• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is a brilliant idea and it's a shame people aren't getting it.

Brittish Harrier jump jet:
HlgNIBp.jpg

Hare-ier

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stadium, Colosseum/XD, and Battle Revolution are very worth mining for animations. Off the top of my head, Milotic and Vileplume have some awesome ones in those games.

Bring back Crobat's underbite!

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Battle Revolution attack animations and overall Pokemon animations would be the dream. I really don't get why GF just are sticking with the whole stand in one spot not moving at all animations. They're dated and have been since XY even first came out.

The reason I guess is because battles would take a lot longer due to all the animations it would make all the wild Pokemon a pain I guess?

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I forgot: please let me change the ball my Pokemon is in. If it means the previous one is discarded and lost, then so be it.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Battle Revolution attack animations and overall Pokemon animations would be the dream. I really don't get why GF just are sticking with the whole stand in one spot not moving at all animations. They're dated and have been since XY even first came out.
b/c full battle anamations would take a large amount of time/money given pokemons roster. even smash only has a few thousand anamations. pokemon would need 10s of millions.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Genius Sonority managed to do it for damn near 500 of them, probably over 500 if you count alternate forms and such.

Battle Revolution? that's also a game where its only purpose was battles and the game got a bunch of 5/10 scores because of how barebones the game was.
It might be the lowest rated Pokemon game of all time?

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Genius Sonority managed to do it for damn near 500 of them, probably over 500 if you count alternate forms and such.
Though, some of them were carried over from previous games with the earliest being 64, but then again GF had so many years since XY to update battle animations and still nothing.Pikachu, and other pokemon, still does the stupid hopping animation for multi-hit moves.

Edit: Thinking back I think some pokemon actually got updated animations in revolution, as Heracross doesn't do the Sumo stomp for earthquake.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
And they did literally nothing else with Battle Revolution. Gamefreak has to make an large RPG within a reasonable timeframe so that the TCG, anime, and other things have material to work with. They can't sit in their office for several years animating a bajillion attack animations.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Though, some of them were carried over from previous games with the earliest being 64, but then again GF had so many years since XY to update battle animations and still nothing.Pikachu, and other pokemon, still does the stupid hopping animation for multi-hit moves.

Edit: Thinking back I think some pokenon actually got updated animations in revolution, as Heracross doesn't do the Sumo stomp for earthquake.
though I wounder if people would be ok with a procedural animation system, of if people would just complain about all the weird animations

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Battle Revolution? that's also a game where its only purpose was battles and the game got a bunch of 5/10 scores because of how barebones the game was.
It might be the lowest rated Pokemon game of all time?
Well, that happens when Nintendo rushed the game to be release a year earlier than it supposed to be, as they wanted a big game for the winter season.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Stadium, Colosseum/XD, and Battle Revolution are very worth mining for animations. Off the top of my head, Milotic and Vileplume have some awesome ones in those games.

I usually remember Colosseum and XD being great. Like, I remember playing them on the GameCube and feeling like, wow, THIS is the future. But a few months ago I watched a video showcasing all of the Pokémon from XD, and I couldn't believe how bad they actually looked lol

On the other hand, I think Battle Revolution still looks awesome, more than 10 years later. I loved tha animations, the style, the music, everything was so well done. It only lacked a bit more of story and mini games.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So, like... Is anyone else going to attempt a media blackout? I want to feel like a kid again and commit to a game and starter based on nothing but what we know now, just like how I knew nothing going into Red Version. I want to be as blind as possible for the new game. I'm committing to Sobble and will choose a game based on the box art!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
So, like... Is anyone else going to attempt a media blackout? I want to feel like a kid again and commit to a game and starter based on nothing but what we know now, just like how I knew nothing going into Red Version. I want to be as blind as possible for the new game. I'm committing to Sobble and will choose a game based on the box art!
You're going to have to basically completely avoid youtube and most of social media. There are going to be tons of official and unofficial posts of trailers, screenshots, scans, etc. It's basically impossible if you are in the community.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
while its unlikely, do you think part of the story has you jioning some kind of pokemon team? the sports stuff is all over+ that outfit change. though I think its almost a 0% chance, it would be a intreasting, if only cosmetic, change.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You're going to have to basically completely avoid youtube and most of social media. There are going to be tons of official and unofficial posts of trailers, screenshots, scans, etc. It's basically impossible if you are in the community.

Also I'm too weak

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
while its unlikely, do you think part of the story has you jioning some kind of pokemon team? the sports stuff is all over+ that outfit change. though I think its almost a 0% chance, it would be a intreasting, if only cosmetic, change.
It would be cool and sort of a call back to casey from the anime, although that was baseball and not soccer.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Try blocking keywords like "Pokemon," "Sword and Shield," etc. on YouTube and social media so you can avoid spoilers without having to fear the internet

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
On the other hand, I think Battle Revolution still looks awesome, more than 10 years later. I loved tha animations, the style, the music, everything was so well done. It only lacked a bit more of story and mini games.
Yep, still a great looker, and it only amazes what could've been done if the wii was stronger. More than ten years later, and still nothing has come close to the fidelity of the first BR beta trailer.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, still a great looker, and it only amazes what could've been done if the wii was stronger. More than ten years later, and still nothing has come close to the fidelity of the first BR trailer.

It did look nice, shame it was one of the worst Pokemon games I ever played

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm well aware. Honestly, I'm gonna give it an honest try because it will be better for my health, too. I need to greatly reduce my use of the internet for a few months and give my eyes a rest from looking at screens all day every day. I stare at my computer screen so much it's insane. I'll be doing the same with Fire Emblem Three Houses after the February trailer.

Try blocking keywords like "Pokemon," "Sword and Shield," etc. on YouTube and social media so you can avoid spoilers without having to fear the internet
Thanks. Will do.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
As an aside, for people ragging on the mega charizards: Charizard honestly needed them. Before its mega evolutions, Charizard was NOTORIOUS in the competitive community as being among the worst Pokemon in the game that people gravitated towards. Mega Evolutions actually made it into a good Pokemon for once! Hell, a lot of mega evos people rag on for "being unneeded" actually saved a lot of Pokemon in gen 6 from being obsolete. Pokemon like Salamence, Scizor. Metagross, and Gyarados were getting seriously outpaced by powercreep (Salamence and Metagross in particular had pretty catostrophic usage and viability drops in XY), so they really needed Mega Evolutions to succeed.
Stop.

Powercreeping.

New Pokemon.

That or buff the base stats and move pools of old Pokemon. Megas and Z-moves are wholly unnecessary.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I know I shouldn't expect much from game freak but I will facepalm if this game still downsize Wailord in the final release. I want more Gale of Darkness and less XY.

2DuxjR7h.jpg
I think they're a good chance Wailord will be much larger (not to level of XD, but still a good improvement).
Pokemon-Ultra-Sun-and-Ultra-Moon-Brooklet-Hill-trial-guide-e1510971937714.jpg

They aren't scared to do huge ass pokemon models.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Stop.

Powercreeping.

New Pokemon.

That or buff the base stats and move pools of old Pokemon. Megas and Z-moves are wholly unnecessary.
megas are fine itadds a bit of guess work for the player, b/c it lets your openat hide something. as is you can tell what a team is going to do by the pokemon on it, allowing a mega adds a bit of mistory.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Off-topic commentary and modwhining, previous infractions
I'M NOT SAYIN THIS PARTICULAR MOVE ITSELF IS IDENTICAL. I'm saying THE WHOLE OF THE MOVES are in the same style and realization. because they clearly are

BlindHappygoluckyAmericanavocet-size_restricted.gif

as the animations of pokemons/characters, as the graphics in general and all. sword and shield are just a bit more detailed.

oh and mods, how is this "bad faith"? sorry but all my assumptions are based on actual facts. I'm a huge pokemon fan.
I completely agree. Not with your point. I agree that you being warned for 'arguing I'm bad faith' is ridiculous. The mods just literally picked sides, neither one of you was arguing in worse faith than the other. In fact of the two, LordKano was more aggressive and trolly.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
megas are fine itadds a bit of guess work for the player, b/c it lets your openat hide something. as is you can tell what a team is going to do by the pokemon on it, allowing a mega adds a bit of mistory.
Most of them are insanely easy to telegraph. Nobody is going to use normal Metagross, Venusaur, Pinsir, Heracross, Gardevoir, Lopunny, Manectric, Medicham etc. The only difficult one to predict, like Theorymon said, is Charizard because it has two options.

You know what makes battles predictable? Battle previews.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Stadium animations are an absolute treasure. It sucks that they're a lot slower to execute because of how exaggerated they are, but I absolutely love watching them. They were so expressive! I loved how Starmie would spin around like a boomerang to shoot a thunderbolt, or how Venusaur's eyes would turn red, or how a damaged Alakazam would fall back slowly, land on its back, lay on its side with its head resting on its arm, and hovering while still in this position to get back up. Also, Kangaskhan's animations are just wild and they crack me up.

Oh god, I have to share this! XD

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I know I shouldn't expect much from game freak but I will facepalm if this game still downsize Wailord in the final release. I want more Gale of Darkness and less XY.

2DuxjR7h.jpg

let go did alot better with pokemon scale

maxresdefault.jpg

they were just limited by the 3DS screen so they had to shrink things down in order to get every thing on it

BrutalBubble

Feb 21, 2019
Finally I found some time researching and analysing the trailer and I have to say the complaints about the graphics are for the most part hilarious. It's hard to see at first glimpse since they use they're Pokémon style almost unchanged (which might be the reason we don't have much better visual styles) but the graphics had improved vastly. They now use rather advanced mechanics like volumetric lighting (maybe, not too sure on that at the moment (look at the foggy forest)), normal and bump mapping (for some parts of the environment and maybe even slightly on the character models) and sometimes maybe physically based rendering though I'm not to sure on that.

For example for the first time in pokemon history the water is water and not a painted plane of blue and white colours. If you look at it, it has a much darker realistical tone and it's reflecting light! And not only light but it mirrors the surrounding landscape, something I've never expected from a pokemon game. The environment building and foliage is much more detailed with little leaves sticking out of a bush or an entire ivy vine as a single model and the bricks in walls seem to sticking more in and out (maybe normal map). And in the London themed steampunk city you can see somewhat more realistically shaded metal, that could be pbr (physically based rendering) or just a reflection map.. need to look at this some more.

The only thing that's not optimised are some washed out background and close up textures.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
For example for the first time in pokemon history the water is water and not a painted plane of blue and white colours. If you look at it, it has a much darker realistical tone and it's reflecting light! And not only light but it mirrors the surrounding landscape, something I've never expected from a pokemon game.

This is something blew up my mind... In 2001 when buying Dark Cloud on PS2. The fact that GF took so many years to implement it speaks for itself.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It speaks to the fact that they've spent almost the entire time since 2001 working on hardware weaker than the PS2.

?

They've been working on 3DS (more powerful than PS2 and at least capable of running modern water animation) since at least 2010 (when X/Y started development)...? Also, you can find modern water in plenty of early PS2/GC games from teams that were working on PS1.

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
Stadium animations are an absolute treasure. It sucks that they're a lot slower to execute because of how exaggerated they are, but I absolutely love watching them. They were so expressive! I loved how Starmie would spin around like a boomerang to shoot a thunderbolt, or how Venusaur's eyes would turn red, or how a damaged Alakazam would fall back slowly, land on its back, lay on its side with its head resting on its arm, and hovering while still in this position to get back up. Also, Kangaskhan's animations are just wild and they crack me up.

Oh god, I have to share this! XD

Savage attack, vicious attack, severe hit!!

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
I went on a social media blackout for Sun and moon after e3. Was hard as hell but it was so worth it.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
?

They've been working on 3DS (more powerful than PS2 and at least capable of running modern water animation) since at least 2010 (when X/Y started development)...? Also, you can find modern water in plenty of early PS2/GC games from teams that were working on PS1.
The 3ds wasn't a PSVita

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

I'm tempted BUT... I wanna see more lol I'm not gonna spoil myself but I just gotta see a story trailer.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
"There's nothing that looks remotely like it."

IdhNz9R.jpg

Come on, Gamexplain :P
Yeah. That was... rather odd lol

You can see the angled pillars of the stadium behind the same pantheon building, with the three-storey townhouses (with the snow-covered doorway canopies) in the front, and the snow-covered trees in the surrounds.

It's just that the tall buildings in that perspective have hidden the circular courtyard.