• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that basically the Alola Pokédex? Also, why not Mamoswine? lol

Mamoswine needs more bulk or resistances. Yeah it has 110 base HP and 80 base Defense with a low 60 base Special Defense which isn't the worse out there but it doesn't take hits well at all. Even with thick fat Mamoswine is always a risk to get OHKO because it's base speed is only 80. So make it faster Game Freak or give it alittle more bulk. Or a Ice type move similar to Dragon Dance or Quiver Dance! Ooohhh I'm drooling 🤤 already at the thought.

Mamoswine is one of my favorite Ice type Pokémon. I want to see it get some love.

Oct 28, 2017
England

I see we're still at the stage where people think the new Pokemon will have any relation to the real-life inspiration for region, despite the Hawaiian region having Pokemon based on Koalas and Orangutans, the French region with Pandas and Frilled-Neck-Lizards, and the NYC region with it's Polar Bears and sarcophagi.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At the very least it seemed like a lot of Alolan Pokemon were based on animals found in simillar climates or based on animals associated with island areas.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I see we're still at the stage where people think the new Pokemon will have any relation to the real-life inspiration for region, despite the Hawaiian region having Pokemon based on Koalas and Orangutans, the French region with Pandas and Frilled-Neck-Lizards, and the NYC region with it's Polar Bears and sarcophagi.
If they're following a precedent its pretty likely. The Alola dex is really impressive with its biological references, a lot of which come from a tropical climate similar to Hawaii at the very least.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
It absolutely does, and Smogon's bizarre refusal to ban it to Uber has broken the OU metagame. It shuts down so many other Pokemon and has so many viable sets that it's incredibly difficult to strategise around; there are very few safe switches into it and all of them can be very easily countered with a U-turn into the right partner. Its only real weakness is its Speed, which can be remedied with paralysis/Sticky Web support or a Scarf
Because it being centralizing is something OU needs. In this Gen, we have something close to that pipe dream of several Pokemon being viable. That, in turn, makes it impossible to create a team that covers everything and makes some matches won not by who played more skillfully, but by blindsing the opponent with more esoteric stuff.
This inconsistency is what made Smogon transition more towards tournaments rather than ladders.
Landorus-T centralizes the meta, and thus limits the amount of threats that need to be accounted for while team building.
Several atempts of decentralize OU have been made before. Usually, the meta re centralizes around a new threat, or so many new threats appear that it becomes impossible to deal with them all.

Of course, that's my perspective as an outsider that more lurks than plays competitively. If in your experience Lando T is busted it might as well be.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
60 new pokemon , 20 of which are legendary(?)

I'm all for a knights of the round table and other arthurian legend pokemon, but I highly doubt they would go so had into the theming. Unfortunately.
It feels like they do 50% region appropriate designs and 50% designs they have laying around that they like.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it being centralizing is something OU needs. In this Gen, we have something close to that pipe dream of several Pokemon being viable. That, in turn, makes it impossible to create a team that covers everything and makes some matches won not by who played more skillfully, but by blindsing the opponent with more esoteric stuff.
This inconsistency is what made Smogon transition more towards tournaments rather than ladders.
Landorus-T centralizes the meta, and thus limits the amount of threats that need to be accounted for while team building.
Several atempts of decentralize OU have been made before. Usually, the meta re centralizes around a new threat, or so many new threats appear that it becomes impossible to deal with them all.

Of course, that's my perspective as an outsider that more lurks than plays competitively. If in your experience Lando T is busted it might as well be.
a wider pool of usable pokes is more interesting to watch to me. after a while I get tired of seeing the same pokemon over and over again. of course, a meta will start to revolve around a core, but usually the meta evolves before I get tired of it. and I'm damn tired of Gen 7's meta.

all the more reason there needs to be a regional dex group in Gen 8

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
My favourite buff was Mantine. It's one of my favourite gen 2 pokemon, and is one of the only special defense walls in the game, at 140 SD.
Before it had 65 HP, which just wasnt enough, which was buffed by gen 7 to 85 HP.

And Flygon getting Dragon Dance was great too.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
My favourite buff was Mantine. It's one of my favourite gen 2 pokemon, and is one of the only special defense walls in the game, at 140 SD.
Before it had 65 HP, which just wasnt enough, which was buffed by gen 7 to 85 HP.

And Flygon getting Dragon Dance was great too.

While the extra HP on Mantine is nice, it finally gaining Roost was a bigger deal for it.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Random question but you know Koffing evolves in Weezing, well why Weezing not evolve in Choking yet it's a Pokémon begging to be created

Acercus Please

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
My favourite buff was Mantine.

How do you pronounce Mantine?
idontknowney.gif
Lately in the anime they've pronounced it as MAN-teen but I swear it used to be MAN-tah-een, well I'm really not sure how to write it lol but it would be as if you were reading Mantain with Spanish pronunciation.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How do you pronounce Mantine?
idontknowney.gif
Lately in the anime they've pronounced it as MAN-teen but I swear it used to be MAN-tah-een, well I'm really not sure how to write it lol but it would be as if you were reading Mantain with Spanish pronunciation.
I've always pronounced it as Man-Tyen (like time but with an N) as a portmanteau of Manta and Brine

Last edited:

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I first read it I read it as Man-teen, but in the movie 3 dub they say Man-tye-n so that's what it became in my head for years.

It's worth noting that its Japanese name is pronounced Manta-een

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I hope we get some great single stage Pokemon this gen.

Honestly nothing has ever lived up to gen 1 in that regard with Lapras, Aerodactyl, and Snorlax.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
I hope we get some great single stage Pokemon this gen.

Honestly nothing has ever lived up to gen 1 in that regard with Lapras, Aerodactyl, and Snorlax.
Turtonator always felt to me like the new Gen I Magmar, introduced as a single stage.
If anything Gen VII gave us awesome ones like Oricorio, Drampa, Minior, Anchor-whose-name-I-forgot-due-to-it-being-so-fricking-hidden...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Turtonator always felt to me like the new Gen I Magmar, introduced as a single stage.
If anything Gen VII gave us awesome ones like Oricorio, Drampa, Minior, Anchor-whose-name-I-forgot-due-to-it-being-so-fricking-hidden...
fighting Acerola's Dhelmise was a trip since it was the first time I ever seen one

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that SWSH doesn't hide away the new Pokemon like gen 7, SM in particular, did:
-Bruxish was slightly more common by being found on 3 routes, but only at a 20% chance with the rare spot
-Dhelmise was only found on one (1) fishing spot at either 1 or 10% depending on if its bubbling
-Sandyghast was a 20% field event encounter (the rest being 80% staryu) on one beach that you probably won't be on for long
-Passimian/Oranguru & Comfey were 5% encounters each and couldn't show up in SOS encounters
-Mareanie was SOS exclusive because of the Corsola connection
-Komala is a 10% encounter
-While not quite the same, shout out to SM Crabominable only being available at the final dungeon

And there's an assortment of other Pokemon where they're 20% max on one route or location, though how annoying that is varies depending on how populated the area is. Rockruff, for instance, was only at Ten Karat Hill an optional side area in SM at 20% (but a lot of pokemon had a 20% and Spinda was rarer).

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I hope that SWSH doesn't hide away the new Pokemon like gen 7, SM in particular, did:
-Bruxish was slightly more common by being found on 3 routes, but only at a 20% chance with the rare spot
-Dhelmise was only found on one (1) fishing spot at either 1 or 10% depending on if its bubbling
-Sandyghast was a 20% field event encounter (the rest being 80% staryu) on one beach that you probably won't be on for long
-Passimian/Oranguru & Comfey were 5% encounters each and couldn't show up in SOS encounters
-Mareanie was SOS exclusive because of the Corsola connection
-Komala is a 10% encounter
-While not quite the same, shout out to SM Crabominable only being available at the final dungeon

And there's an assortment of other Pokemon where they're 20% max on one route or location, though how annoying that is varies depending on how populated the area is. Rockruff, for instance, was only at Ten Karat Hill an optional side area in SM at 20% (but a lot of pokemon had a 20% and Spinda was rarer).
Nah I want more of this.

That Mareanie encounter method was genius, how they hear the wounded Corsola crying for help so come to prey on them.
Just going to a new route and running around in the grass for a bit to catch everything is so lame.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I want more of this.

That Mareanie encounter method was genius, how they hear the wounded Corsola crying for help so come to prey on them.
Just going to a new route and running around in the grass for a bit to catch everything is so lame.
My problem is not necessarily the methods, it's that they're needlessly rare while doing so.
You can spend a long time SOS chaining Corsola waiting for the Mareanie to show up because the SOS encounter tables are stuffed with Corsolas.
There is no reason for Sandygast to be a 20% encounter when the only other option is 80% Staryu
Dhelmise is already locked to a single town with a single fishing spot, why does it also have to be a 1 or 10% chance and why are 50% of the encounters Magikarp.

Also most of the pokemon I'm talking about aren't even specially hidden! You're running around the grass for a while looking for some of these!

New Pokemon should have way more priority in being noticeable. If they have a gimmicky encounter method, like Sandygast or Mareanie, tweak the percents to be more common. USUM helped this a bit with some of them, like Dhelmise going to a more common 35% and wasn't hurt by it

In contrast, I am mostly okay with things like the weather-exclusive SOS encounters since those are all old Pokemon. It's annoying, but they're not locking away brand new Pokemon that I may never see on a play through even after hours of grinding so its fine. Generally. Never did find that Gabite in any playthrough....

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
My problem is not necessarily the methods, it's that they're needlessly rare while doing so.
You can spend a long time SOS chaining Corsola waiting for the Mareanie to show up because the SOS encounter tables are stuffed with Corsolas.
There is no reason for Sandygast to be a 20% encounter when the only other option is 80% Staryu
Dhelmise is already locked to a single town with a single fishing spot, why does it also have to be a 1 or 10% chance and why are 50% of the encounters Magikarp.

Also most of the pokemon I'm talking about aren't even specially hidden! You're running around the grass for a while looking for some of these!

New Pokemon should have way more priority in being noticeable. If they have a gimmicky encounter method, like Sandygast or Mareanie, tweak the percents to be more common. USUM helped this a bit with some of them, like Dhelmise going to a more common 35% and wasn't hurt by it

In contrast, I am mostly okay with things like the weather-exclusive SOS encounters since those are all old Pokemon. It's annoying, but they're not locking away brand new Pokemon that I may never see on a play through even after hours of grinding so its fine. Generally. Never did find that Gabite in any playthrough....
See I just fundamentally disagree.

If anything I think the shiny new Pokemon are the ones you should have to hunt down and potentially never see.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If anything I think the shiny new Pokemon are the ones you should have to hunt down and potentially never see.
That's lame. I agree a few Pokemon can be like that, but these are Pokemon indigenous to the region. Not to mention there is no clear indication these Pokemon even exist in these games besides some obscure Pokedex entry.

There is a difference between say Gible/Bagon in terms of being located in a specific spot or portion that is obscure and most people won't explore. To extremely low percentage rates, possibly hidden behind another obscure method with rates of its own.

This is why I always hate things like Heracros in tree bushes, the Honey Trees in DPP, Feebas, and most of the "hard" to obtain Pokemon in Sun and Moon. Your making something difficult for no reason.

I actually spent hours playing the 3DS port of Silver because I always wanted Heracross on my team, but was never able too do to how difficult it is to find him. I didn't feel good spending hours trying get him. I felt pissed and just said' "this is a older game" as a way to justify this shitty game design.

You want something rare? Make it shiny Pokemon or things like X and Y Butterfly Pokemon having different wing designs. Pikachu with different hats. Just have rare cosmetic Pokemon. Yes some Pokemon in general can have low rates or be harder to find. Just stop hiding them behind things like fishing, or with such low rates, or in very specific tiles that are different for every game. My God, it's just not good gameplay.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

that defeats one of the reason people even enjoy new regions. seeing new shit. hold that back and people will just complain about how the pokemon line up is lackluster. and they'd be right. throw in the tedium of searching for the pokemon, burnout happens sooner than later. I sure as shit don't enjoy spending 20 mins running through grass with my fingers crossed

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a problem with encounter rates as long as they aren't as dumb as the ones in gen 4.

that defeats one of the reason people even enjoy new regions. seeing new shit. hold that back and people will just complain about how the pokemon line up is lackluster. and they'd be right. throw in the tedium of searching for the pokemon, burnout happens sooner than later. I sure as shit don't enjoy spending 20 mins running through grass with my fingers crossed
At the same time making the new stuff harder to find can make them seem more rare and exciting to players.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind some rare encounters but having the majority of what I run into be the same characters reused over and over and over isn't fun to me. At least have the regional dex be filled with older monsters that haven't been seen in a while.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind some rare encounters but having the majority of what I run into be the same characters reused over and over and over isn't fun to me. At least have the regional dex be filled with older monsters that haven't been seen in a while.
A lot of those are Pokemon that people don't care about like Stantler though.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018

I agree but this has to be the minority of the new Pokemon, Pokemon that are specifically native to a region. And shit like Feebas in RS is just ludicrous. But I do enjoy the hunt for a shiny new rare Pokemon.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
I always disliked how Marill was like a 1% encounter in one cave in Gold in Silver in spite of featuring in a lot of the pre-release hype.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I would honestly like if more pokemon like bears and dragon types to be actually walking on 4 legs for once. I hate that 80% of pokemons we got all walk in 2 legs... like wtf is this shit.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of those are Pokemon that people don't care about like Stantler though.
good thing Stantlers are rare in newer gens. I saw Dhelmise for the first time at teh E4 and then I wanted to catch one. except that meant enduring SM's atrocious fishing mechanics. Game Freak can fuck right off with that.

they should change things by having rare pokemon be at the bottoms of dungeons and shit. make me spend some effort to get these instead of RNG bullshit

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
This is why I always hate things like Heracros in tree bushes, the Honey Trees in DPP, Feebas, and most of the "hard" to obtain Pokemon in Sun and Moon. Your making something difficult for no reason.
I was going to mention this as my favourite stuff hahaha.

Filling the pokedex is the best part of these games and making a lot of it challenging and puzzle like is half the fun.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
good thing Stantlers are rare in newer gens. I saw Dhelmise for the first time at teh E4 and then I wanted to catch one. except that meant enduring SM's atrocious fishing mechanics. Game Freak can fuck right off with that.

they should change things by having rare pokemon be at the bottoms of dungeons and shit. make me spend some effort to get these instead of RNG bullshit
GF changed the odds in USUM, so they obviously thought it should be easier to find as well lol.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017

As a smogoner, this sounds about right. I haven't played OU since gen 4 (I used to focus on Ubers, now Battle Spot), and afaik, most of my pals tell me that Landorus-T is more of a balancing force than some disgustingly broken threat or anything.

Also, I'm curious about what people mean by "they want more versatility". Like, there's already... 50ish Pokemon or so including megas, that are OU, and there's even more than just OU Pokemon viable in that metagame, take look at this! https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/formats/ou/

I think people need to realize to that there's more than just Smogon's OU. Gamefreak has 2-3 different offical formats of their own each year that differ drastically from the usual Smogon stuff. And for people that want to see a different set of mons, there's usage based tiers below OU, like Underused, that were basically made specfically so people could see different sets of Pokemon.

And that's not getting into the more niche, strange formats out there, such as Gamefreak's seasonal Battle Spot Specials, or balanced hackmons!

I don't mean to sound insulting with this, but I can't help but feel like people who complain about not enough Pokemon being viable aren't really that intune with competitive Pokemon. It isn't perfect, but I don't think a lack of viable Pokemon is really one of problems.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
Personally I like most of these kinda hidden ways to get Pokémon such as SOS battles but I do think if it's just "oh it's 1%" or something a new Pokémon's rate to appear should be bumped up a bit. At leaat nothing in Gen 7 is as bad as DP Munchlax...

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wednesday can't come soon enough, the internet is unbearable with all the 'leaks' amd rumors.