• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to animated over 800 pokemon.

There's this thing most companies have called an "Asset Library".

GF should have YEARS of assets and animations built up.

Ding ding ding. Unfortunately, I don't know that Gamefreak can do anything about the animations at this point. There are just too many Poke'mon to animate for. So we will likely never get nice, detailed battle animations. They would have to remove a bunch of Poke'mon first to make it more manageable.

see above ^^

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Era is the most toxic community when it comes to post direct discussion I have ever seen. I swear people want to be disappointed and revel in it and attack you for not being as miserable as them. It happens after every direct.
Get out of here with that. I mean people can't be disappointed by what they saw? This is a goddamn discussion forum this is what happens if you can't handle the heat it time you leave the kitchen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the 'I enjoy the excitement rush of possibly seeing something new' with the random encounters people.

You still get that rush when you're walking along and suddenly ONIX appears and you're like OMG AN ONIX *runs into it to start battle*. Did you not play LG? It's the same feeling but the world feels more alive. It's actually better because you can ignore the Spearows or whatever instead of
spending 26min waiting or all the animations to go off just to run away and then start the process over again.

Exactly. It's more exciting to see them in the world. There's so much more they could do with that system too. Like some Pokemon could try to run away from you and you have to chase them down, or you would need to leave bait to distract them. Or some would be aggressive and try to get the jump on you. Same 'surprise' factor, but you could avoid the confrontation if you're quick. Some pokemon could still also only be found by looking for shaking grass and sneaking up on them. But straight up going back to randoms is a massive step back from LG. Having to slog through endless encounter transitions to get a chance for something is just not fun anymore.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
ERA: LGP sucks! I want a real core Pokemon game like Sun and Moon! Stop changing my pokemon!

Nintendo: Ok here you go.

ERA: THIS GAME SUCKS TOO!

Never change.

I think this looks great. I like the art style and well...that's about all we can really say, we saw all of like 3 minutes of in game footage and they clearly weren't going to spill the beans on any big new additions or details about battle systems, etc in a short reveal trailer. This game is still like 9 months away, there will be a lot more to learn.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad they're reverting a lot of the stuff from Lets Go that I did not care for in the slightest.

The new starters look pretty lame though

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fKzc881.png
This leak from the 21st just got a lot more interesting

OMG AT THE ARMORED CHARIZARD

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's just your next iteration of Pokémon really. It's the next step from Sun and Moon on an HD console. Nothing so far is showing they're doing anything really different. Ohmori said they're going to try some new stuff so we'll see.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I finally caught 4G signal in this town I'm in and HOLY SHIT IM HYPED AS HELL.

GIVE ME GROOKEY RIGHT NOW

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Post what Gamecube RPG you think looks even close. Hell, let's compare it to a Wii one (Xenoblade)

I would but I'm not talking about the graphics I'm talking about the approach to camera and level design. If I post screenshots you will nit-pick every different detail when the point is a broad stroke one.
It doesn't look like something that couldn't run on the Gamecube excluding the graphics, is the point.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Man, I love the people who incessantly whined that LGPE wasn't for the 'core' fanbase so they should stop complaining about what they didn't like about the game feeling the need to complain that these games aren't LGPE.
This is literally the first thread about the new game, that shit got old fast because some users kept entering EVERY SINGLE Let's Go thread complaining about the same thing, even when the thread wasn't even about whatever topic they decided to complain about. Hardly the same situation at all, but hey it's best to try and justify shitting up threads, right?

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
tbf Vanilluxe is very cute & creative (Change My Mind)
584Vanilluxe.png
Looks like something you'd see on a kid's menu.

Having said that, the later gens have some of my favorite designs, so dismissing those games is silly. I like the new starters as well, pretty eager to see what their final evolutions will look like.

Overall the game looks pretty nice, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed with the lack of a full 3D movable camera and return of random battles. Guess we'll have to wait longer for a "proper" next-gen Pokémon game.

Nathan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
France
It looks like the starting area is separated from the rest of Galar by trail travel.

South of the starting area is a forest.

After the train is a huge open field you can probably explore entirely.

After the huge open field is a walled city or a canyon that takes you to stonehenge and other towns.

West from the walled city takes you to more train tracks, possibly the mine and leads to that town with the green stadium and hillside art.

There appear to be 5 soccer stadiums/gyms.

London is in the north on top of a mountain.
It would be a shame if we can't explore the borders of the map...

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
What game is this?

I personally prefer them when part of the goal is not just catching Pokemon but also battling them. Plus this way thel keep making Pokemon Go games every other year or so. A second pillar where you can see the Pokemon roam.

Smaller upcoming Game Freak game TOWN.

hp_topimage01.jpg

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
God damn does this game ever look good. I had to contain myself at work when watching the direct. Its everything I've wanted so far, just need to see more lol.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I don't know about that, considering there are no roaming Pokémon, which is a damn shame.

Yes but because GameFreak programmed terrible AI into the wild Pokemon apparently that means they were a bad idea. Instead of keeping visible Pokemon and actually not having them run into walls, just take them away completely :/

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why would one have to exclude the other?
I too want traditional wild battles. But I would like to have the choice to initiate them or not by running into pokémon roaming the overworld.
They would still be random encounters as they'd be randomly appearing, much like in Let's Go.
The way they appear in Let's go sucks though. You want that choice in what you engage with but that kills any sort of surprise for me, unless they implemented a silhouette model.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm willing to bet there's some new spin on the good ol'gyms. All of them look like stadiums.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
XB7c51x.jpg

TeinB6d.jpg

Let's Go seems cleaner in many ways.

Lets Go isn't even ambitious in scope

They went very simple

If they iterated and pushed harder I wonder what they could come up with.

No question the Art Design is superior in Sword and Shield but thats by design. I don't think they had any intention of pushing the design envelope of Lets Go since it was supposed to be a remake of Red/Blue and callback to the tile design of the originals

There is ... potential that needs to be tapped going forward. I can see it but I am HOPING Game Freak does as well