• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I just want new idle animations at least. because the current ones are terrible. all the complaining you hear about "[insert pokemon here] was ruined in the move to 3D" is because the idle animation sucks ass. they can dole them out over time if they don't want to do everything up front (new pokemon first then work backward, update patches, a gen every new game, whatever), but at some point, they'll need to address it as it's a pretty big stain on the games' presentation

That alone would be a huge improvement. I think the one I hate the most is Xatu lol it looks like it has a huge fan underneath it that is making it float that way.

Changing the idle at least every generation would be the equivalent of changing the sprites from Gen I - V and would give a sense of evolution even if the models themselves are the same.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I simultaneously appreciate the effort but also realize that the bulk of it (in terms of animating the Pokemon in 3D) has demonstrably already been done as of XY and SM/USUM, and I have to say that it's time to put an equivalent amount of effort into the game world design as well as the breadth of content. I'm not really clamoring for super detailed animations (and I'm even unperturbed by the infamous Blastoise Cannons), but I'm very ready for the series to step forward in a lot of other ways.

I saw someone mention that the bulk of animation work was impressive for a team of GF's size (true), to which I would say, yeah, that's kind of the problem. They straight up need more staff, even with the outsourcing they do (and could stand to do more). Even if it's just a modest increase, they aren't working on 3DS-tier hardware any longer, and that's only going to show in more unfortunate ways if they keep up the same development philosophy moving forward on Switch and beyond.

Its already been mentioned but that's likely mostly outsourced and not in-house

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak needs to get off the "game a year" mentality as it's not sustainable with the increased worked for HD games and their staff count.

To play Shitposter's Advocate (that is, to take a stance that I find absolutely reprehensible), it probably is sustainable if folks keep gobbling up the series in the numbers that they have even as recently as LG. The only scenario in which they'd need to step away from a yearly release schedule is one in which the market stops responding to half-baked, feature-bare, content-starved entries, which isn't happening now. Therefore there's no reason for them to change their philosophy!

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
To play Shitposter's Advocate (that is, to take a stance that I find absolutely reprehensible), it probably is sustainable if folks keep gobbling up the series in the numbers that they have even as recently as LG. The only scenario in which they'd need to step away from a yearly release schedule is one in which the market stops responding to half-baked, feature-bare, content-starved entries, which isn't happening now. Therefore there's no reason for them to change their philosophy!
With the exception of XY no game in the series has been feature bare or content starved since the original Red and Blue.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Game Freak has been growing and expanding little by little for years, if they do not want to grow up suddenly and drastically increase the scope of their games, it is an option as respectable as any other

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Something I think would be nice is if Pokemon battles took a page from FFX-2 or XIII. By that I mean how the characters in battle kinda move around the field a little. Where if they go in for a physical attack, they don't always return to the exact same spot they started in, or if they're hit they get knocked back and again don't always return to the same spot. So while the battles are still turn-based, it gives them a more dynamic feel.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a nightmare that I was playing Pokémon Sword and Shield and it sucked as all you do in the game is farming and fostering social relationship with the NPC. The Pokémon element is in the background and not the main focus. *shudders*

Also I am getting sick of the no news nonsense, hopefully with Detective Pikachu releasing this week. They will finally start showing off information about the game. I just want to just how disappointed I should be with the game along with seeing the new Gen 8 Pokémon. Come on glorious return of cross gen evolution.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do people get hundreds of hours out of these content starved games without even playing online?

I literally have no idea and I say this as someone who has done just that. I'd be interested to see some numbers on how many offline players are clocking hundreds of hours though

I guess I like to look for shinies as my self-made postgame, but it's more of a "god I wanna play pokemon but there's really nothing to play in Pokemon" deal for me. Hell most of my series-wide playtime isn't even spent in a single save. I have to start new save files over and over to feel like I'm playing something fresh or fun. A damning enough statement that I can barely spend a handful of hours after the credits of a given title without getting bored and needing to restart. Even then, a romp through the campaign is a ~15 hour affair and then it's over and then I go play something more engaging until the next time I get the Pokemon itch again.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do people get hundreds of hours out of these content starved games without even playing online?
Fun mini-games, battle challenges with worthwhile rewards, seasonal single player challenges.

Just look at Netherrealm and how they became the go-to example for single player in a genre where fans are usually "who cares about single player"

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Sometimes I think the league should be completed in the first two hours so that the rest of the game is postgame to end the content starved debate

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My favorite part of the New Pokemon cycle is when we get to see our first batch of common Pokemon. Generation IV was the first Generation I really followed the reveals of, and they went like this...

* Generation IV: Of course this was the last time we got multiple Pokemon revealed before the games were even properly announced really, but once we knew about Diamond and Pearl and saw our first screen, Drapion, Cherrim, and Pachirisu were the first group. We knew we were getting Baby/Evolutions due to Weavile, Mime Jr. and Bonsly already being known about, so a lot of people thought Drapion evolved from Gligar. It kind of illustrated how Generation IV would go, not too many completely new Pokemon. Drapion was the classic "big purply Pokemon" Gen IV was fond of, Cherrim was one the many gimmicky Grass or Bug Pokemon, and Pachirisu basically established the idea of a Pikachu clone since we only had Plusle and Minun before and that wasn't exactly a pattern. It's worth noting the Starters and Legendaries came later here. Yep, there were quite a few Pokemon known before them.

* Generation V: An absolute blow-out---we got Chillarmy, we got Klink, we got Sandile, we got Blitzle, we got Pidove, we got Munna, we got Darmanitan. I felt by this we were getting a lot of Pokemon, and a week or so later there was a new commercial that showed off even more Pokemon. Probably my favorite CoroCoro leak EVER. I would die if our first Sword and Shield mass Pokemon reveal matches this.

* Generation VI: Kind of the same deal as above, but on a lesser scale---Gogoat, Pancham, Helioptile (Mawile pre-evolution? lol), and Fletchling. Solid batch all things considered.

* Generation VII: Technically just Rockruff and Komala at first, but that was in CoroCoro which took a backseat---the official site updated with them around E3, which gave us Yungoos, Grubbin, and Pikipek. First time we got the early rodent, bug, and bird revealed all at once which was kind of cool.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
So uh... Are we saying LGPE don't count here? Because they definitely felt more feature bare and content starved than XY.
Right, I'm sorry, Let's Go are definitely not ok but I tend to not consider them at all. First and only mainline games I haven't played and don't intend to, for a reason :P

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
Right, I'm sorry, Let's Go are definitely not ok but I tend to not consider them at all. First and only mainline games I haven't played and don't intend to, for a reason :P
Gotcha, in that case I agree! Heck, even XY had some decent stuff- but I do think that they need to step up their game if they're charging $60. More or better content than the 3DS installments!

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
what kind of endgame stuff do people want?

Battle Frontiers are a good starting point. Espicially after this.

tumblr_ocqoksWXWd1sk3o83o1_640.png

Delta Episode ain't gonna cover something like that.

Personally I want Pokemon World Tournament to return. Seeing all the trainers back, seeing them with brand new (and challenging!) teams, that you can fight in singles, doubles, triples or rotations. Oh and each region has it's own Remixed song? Champions included? Ace.

Ultra Sun and Moon got close with Team Rainbow Rocket, giving each Admin a remixed song and powerful team (Even including the region legendaries!), but they drop the ball massively with the grunts, only being Team Rocket Grunts with one theme and they run out of kanto pokemon halfway through the side story (They didn't even use Johto pokemon to mix things up despite them using their Johto theme song...)

Never do Master Trainers again, ever. Grinding up to high levels and stats just for a 2 minute fight isn't fun.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
They need a difficult post game quest. XY was inexplicable with throwing battles against low level trainers that had like 1 pokemon.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what kind of endgame stuff do people want?

Something like Battle Island from the Sinnoh game, mixed with tough gym leader type trainers, Pokémon that aren't native to the main land and an episode type plot that Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire introduced.

That's how it should be done rather than what Game Freak currently does.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
People get hundreds of hours out of Pokemon because catching Pokémon and the amount of stuff to do is quite a bit despite what some say.

Battle Frontier probably won't ever return even if they decide to add more stuff for postgame.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
secondary League, like an underground league or something. they should focus on different things than types, like stats. and of course, they should have their own elite four

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd trade Pokemon attempting a post game for an online mode that's easy to access and rewarding.

Show me Fortnite's battle pass but in Pokemon you cowards! lmao

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if we want to be lazy about it, bringing back more or less every feature/idea that they've cut out of the series over the years would be enough for me. Give me a DexNav so I can find HA Pokemon in the wild easily with egg moves; bring back secret bases that I can decorate and customize and search for other trainers' bases; bring back some kind of not-awful battle facilities; bring back more minigames like Pokeathelon, the Sinnoh underground, even the XY Amie minigames (better yet, make those more in-depth), etc; bring back triple and rotation battles because the wackiness of the former was the only joy I got out of XY's Maison; refine the idea of custom Pokeballs that was attempted with Gen 4's seals; bring back contests, musicals, Pokestar studios, et al. The list goes on and on. And I'll go ahead and preempt them and say don't remove pretty much anything unique about SM including but not limited to: Totems, SOS battles, Pokepelago, and Pokefinder (which should be expanded into a fully-functional in-game Snap side mode).

The series should be accumulating features and modes and ideas rather than throwing them out. And lets not kid ourselves, they're throwing them out because they don't have the resources to iterate upon them. It's not """to keep each region unique.""" It's because they refuse to step up to the plate on this issue and allow the series to continue to grow, rather opting to start from square one with most features for a new gen because it's expedient.

I mean the idea that there's no room for growth in terms of the series's content is kind of outrageous. Not everyone wants to complete the Pokedex every time because not everyone gets a kick out of catching the same Pokemon ad nauseam generation after generation. I really struggle to see how I'm supposed to find nearly any modern Pokemon game appealing to play offline for any significant amount of time. Like I said earlier, about ~80% of my playtime in SM has been SOSing for shinies, which I genuinely enjoy and is neat enough in its own regard, but that's about all there is for me to do at this point.

And I haven't even touched on the online stuff, which has been mishandled/underdeveloped in an almost unreal way. But that isn't really my scene anyway.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've always felt the mainline games, despite their shortcomings, gave me a decent enough adventure that I felt I got my money's worth.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if we want to be lazy about it, bringing back more or less every feature/idea that they've cut out of the series over the years would be enough for me. Give me a DexNav so I can find HA Pokemon in the wild easily with egg moves; bring back secret bases that I can decorate and customize and search for other trainers' bases; bring back some kind of not-awful battle facilities; bring back more minigames like Pokeathelon, the Sinnoh underground, even the XY Amie minigames (better yet, make those more in-depth), etc; bring back triple and rotation battles because the wackiness of the former was the only joy I got out of XY's Maison; refine the idea of custom Pokeballs that was attempted with Gen 4's seals; bring back contests, musicals, Pokestar studios, et al. The list goes on and on. And I'll go ahead and preempt them and say don't remove pretty much anything unique about SM including but not limited to: Totems, SOS battles, Pokepelago, and Pokefinder (which should be expanded into a fully-functional in-game Snap side mode).

The series should be accumulating features and modes and ideas rather than throwing them out. And lets not kid ourselves, they're throwing them out because they don't have the resources to iterate upon them. It's not """to keep each region unique.""" It's because they refuse to step up to the plate on this issue and allow the series to continue to grow, rather opting to start from square one with most features for a new gen because it's expedient.

I mean the idea that there's no room for growth in terms of the series's content is kind of outrageous. Not everyone wants to complete the Pokedex every time because not everyone gets a kick out of catching the same Pokemon ad nauseam generation after generation. I really struggle to see how I'm supposed to find nearly any modern Pokemon game appealing to play offline for any significant amount of time. Like I said earlier, about ~80% of my playtime in SM has been SOSing for shinies, which I genuinely enjoy and is neat enough in its own regard, but that's about all there is for me to do at this point.

And I haven't even touched on the online stuff, which has been mishandled/underdeveloped in an almost unreal way. But that isn't really my scene anyway.
I would imagine it's more them deciding they don't want something anymore rather than them not having the resources.

Personally I disagree with you about the online scene being underdeveloped.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the Genius Sonority has some interesting gimmicks that could be copied for the main series like Bingo Battle

there are also other ways they can give you more playtime without feel like padding. like an encyclopedia/photography side quest. finding and photographing pokemon, locations, and people for unique items.

bring back Pokeathlon, but in 3D this time

pokethlon-snow.png
pennantcapture.png

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine it's more them deciding they don't want something anymore rather than them not having the resources.

Personally I disagree with you about the online scene being underdeveloped.

Fair enough on the second point. Admittedly I don't delve into it a lot but it seems to be lacking quite a few options and then there's the detested PSS -> Festival Plaza switch.

As for the first thing, I think it's gonna be a Big Disagree from me. There's really no good reason to get rid of the various minigames, features, etc. whatsoever. Those things, the things that aren't just straight up catch/battle, are what I talk about when I describe "breadth of content." Especially for a series like Pokemon, one would expect the "girth" (I am very sorry I had to use this word) of the series to grow rather than remain the same. To me stuff like secret bases, decent battle facilities, and the DexNav should be constant (as well as SM things like Pokepelago and Ride).

Also someone please recommend me a good synonym for "girth"

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I just realized that I somehow forgot about this game until just now. I'm ready for more info like the rest of everyone else. I know it usually comes in May or whatever. I'm just ready for it. And November.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough on the second point. Admittedly I don't delve into it a lot but it seems to be lacking quite a few options and then there's the detested PSS -> Festival Plaza switch.

As for the first thing, I think it's gonna be a Big Disagree from me. There's really no good reason to get rid of the various minigames, features, etc. whatsoever. Those things, the things that aren't just straight up catch/battle, are what I talk about when I describe "breadth of content." Especially for a series like Pokemon, one would expect the "girth" (I am very sorry I had to use this word) of the series to grow rather than remain the same. To me stuff like secret bases, decent battle facilities, and the DexNav should be constant (as well as SM things like Pokepelago and Ride).

Also someone please recommend me a good synonym for "girth"
If people don't use or like stuff like the Battle Frontier, Safari Zone and contests then they probably aren't going to stay around.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I got a good feeling about this Friday lads. I just don't wanna have to wait through the weekend lol

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If people don't use or like stuff like the Battle Frontier, Safari Zone and contests then they probably aren't going to stay around.

Well I didn't really mention those things as essential in my post (I guess battle facilities), but yeah I think those should be mainstays as well. Or at least contests.

But at this point we're debating the pragmatic merit of including quality single player content and not the game quality merit. If we're having that debate then one could just say GF could be justified in removing any meaningful single player content whatsoever since most of the players who buy Pokemon play through once and then they're done.

So I think there's merit making the case for GF needing to step up in this regard for the sake of game quality rather than just thinking "some graph showed us very few people care about this stuff." Because ultimately all players who engage with the games for more than just what's required to see the credits are a very small portion of the market for the titles, whether those are online or offline players.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Well I didn't really mention those things as essential in my post (I guess battle facilities), but yeah I think those should be mainstays as well. Or at least contests.

But at this point we're debating the pragmatic merit of including quality single player content and not the game quality merit. If we're having that debate then one could just say GF could be justified in removing any meaningful single player content whatsoever since most of the players who buy Pokemon play through once and then they're done.

So I think there's merit making the case for GF needing to step up in this regard for the sake of game quality rather than just thinking "some graph showed us very few people care about this stuff." Because ultimately all players who engage with the games for more than just what's required to see the credits are a very small portion of the market for the titles, whether those are online or offline players.
the fact that in the mainline games, they seem to be focusing ever more on the pvp seems to imply a very large group focuses on that. I doubt its the majority, but 30 to 40%.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the fact that in the mainline games, they seem to be focusing ever more on the pvp seems to imply a very large group focuses on that. I doubt its the majority, but 30 to 40%.

I think there's data on this that shows otherwise, in a pretty drastic direction. I can look for it later, but I can say From My Gut that nowhere near 30% of people who buy Pokemon games are playing online regularly.

Nov 14, 2017
I literally have no idea and I say this as someone who has done just that. I'd be interested to see some numbers on how many offline players are clocking hundreds of hours though

I guess I like to look for shinies as my self-made postgame, but it's more of a "god I wanna play pokemon but there's really nothing to play in Pokemon" deal for me. Hell most of my series-wide playtime isn't even spent in a single save. I have to start new save files over and over to feel like I'm playing something fresh or fun. A damning enough statement that I can barely spend a handful of hours after the credits of a given title without getting bored and needing to restart. Even then, a romp through the campaign is a ~15 hour affair and then it's over and then I go play something more engaging until the next time I get the Pokemon itch again.
totally agreed. There seriously needs to be a proper endgame dungeon where you can grind for money and XP instead of the same tired Battle facility over and over that you can only really enjoy after hours of breeding perfect Pokemon, which in turn means abandoning the team that got you to the endgame in the first place because their stats are terrible.

The Black Tower/White Tree from BW2 should be a staple at this point. It was a Battle facility that still gave you experience, money, and items

Last edited:

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
totally agreed. There seriously needs to be a proper endgame dungeon where you can grind for money and XP instead of the same tired Battle facility over and over that you can only really enjoy after hours of breeding perfect Pokemon, which in turn means abandoning the team that got you to the endgame in the first place because their stats are terrible.
wouldnt people have to do that regardless? Battle facility mimics pvp enverment, I am not sure you could ever build a proper dongen and expect 1 team for both.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How do you all feel about Day and Night?

I feel since Gen II they're backing away from it since it could limit some players and I feel Let's Go dropped it to make it snappier for casual players.

I still think in-game day and night that could easily be adjusted would allow them to do more with it without feeling it would put off players who have limited playtime.

Nov 14, 2017

I feel since Gen II they're backing away from it since it could limit some players and I feel Let's Go dropped it to make it snappier for casual players.

I still think in-game day and night that could easily be adjusted would allow them to do more with it without feeling it would put off players who have limited playtime.
Speed up the ToD cycle so that it isn't set to real life. That way you can experience an entire day and catch Pokemon at night without actually staying up late at night.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Day/Night = Yes

Days of the week = sure, but not for anything key?

Seasons = I'm probably not committing to more than a month of playing the game before I move on, realistically.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

The more they try to do with Day/Night the more people complain.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I just want new idle animations at least. because the current ones are terrible. all the complaining you hear about "[insert pokemon here] was ruined in the move to 3D" is because the idle animation sucks ass. they can dole them out over time if they don't want to do everything up front (new pokemon first then work backward, update patches, a gen every new game, whatever), but at some point, they'll need to address it as it's a pretty big stain on the games' presentation

OjdjpfZ.gif
r3OvJRr.gif

Please just ditch the Sky Battle animations. Put them back on the damn ground.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
secondary League, like an underground league or something. they should focus on different things than types, like stats. and of course, they should have their own elite four

That sounds pretty cool.

I spend 10s if not 100s of hours breeding and EV training Pokémon and 100s if not 1000s of hours battling those same Pokémon online AFTER a fresh new play three of the game with those Pokémon.

I get what I want out of the competitive side but I would also love a post game that's better than what we've been getting lately.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
if we are talking about stuff we want, I would like a coop dongen for post game, though I wouldnt expect it.