• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While we are at the subject of Pokemon designs, can we all agree Tepig's yellow mark is garbage and detracts from his design?

F8ZtvTP.jpg

Thank you.
They need the yellow for the gold trim on the evos.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's much about if they were round or triangular, but the design itself.

In the first generation we have that kind of eyes from Squirtle, Bulbasaur, etc which is more oval, then we have the "Dragon Ball" like eyes, like Pinsir, Scyther, Dodrio, etc. Then we have the pointy eyes like Oddish, Vileplume, Bellsprout. And so on. As I said on other post, for better or for worse, those were the types of eyes introduced in the first generation, and anything that stays away from that will seem strange to many people. The second generation still retained most of the styles from the first, while introducing a few more. But from the third generation onwards, designs became fresher, more modernized and stylized. Edgier, cooler, more digimon-ish while not exactly digimon.

I think it's ok eyes "evolved" because now they can have prettier designs, but I do see the difference they talk about. It really makes a huge difference, but kinda makes them look "old".

AfpgiV6.gif

lYZ5T1K.gif

aa9efIg.gif
Goodra looks kinda odd, but I definitely see your point. The changes eyes definitely give newer Pokémon that "gen 1/2" look.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
While we are at the subject of Pokemon designs, can we all agree Tepig's yellow mark is garbage and detracts from his design?

F8ZtvTP.jpg

Thank you.
That edit looks markedly worse to me. The yellow provides a nice break from looking to plain and ties in nicely with the gold on its later evos. Also makes his nose look like a lit coal which ties in to the fire beard Emboar gets

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I just really hope we get more Ultra Beast-esque designs. Incomprehensible creatures that don't necessarily follow design conventions of humanoids or animals much at all. Xurkitree and its world in particular were really cool, and abstract shit like Blacephalon, Stakataka, Kartana, and Celesteela are great. I think its one of the best concepts in Pokemon, but I'm not surprised opinion on them tends to be mixed, since they're a bit out there.

I agree. I fell in love with them all when they first got revealed. And all the speculation about what they were since they were portrayed as mysterious, possibly antagonistic invaders. Especially when being called Ultra Beasts rather than Pokemon. I really like the the invader theme and having a chimera Pokemon designed to deal with them.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's much about if they were round or triangular, but the design itself.

In the first generation we have that kind of eyes from Squirtle, Bulbasaur, etc which is more oval, then we have the "Dragon Ball" like eyes, like Pinsir, Scyther, Dodrio, etc. Then we have the pointy eyes like Oddish, Vileplume, Bellsprout. And so on. As I said on other post, for better or for worse, those were the types of eyes introduced in the first generation, and anything that stays away from that will seem strange to many people. The second generation still retained most of the styles from the first, while introducing a few more. But from the third generation onwards, designs became fresher, more modernized and stylized. Edgier, cooler, more digimon-ish while not exactly digimon.

I think it's ok eyes "evolved" because now they can have prettier designs, but I do see the difference they talk about. It really makes a huge difference, but kinda makes them look "old".

AfpgiV6.gif

lYZ5T1K.gif

aa9efIg.gif
These adits are awful in every way, they don't look more "Pokémon" and they don't even make them feel more like gen 1.
They just look stupid lol. Thank Arceus there are actual designers behind Pokémon

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

AfpgiV6.gif

lYZ5T1K.gif

aa9efIg.gif
Those are terrible

Gamefreak learned a long time ago not to just lazily slap Vegeta eyes on to everything, and their designs are better off for it.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was playing Ultra Sun earlier in the week and ran into an Elgyem (the 5th Gen alien pokemon) who I haven't seen in any of the 3D games.
I remember thinking it was a neat looking Pokemon but never used one.
tumblr_opkgsobXIN1uh3x51o3_250.gif

One thing that I didn't realize about it is that in 3D it floats, I had no idea about that.

So when I encountered one in Ultra Sun it was a big surprise to me, and I went "Hey, I've never used one of these!" I caught it and slotted it into my team and I love it.

The longer the series goes on the more I learn to appreciate every Pokemon, even if I don't like them straight away I usually end up liking them for some reason or another, even it's just because they are a neat concept.

Utterly sick of Gen 1 at this point though, and I have a strange hatred of Grumpig that I can't explain to this day (love Spoink though)

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing Ultra Sun earlier in the week and ran into an Elgyem (the 5th Gen alien pokemon) who I haven't seen in any of the 3D games.

One thing that I didn't realize about it is that in 3D it floats, I had no idea about that.

So when I encountered one in Ultra Sun it was a big surprise to me, and I went "Hey, I've never used one of these!" I caught it and slotted it into my team and I love it.

The longer the series goes on the more I learn to appreciate every Pokemon, even if I don't like them straight away I usually end up liking them for some reason or another, even it's just because they are a neat concept.

Utterly sick of Gen 1 at this point though, and I have a strange hatred of Grumpig that I can't explain to this day (love Spoink though)
Elygem is great, both cute and cool design, and interesting lore to it. Not surprised coming from gen 5 though.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

AfpgiV6.gif

lYZ5T1K.gif

aa9efIg.gif
Man am I glad genwunners at least don't dictate nee designs.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I'm pretty mixed on the UBs, which is fine because I'm pretty mixed on all Pokemon in general. Making more is fine, but I don't think we'd need more than just a couple per game. It'd be something nice to do in post-game.

Buzzwole, Guzzlord, Poipole, and Naganadel are all really great, but Pheramosa is pretty bad. Nihilego's alright, and while I don't care for Kartana's or Blazephalon's designs, their animations are pretty neat. Xurkitree, Celesteela, and Stakataka simply exist. Oh wait I guess the Cosmog family are technically UBs too. Cosmog and Lunala are great, Solgaleo's fine, and Cosmoem also exists.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I do think the gen 1 designs were better, but I'm fully aware that this isn't an objective fact, and is probably very very biased by the fact that I was a little kid during the 90s Pokemon crazy and I grew up watching, drawing, catching, modeling in clay and whatever else you could do with these things. It's a very emotional relationship, and it's obviously gonna have a special place in my heart forever.

I also think that the design philosophies have changed a lot since then, and trying to analyze rationally, I can see the strenghts gen 1 had. The designs were way more simple and relied less on common design tropes to appeal, it felt fresh at the time and I think things like Poliwhirl would still feel fresh today. There weren't many "cool" Pokemon, like Charizard and stuff, most of them were appealing due to how charming they were in their simplicity. I think this quality is way harder to achieve than what they are going for today.

But that doesn't detract from their modern design philosophies either. There's still a lot to love in these games to this day, and the fact that some designs are still able to captivate me even though I'm not a 10yo kid anymore says a lot. I might not like all of them, but that's not a problem, we get dozens each generation. I think gen 5 was the most shocking one and it's still the one I like less, but since then I'm trying to be more positive and I can say I really like the designs from gen 7. When you let go and let yourself enjoy the mons for what they are, it gets much easier.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the biggest reason why designs are more simple was due to the Gameboy. As technology got better, the limitations were lifted to do crazier designs. Gen 6 and 7 in particular also have designs that benefits from 3d like... Alolan Muk for example.

Designs wouldve ultimately stagnated if there was no room to improve.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
I think the only reason I like a lot of gen 1-2 designs is because a lot of them are weird amalgamations of different animals and creatures, while later generations adopted the feel of just taking existing creatures and making them super cartoony

that said, I do strongly believe that generation 7 is the high point of the series pokemon-design wise. SO many memorable, clever pokemon that I think people will continue to talk about for years to come (Mimikyu, Bewear, Decideye, Rowlet, rockruff, wishiwashi just to name a few)

also, I saw corocoro leak and it mentions to wait for "follow up"? Does that indicate news for next month or should we be wary of the wording?

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the biggest reason why designs are more simple was due to the Gameboy. As technology got better, the limitations were lifted to do crazier designs. Gen 6 and 7 in particular also have designs that benefits from 3d like... Alolan Muk for example.

Designs wouldve ultimately stagnated if there was no room to improve.

I see this argument a lot, but I really don't agree. There were already plenty of Pokemon that didn't translate very well into Red and Green sprites, if not most of them. Sugimori's artwork is radically different from what we see in the games, so I don't really see that they were trying to simplify anything to achieve more fidelity.

I think they were simpler because these were simpler times, there were way less monster franchises than today, we had seen way less tropes and different designs from media in general, so they didn't need to try too hard to come up with something fresh. Hell, at the time Digimon wasn't even a thing.

Today a design like Pidgey simply isn't passable, it has to have colors, pointy feathers, big eyes, or else it won't be noticed.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
I see this argument a lot, but I really don't agree. There were already plenty of Pokemon that didn't translate very well into Red and Green sprites, if not most of them. Sugimori's artwork is radically different from what we see in the games, so I don't really see that they were trying to simplify anything to achieve more fidelity.

I think they were simpler because these were simpler times, there were way less monster franchises than today, we had seen way less tropes and different designs from media in general, so they didn't need to try too hard to come up with something fresh. Hell, at the time Digimon wasn't even a thing.

Today a design like Pidgey simply isn't passable, it has to have colors, pointy feathers, big eyes, or else it won't be noticed.

Something really important to note is that in gens 1 and 2, Pokemon were designed as sprites first, artwork second. Afaik, Sugimori's artwork in gen 1 actually deviated from the designs because he didn't like some of them too much lol, and the anime further standardized some gen 1 stuff we take for granted.

This is also part of why the original Red and Green have such wack ass sprites compared to Blue and Yellow lol

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017

It would be nice if they padded out the dexes for each game with a variety from every gen rather than just going back to the old standbys every time. Like, use the fact that there are hundreds of pokemon that a lot of people have never seen or haven't seen in years to your advantage instead of smothering the player in caterpies and pidgeys

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

But we then had Pokemon Blue sprites and later Pokemon Yellow sprites, the latter which made them look far closer to watch they actually looked like.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017

AfpgiV6.gif

lYZ5T1K.gif

aa9efIg.gif
Genwunners were playin pokemon at the same time they were watching Dragon Ball Z. Often literally the same time since they were playing it on the couch during commercial breaks of DBZ. They want everything to look like that because it's nostalgic to them, but they have trouble putting into words why they want those eyes so much because they don't have self awareness. That's all there is to it. They don't actually care about the aesthetics, they just care about what is nostalgic to them.

(I actually think Greninja looks better with the eye edit)

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
What is wrong with you tepig is perfect ;p
Tepig is cool until it evolves, much like the other gen 5 starters. The yellow mark is cool though.
It would be nice if they padded out the dexes for each game with a variety from every gen rather than just going back to the old standbys every time. Like, use the fact that there are hundreds of pokemon that a lot of people have never seen or haven't seen in years to your advantage instead of smothering the player in caterpies and pidgeys
While Alola has a lot of Kanto Pokemon, the individual dexes didn't do a bad job pulling from the other gens.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Emboar always struck me as a Pokemon that I would've thought would be more popular around these parts. I wonder if the Fighting-type sunk it

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Emboar always struck me as a Pokemon that I would've thought would be more popular around these parts. I wonder if the Fighting-type sunk it

I am definitely tired of Fire/Fighting starters, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a good design.

Emboar does not have a good design.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
In the right circumstances with the right spread, ice types can be deadly. Like weavile, who doesn't even hit 130 base speed. Give it a weakened team, and it's sweeping. You're right though that Pokemon that fit this role are far and few between, but that isn't a justification. Avalugg sucks, but that's just it, defensive ice types ain't good and that's okay.
Good ice types include, weavile, mamoswine, cloyster, Alolan Ninetales and arguably froslass and jynx. All offensive Pokemon. But even then, none of them have particularly amazing stat spreads. Their abilities and ice stab help them greatly to become good. Everyone and their mom wants ice beam in their learnset.
But also the ice type pool isn't too big to begin with as it's the rarest type in the game.
A handful of decent Ice types that rely heavily on their abilities and secondary typings doesn't mean that the others don't need/shouldn't get help, though. There should be Ice types that excel defensively despite their weaknesses, but Ice doesn't bring anything to the table. Offensively, having Ice type stab is nice, but not essential, and in a lot of cases, just less efficient than using something else with an Ice type move. Making better Ice type Pokemon in general should be an objective, but there's an inherent part of being an Ice type that is so lackluster that it's worth addressing. Arbitrarily painting them into a corner and limiting their potential just isn't fun.

Last edited:

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
The bottom half of Emboar is a different shade of orange from its top half.

This bothers me.

But honestly, I hate that it's Fire/Fighting, I hate that it's bipedal, and I don't very much like the design in general, lol.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like Emboar more than Infernape

Is there something wrong with me

Yes. ;D

I guess what I should've said is I'm curious as to what people specifically dislike about it

Its face namely. I don't like the line at all outside of Tepig. Felt like it works a lot better if the line didn't end up becoming bipedal too. I'll admit, the colors its working with are pretty cool, but overall I'm just not a fan.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, actually to be even more specific, I don't like Emboar's long ass arms in contrast to its short legs and its small head. It makes for such an odd silhouette that isn't very appealing... Pretty much that and what I said before is why I really don't like it. :x

all of tepig is garbage

Aight, you ain't gotta say all that.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's just how nostalgia bait annoys me changing my views on things I used to like more in the past, but I will never get the "90s designs" love people have in japanese pop media. The 80's trends aged better than 90s and we get more variety in designs these days, which is reflected in how much variety you get in stuff like Pokémon designs. I love stuff like Ultra Beasts being acceptable today.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Infernape > Blaziken > Charizard >>>>>>>>>> Typhlosion > Delphox > Incineroar > Emboar

Truth

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Delphox is probably my least favorite looking fire starter, though I think it looks better in the anime. Typhlosion is just straight up boring to me.

Dec 31, 2018
Infernape > Blaziken > Charizard >>>>>>>>>> Typhlosion > Delphox > Incineroar > Emboar

Truth
OOOfff. I always knew my opinion on starters was always different from the popular opinion, but for me it would be Typhlosion>Delphox>Infernape>Incineroar=Emboar>>> Charizard>Blaziken.

I used to really like Charizard, but I've just seen too much of it lately.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Typhlosion is the only fire starter I ever picked, so he's the best one. Then it's Blaziken in second. I don't care enough about the other to rank them, but Charizard is last because of overexposure.