variety

Its defintely gotten better with the addition of Fairy type. I hope they continue to remix old mons as they introduce new ones

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel the three Fire/Fighting starters are different enough otherwise but yeah that was weird.

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
The Fire/Fighting three times in a row was probably a balance thing I feel. Like, if you look at the types of opponents you face in Black and White, Tepig looks like it would have an easier time, Clay, a Ground type Gym Leader, would normally be a tough fight for Tepig, but since Excadrill is Ground/Steel, the Tepig line has a better chance against it. It is also a possibility that, since there aren't many physical Fire type moves, they wanted to make use of the high Attack stat without giving Fire a 4x weakness to Water or Ground. They probably had certain expectations on how players would use them in the main game.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Fire/Fighting was entirely so they could teach type advantages against both the starter trio and rock types (Brock, Roxanne, Roark...). If anything Emboar being one was probably some holdover that they didn't think would be a big deal but everyone lost their shit over Another FireFighter.

One little thing as the person who wrote that: there were multiple internal polls, this was just one of them. We believe it to be dated sometime around 1992-1993 and a bunch of Pokemon probably haven't even been created at that point (Pikachu is in the very next "group" after the ones shown, though). So Exeggutor probably did win at least one, but Pikachu was probably in the top 10 towards the end of development (especially if it got a third evolution way after the group it was introduced in).

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
Fire/Fighting was entirely so they could teach type advantages against both the starter trio and rock types (Brock, Roxanne, Roark...). If anything Emboar being one was probably some holdover that they didn't think would be a big deal but everyone lost their shit over Another FireFighter.

One little thing as the person who wrote that: there were multiple internal polls, this was just one of them. We believe it to be dated sometime around 1992-1993 and a bunch of Pokemon probably haven't even been created at that point (Pikachu is in the very next "group" after the ones shown, though). So Exeggutor probably did win at least one, but Pikachu was probably in the top 10 towards the end of development (especially if it got a third evolution way after the group it was introduced in).

Thank you, I did figure there were multiple polls, but I honestly wasn't sure about Pikachu when I wrote that.