• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Fingers crossed this is a giant, open route.
unknown.png

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Having Pokemon in the overworld doesn't automatically mean they'll roam around stupidly. Imagine if they each had unique overworld behaviors, and learning how to approach and engage them were part of the mechanics.

Reading this after seeing that trailer absolutely breaks my heart. God, I want this game so badly.

Maybe one of the Pokeclone games will pull it off someday, if GameFreak isn't interested.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
D0auy18WoAE_YSB.jpg

Coming Late 2019

Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdA22Lh6Rwk
Link if it doesn't work

INFORMATION

1. NEW STARTERS

D0aucypU8AA862Q.jpg

2. NEW REGION: GALAR REGION

D0avx2hWkAEufVK.jpg

3. MEDIA/SCREENSHOTS

D0ayVL-WwAEDKUp.jpg
D0awRtHVAAEbDfc.jpg
D0awVANU0AEIPEf.jpg
D0auA0YUcAAp8Km.jpg
D0auLJoUUAEUGZU.jpg
D0atchjUYAIRmVo.jpg

Add ":orig" at the end of the twitter images to have the full resolution (for the map for example).
I think it works when inserting it in the page too:
D0avx2hWkAEufVK.jpg:orig

Edit: yep, Resetera recognises the data even if it doesn't end in ".jpg"

Last edited:

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
Is the camera for sure fixed? It shows it rotating around the character and various places...
Why are they sticking with the 3DS art style? Feels like a 3DS pro title
Implement free-roaming cameras, dang it

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let's go wasn't innovation. It was actual boring casual nonsense that completely robbed the core games of their identity. Really? No wild battles and Kanto restricted? I mean if it's for a first timer i'd understand but playing all the games in the series then getting to that... just NOPE. It's not innovative in any way.
It's exactly the kind of "innovation" the people complaining about random encounters or even wild battles being back want.
Yes and no. Let's Go was still at its core a remake of Yellow. It was a remake that made a lot of fantastic improvements that people hoped would carry over the core series, but a remake nonetheless. I guess I hope that either the next maingame actually rolls these improvements in or that we get Let's Go set in a new region.

The idea that we're stuck in this hellscape where we can either choose between nostalgia for locations or nostalgia for mechanics is the worst of both worlds.
Whether they are fantastic is up to debate and not some objective truth though.

Toadofsky

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
I'm not crazy about the starters, but they're fine. I have never played any true pokemon game, I play Pokemon Go and have played Snap and Puzzle League. This'll be my first true experience with the game so on that point I'm really looking forward to playing it.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
New players who were into Pokémon Go as a means to get them into the main series?

It's not an excuse. Pokémon is never gonna be this sprawling, open world RPG you want it to be.

Monster Hunter is never going to be taken of a Portable console because it sells millions in Japan

You are literally the same voice that keeps telling me impossible things are impossible

Im done listening

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Game will sell over 15 million, reviews will love it, GF will continue to do what they know the majority wants. Resetera will cry.
Just like COD, Battlefield, FIFA, Madden, etc. Games that leave no kind of lasting impression. For better or worse I guess, Gamefreak will keep doing what they're doing.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Nothing in that trailer really did anything to blow me away.

Fortunately, I went into this announcement expecting to not be blown away and for the game to not be this super grand re-imagining of the whole series that people were, for some reason, hyping themselves up to expect. So I actually wound up pleasantly surprised by what we saw. It's not a technical showcase, but Pokemon has never been a technical showcase for any hardware it's been on, and this region design and art really jives with me more than Alola ever did. The world looks pleasant to travel around in and that's fine with me.

I'm not going to try and draw too many conclusions about gameplay elements since there's so much we didn't see, so claiming that it's too samey is a bit premature. The scene of the trainer walking into a footie stadium is definitely intriguing and makes sense given the region. It's cool to see the sporting aspect of pokemon put into the context of a real-life sports venue like that. I wonder if there'll be some sort of large team-battling mechanic?

Like I said I'm not blown away by anything, but this is the most interested I've been by a first Pokemon reveal since Black/White, so to me this direct did its job.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm fine that this game isn't BotW Pokemon. I feel it'll just make Pokemon worse off long term and then we won't get games for plethora of years.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
I love so much of that world and the character designs. Like Kalos mixed with Colosseum.

But I can't shake how uninspired those starters are compared to the 7 other gens. Mostly from a shapes and silhouette perspective. I hope they evolve into really impressive things because we've seen lizards, monkeys, and bunnies before.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
It looks great to me, I actually was expecting a less detailed world, Pokémon itsn't a serie that push graphics at its limits, never has been, I wonder why some people was expecting this.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I saw this intresting theory:

The starters will be based off UK Sports:

Grass:
Cricket
Fire:
Football
Water:
Rugby

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
- The new starters are okay, i don't have a favourite yet: i like Sobble but i feel it will be the weaker one (because it is shy) so i'm maybe getting the Scorbunny. Grookey looks a bit generic maybe.
It's shy but the trailer basically hinted it's evo path is going to lead it to being either a tactical sniper or assassin.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda is not open world.

And then the developers took a chance, modernized the franchise, and made Breath of the Wild, which is one of the greatest games of our generation and set the bar for open world games.

Pokemon doesn't have to do it on that scale, but there is clearly no innovation here in terms of world design and immersion. We're once again presented with route linearity, fixed cameras, and random encounters. Although I'm sure we'll get some new gimmick (apparently "armored" Pokemon) to make things seem new.

Zelda has always had pretty big open areas in 3D, they just usually didn't have much going on in them.
Skyloft is what happens when you have needlessly open areas with nothing interesting to fill it with.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people are saying this is based on Scandinavia when 1) we had a shot of a football stadium, which is more closely associated with England than the Scandinavian countries, and 2) The Cerne Abbas giant is in the fucking trailer.

Oct 26, 2017
You guys have some silly expectations of a game mainly targeted at children. Pokemon is never gonna be ambitious.

Pixar movies are made for children, does that mean Pixar should never be ambitious with their stories?? Also, you do realize we have TONS of video game franchises made for children, and yet, they appeal to everyone with their design choices? You're using children as a bullshit excuse to not be ambitious.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's what I expected, though not what I was hoping to see. I'm not sure about the starters but I'm sure they'll grow on me. I really hope the game isn't as linear as it looks because that is the one thing that I felt they really needed to fix after Sun, though I suppose a linear structure could theoretically be ok if they cut the constant tutorials and cutscene roadblocks