• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bizu

Oct 26, 2017
São Paulo - BR
Don;t think the random encounters it's really good. imo
That's an absolutely rubbish excuse.

It's an about expecting BOTW tier (and even then BOTW is hardly some sacred gold standard in 2019), it's about a HD game in 2019 looking like it's come from several generations ago.

This console can do some impressive things, I mean just look at XC2, developed by a third party.

xc2_10.jpg

I know your feel, but we're talking about GF. They ignore this.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Best female MC design ever, no question. Hat and sweater are perfect. I'm imagining her with an incomprehensible Scottish accent.

And if course the male MC looks like a loser again... a downer but I'm not surprised. Hopefully customization is back (I mean why wouldn't it be) and I can throw away his dumb hat.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The surprise is literally in seeing the Pokemon appear on your screen, except now you have the option to pursue it or not.

What an absurd statement.
You can still be surprised when they pop up, there's no need for random encounters, every RPG that had them as already done away with it because it's a dated concept

There is no surprise there at all. There's no pursuit at all. It's just waiting around for it to pop up and come to you. If you want something like that be my guest, that's your opinion. But I couldnt stand how fucking boring it was to see rare Pokémon just pop up like that for nothing. Random encounters are great.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Looks decent. Depending on how battles look this could be the first Pokémon I pick up since Gold/Silver.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Random encounters being back is such a bummer when even Dragon Quest no longer sticks to them, and that series is way more conservative.

Slev

Oct 27, 2017
Not having Pokemon follows and Pokemon in the over world before battling them is a step back. Change my mind.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The gyms look great: one is a football stadium, one is a mine. It seems like they are integrating them into the world, much like Gen 5 did.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for random battles being in. Lol..

Right now I'm rolling with Scorbunny. I'm going to need a female that I can name Bella after my rabbit who passed last year☹️

The new region looks great. They finally dropped the O in the regions name. I can't wait to see more.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tbf about the random encounters, LGPE had the benefit of dealing with 150 models, whereas this game is going to have to accommodate for 800+ in some capacity, so whilst on screen encounters wouldn't have been an impossible task, it'd have been a major undertaking.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thank god they went back to traditional style. Let's Go will never be better.

We dont know the full mechanics of the game yet anyways and their may be options. Overworld pokemon may be added too. At least for me, the game looks promising in that its not a copy of Let's Go at all.

Looks even worse, like and HD copy of XY. What's promising about this? Lmao.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

It's an about expecting BOTW tier (and even then BOTW is hardly some sacred gold standard in 2019), it's about a HD game in 2019 looking like it's come from several generations ago.

This console can do some impressive things, I mean just look at XC2, developed by a third party.

xc2_10.jpg

Monolith is a Nintendo studio

Oct 26, 2017

xc2_10.jpg
Monolith Soft is 1st party

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
So I have a legitimate question for everyone that likes random encounters. Why? What do they legitimately add to the game that Pokemon you see in the wild would not add? Because from where I'm sitting, it seems to just pad play time.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

xc2_10.jpg
Monolith is first party

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017

xc2_10.jpg
Monolithsoft is first party studio.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
oh my god

Talk about bad faith arguements

You realize good ideas can be iterated and molded to make something NEW and BETTER right?

Avoiding Encounters and having pokemon on field is a good thing! Want to add some challenge? Add aggressive pokemon that chase you, ambush pokemon, force player to prep a dungeon with various tools and repel.

DO SOMETHING NEW instead of having Dragon Quest style random battle grinding for hours for 10 generations
So you think it's better to have to run away in a direction you might not even want to go to from an agressive pokemon than just kill the thing or run away like you used to in any other game so far and just continue to go in the direction you want to? I love that in these arguments people always seem to forget repel exists, too. How are ambuhsing pokemon better than random encounters? You already force people to prep for a dungeon with repel and the likes. Not sure what the difference would be.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Having wild battles where you know what they are beforehand defeats the entire point of having it be a battle at all, because it massively shifts it in the players favour and effectively makes it pointless.

That's why they were fine with removing the in let's go (the battles were gone) and why random encounters are back now (the battles are back too).
Wild battles have been a non-challenge for generations with no signs of that changing. Keeping them random just makes them a pain in the arse.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
So, we've got a couple trilithons:
9ATCsjI.jpg

Though it doesn't look like a full discount Stonehenge. Then again, even if there is one, I don't expect to actually see the henge part (because that's not the stones)

Love the chalk figure though, very nice
mPyP4mO.png

Betting we get a bunch of ancient/centuries old legendaries

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Well, based on what we've seen so far, the "spin-off" remake of the first gen game seems head and shoulders above the new mainline entry as far as new ideas are concerned. Should have expected this after the aggressively boring Ultra Moon. Series is showing some deep wrinkles, but I'm sure it'll continue to do great commercially.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
It certainly doesn't look bad, by all means, but the graphics quality looks like something a smaller A or AA Japanese developer could most likely achieve on the switch, like the Atelier or Rune Factory series, etc. I guess, I just expected more from a company that has the kind of revenue that Pokemon generates?