• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Pokémon Sword and Shield announced. Coming Late 2019

Which starter will you choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 28, 2017
I don't know about that, considering there are no roaming Pokémon, which is a damn shame.
Yes but because GameFreak programmed terrible AI into the wild Pokemon apparently that means they were a bad idea. Instead of keeping visible Pokemon and actually not having them run into walls, just take them away completely :/

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why would one have to exclude the other?
I too want traditional wild battles. But I would like to have the choice to initiate them or not by running into pokémon roaming the overworld.
They would still be random encounters as they’d be randomly appearing, much like in Let’s Go.
The way they appear in Let's go sucks though. You want that choice in what you engage with but that kills any sort of surprise for me, unless they implemented a silhouette model.

Oct 25, 2017

Let's Go seems cleaner in many ways.
Lets Go isn't even ambitious in scope

They went very simple

If they iterated and pushed harder I wonder what they could come up with.

No question the Art Design is superior in Sword and Shield but thats by design. I don't think they had any intention of pushing the design envelope of Lets Go since it was supposed to be a remake of Red/Blue and callback to the tile design of the originals

There is ... potential that needs to be tapped going forward. I can see it but I am HOPING Game Freak does as well

Oct 25, 2017
Get out of here with that. I mean people can't be disappointed by what they saw? This is a goddamn discussion forum this is what happens if you can't handle the heat leave
See what I'm talking about? Now that's just pointless negativity over a video game. People are welcome to be disappointed but becoming hostile and attacking people is the real disappointment..

Oct 25, 2017
UK based Pokémon go:

A sheep Pokémon called Shagee
A penguin Pokémon called Pickoopa
A tracksuit Pokémon called Ondadoll
An oyster Pokémon called Pearlyking that evolves into Freedomepazz

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I didn't notice when I was watching the trailer but I just realized there's random battles again. I don't hate that, but man I loved what Let's Go did with having the Pokémon on the overworld, and I really thought they would do that again with Sword & Shield.

Oct 25, 2017
Since people are having trouble seeing the routes, I drew them out:

It looks like the starting area is separated from the rest of Galar by trail travel.

South of the starting area is a forest.

After the train is a huge open field you can probably explore entirely.

After the huge open field is a walled city or a canyon that takes you to stonehenge and other towns.

West from the walled city takes you to more train tracks, possibly the mine and leads to that town with the green stadium and hillside art.

There appear to be 5 soccer stadiums/gyms.

London is in the north on top of a mountain.
Still hoping for there to be an Ireland map just to throw us off.

Oct 27, 2017
Era is the most toxic community when it comes to post direct discussion I have ever seen. I swear people want to be disappointed and revel in it and attack you for not being as miserable as them. It happens after every direct.
So people can't be disappointed? On a discussion board for videogames? After a big videogame announcement? Jfc.

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
This just makes me depressed. Playing a Pokemon game that looks like this would be so incredible. There's so many RPGs that look leagues better and more amibitious than Sword/Shield (Granblue, DQXI, Xenoblade 2, Ni no Kuni 2, etc etc.) and yet Pokemon outsells all of them.

Does none of that mountain of cash go back towards development? Does Game Freak just lack the ambition? Or are they going with "Well it'll make money anyway, why even bother" approach? I just don't understand.
Judging by the responses here. I'd say its that.
Why anyone would be hyped for this is beyond me.
Its about time Nintendo let someone else try out the franchise.

Oct 27, 2017
TBF, Let's Go is a released game, this one is still at least 6 months in active development.

I'm not saying it'll look much better, but pretty sure we should see a jump in quality like back then with Mario Odyssey, comparing the E³ build to the game's launch.

Apr 16, 2018
Era is the most toxic community when it comes to post direct discussion I have ever seen. I swear people want to be disappointed and revel in it and attack you for not being as miserable as them. It happens after every direct.
People are giving opinions I don't agree, that's so toxic.

Oct 28, 2017

I doubt its the final build. We still have many months before it releases. If graphical prowess is a problem for people, they should hold up and wait for the next few trailers to see if there are any improvements.

Oct 25, 2017
England
UK based Pokémon go:

A sheep Pokémon called Shagee
A penguin Pokémon called Pickoopa
A tracksuit Pokémon called Ondadoll
An oyster Pokémon called Pearlyking that evolves into Freedomepazz
Oh please have a Job Centre like please, I would die if I saw that in a video game, let alone a bloody POKEMON GAME!

Oct 28, 2017
It’s an all new traditional Pokémon game for Switch... that’s exactly what I wanted I’m very happy with this news. Sure the starter Pokémon are kind meh but their evolved forms will no doubt look better so nbd.

People complained about the Let’s Go games so now we have the standard game and more bitching...amazing.

Nov 30, 2017

This right here is why this game looks lame as hell to me right now. Once again, fucking Battle Revolution on the fucking Wii, nearly a decade ago, did better battle animations than this new game by Game Freak proper.

They’re STILL doing the lame crap of Pokémon just doing an animation and causing an attack to happen 5 feet away from them.
Battle Revolution also looked a lot better than this. That texture quality....

Oct 25, 2017
People still complain about lets go but AFTER playing it and reflecting on the Pros and Cons we have a clearer picture of what we would like to see going forward

Unfortunately it will take a much longer time but hopefully the right kinds of feedback inform the development of either Gen 9 or the Next Lets Go title

They can go all in on the next Let's go, I don't care, as long as they keep the mainline as it is. People liked it so sure, keep doing it.

Nov 2, 2017
+ Starters are amazing
+ Nice choice for Region
+ Cool names

- Random encounters
- Underwhelming graphics
- Linear / Small map (?)
- Fixed camera in some areas (?)
- No Pokemon following you

Overall I'm a bit dissapointed. Not sure if the two question marks are actually the case, I've watched the vid multiple times and it was the impression I got.

I like the Pokemon formula and the battle mechanics, I just wish they would invest in creating a more lively and explorable world. After Let's Go the overworld seems so barren.

Definetely wanted a bit more :/

I wish it'd look better, but you honestly couldn't expect more. Pokémon Let's Go sold 10 million copies in 2018 and they want another one in 2019. These games monetize like shit without three-five year dev cycles! I had wished to see Dragon Quest XI as a visual benchmark and the game doesn't quite hit this mark. Also wish there were no randomn battles, Pokémon on the field and more dynamic battles. The latter points would have been more important to me than Xenoblade-level graphics.

We'll see...

Given sale numbers, people should not be surprised at this serviceable yet minimal effort though. Pokémon has always been a series for the masses more than anything else.

It will still be a good game because the formula works even if the series has some outdated elements in it.

Oct 25, 2017
This is my first time following a completely new Pokemon game being announcement and... wow people here got me scared.

Didn't know things were this bad.
There's so many different things that various people want tout of the games that things do end to get quite heated. It's also why you'll see a bunch of people proclaiming that "X" is great while a bunch of other people proclaim that it's terrible.

Take the 3DS games for example. A bunch of Pokemon fans love them but a bunch of them (myself included) hate them.

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon must be the most popular IP in the world with the least effort put into it.
Yeah...

Like I really liked Let’s Go, a lot more than I thought I would but it’s hard to deny that a series that prints money like this does should be able to.. I dunno, have more money invested into it or something

Oct 26, 2017
Reading though parts of this thread, how the hell are people dissatisfied? I really don't know what some people were expecting, of course it's going to be a fucking Pokemon game.

Dec 13, 2017
I'm so happy that all the people who complained about Let's Go are now getting a more of the same. In the meantime I will end up enjoying this as I've enjoyed Let's Go.
My hype for a free camera, free roaming Pokémon game are still on the year 2045.