• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 26, 2017
The Mega Evolution's shiny seems to reference that early shiny color though.

It goes from Red
Spr_7s_130_m_s.png

To pinkish
Spr_7s_130M_s.png

Not sure I call that pink. It's still red but a touch lighter than original Gyarados.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Kinda off-topic but it's cool how that artwork illustrates how Sugimori changed up the art style in the early 2000s, especially when it comes to the Pokémon. The Charizard's proportions, pose, and shading would fit in with pretty much any modern official art, but then there's the trainer who is still very classic.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda off-topic but it's cool how that artwork illustrates how Sugimori changed up the art style in the early 2000s, especially when it comes to the Pokémon. The Charizard's proportions, pose, and shading would fit in with pretty much any modern official art, but then there's the trainer who is still very classic.
The trainer designs definitely became more "rounded" from Gen V onward. I guess Ohmura drawing some of the art led to that for the sake of consistency.

The trainers seem to be drawn by the person who designed them nowadays, as opposed to the Pokemon which are usually drawn by one person. It's why I had the sort of dumb theory that Megumi Mizutani designed Chespin based on the mouth shapes she uses for some of her trainer designs.

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the trainer designs definitely became more "rounded" from Gen V onward. I guess Ohmura drawing some of the art led to that for the sake of consistency.

The trainers seem to be drawn by the person who designed them nowadays, as opposed to the Pokemon which are usually drawn by one person. It's why I had the sort of dumb theory that Megumi Mizutani designed Chespin based on the mouth shapes she uses for some of her trainer designs.
I'm pretty sure the official art is always drawn by Sugimori regardless of who made the design

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the official art is always drawn by Sugimori regardless of who made the design
Not for the trainers. I'm not on my PC right now so I don't have the comparison image, but there are differences between Sugimori, Ohmura, Mizutani, and take artwork.

Ohmura defintely drew most of the trainer art in Gen V and almost all of the Pokemon art for Sun/Moon. The latter is pretty much confirmed from stock TCG art crediting him as the illustrator.

A general rule of thumb is that Ohmura's art uses more vibrant colours and smoother outlines while Sugimori uses faded colours and has more jagged outlines.

Compare Magearna, Zygarde, and the Alolan form art to the rest of the Gen 7 art.

Last edited:

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Are there receipts for the "shinies generated by algorithm" claim? I've heard it before, but I'm pretty sure the ones from gen III on aren't.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's also Pokemon Colosseum, which basically came up with it's own rules for Shiny Pokemon.

The Cynaquil line had green flames instead of red.
vVDMA20.jpg

And hey look, pink butterfree!
5fjm8mie44mx.jpg

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i never went shiny hunting but despite playing every single game (not one per gen) and completing the pokedex in each gen i have never found one other than the ones you encounter anyway like the red gyrados.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Speaking of Colosseum, I modded my XD game to the XG version. Playing these games with Gen VI mechanics is wild. Such lively animations and the music just tickles me. I really hope SwSh can capture this feel.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want some reveals/news already. Hints, teases, or any form of communication from Game Freak would be appreciated at this point.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

Not since Generation VII

You can see, for example, Jangmo-o, Popplio and Salandit's official artwork is by Yusuke Ohmura
429px-Jangmo-oDragonMajesty52.jpg
429px-PopplioLostThunder65.jpg

429px-SalanditDoubleBlaze17.jpg

All the TCG that use official artwork from Gen I - Gen VI, including the ones that still appear in SM sets, list Ken Sugimori as the artist, regardless of who originally designed them. That's not the case with Gen VII's Pokémon.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just speaking of shinies one of my all time favorite request for Pokemon was to have another set of shiny Pokemon alongside the original with a different means to obtain them/different rates then a shiny.

Not more rare or less rare, just another alternate version to give collectors another run to obtain them.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Not since Generation VII

You can see, for example, Jangmo-o, Popplio and Salandit's official artwork is by Yusuke Ohmura
429px-Jangmo-oDragonMajesty52.jpg
429px-PopplioLostThunder65.jpg

429px-SalanditDoubleBlaze17.jpg

All the TCG that use official artwork from Gen I - Gen VI, including the ones that still appear in SM sets, list Ken Sugimori as the artist, regardless of who originally designed them. That's not the case with Gen VII's Pokémon.
Oh that's interesting then. Makes me wonder what made them change. Wasn't even really noticeable anyways so it's not a big deal in the end.

By the way, how does everyone feel about the art style of SWSH now that it's been a while? Speaking strictly of the style and not the quality of the graphics.
Personally I'm really glad they're moving in this direction, which is basically a slightly more realistic take on Sun and Moon (clouds, water, foliage, etc) with fancier shading for humans and Pokémon. Although I think the color palette is a bit of a let down, it looks a lot less vibrant and in some cases just odd. The sky could use more saturation, the tall grass is a different color than normal grass (which only worked in the older, more stylized looks if you ask me), the trees are very dark, shadows are way too blue for no apparent reason, and there's a pinkish hue almost on everything. I like how the cave we've seen actually looks way darker than what we were used to seeing though, and the snowy city had a really nice color scheme going on too.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Oh that's interesting then. Makes me wonder what made them change. Wasn't even really noticeable anyways so it's not a big deal in the end.

Sugimori said he was suffering from artist's block during the development of XY and he asked Ohmura to finish off the designs for Xerneas/Yveltal. It's probably why they swapped positions in SM where Sugimori was in charge of the trainer designs instead.

Ohmura is gone now so I wonder if they'll bring one of the guest artists to handle Pokemon designs or if Sugimori will do it.

By the way, how does everyone feel about the art style of SWSH now that it's been a while? Speaking strictly of the style and not the quality of the graphics.
Personally I'm really glad they're moving in this direction, which is basically a slightly more realistic take on Sun and Moon (clouds, water, foliage, etc) with fancier shading for humans and Pokémon. Although I think the color palette is a bit of a let down, it looks a lot less vibrant and in some cases just odd. The sky could use more saturation, the tall grass is a different color than normal grass (which only worked in the older, more stylized looks if you ask me), the trees are very dark, shadows are way too blue for no apparent reason, and there's a pinkish hue almost on everything. I like how the cave we've seen actually looks way darker than what we were used to seeing though, and the snowy city had a really nice color scheme going on too.
I'm glad they're building upon the SM style.

Everything in LGPE looked like plastic/wax figures. The proportions looked off too.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they're building upon the SM style.

Everything in LGPE looked like plastic/wax figures. The proportions looked off too.
Let's Go's strength was how clean it looked, but at the same time it was its downfall since not everything has to look clean. For example the cities in particular look really nice, but interiors are pretty awful as everything looks like simple, shiny plastic. Thankfully SWSH are a huge improvement in this sense but they need to work on making it look cleaner when it comes to natural environments. And obviously the character proportions were totally busted but that all was a clear choice for differentiation.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Let's Go's strength was how clean it looked, but at the same time it was its downfall since not everything has to look clean. For example the cities in particular look really nice, but interiors are pretty awful as everything looks like simple, shiny plastic. Thankfully SWSH are a huge improvement in this sense but they need to work on making it look cleaner when it comes to natural environments. And obviously the character proportions were totally busted but that all was a clear choice for differentiation.
I don't know I think the environments look fine as far as cleanness goes, could be a bit more polished perhaps but comparing to Let's Go I just dislike everything about the shiny plastic style. The colors are more muted compared to S/M but that works for a country that is based off Britain as opposed to Hawaii and I prefer the more natural look. It's not a stunner, but the game looks quite good to me. I'm a bit disappointed that the Pokemon appear to have the same washed-out coloring but they look a lot better in HD for sure.

PS: What's with the Digimon avatars?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know I think the environments look fine as far as cleanness goes, could be a bit more polished perhaps but comparing to Let's Go I just dislike everything about the shiny plastic style. The colors are more muted compared to S/M but that works for a country that is based off Britain as opposed to Hawaii and I prefer the more natural look. It's not a stunner, but the game looks quite good to me. I'm a bit disappointed that the Pokemon appear to have the same washed-out coloring but they look a lot better in HD for sure.
It does fit Britain more, but I prefer vibrant colors for Pokémon games in general. Same reason why XY looked a lot worse than ORAS to me lol. Curious to see how they'll handle Sinnoh in the eventual remakes, hopefully it ends up being more colorful.
Oh and the Pokémon aren't as washed out as the 3DS games, it's easy to see if you look at Pikachu, even though it's still not as saturated as Let's Go

PS: What's with the Digimon avatars?
We lost an avatar bet about Detective Pikachu lol

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
This is an interesting example, because you can tell that although Shiny Charizard was originally more purple than black, the final design is probably inspired by the algorithm-derived shiny design that appears in GS. It was reinterpreted in artwork, and eventually standardized in its game appearance as well.
l6jdqX1.png

That's the approach they have been following in making existing shinies more varied. They don't change them radically, but they exaggerate on the features that make them somewhat distinct. It's not just Charizard, but a number of Pokémon. I like that approach, because on top of respecting the original design, it forces them to work within limitations and that usually produces interesting results. I do agree of course that they should do more of these mini shiny redesigns for more Pokémon that still have a very conservative shiny design.

That has to be the ugliest piece of official Pokemon art i've ever seen (is it a fan edit?)

By the way, how does everyone feel about the art style of SWSH now that it's been a while?

It looks good in some areas not so good in others. The lake water looks bad.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

I really don't know what to think
idontknowney.gif

I know a lot of people love that they're taking the "more realistic" approach, but as I said hundreds of pages ago lol I think it just doesn't work for Pokémon. Simply because the Pokémon creatures themselves will always look cartoony, and so the trainers (this anime-ish style) so they just will look weird. That's why I love the Let's Go style. This plastic-y look that many criticize, I think it just works fine for Pokémon.

What I feel is that, when they try to do graphics that are realistic, but still look like they were made in a computer, that just looks bad. Contrary to that, if they go for a more cartoonish style, they can do all sorts of crazy things, play with different colors, textures, shapes, and it'll be fine because it's a cartoon. In Let's Go my main complaint was the proportions of the buildings and trainers and other elements, but that's because they tried to keep the blocky shapes from the Game Boy games.

Now, let's say one day they create these amazing graphics that look like a real life video. I will still feel that it's not right. I think Pokémon needs to start creating/finding a signature style for the franchise. It needs buildings, plants, skies, floors, walls, menus, etc that you see them and you immediately know they're from a Pokémon game. Realistic elements are just so generic, I think a cartoonish style would be easier to define, like Super Mario games or something.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well get news this week. 😭

In the meantime I've been working on a FakeDex to spend the time...

I also made a Fake Leak but it died in the water even though I thought I had good ideas.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
So incredibly happy. I was worried they'd continue with the LGPE style, so to see them returning to the SM style and building on it has me very pleased. Could not imagine such a bland, plastic-y style like LGPE's being appealing no matter what the setting is.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Looks better than anything from the S/M era, tbh.

Id expect it to. Im just hoping some elements like the bodys of water were just unfinished, because what even are those reflections? it all looks so auto generated in some half assed realistic style compared to the models which are cel shaded

edit: or are you talking about the 2D artwork? then id tell you youre out of your mind because that image is a disaster.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I can't believe we really might go through May without any new info.

Will we get new stuff at E3? Or will we have to wait until Worlds? I feel if we're not getting any May reveals those are the only two real options for when the pre-release really gets started.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
As long as we keep far away from Let's Go art style for the new generations it's all good with me.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not that fond of the art-style they are pushing. A thing with 3D pokemon is that they haven't captured, IMO the scale and charm of the spritework from gen 3 and 4. The relationship between models and buildings and the camera switching from aerial to more ground based makes it a lot less interesting and more same-y.

I know it's a difficult challenge, but i feel games like BOTW have resolved that in a brilliant way.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Well get news this week. 😭

In the meantime I've been working on a FakeDex to spend the time...

I also made a Fake Leak but it died in the water even though I thought I had good ideas.

I half work on a Fakedex of my own. But no drawing skills = I cant really make the starters how I write them down as. Sadness.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
Damn I can't believe we really might go through May without any new info.

Will we get new stuff at E3? Or will we have to wait until Worlds? I feel if we're not getting any May reveals those are the only two real options for when the pre-release really gets started.
E3 feels like a guarantee. Even if we get new info beforehand, I expect to see some new stuff at E3.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So this was my take on "Armor Evolution" I did for a fake leak that didn't go anywhere...basically, a defensive mechanic for once?

So there'd be 18 Armors for each Type, Elemental Armors. Any Pokemon can equip them.

Once per battle, a Pokemon can "Armor Set"---this causes them to basically use Protect on that turn (but it can't be bypassed by Feint Attack or such), as they equip the armor. They get a colored aura around them to signify the Type. They receive a small decrease in Speed, but in exchange get an increase in Defense or Special Defense---it'd be the opposite of what the Type was pre-Gen IV. Such as Fire and Water boosting Defense, but Bug and Fighting boosting Special Defense.

With the Armor equipped, the Pokemon is treated as that Type defensively, but retains the STAB of their natural Type. And each Elemental Armor has an additional effect, like Electric can paralyze with contact, Grass heals on Grassy Terrain, etc. These would override Abilities if said Pokemon's natural Ability would overlap, though I'm not sure how they'd figure
that out.

Some Pokemon would have a unique "armored look" when equipped with an Armor. It'd be the same look regardless of the Type of the Armor, but with a colored aura.

My ideas for the Legendaries followed this idea. I feel like being wolves they could be based on Romulus and Remus---my idea was "Romadeus" the Divine Assault Pokemon and Remedeus the Heavenly Guard Pokemon. They'd exist as their own Pokemon which would be basically a living armor shell, think a Zoid, but could be turned into Armor Hold Items. Then when on a Pokemon, they'red turn into "Wielded Formes". In this form, they're like armor with a shadowy wolf creature regardless of the Pokemon equipped with it. They'd have Steel-typing and the stats of the Legendaries, BUT the STAB and moves would be of the equipped Pokemon.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
1558227151328.png

If someone find the artist who made this mon, please send his links to me, it such a good design.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1558227151328.png

If someone find the artist who made this mon, please send his links to me, it such a good design.

Looks pretty good. Saw this on a PokéTuber video earlier. He's usually quick to call these things fake but this one he said the design and work look pretty convincing.

To me, they all look the same as in no different from the official stuff. I can't tell the difference.