• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
1551277153514.png

If you wanna simplify it, then sure i guess. Its different from a circle at least.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, what is with the complaints about random battles? Is it just old/washed-up fans who returned to the series with Let's Go or something? People who have actually been playing these games for decades consider the random encounters to be a core mechanic.

Nice 'Us real fans' rhetoric man. I've played all the damn games, random encounters are still a super dated mechanic that RPGs have forgone for a long long time for good reason. Let's Go was much better paced, had more alive looking areas, and significantly less frustration because it let you see the pokemon in the overworld.

I'm so tired of people going 'But this has always been a thing tho!'. Change can be good, very good in this case. There is literally no real downside to roaming pokemon, and whole ton of upsides. This is the shit that made my jaded self genuinely smile when I saw Let's Go and a gigantic Onix popped up in a cave, it was so fucking cool. It was exactly the shit I wanted since I was a kid.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
User warned: "Lazy devs" rhetoric.
That's an absolutely rubbish excuse.

It's an about expecting BOTW tier (and even then BOTW is hardly some sacred gold standard in 2019), it's about a HD game in 2019 looking like it's come from several generations ago.

This console can do some impressive things, I mean just look at XC2, developed by a third party.

xc2_10.jpg

Yep, pretty much. There really is no excuse anymore. The bottom line is GF and Nintendo are being lazy and indifferent to the quality of Pokemon games because they know it'll sell gangbusters regardless. Pokemon is Nintendo's FIFA.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The defense force in here lol. This could look much better, "but art style" isn't a valid defense when you have BOTW released 2.5 years earlier on wii U.
Hopefully the framerate isn't OOT tier.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Super excited for this. I was expecting an overworld similar to the Let's Go games so this is a nice surprise. Gotta say though the starters are currently underwhelming. Especially since Scorbunny looks like its gearing up for fighting type. Again.

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018
Love it!! The new region looks beautiful and the starters are adorable. (Team Sobble, all the way!) Glad random encounters are back too.

And lol @ anyone expecting a BOTW-styled Pokemon game.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Having wild battles where you know what they are beforehand defeats the entire point of having it be a battle at all, because it massively shifts it in the players favour and effectively makes it pointless.

That's why they were fine with removing the in let's go (the battles were gone) and why random encounters are back now (the battles are back too).
It's not hard to design around that. In fact most modern JRPGs do.

Also random encounters are already massively in favour of the player and pointless. Unless you are suggesting this is the first Pokemon game in several generations that has any amount of difficulty in it?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's not about expecting BOTW tier (and even then BOTW is hardly some sacred gold standard in 2019), it's about a HD game in 2019 looking like it's come from several generations ago.

This console can do some impressive things, I mean just look at XC2, developed by a third party.

xc2_10.jpg
Monolith Soft is 1st party though

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think random battles need to go, but Let's Go was not the way to do it. Shit looked overcrowded and awkward.

That's because they just threw the pokemon on environments still based on old Gameboy tilesets. If they actually designed a region from ground up with them in mind it'd fit much more naturally.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017

It's not about expecting BOTW tier (and even then BOTW is hardly some sacred gold standard in 2019), it's about a HD game in 2019 looking like it's come from several generations ago.

xc2_10.jpg

XC2 is developed by a first party, and is sub-native resolution. Not that the game looks bad, but you might want to settle your facts before shitposting.
I would also like to add that it's extremely likely that this game started as a 3DS title, or at the very least started with 3DS assets.

Deleted member 2618

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Overall it looks alright I guess. Nothing mind blowing. I like the art style a lot and the character designs are the best in years imo.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Not having Pokemon follows and Pokemon in the over world before battling them is a step back. Change my mind.

Random battles without seeing the Pokémon is fine. They could've added the feature just like, in some especial occasions you can see a Pokémon walking by or something, like the shaking grass from previous games.

No following Pokémon, that's really a bummer.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
The region looks very linear but maybe it'll end up surprising in the end. Oh and Scorbunny for me please. Hopefully it doesn't become yet another Fire/Fighting type.

chechi

Dec 3, 2018
I can't help but feel somewhat underwhelmed. I looks nice and all, but it feels like an empty/dead world. Really hope my first impression will change as soon as they start showing more footage.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
Seriously, what is with the complaints about random battles? Is it just old/washed-up fans who returned to the series with Let's Go or something? People who have actually been playing these games for decades consider the random encounters to be a core mechanic.

I am both an old and a washed-up and I'm just fine with random encounters, so I don't know what you're on about.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reactions on social media are very positive as well, unlike last year where there was general... confusion and distaste?
Sorry Era peeps, you're on your own this time.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So
I'm gonna call it right now.

The gym leaders + Elite Four will be inspired by the Knights of the Round Table, and the champion will be based on Arthur.

Jun 10, 2018
I mean saving the 3ds did take more of nintendos resources then they expected also affecting the wii u pipeline
And I'd argue those resources were well spent considering a significant portion of Nintendo's branding and mindshare today is derived from the 400+ million handheld devices they've been able to sell in just under 30 years.

Nintendo wouldn't have chosen the 3DS over the Wii U if their handheld business was as hit-or-miss as their console brand.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
WHY THE FUCK ARE PEOPLE PISSED THAT RANDOM BATTLES ARE BACK.

ARE YOU PEOPLE SERIOUS.

I REMEMBER WHEN YOU PEOPLE WERE AFRAID OF LGPE'S INFLUENCE ON THE REST OF THE SERIES. YOU FOLKS WERE GOING ON AND ON ABOUT GEN 8 NOT BEING SOMETHING TRADITIONAL.

NOW HERE YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THINGS IN THOSE GAMES NOT BEING IN HERE.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

YOU PEOPLE ARE IMPOSSIBLE.
What if... it's not the same people? :o

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
So you think it's better to have to run away in a direction you might not even want to go to from an agressive pokemon than just kill the thing or run away like you used to in any other game so far and just continue to go in the direction you want to? I love that in these arguments people always seem to forget repel exists, too. How are ambuhsing pokemon better than random encounters? You already force people to prep for a dungeon with repel and the likes. Not sure what the difference would be.

Immersion? Something new to surprise players with?

Experimentation? Im not crazy for wanting something other than a screen transition

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
This looks like just like sun and moon but with better graphics. I was expecting much more for the first mainline pokemon game on console.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
That's some ugly-ass starters right there. Hopefully their evolutions are better.

Everything else looks fantastic.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
They're had not much time to make this game. Graphics are ok, cute as ever, but just ok.
Next game will look great (HeartSoul/AlphaOmega), and the third (Black and White and Sun and Moon) will look fantastic.

It will sell fantastically, with switch selling huge numbers this could become third (or gasp) second best selling pokemon game.