• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Watching the analysis now and thank God the marts and Centers are merged again. Remakes always make me nervous that GF decided to change back permanently. Also Gen 5 was the first gen to have two professors, related sure but they both researched different topics.

Last edited:

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me that doesnt think this game looks very impressive, or am I just beating a dead horse?

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
a number of people have pointed this out, but your trainer waers a jersy for the gym fight in the trailer. wounder if they have the player jion some kind of pokemon team this time arond? I doubt it, but its a intreasting thought.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Sobble winning by 10 now, wooooo!
Sobble.full.2506479.png

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grookey is 100% evolving into a girly humanoid and I feel kinda sad for the people fooling themselves drawing three bulky dudes for the evolutions

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would fit if going of the pattern. Grass is due to get the "feminine final evo".
Yep. Grookey's theme is also music. It's absolutely never becoming the bulky monkey people are drawing. It would also be too similar to Infernape.

This reminds me of that time when for some reason people convinced themselves Popplio was going to be an evil clown

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I don't care either way if it's neutral or clearly leaning one way. The three final gen 2 final evos are all mostly neutral overall, but none do that much for me. Then again blaziken is super masculine and I don't like it, not having to do with it being masculine....just the design. Delphox is super feminine and I don't like it, but just the design. I think primarina is great and is very feminine, and I think samurott is really good and is masculine. Just because they are good designs, imo.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idealy none of them will be overtly masculine or feminine.
While I understand not wanting to make too many Pokémon "human-like" or giving "genders" to them based on looks, I actually appreaciate the variety. Like, when I look at fanmade evolutions I feel like they all are designed to appeal to the same people, all being "cool/badass" instead of portraying a different group of qualities that could be represented in an evolution.

Stuff like this feels like it tries too hard to be cool only.

1465517306293.png

I felt glad Popplio evolved to Primarina and liked it way more than any fan evolution.

I think being neutral is good too, but when I look at the final evo for the three gen 1 Pokémon I feel like they're all too samey. All evolve and just look bigger and bulky and meh, it's boring.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Magnemite has always been a gag vote I believe. Mainly stems from Pokken where the most popular voted pokemon gets put into the game. Magnemite swept it, so they went with second place instead (Gengar).

Speaking of that certain Magnemite. Wonder if it'll actually pass on Galar for once.

Magnemite has been in the main campaign for every single generation now. Have one generation rest please so others get a chance to shine (CoughSHINXCough).
It was before Pokken, it came from BW2 as a way of filling up players' Join Avenue: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/x5hi2/what_on_earth_is_japan_doing_with_all_those/

since then Magnemite always dominates every Japanese poll lol. They even tried voting it into Smash bros

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
While I understand not wanting to make too many Pokémon "human-like" or giving "genders" to them based on looks, I actually appreaciate the variety. Like, when I look at fanmade evolutions I feel like they all are designed to appeal to the same people, all being "cool/badass" instead of portraying a different group of qualities that could be represented in an evolution.

1465517306293.png

I felt glad Popplio evolved to Primarina and liked it way more than any fan evolution.

I think being neutral is good too, but when I look at the final evo for the three gen 1 Pokémon I feel like they're all too samey. All evolve and just look bigger and bulky and meh, it's boring.
I remember the hooded rowlet. Interesting that they weren't far off from the direction that went when it was probably the least obvious one.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I'm still disappointed by the pokemon sizes not being comparable to the pokedex entries. I want Wailord to tower everything, and by the look of it only Battle Revolution was the only one to achieve this.
I5lFBQd.jpg

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I'm still disappointed by the pokemon sizes not being comparable to the pokedex entries. I want Wailord to tower everything, and by the look of it only Battle Revolution was the only one to achieve this.
I5lFBQd.jpg
at the same time, it also failed on many fronts because rayquaza is not that small

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

1465517306293.png

Gen 2 is the worst offender for me, all three final form are literally bigger version of first form. At least Charizard have wing and Blastoise have cannon.

Also holy crap I'm glad Popplio didn't turn into that clown abomination lol.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I... I never cared for camera controls.

Locked cameras can be used to great effect in regards to composition. Its one of the only things I kind of miss going from old to new God of War.
Pokemon could work without it, but that also means spreading the world design efforts much thinner than they already are when designing for 360 degrees.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Gen 2 is the worst offender for me, all three final form are literally bigger version of first form. At least Charizard have wing and Blastoise have cannon.

Also holy crap I'm glad Popplio didn't turn into that clown abomination lol.
Yea, gen 2 played it overly safe. Chikorita line is probably the best of the three because it at least has a little color change and the blooming flower theme. Feraligatr and Typhlosion literally are just bigger versions with mean faces.

Oct 26, 2017
But the sign on the left is gone and there is a wheelbarrow on the right. I agree it's the same shot, but I think the discrepancies may have more to do with the fact that this is all a work in progress still rather than different entrances.

Looks like they'd be just beyond the sign in the near shot. To the right there is a steep slope where the wheelbarrow could be on top of.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
starters that are overtly feminine rule because they're still gonna be 87.5% male anyway

pokemon smashing gender norms

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Im not really a fan of the Armor forms just based on the fact its seems like another gimmick that will be forgotten about in a generation and given to only the popular ones... again.

Regional variants are the better way to go. Its such an obvious fit for the Pokemon world and would give every Mon the chance to shine eventually.

Please GF, don't drop them, they were great.
FLESH. OUT. THE. IDEA. FOR. ONCE.

Regional variants is one of the best things GF has ever come up with. And that's why it won't be in this game. :D

At any rate, glad we'll likely continue to not get new Mega Evolutions. Although I guess if Armored Evolutions is an actual thing and works just like it, then that will be just as lame...

I didn't like Hau. Like, he was too nice. It felt insincere.

Compared to stuff like XY's rivals, I would say that Hau hit that sweet spot of being a believable super nice kid.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
starters that are overtly feminine rule because they're still gonna be 87.5% male anyway

pokemon smashing gender norms
But then it backfires for the overly masculine pokemon, there are very low odds of there being a female incineroar. Ideally starters should all be 50%....I never got why that still hasn't been changed.

Oct 26, 2017
h8sNEaZ.png

The snowy city on the trailer is definitely this. I don't know how Derrick skipped it but the building styling and the Parthenon-like building are the same.

Yeah I was going to say.. You can see pillars of the stadium beyond it too. It's only the buildings curving around that the world map doesn't capture.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
having female starters be rarer than male ones makes them harder to breed, reinforcing the idea that starters are *special*

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed on bigger and meaner "badass" evolutions being boring. They shouldn't all be what the average boy wants.

having female starters be rarer than male ones makes them harder to breed, reinforcing the idea that starters are *special*
Ironically, Ditto was found right outside the daycare in the generation that both genders and breeding were introduced.

It feels like a pretty outdated concept at any rate.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I know I shouldn't expect much from game freak but I will facepalm if this game still downsize Wailord in the final release. I want more Gale of Darkness and less XY.

2DuxjR7h.jpg