• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 9, 2018
That thread about designs took me back. Posts saying "new pokemon are too detailed and look like digimon and not real pokemon." It's like I'm back in 2010. Nostalgia.
I mean we have that in this thread too lol. I definitely remember someone saying Reshiram looks like a Digimon, when Reshiram doesn't even have as much detail as Greymon, a Digimon introduced in 1997. I'd really like to ask how people can think these things in 2019, but it's just not worth the effort.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I mean we have that in this thread too lol. I definitely remember someone saying Reshiram looks like a Digimon, when Reshiram doesn't even have as much detail as Greymon, a Digimon introduced in 1997. I'd really like to ask how people can think these things in 2019, but it's just not worth the effort.
It's more like people say things without thinking.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

Most people who make these Digimon comparisons don't even know how Digimon look like. It's just a quick way to shit on modern Pokémon because i-i-ice cone Pokémon.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I've just generally started to ignore when people judge Pokemon designs. Like there's so many there's bound to be some you like, love, hate, dislike, etc. And there's no right or wrong way to design them.

I don't like Ultra Beasts. That doesn't mean they're not Pokemon. its really not that difficult a concept to grasp.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Are people confused by how Ice could be super effective against water just not aware of the fact ice type attacks have been shown to freeze what they touch, like water? I mean obviously we don't have freezing beams irl, no one is arguing ice cubes freeze water.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we're at a point where logic doesn't necessarily have to come into play when it comes to balancing. If it needs to be balanced (and it does) then it will get done, logic be damned

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I take that to mean nothing in April. Pretty sure in the past they would specifically mention there'd be info in the next issue, not simply future issues. Of course I'd be happy to be wrong.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I've just generally started to ignore when people judge Pokemon designs. Like there's so many there's bound to be some you like, love, hate, dislike, etc. And there's no right or wrong way to design them.

I don't like Ultra Beasts. That doesn't mean they're not Pokemon. its really not that difficult a concept to grasp.
So far my only question is why they decided for the first time to have all 3 starters having the same head shape, I'd say it's just James Turner's preference or something, but I expect there to be more behind that decision.
(And also they'll probably grown on on me more as time passes, as always)

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
So far my only question is why they decided for the first time to have all 3 starters having the same head shape, I'd say it's just James Turner's preference or something, but I expect there to be more behind that decision.
(And also they'll probably grown on on me more as time passes, as always)

yeah I can get that. But to fall back on sad, tired examples: it's like the same song when people are like "all designs after Gen X..."

no. stop. Please. Gen 2 is my favorite. There's been so many awesome Pokemon that's come after. You just want to be hone-edgy

Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly. The added weakness to Rock is huge. Stealth Rock weakness, Tyranitar weakness. If anything it's a weaker Steel type.
You said Ice and Rock are neutral in that case. The only weakness Ice has in your post is Steel, an incredibly weak offensive typing, and Ice would beat Steel, too. You've created Gen 1 Psychic pretty much, in that the only weakness it possesses is offensively irrelevant.

Fake Edit: I forgot that fire exists, but that still doesn't change how broken Ice is in that case.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Hot take
I think the types are balanced perfectly as is and the differences in strength and abilities of individual Pokemon is much more important than making adjustments per individual types
Like if you look at bug types, they're awful on paper, but have some really amazing mons by virtue of good stats, moves and abilities. Most Pokemon don't want to be rock or ice, but they're still the best offensive types and suited for a glass cannon archetype. The Pokemon that don't get that suffer, but it's ok for some Pokemon to be bad

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The wording does imply CoroCoro is going to get some exclusives this cycle though

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
I still think we'll get something in April. They've held back a lot of info about the starters and haven't shown them in game yet.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
That thread about designs took me back. Posts saying "new pokemon are too detailed and look like digimon and not real pokemon." It's like I'm back in 2010. Nostalgia.

Didn't read that thread, but I kinda get it. I mean, I'm lowkey genwunner, in the sense that it's always gonna be my favorite generation of Pokémon, in terms of the creatures themselves (I think my favorite generation overal is IV) but I also love the new Pokémon.

It does take me a while to get used to them, and yes, Gen V was especially harder than even Gen VI or VII.

It's true, there isn't just one way to design Pokémon, and they can't all look the same, but it's also not that crazy to expect the following generations to follow the patterns, to put it some way, that the first generation defined, because, well, it's what started it all. First 151 Pokémon are what defined what a Pokémon should look like, so anything that came after it that looked different than that, it's gonna be looked as some kind of foreign creature that doesn't belong to the franchise.

I remember thinking Kyogre and Groudon looked like Digimon, and now we have things like Zygarde Complete, or Buzzwole or Hoopa, Necrozma's forms, and just make Groudon and Kyogre look very simple in comparison.

But I repeat, I always end up getting used to the new Pokémon, and I think it's mostly because the Ken Sugimori artwork makes them look like they all belong to the same franchise. But now that there's other artists doing the official artwork too, even though they emulate Ken's style, they're starting to make Pokémon look different.

But anyways, I think it's not ok to criticize new Pokémon, they obviously will keep introducing new designs every generation, and that's fine, but also find ridiculous people that come after Muk, Electrode, Magnemite, Rattata, like, c'mon.

But the "don't look like Pokémon" I think it all comes down to the types of eyes they use for newer Pokémon. We've all heard the story that because of the Game Boy's capabilities they had to put very simple eyes to Gen I's Pokés, and very similar all of them, but that's not an obstacle anymore with newer consoles, thus the variety of designs we get nowadays. There was even a 9gag post or I don't know from where, that showed newer Pokémon with Gen I style of eyes, and they really looked more "Pokémon-ish".

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Hot take
I think the types are balanced perfectly as is and the differences in strength and abilities of individual Pokemon is much more important than making adjustments per individual types
Like if you look at bug types, they're awful on paper, but have some really amazing mons by virtue of good stats, moves and abilities. Most Pokemon don't want to be rock or ice, but they're still the best offensive types and suited for a glass cannon archetype. The Pokemon that don't get that suffer, but it's ok for some Pokemon to be bad
Why does Rock get to have as many resistances as it has weaknesses, though, while Ice only resists itself? The problem isn't that we just don't want some Pokemon to be bad, it's that Ice straight up has it worse than every other type in the game and gets thrown the tiniest of bones to compensate. Being a glass cannon isn't just about being a certain type, and there aren't many Ice types with the stat spread to be appropriately placed in such a role. The only other type with more weaknesses than it has resistances is Psychic, and that's 3 to 2 compared to Ice's 4 to 1. If they can't have as many resistances as they have weaknesses like Bug and Rock do, they could at the very least pick up two additional resistances to tip the scales a bit. As it is now, carrying an Ice typing doesn't provide anywhere near the amount of perks to justify how poor they are defensively. The stab straight up isn't worth it when you could be using something else with better resistance and coverage.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't read that thread, but I kinda get it. I mean, I'm lowkey genwunner, in the sense that it's always gonna be my favorite generation of Pokémon, in terms of the creatures themselves (I think my favorite generation overal is IV) but I also love the new Pokémon.

It does take me a while to get used to them, and yes, Gen V was especially harder than even Gen VI or VII.

It's true, there isn't just one way to design Pokémon, and they can't all look the same, but it's also not that crazy to expect the following generations to follow the patterns, to put it some way, that the first generation defined, because, well, it's what started it all. First 151 Pokémon are what defined what a Pokémon should look like, so anything that came after it that looked different than that, it's gonna be looked as some kind of foreign creature that doesn't belong to the franchise.

I remember thinking Kyogre and Groudon looked like Digimon, and now we have things like Zygarde Complete, or Buzzwole or Hoopa, Necrozma's forms, and just make Groudon and Kyogre look very simple in comparison.

But I repeat, I always end up getting used to the new Pokémon, and I think it's mostly because the Ken Sugimori artwork makes them look like they all belong to the same franchise. But now that there's other artists doing the official artwork too, even though they emulate Ken's style, they're starting to make Pokémon look different.

But anyways, I think it's not ok to criticize new Pokémon, they obviously will keep introducing new designs every generation, and that's fine, but also find ridiculous people that come after Muk, Electrode, Magnemite, Rattata, like, c'mon.

But the "don't look like Pokémon" I think it all comes down to the types of eyes they use for newer Pokémon. We've all heard the story that because of the Game Boy's capabilities they had to put very simple eyes to Gen I's Pokés, and very similar all of them, but that's not an obstacle anymore with newer consoles, thus the variety of designs we get nowadays. There was even a 9gag post or I don't know from where, that showed newer Pokémon with Gen I style of eyes, and they really looked more "Pokémon-ish".
Yea...that eyes meme has been made fun of for years as being the reason "they don't look like pokemon". It just seems so silly that different styled eyes is the reason why they apparently look like digimon.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I wonder if we will ever see a late game Normal Type Gym (I know about Norman but I take endgame as 6,7,8) or a Normal Type Elite Four Member

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Yea...that eyes meme has been made fun of for years as being the reason "they don't look like pokemon". It just seems so silly that different styled eyes is the reason why they apparently look like digimon.

I wish they used the Charmander/Squirtle eyes again for a new Pokémon, not necessarily the starters, but just some random Pokémon. I think Minccino is the closest. Even those triangular eyes here and there, and I think they've probably had in some instances. I think that kinda would make the whole generation feel a bit more "Pokémon-ish". But I think Gen VII did a great job, especially because of the color palettes they used.

But yeah, Digimon are really not like that. They're, different...

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Why does Rock get to have as many resistances as it has weaknesses, though, while Ice only resists itself? The problem isn't that we just don't want some Pokemon to be bad, it's that Ice straight up has it worse than every other type in the game and gets thrown the tiniest of bones to compensate. Being a glass cannon isn't just about being a certain type, and there aren't many Ice types with the stat spread to be appropriately placed in such a role. The only other type with more weaknesses than it has resistances is Psychic, and that's 3 to 2 compared to Ice's 4 to 1. If they can't have as many resistances as they have weaknesses like Bug and Rock do, they could at the very least pick up two additional resistances to tip the scales a bit. As it is now, carrying an Ice typing doesn't provide anywhere near the amount of perks to justify how poor they are defensively. The stab straight up isn't worth it when you could be using something else with better resistance and coverage.
In the right circumstances with the right spread, ice types can be deadly. Like weavile, who doesn't even hit 130 base speed. Give it a weakened team, and it's sweeping. You're right though that Pokemon that fit this role are far and few between, but that isn't a justification. Avalugg sucks, but that's just it, defensive ice types ain't good and that's okay.
Good ice types include, weavile, mamoswine, cloyster, Alolan Ninetales and arguably froslass and jynx. All offensive Pokemon. But even then, none of them have particularly amazing stat spreads. Their abilities and ice stab help them greatly to become good. Everyone and their mom wants ice beam in their learnset.
But also the ice type pool isn't too big to begin with as it's the rarest type in the game.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Diagla and Palkia look simple in comparison to Buzzwole, Guzzlord, Zygarde-Complete, Necrozma (DW, DM, UB)
Buzzwole and Guzzlord are fairy simple especially when compared to Dialga. Buzzwole especially is just a cool buff mosquito, it just looks alien because it, and most UBs don't really have a face, and they feel alien, because they're extradimensional pokemon it fits with their theme perfectly imo.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I think Normal is probably just too weak offensively to make a late game fight. Not being able to deal STAB super effective damage is too much of a big thing.

Maybe if they include Normal Type Pokémon that have a secondary type, like Pyroar, Heliolisk, Sawsbuck, Girafarig, Diggersby, Bewear, a bird Pokémon, etc. It would be more of an all types Gym Leader / Elite 4 member.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The eyes argument never made any sense, there are so many gen 1 Pokémon with round eyes.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
I think Normal is probably just too weak offensively to make a late game fight. Not being able to deal STAB super effective damage is too much of a big thing.
No way, you could easily make a powerful late Normal Gym team. E.g Snorlax, Blissey, Bewear, Staraptor etc. I think the only problem would be with having a counter to Fighting types, so you'd have to go with one of the Normal birds, Wigglytuff or Oranguru lol. Hopefully we finally get a long awaited Normal/Ghost type in the new gen.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
The eyes argument never made any sense, there are so many gen 1 Pokémon with round eyes.

I don't think it's much about if they were round or triangular, but the design itself.

In the first generation we have that kind of eyes from Squirtle, Bulbasaur, etc which is more oval, then we have the "Dragon Ball" like eyes, like Pinsir, Scyther, Dodrio, etc. Then we have the pointy eyes like Oddish, Vileplume, Bellsprout. And so on. As I said on other post, for better or for worse, those were the types of eyes introduced in the first generation, and anything that stays away from that will seem strange to many people. The second generation still retained most of the styles from the first, while introducing a few more. But from the third generation onwards, designs became fresher, more modernized and stylized. Edgier, cooler, more digimon-ish while not exactly digimon.

I think it's ok eyes "evolved" because now they can have prettier designs, but I do see the difference they talk about. It really makes a huge difference, but kinda makes them look "old".

AfpgiV6.gif

lYZ5T1K.gif

aa9efIg.gif

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
lmfao those eyes edits look awful.

Goodra especially looks similar to Dragonite and even Dragonite has rounded eyes.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
While we are at the subject of Pokemon designs, can we all agree Tepig's yellow mark is garbage and detracts from his design?

F8ZtvTP.jpg

Thank you.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I don't think it's much about if they were round or triangular, but the design itself.

In the first generation we have that kind of eyes from Squirtle, Bulbasaur, etc which is more oval, then we have the "Dragon Ball" like eyes, like Pinsir, Scyther, Dodrio, etc. Then we have the pointy eyes like Oddish, Vileplume, Bellsprout. And so on. As I said on other post, for better or for worse, those were the types of eyes introduced in the first generation, and anything that stays away from that will seem strange to many people. The second generation still retained most of the styles from the first, while introducing a few more. But from the third generation onwards, designs became fresher, more modernized and stylized. Edgier, cooler, more digimon-ish while not exactly digimon.

I think it's ok eyes "evolved" because now they can have prettier designs, but I do see the difference they talk about. It really makes a huge difference, but kinda makes them look "old".

AfpgiV6.gif

lYZ5T1K.gif

aa9efIg.gif

Honestly the eyes make a huge difference. If every new Pokemon had gen 1 eyes, I guarantee that the general consensus wouldn't bag on the newer pokes as hard.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Honestly the eyes make a huge difference. If every new Pokemon had gen 1 eyes, I guarantee that the general consensus wouldn't bag on the newer pokes as hard.
I much prefer the new more diverse eyes, like for Greninja for example, the old eyes looks so off putting and much less frog-esque than his actual eyes. The angry triangle eyes honestly don't fit a lot of pokemon and makes them feel less unique.

Jan 9, 2018
Yeah, not a fan of the "old style" eyes on new Pokemon. It looks very wrong, like pasting the face of an old Pokemon onto a new one.

Pokémon are Pokémon because they're Pokémon. That's a fact. You can dislike or hate as many as you want, but let's not start down this rabbit hole of "fixing" them (I mean, not that discussion about how you would change a design is bad, but the idea that we need "fix" them to make them into Pokémon or something is just odd).

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018

I remember Iris had a perpetually angry Dragonite in the anime.

250px-Iris_and_Dragonite.png

It does give Dragonite a less friendly vibe, but I don't think it makes it look any more like a Pokémon than it already did. So sometimes the eye comparisons just look like they're saying "why don't they look angry?" There's a fun little game I did a while back where I look at all the gens, and using the eye criteria, find which designs are secretly Gen 1, Gurdurr for example.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Buzzwole and Guzzlord are fairy simple especially when compared to Dialga. Buzzwole especially is just a cool buff mosquito, it just looks alien because it, and most UBs don't really have a face, and they feel alien, because they're extradimensional pokemon it fits with their theme perfectly imo.

UAQZNPb.jpg

I love everything about Buzwole. Just wish its compound eyes looked a bit more distinct lol.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
UAQZNPb.jpg

I love everything about Buzwole. Just wish its compound eyes looked a bit more distinct lol.
I just really hope we get more Ultra Beast-esque designs. Incomprehensible creatures that don't necessarily follow design conventions of humanoids or animals much at all. Xurkitree and its world in particular were really cool, and abstract shit like Blacephalon, Stakataka, Kartana, and Celesteela are great. I think its one of the best concepts in Pokemon, but I'm not surprised opinion on them tends to be mixed, since they're a bit out there.