• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Get out of here with that. I mean people can't be disappointed by what they saw? This is a goddamn discussion forum this is what happens if you can't handle the heat leave
See what I'm talking about? Now that's just pointless negativity over a video game. People are welcome to be disappointed but becoming hostile and attacking people is the real disappointment..

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
UK based Pokémon go:

A sheep Pokémon called Shagee
A penguin Pokémon called Pickoopa
A tracksuit Pokémon called Ondadoll
An oyster Pokémon called Pearlyking that evolves into Freedomepazz

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just read Gamefreak has 143 employees.

How can this be the result of 143 people.

I think everyone agrees that the Art Direction is fantastic
If that is fantastic, then what is this turn-based, monster-collecting RPG from the PS3 era?

ni-no-kuni-pueblo.gif

ni-no-kuni-mapamundi.gif

ni-no-kuni-ciudad.gif

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I didn't notice when I was watching the trailer but I just realized there's random battles again. I don't hate that, but man I loved what Let's Go did with having the Pokémon on the overworld, and I really thought they would do that again with Sword & Shield.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since people are having trouble seeing the routes, I drew them out:
EtFeLo2.jpg

It looks like the starting area is separated from the rest of Galar by trail travel.

South of the starting area is a forest.

After the train is a huge open field you can probably explore entirely.

After the huge open field is a walled city or a canyon that takes you to stonehenge and other towns.

West from the walled city takes you to more train tracks, possibly the mine and leads to that town with the green stadium and hillside art.

There appear to be 5 soccer stadiums/gyms.

London is in the north on top of a mountain.

Still hoping for there to be an Ireland map just to throw us off.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Era is the most toxic community when it comes to post direct discussion I have ever seen. I swear people want to be disappointed and revel in it and attack you for not being as miserable as them. It happens after every direct.

So people can't be disappointed? On a discussion board for videogames? After a big videogame announcement? Jfc.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
This just makes me depressed. Playing a Pokemon game that looks like this would be so incredible. There's so many RPGs that look leagues better and more amibitious than Sword/Shield (Granblue, DQXI, Xenoblade 2, Ni no Kuni 2, etc etc.) and yet Pokemon outsells all of them.

Does none of that mountain of cash go back towards development? Does Game Freak just lack the ambition? Or are they going with "Well it'll make money anyway, why even bother" approach? I just don't understand.
Judging by the responses here. I'd say its that.
Why anyone would be hyped for this is beyond me.
Its about time Nintendo let someone else try out the franchise.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Let's Go seems cleaner in many ways.

TBF, Let's Go is a released game, this one is still at least 6 months in active development.

I'm not saying it'll look much better, but pretty sure we should see a jump in quality like back then with Mario Odyssey, comparing the E³ build to the game's launch.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Era is the most toxic community when it comes to post direct discussion I have ever seen. I swear people want to be disappointed and revel in it and attack you for not being as miserable as them. It happens after every direct.

People are giving opinions I don't agree, that's so toxic.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
It's an all new traditional Pokémon game for Switch... that's exactly what I wanted I'm very happy with this news. Sure the starter Pokémon are kind meh but their evolved forms will no doubt look better so nbd.

People complained about the Let's Go games so now we have the standard game and more bitching...amazing.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
1551280721793.png

This right here is why this game looks lame as hell to me right now. Once again, fucking Battle Revolution on the fucking Wii, nearly a decade ago, did better battle animations than this new game by Game Freak proper.

They're STILL doing the lame crap of Pokémon just doing an animation and causing an attack to happen 5 feet away from them.
Battle Revolution also looked a lot better than this. That texture quality....

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People still complain about lets go but AFTER playing it and reflecting on the Pros and Cons we have a clearer picture of what we would like to see going forward

Unfortunately it will take a much longer time but hopefully the right kinds of feedback inform the development of either Gen 9 or the Next Lets Go title

They can go all in on the next Let's go, I don't care, as long as they keep the mainline as it is. People liked it so sure, keep doing it.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup I'm in game looks great. I wonder if Switch will get it's own version of Pokebank so we can transfer pokemon over.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
My guesses based on design:

Scorbunny becomes a Fire/Ground Football/Soccer Player
Grookie becomes a Grass/Rock Gorilla
Sobble becomes a Water/Ghost Sea Serpent (Think Nessie)

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The trainers take off their backpacks when fighting it seems? Nice touch the anime has been doing for years lol

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
+ Starters are amazing
+ Nice choice for Region
+ Cool names

- Random encounters
- Underwhelming graphics
- Linear / Small map (?)
- Fixed camera in some areas (?)
- No Pokemon following you

Overall I'm a bit dissapointed. Not sure if the two question marks are actually the case, I've watched the vid multiple times and it was the impression I got.

I like the Pokemon formula and the battle mechanics, I just wish they would invest in creating a more lively and explorable world. After Let's Go the overworld seems so barren.

Definetely wanted a bit more :/

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I wish it'd look better, but you honestly couldn't expect more. Pokémon Let's Go sold 10 million copies in 2018 and they want another one in 2019. These games monetize like shit without three-five year dev cycles! I had wished to see Dragon Quest XI as a visual benchmark and the game doesn't quite hit this mark. Also wish there were no randomn battles, Pokémon on the field and more dynamic battles. The latter points would have been more important to me than Xenoblade-level graphics.

We'll see...

Given sale numbers, people should not be surprised at this serviceable yet minimal effort though. Pokémon has always been a series for the masses more than anything else.

It will still be a good game because the formula works even if the series has some outdated elements in it.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is my first time following a completely new Pokemon game being announcement and... wow people here got me scared.

Didn't know things were this bad.
There's so many different things that various people want tout of the games that things do end to get quite heated. It's also why you'll see a bunch of people proclaiming that "X" is great while a bunch of other people proclaim that it's terrible.

Take the 3DS games for example. A bunch of Pokemon fans love them but a bunch of them (myself included) hate them.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon must be the most popular IP in the world with the least effort put into it.
Yeah...

Like I really liked Let's Go, a lot more than I thought I would but it's hard to deny that a series that prints money like this does should be able to.. I dunno, have more money invested into it or something

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Reading though parts of this thread, how the hell are people dissatisfied? I really don't know what some people were expecting, of course it's going to be a fucking Pokemon game.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Game Freak are no technical wizards are they? Looks bland and uninspired. It's got clean image quality, that's about all I can say.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I'm so happy that all the people who complained about Let's Go are now getting a more of the same. In the meantime I will end up enjoying this as I've enjoyed Let's Go.
My hype for a free camera, free roaming Pokémon game are still on the year 2045.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
"Gamers disappointed that upcoming Pokemon titles are traditional affairs after Lead Producer's claims that upcoming titles will be traditional affairs"
DQXI is a very traditional JRPG that also gotten rid of random encounter and heavily restrictive linear maps.

Just because you are making a "traditional " game doesn't mean you are not allowed to make steps in elevating the game to new levels while staying faithful to the roots of the franchise.