• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I want some level of (game lore) realism with Pokémon following you. I didn't like how Let's Go did it.

Like if you're running along a route and you have a Bug type of a very slow Pokémon following you leave it behind and the game makes you wait for it to catch up. Or if you have a pre evo bug type out like Weedle it'll get attacked by a wild Pidgey looking for its lunch.

I don't like how Arcady it felt in Let's Go. A lot of the lore found in the Poké Dex was ruined for me lol..

Well, I kinda agree it would be better, but then it's more unlikely that it happens. If so then Shedinja shouldn't move, or Magcargo would be burning everything as you walk around lol or fish-like Pokémon would have trouble being on the ground.

It all goes back to what I keep saying: they can only get too accurate or "real" in a Pokémon game before it starts getting too complex. If they really wanted a game that mimics real life, it's not just about the elements of the overworld in terms of textures and lighting, but then proportions should be accurate too, physics, and the logic of which Pokémon can be in a given environment or not. In older games it made sense that they just had, for example, a certain sprite or sprites to depict trees or rocks, and it worked because they could just repeat it to fill a gap or trace/shape a route, but if they want to go for a more realistic style now, then it just looks weird to have these dozens of trees perfectly ordered, the same size and shape, and just like 3 or 4 different tones.

If they're just gonna be kinda real, kinda accurate, imo it just ends up looking lame. Because it just highlights the inaccurate things. Of course I would never expect them to create 3000 different trees to fill the region and look realistic, that's why I prefer a more cartoonish, videogame-ish overall style because that way they can create their own universe, with their own rules and logics, and they don't have to justify why a Wailord looks so small in comparison to other Pokémon, or how is Goldeen floating in the air, or why are there bright pink trees with blue dots or something.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I kinda agree it would be better, but then it's more unlikely that it happens. If so then Shedinja shouldn't move, or Magcargo would be burning everything as you walk around lol or fish-like Pokémon would have trouble being on the ground.

It all goes back to what I keep saying: they can only get too accurate or "real" in a Pokémon game before it starts getting too complex. If they really wanted a game that mimics real life, it's not just about the elements of the overworld in terms of textures and lighting, but then proportions should be accurate too, physics, and the logic of which Pokémon can be in a given environment or not. In older games it made sense that they just had, for example, a certain sprite or sprites to depict trees or rocks, and it worked because they could just repeat it to fill a gap or trace/shape a route, but if they want to go for a more realistic style now, then it just looks weird to have these dozens of trees perfectly ordered, the same size and shape, and just like 3 or 4 different tones.

If they're just gonna be kinda real, kinda accurate, imo it just ends up looking lame. Because it just highlights the inaccurate things. Of course I would never expect them to create 3000 different trees to fill the region and look realistic, that's why I prefer a more cartoonish, videogame-ish overall style because that way they can create their own universe, with their own rules and logics, and they don't have to justify why a Wailord looks so small in comparison to other Pokémon, or how is Goldeen floating in the air, or why are there bright pink trees with blue dots or something.

Its just impossible with the type of game it is. Not only is Goldeen floating in the air, it should be suffocating because its not in water if you want it to be "realistic"
A light hearted pet-battle jrpg benefits a lot more from keeping it arcade style than any kind of realism for both gameplay and tone.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of nice. Not that I followed previous Pokemon release cycles, but that thread complaining about everything being spoiled is a bit telling. Using E3 as a platform for showcasing the goods is fine by me
by the time E3 rolled around, we didn't get that much for SM. the "spoilers" stuff didn't come until after E3

Oct 25, 2017
Sinnoh Remake, bro. Believe.
5FxD18t.gif

stickers2.png

Yeaaa baby!!

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Exclusive to the Sinnoh remake because GameFreak.
You unfortunately ain't wrong
Such a simple fun and easy thing to carry over 😔. Just a nice fun way to add more style to ya team
I love this feature, but it's one of the few things that makes sense to keep exclusive to a region to make it feel special. But since they already moved to 3D I wouldn't be surprised if they started recycling systems more often without scrapping them now.

Oct 25, 2017
I love this feature, but it's one of the few things that makes sense to keep exclusive to a region to make it feel special. But since they already moved to 3D I wouldn't be surprised if they started recycling systems more often without scrapping them now.
I feel like I read this style post for every feature they ditch tho

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Surely they can make regions feel unique and interesting without simply cutting features

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
I had completely forgotten about Poke Seals! I remember loving them. It's been too long since I played gen 4.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game Freak banned their own Pokemon names from the GTS.

They don't know about subtle censorship.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The more customization options in these games, the better. So I'm all for bringing seals back.
I love the animations of each pokeball, specially when going for a theme, like a dark or ghost team captured entirely with Dusk Balls, and seals just helps fill the gap.

Electivirer

May 15, 2018
Yeah they should do an exclusive store for Pokéballs in one of the towns and have all the regular ones + a pair of different ones each week or something like that.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Pokeballs definitely need an update, and thankfully the Apricorn balls were brought back in gen 7, that is a good enough start. There is only so many conditions you can create without making it too complicated however, so if they do make some new ones it has to be dealt with care. If anything, the one new ball we should have seen in the last gens was a quartet of Seasonal Balls, depending on the season and if the Pokemon can be found easier during that season it has a higher catch rate. But nope, for some reason Gamefreak ditched seasons so there would be no point of them.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That interview sounds good to me, GF need to get as much experience away from handhelds as they can and we knew that Town was being made anyway so it's not exactly surprising that they have another team doing that. To me it sounds like the experience they are getting from other projects will be used to make Pokemon better in the future.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. They literally say

But nobody's reading beyond the headlines.
He also literally says:
"What that means is that Game Freak as a company is prioritising Gear Project, which is production team number one, more than Pokémon in general. We are always trying to create something that is equally exciting, or more exciting than Pokémon."

It's not exactly a wild leap to say that Game Freak's more focused on its own (self-published) efforts than it is Pokémon based off this interview. Granted, the interviewee is director of one of those games, so he isn't an unbiased source, but still.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Yeah like I said in the thread about the topic at hand this is great news. R&D functionally means Pokemon will stay with one consistent engine for years to come instead of changing each gen, and priority for new projects translates to them shifting the work force around to help them gain experience in other fields. Basically its all to help enhance Pokemon through sheer experience, trial and error, and actual focus.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You think the new trailer for the Mewtwo film on Oha Suta might show off the rumored "new Pokemon" that seemed to replace Donphan?

Oct 25, 2017
gamefreak or tpc or nintendo, whoever makes pokebank needs to hurry up and tell us if the fans who made living dexes wasted their time.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
gamefreak or tpc or nintendo, whoever makes pokebank needs to hurry up and tell us if the fans who made living dexes wasted their time.
When they made Bank they explicitly said it was the platform for transferring Pokémon going forward and even mentioned examples like using the same Pokémon you had as a child when you have grandchildren. Don't worry lol