• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 9, 2018
I mean not only did you completely misread what was said, but you also picked the wrong move.

The user was saying that of course there are changes in move animations but they are XY-styled. Just because this animation looks more dynamic now doesn't make what you're arguing against true. There are other equally dynamic moves.

And here's the actual move: Vacuum Wave.

That's a drastic change. The camera angles are completely different and dynamic, and the effects actually flow well with the animations.

flexicon

Nov 5, 2018
i dont think you quite understand the words you've typed but it's okay, i just wanted to correct some absurd hyperbolic misinformation amongst the sea that there are in this thread. i can live without your ridiculous attempts at ad hominem though, here's the attention you wanted ✌️
Did you mean yourself when you're talking about hyperbolic information? Because you've spent quite a bit of time in this thread trying to shut down any criticism with your shitty attitude. Projection is a bad look for you!

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That person didn't even make that claim.

he just did, a few post down the line
i can read, just in case

if he didn't express correctly what he meant and actually had a valid point to make, then fine, but everything said in his original post (that was answering a post of mine) is straight up false. I said that I enjoyed how they improved the animations with a gif of that Lucario move, he answered saying that they didn't change despite that they objectively did.

Electivirer

May 15, 2018
Armored Charizard? The wolf from the logos?

IL4pCil.jpg

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Preevolutions were a mistake.
But new evolutions, I'll take some of those.
Especially branched evolutions. I think those are neat.

I don't think preevolutions were mistakes. Probably only Pichu, but of course they had to give the new gimmick to Pikachu too. Also Azurill was kinda weird. I say it because Pikachu and Marill already seem tiny enough (that's why I think the preevolutions from that beta version were scrapped: Paras, Vulpix, Meowth, Goldeen, etc)

However I think other preevolutions were needed, like Smoochum, Elekid, Happiny, Mime Jr., Munchlax, not so sure about Budew, but I just think all these big Pokémon look weird coming from eggs (even if they still do) like Snorlax, Mr. Mime, Chansey. Lapras and Kangaskhan are in need of preevolutions too.

But I think if we ever get cross gen Pokémon, we are more in need of evolutions, especially for all those 1 stage Pokémon from Gen VI and VII: Klefki, Bruxish, Hawlucha, Minior, etc. Also, alternate evolutions would be cool.

I think it's just a way to give more importance and love to all those forgotten families. What would be of Sneasel, Tangela and Lickitung if they didn't get their respective evos? Or Gligar. They would be just another Dunsparce or Basculin.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only in this thread some dude can say "they reused the same animation, GF lazy!" to something that literally is using a new animation and be defended. He's wrong and being hyperbolic in every single post he made in this thread (it's his schtick in this site).

Oct 25, 2017
it's not. of course there are different animations for the moves like in every new game but those remain gen6-7-style animations and nothing more
And here is it in gif form for people to compare and stop with their bad faith arguments
1551381080-ezgif-2-5be1f38d59d6.gif

1551381554-dddd.gif
I mean not only did you completely misread what was said, but you also picked the wrong move.

The user was saying that of course there are changes in move animations but they are XY-styled. Just because this animation looks more dynamic now doesn't make what you're arguing against true. There are other equally dynamic moves.

Of course an improvement is only a good thing and this is a great change, but I don't get being condescending when you're wrong on multiple counts.

It's the same animation but with added pushback and FAR more dynamic camerawork. It looks more like Stadium/BR in battle, which looks much better.

So Wander is right in that it is the same exact animation but LordKano is right in that the move is presented very differently from the 3DS games.
It says Armored Mewtwo in katakana and it's basically a new form I guess.

I'll assume the leaks about Armored Evolutions are right. lol
Welp, looks like that leak was right.
Actually the Metalic Snake is likely a reference to Uroboros

ring-uroboros-3d-model-stl.jpg
JFC Uroboros has been flying around as a legendary rumor since pre-LG. We're really going full circle on this rumor train.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
After reading one theory post on Reddit, I'm glad to announce my full endorsement of Grookey. I want a drum play monkey, yes please.

EDIT: Also, I don't understand the Lucario animation discussion. You barely see Lucario actually doing the animation. The interesting thing, to my eyes, is that now the effect flies across the battle to hit Tyrannitar.

Oct 26, 2017
Non-random battles were only weird in Let's Go because Let's Go has incredibly basic AI behaviors and incredibly cramped level design.

A gathering of Pokemon like grazing machines in Horizon Zero Dawn would be super super cool.

Oct 25, 2017
My wife played her first Pokemon game last year with Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and she is fucking hooked now. So nice to be buying Sword for both of us instead of only me 😁

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect an Armored Lucario too. I think some of the Pokémon in the first trailer will have some focus this gen considering apparently Flygon is getting an Armored going by that leak and somehow it was in the trailer too.

Jan 9, 2018
I don't think preevolutions were mistakes. Probably only Pichu, but of course they had to give the new gimmick to Pikachu too. Also Azurill was kinda weird. I say it because Pikachu and Marill already seem tiny enough (that's why I think the preevolutions from that beta version were scrapped: Paras, Vulpix, Meowth, Goldeen, etc)

However I think other preevolutions were needed, like Smoochum, Elekid, Happiny, Mime Jr., Munchlax, not so sure about Budew, but I just think all these big Pokémon look weird coming from eggs (even if they still do) like Snorlax, Mr. Mime, Chansey. Lapras and Kangaskhan are in need of preevolutions too.

But I think if we ever get cross gen Pokémon, we are more in need of evolutions, especially for all those 1 stage Pokémon from Gen VI and VII: Klefki, Bruxish, Hawlucha, Minior, etc. Also, alternate evolutions would be cool.

I think it's just a way to give more importance and love to all those forgotten families. What would be of Sneasel, Tangela and Lickitung if they didn't get their respective evos? Or Gligar. They would be just another Dunsparce or Basculin.
I really, really want the Meowth prevo, actually lol.

I agree tho, I only want crossgen evos this time around. I love your choices, Klefki and Hawlucha especially. Something like evolutions for Comfey and Dhelmise would be nice, too, imo.

About split evolutions, I think they'll be handled the way Lycanroc was. They don't seem to want to add so many new Pokemon in terms of numbers, which is why they keep going for new forms like Mega Evolution and Alolan forms. We could get a new form for Lapras to match Nessie, for example.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Multiple reasons, at least in my case. Random encounters have a "surprise" element that just isn't captured by having everything immediately visible on the field. Random encounters are just like presents; you never know what you'll get, whether it's something really good and rare, or something common, or in between, or whatever. Of course, people may disagree on that, and say you can still have that feeling with them visible on the field, and that's fine, but for me, random encounters work better for that and they just never bothered me.

Plus, for stuff like shiny hunting, I feel that having multiple Pokémon visible on the field all at once can easily work against you, as it's so, so easy to not pay attention and miss something, mistaking it as just a normal Pokémon or not seeing it at all with so much ground to cover and the shiny potentially being on any part of the map that's currently loaded. Like, that's something that happened to a streamer I watched: he was just chaining normal Shellder in the Seafoam Islands in Let's Go Pikachu, trying to get one with good IVs and stuff, when a shiny one happened to pass by on the screen. However, because he wasn't looking for it at all, it easily being mistaken for a Magikarp (which is also in the area) when not specifically looking for it, especially with the deep fog in Seafoam Islands water on top of it all, he didn't actually notice it until it despawned and its too late.

With random encounters, that kind of thing at least is never an issue because you only have to worry about the one Pokémon (Doubles Grass and the like aside) at the time, so much, much, much, lower chance of ever being in that kind of situation and having that kind of peace of mind, that I'm not missing something out of the corner of my eye or a different part of the field like what happened to Flare's shiny Shellder is another nice perk of random encounters for me.

Then another part of it was how, at least in Let's Go, on-field encounters were just kinda lifeless. As in, they don't really care about you, other Pokémon, other trainers, or anything. They just show up, run about a bit, and then eventually despawn. And all that is just kinda weird and just takes me out of it, just feeling so much like each Pokémon was isolated in its own little world or something. Now, granted, they could just easily improve on that and make wild Pokémon actually interact with each other a bit and scare each other off or chase each other down and stuff, or something like that. But that's obviously a lot more work to implement something like that, especially for each Pokémon, and so if it's specifically between the Let's Go implementation of visible overworld Pokémon encounters or having random encounters back, I'd personally take random encounters back just to avoid how off-putting and weird that is, especially combined with everything else.

And just more stuff like that. Like, there's other minor stuff, like how because of how Viridian Forest was implement in LGE/LGP and its high encounter rate, it's difficult to entirely avoid Pokémon in there at times without using Repels and if I'm going to be using Repels anyway, I just feel like the game might as well have random encounters at that point, but most of the rest is small stuff like that, at least for me.

In short though, it's definitely more a pro/con thing for me, very similar to discussions like whether or not Pokémon should keep turn-based battles (which I also think it should). Neither's inherently better or worse than the other and each just has certain strengths and weaknesses they each bring to the table, and so it's very easy to come down on either side depending on what combination of pros/cons appeals more to you personally. And for me, that combination of pros/cons leads me more on the side of random encounters, but yeah, that's just my take anyway.
Thanks for the detailed explanation! I don't really have a big problem with random encounters, but they're not my favorite, and I don't exactly feel attached to that mechanic in any way. Haven't played Let's Go either, but Wild Pokemon roaming around struck me as a pretty cool feature and one I like the idea of keeping. However, I did notice they seem kind of lifeless in the overworld in videos, but it's better than just grass.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Armored Charizard? The wolf from the logos?

IL4pCil.jpg
The third legendary is probably a wolf-like creature that is important to the history of the region/empire, like it's on the royal family's crest. That's why it's shared between both games' logos. It will probably be the Zygarde of these games, but with some actual story put behind it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched some direct feed of the new Yokai watch 4 game and it's really nice. Very " Clean" looking what I wish Sword/Shield was but still has a nice artistic style to it.

.. GameFreak's needs to get on Level 6 to surpass Level 5
._.

that would require them to splurge on R&D or adopt an external engine. I'm guessing SS is still their internal stuff since some company would have claimed the game by now

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Watched some direct feed of the new Yokai watch 4 game and it's really nice. Very " Clean" looking what I wish Sword/Shield was but still has a nice artistic style to it.

.. GameFreak's needs to get on Level 6 to surpass Level 5
._.

This looks much better than Sword/Shield. It almost makes me sad.

Jan 9, 2018
I fully expect an Armored Lucario too. I think some of the Pokémon in the first trailer will have some focus this gen considering apparently Flygon is getting an Armored going by that leak and somehow it was in the trailer too.
This makes sense. I think an Armoured Vikavolt would be cool, too, but now I'm just getting ahead of myself. I'm assuming GF is aware of the demand for a Mega Flygon, so maybe they're finally throwing people a bone this time. And of course, Pokemon like Mewtwo and Lucario are too popular to leave alone for a new mechanic like this.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Lucario would get anything since it already has a Mega. though, giving mewtwo a third form throws that out the window

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
User Warned: Arguing in bad faith

The user was saying that of course there are changes in move animations but they are XY-styled. Just because this animation looks more dynamic now doesn't make what you're arguing against not true. There are other equally dynamic moves.

Of course an improvement is only a good thing and this is a great change, but I don't get being condescending when you're wrong on multiple counts.

yup. thanks
15513853452196066.gif

1551381554-dddd.gif

Happy? ;)

Edit: looks like someone post it before me, took me a bit to find it

uuh thanks for proving they are reusing even the same "take this punch" animation and pose for Lucario itself

the more I see, the more I'm convinced this is just sun/moon hd

Jan 9, 2018
15513853452196066.gif

1551381554-dddd.gif

Happy? ;)

Edit: looks like someone post it before me, took me a bit to find it
Man, I can feel that impact. It's a huge step up from previous games. And it may be just how it was edited for the trailer, but the footage here makes it look a little faster than SM. No awkward pauses, but we'll have to wait for the UI reveal to see if it'll work the same way previous games have.

Inspirit

May 29, 2018
Do you guys think this might actually, in a caricatural way, picture Meltan (the little ones) and Melmetal ?

meltanmelmetal.jpg

The head shape etc looks similar imo...

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
yup. thanks

uuh thanks for proving they are reusing even the same "take this punch" animation and pose for Lucario itself

the more I see, the more I'm convinced this is just sun/moon hd
You are absolutely ridiculous. The animation of the move has been completely redone, go troll somewhere else.

Jan 9, 2018
The first one shows Lucario punching and the other Lucario inexplicably taking damage. The new animation features the force emerging from Lucario's paw and zooming into the Tyrantiar, the impact creating blowback and unearthing small parts of the ground.

It's not the same animation, it's just similar. It's presented much better with better effects and camera angles.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, the fact that they hid the Armoured Mewtwo design(s) on that key chain advertisement is pretty fishy to me. Within the context of Mewtwo Strikes Back, we already know what "Armoured Mewtwo" looks like, so I don't know why they would feel the need to hide it.
Who knows, but until they officialy show off an armor evolution nothing is confirmed.