• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
If they would just start retconning things that would be so much better:
-lower levels of pokemon that have no business evolving that late
-remove the incenses and just make babies a natural part of the line so they're not weirdly segregated
-remove the thousand trade evolution items and just make them evolve by trade normally
-tangentially related but consolidate all the mega stones into one, singular, item. I know that removes some slight strategy to them since you'd only have one on a team and some like to have multiple but there are 50 of these jerks and and it's only been half-way enjoyable finding them all in ORAS.
Have Leafeon and Glacieon evovle through the Leaf and Ice Stone respectively.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What makes me suspicious is Houndoom having a Galarian Form because presumably they'd make Galarian Mega Houndoom. Same with Mega Gardevoir.

In fact none of the Alola Variants had Megas for that reason.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What makes me suspicious is Houndoom having a Galarian Form because presumably they'd make Galarian Mega Houndoom. Same with Mega Gardevoir.

In fact none of the Alola Variants had Megas for that reason.

If this were real

I can see them ignoring the Mega Forms for the Galarians Forms and give a lame reason why they didn't give those forms a mega evolution

Or

They may go the extra mile and include a Regional Mega evolution. That would be hype and have me giving Game Freak some well earned respect.

I'm just hoping for some good ice types this gen. Regional form or new, doesn't matter to me.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Of all the new gen gimmicks that pokemon has introduced, regional variants are definitely my favourite. They give new life to oft forgotten pokémon.

Sandshrew/slash and muk are my personal favorites so far, galarian forms would be more than welcome.

Though I agree regional variants are cool, and even Mega Evolutions were kinda fun for a while, for me nothing beats giving a full new evolution/pre-evolution to an older Pokémon.

But yeah, Galarian forms could be cool. Although I think that kinda worked more for Alola for this concept of being a remote archipelago, so who knows if they'll bring it to Galar. After all, Unova nor Kalos had regional variants.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they did. Even at the start of gen 7 they went back and gave old Pokémon new abilities and some a slight stat boost. I ran into Pelipper quite a bit because of Drizzle on Battle Spot Singles.

I just think we need more of that in a mass scale to shake up the competitive scene.
They nerfed Gengar really bad on Gen 7 by making Cursed Body its sole ability instead of Levitate.
They revise mons every gen.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Started changing the coloration. Isn't this basically just the shiny's color scheme?
ypGCZRc.png

Just the fact that all the supposed regional variants are darker colors and/or given weapons, I have to assume it's just a fanboy deviantart fever dream

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, since Gen VI they've been updating BSTs, but it hasn't been super widespread and for most Pokemon it hasn't been by much. There's no reason to think they won't continue doing it.

The only Pokemon whose BST changes actually helped a ton I think is Masquerain, who is now a beast and fast enough to pull off a Quiver Dance without dying, boosting the now decent BSTs to monster degreees.

went from 80 SpeAtk and 60 Spd to 100 and 80 respectively.

Masquerain/Lilligant/Volcarona Quiver Dance Wombo Combo ftw

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
The only Pokemon whose BST changes actually helped a ton I think is Masquerain, who is now a beast and fast enough to pull off a Quiver Dance without dying, boosting the now decent BSTs to monster degreees.

Made it actually somewhat threatening in the story too, on Guzma's squad

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
If they would just start retconning things that would be so much better:
-lower levels of pokemon that have no business evolving that late
-remove the incenses and just make babies a natural part of the line so they're not weirdly segregated
-remove the thousand trade evolution items and just make them evolve by trade normally
-tangentially related but consolidate all the mega stones into one, singular, item. I know that removes some slight strategy to them since you'd only have one on a team and some like to have multiple but there are 50 of these jerks and and it's only been half-way enjoyable finding them all in ORAS.

Hell just go ahead and make trade evolutions a choice; add in an 'Evo Stone' to evolve any Pokemon that previously needed to be traded and remove that arbitrary bullshit from a modern game.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Anything against japanese VGC players who use PerishTrap and forfeit the match as soon as turn 1 doesn't go their way is cool in my book.

Oct 26, 2017

Dugtrio also got a rather large boost from its +20 base attack.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Can I request that trade no longer be a method of evolution, and those Pokemon would just evolve from levelling like the rest? I don't see what it is about Graveler, Onix or Clamperl that necessitates trading them to get them to evolve.
Or have there be a rare and hard to find "Trade Stone" item as an alternate option

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I find Masquerain's stat increases interesting mainly because it is a counterpart to Araquanid, who are both available at different parts of the day, similar to how Parasect and Shiinotic are available on different parts of the day in their encounters. Only difference is that Parasect didn't get a stat boost so Shiinotic is cursed with a low Base Stat Total.

The most surprising stat increase is Cryogonal, which I welcomed since I felt its physical Defence is too low, so now it takes physical attacks far better than before even if it's still not sturdy on the physical front.

Thank you for reading.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018

My wish would be to have one Stone by type which combines Mega Stones and Z Stones.

Put a Fire Stone on a Charizard? Boom, you can Mega Evolve to M-Charizard Y, OR use a Fire Z-Move!

Dragon Stone ? Mega Zard X or Dragon Z-Move.

There is just too much clutter in the objects.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What do you guys think they could talk about for 15 minutes? Even being generous with time not dedicated to news we still have about 10 minutes of direct left. Most likely scenario is that we get a trailer in the style of the SM ones with a run-through of the details by Ohmori. Could honestly see them talking about the major gimmick though seeing as it is probably tied to all the gyms in the game. Yes i'm aware Z-Moves and Megas were revealed in August

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What do you guys think they could talk about for 15 minutes? Even being generous with time not dedicated to news we still have about 10 minutes of direct left. Most likely scenario is that we get a trailer in the style of the SM ones with a run-through of the details by Ohmori. Could honestly see them talking about the major gimmick though seeing as it is probably tied to all the gyms in the game. Yes i'm aware Z-Moves and Megas were revealed in August
Introducing the new gym mechanic whatever that is, introducing new pokemon, maybe just talking about the regions setting and showcasing some of the areas, maybe show a gym leader or two. Perhaps reveal Galarian forms if that's gonna happen.

Might talk about functionality with Pokemon Home as well, I could see them announcing a bonus or something really far in advance to give people time to do it, like "transfer a Meltan to Sword and Shield using Pokemon Home to get *****"

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Regarding new pokemon, I'm expecting national bird, bug, rodent, legendaries and that"s it. And a big focus on the starters in-game with the new petting mechanic.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
My wish would be to have one Stone by type which combines Mega Stones and Z Stones.

Put a Fire Stone on a Charizard? Boom, you can Mega Evolve to M-Charizard Y, OR use a Fire Z-Move!

Dragon Stone ? Mega Zard X or Dragon Z-Move.

There is just too much clutter in the objects.
Yep. Mega Crystals are Z-Crystals for each type which grant mega evos to previous Pokemon, Z-Crystals are for the exclusive moves, and Ultra Stones are new Ultra Evos for pokemon beyond Necrozma which grant a move AND a mega. This also lets new megas and Z-moves happen in tandem, and it would lessen the clutter.
-Professor and Rival
-First Gym and how gyms work
-Legendary Pokemon
-7 Regular Pokemon
-New Pokedex and Pokedevice

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Said some of this earlier in the thread but:

- Release date
- Cover legendaries
- A few early-game Pokemom
- Summary/start of journey with new characters
- Tease/reveal of new mechanic
- Stay tuned for more at E3

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I find Masquerain's stat increases interesting mainly because it is a counterpart to Araquanid, who are both available at different parts of the day, similar to how Parasect and Shiinotic are available on different parts of the day in their encounters. Only difference is that Parasect didn't get a stat boost so Shiinotic is cursed with a low Base Stat Total.

The most surprising stat increase is Cryogonal, which I welcomed since I felt its physical Defence is too low, so now it takes physical attacks far better than before even if it's still not sturdy on the physical front.

Thank you for reading.
They still didn't take away Attract from Cryogonal. 😒

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
They still didn't take away Attract from Cryogonal. 😒
Speaking of Attract from Cryogonal, I am curious on what its earlier design look like, since some of the Pokemon have some leftover elements from their earlier designs that weren't changed. Like for example, there's Hydreigon's track-like pattern on its belly, which is confirmed to be an earlier design from a tank. In the same vein, I wonder what Gardevoir's design was like since it is still in the Amorphous group, which is normally reserved for blob-like Pokemon such as many Ghosts, Muk and Weezing.

Thank you for reading.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
was that rumor that Gallade was originally designed for Gen 3 ever proven true? I find that Gardevoir can be both male and female a point against that

Feb 24, 2018
I hope the player character has emotion in cutscenes and dialogue and doesn't just creepily smile as serious and sad stuff is happening like learning your friend has been kidnapped.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They nerfed Gengar really bad on Gen 7 by making Cursed Body its sole ability instead of Levitate.
They revise mons every gen.

My soul hurts because of the Gengar nerf. Yes Game Freak does go back and adjust some Pokémon. I'm hoping they do that on a mass scale. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to nerfs, GF usually looks to VGC. It's why Gale Wings and Parental Bond were toned down. Still won't nerf Landorus-T lol.

No idea what the logic is for their stat buffs, though. Some of them seem pointless.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to nerfs, GF usually looks to VGC. It's why Gale Wings and Parental Bond were toned down. Still won't nerf Landorus-T lol.

No idea what the logic is for their stat buffs, though. Some of them seem pointless.
does Lando even need nerfs? is it that pervasive in singles?

also, #BuffIce. just give it a water resistance or something. and increased chance of freezing if used by ice types (same for other statuses) since ice moves get used on everything but ice types

mnk

Nov 11, 2017

Thank you for reading.
I've always been weirdly fond of Cryogonal, so I was happy to see it buffed. What surprised me more though was that Volbeat and Illumise also got 30 point buffs out of nowhere. Which also made me happy because I'm also weirdly fond of Volbeat (used one in Emerald).

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure that it's one of the most used Pokemon in both formats.

I'm not saying it needs a nerf but it's strange that GF hasn't tried to lower its usage based on theur previous actions.

Last edited:

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
In the same vein, I wonder what Gardevoir's design was like since it is still in the Amorphous group, which is normally reserved for blob-like Pokemon such as many Ghosts, Muk and Weezing.

Thank you for reading.
Probably a more flowing, voluminous skirt like the mega, rather than the strips of skin it has now. Everyone was so freaked out by sylveon's flesh ribbons, but gardevoir was over here waving around meter-long, hip-mounted flaps of skin for generations before that.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
It absolutely does, and Smogon's bizarre refusal to ban it to Uber has broken the OU metagame. It shuts down so many other Pokemon and has so many viable sets that it's incredibly difficult to strategise around; there are very few safe switches into it and all of them can be very easily countered with a U-turn into the right partner. Its only real weakness is its Speed, which can be remedied with paralysis/Sticky Web support or a Scarf

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Yo. Could we finally get a Nerf to the most broken move in the game. It's been more than three gens. SR.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure that it's one of the most used Pokemon in both formats.

I'm not saying it needs a nerf but it's strange that GF hasn't tried to lower its usage based on theur previous actions.
at least in doubles (VGC at least) it's usage taken a hit when Intimidate Inceneroar came out. Lando-T still charts high and probably still will until there's yet another pokemon that can do the role or just has a better counter