• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Infernape > Blaziken > Charizard >>>>>>>>>> Typhlosion > Delphox > Incineroar > Emboar

Truth
Delphox is probably my least favorite looking fire starter, though I think it looks better in the anime. Typhlosion is just straight up boring to me.
Typhlosion > Charizard > Blaziken > Infernape >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Incineroar > Emboar >>>>>>>>> Delphox

It breaks my heart when people can't appreciate Typhlosion...

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Charizard ≥ Blaziken > Infernape > Emboar >Power gap> Delphox > Tysplosion >Power gap> Incineroar
For me

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
I love Tepig so much I even got a plush of it. None of the other fire starters come close.

It only gets better with Pignite and Emboar. <3

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
the only fire starter I've ever gone with was Delphox and it was really only because Braixen is so good

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how you have the so called "genwunners", and then you have the guys who will tell you every single design from gen 1-2 is overrated, boring, and they can never, ever be better than anything that came after.

Life is all about balance, guys.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
For me the order for fire starters is probably

Infernape>Charizard=Incineroar>Typhlosion>Delphox>Emboar. The Anime portrayals really help with Infernape and Incineroar in particular. Infernape is probably the best pokemon Ash has ever owned and Incineroar has a ton of personality in the anime and smash, and even in the base game

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how you have the so called "genwunners", and then you have the guys who will tell you every single design from gen 1-2 is overrated, boring, and they can never, ever be better than anything that came after.

Life is all about balance, guys.
Or how about people can appreciate different things without having to "balance" it out for others? Now not thinking Charizard is the absolute best is seen as having some bias against gen 1? Lol
Pikachu and Bulbasaur shit all over Charizard

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Boy, am I concerned about the postgame. Give me AT LEAST a Sinnoh-level postgame for this full priced console game. ...Or bring back the VS Seeker, whichever one.

Also you're all wrong, it's
Typhlosion = Blaziken > Infernape > Charizard > Delphox > Emboar > Incineroar

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
While we are at the subject of Pokemon designs, can we all agree Tepig's yellow mark is garbage and detracts from his design?

F8ZtvTP.jpg

Thank you.
Still a better fire starter design than scorbunny

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Devaluing something for exposure or popularity always seemed weird to me. Getting more attention doesn't make them any less timeless creature designs.
I mean, people are weird and we're influenced by so many factors. It's hard to be completely neutral. I never was a big Charizard fan and thought he was kinda weird, but didn't mind as much until he got too overexposed. With time my opinion started to change and influence how I view it. I'm not trying to say "he's objectively trash", just that I started to dislike the design more with the time because of other factors adding to my view of it.

For reference, I love Charizard Y and wish the actual Charizard looked like it. It's sleek, cool and simple in a way that still fits Charmander and Charmeleon.

bdb82bf3aaa99821d274430f190e722b4b78f8c4_hq.jpg

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Fire starter designs have been some of the ugliest out of all the starters. The only one I really like is Charizard. My dislike for fighting types also didn't really help.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, people are weird and we're influenced by so many factors. It's hard to be completely neutral. I never was a big Charizard fan and thought he was kinda weird, but didn't mind as much until he got too overexposed. With time my opinion started to change and influence how I view it. I'm not trying to say "he's trash", just that I started to dislike the design more with the time because of other factors.

For reference, I love Charizard Y and wish the actual Charizard looked like it. It's sleek, cool and simple in a way that still fits Charmander and Charmeleon.

I don't mind the mega version, but it definitely looks like a mega version. Its angrier and has a whole lot more spikes and details. I think base Charizard is great as its such a strong shape design with its body being basically a sphere, while the mega one even added a clavicle which makes its shoulders look weirdly human. You mentioned Atsuko in the other thread which is interesting to point out that her favourite Pokemon is in fact Charizard.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Fire starters are definitely my least favorite overall. Charizard was overrated to me since the start. Typhlosion is just kind of plain, but he has cool sprites. Fuck furry suit chicken. Infernape is great. Emboar is disappointing, but not bad. Delphox sucks. Incineroar....is incineroar, basically a meme at this point because of kencineroar.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The Mega Charizards are great because they actually make the Pokemon usaable.

I mean, people are weird and we're influenced by so many factors. It's hard to be completely neutral. I never was a big Charizard fan and thought he was kinda weird, but didn't mind as much until he got too overexposed. With time my opinion started to change and influence how I view it. I'm not trying to say "he's objectively trash", just that I started to dislike the design more with the time because of other factors adding to my view of it.

Charizard has always been "overexposed" imo.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Alright, so while we're on the topic, give me your Grass and Water starter lists
Grass (The type for those with good taste).
Torterra > Sceptile > Meganium > Venusaur > Serperior > Decidueye > Chesnaught

Water (I'm not a water starter guy besides Feraligatr).
Feraligatr > Samurott > Primarina > Swampert > Empoleon > Blastoise = Greninja

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Empoleon > Feraligatr = Samurott > Swampert > Primarina > Greninja > Blastoise

Decidueye = Torterra > Sceptile > Serperior > Meganium = Venusaur > Chestnaught

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the mega version, but it definitely looks like a mega version. Its angrier and has a whole lot more spikes and details. I think base Charizard is great as its such a strong shape design with its body being basically a sphere, while the mega one even added a clavicle which makes its shoulders look weirdly human. You mentioned Atsuko in the other thread which is interesting to point out that her favourite Pokemon is in fact Charizard.
I just don't like the proportions of the normal one. I also don't feel Mega Y is that edgy? It just seems like a sleek normal Charizar. The only thing a bit too much are the small wings in its arms, but they're kinda cool imo.

Like I said, it's just a personal indifference that grew to dislike over time seeing it getting all stuff over the other Pokémon I like more. I understand people like it, I just prefer other Fire starters way way more.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care for fire starters enough to make a list, but I say Venusaur>Sceptile>Decidueye>Serperior>Torterra>Meganium>>>>>>>>>>>>>>every other grass Pokemon>>>Chesnaught

Or how about people can appreciate different things without having to "balance" it out for others? Now not thinking Charizard is the absolute best is seen as having some bias against gen 1? Lol
Pikachu and Bulbasaur shit all over Charizard

It's just that saying older Pokemon are boring, overrated, overused, etc, seems to be like a norm opinion now, and it's getting annoying. My post wasn't directed to you, although it was motivated by your opinion on Charizard and other's on Typhlosion, and the discussion about the eyes a couple pages back, and how Seel is now trash although it's really a fine looking cute Pokemon, and so many other stuff.

I just don't think it's fair to criticize people who hate on gen 3-onward and then proceed to be hating of gen 1-2. It's hate all the same, makes equally no sense. Not saying you're guilty of it, but it's definitely a thing around here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't like the proportions of the normal one. I also don't feel Mega Y is that edgy? It just seems like a sleek normal Charizar. The only thing a bit too much are the small wings in its arms, but they're kinda cool imo.

Like I said, it's just a personal indifference that grew to dislike over time seeing it getting all stuff over the other Pokémon I like more. I understand people like it, I just prefer other Fire starters way way more.
Well, I know I still like charizard over Kentucky fried furry.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care for fire starters enough to make a list, but I say

It's just that saying older Pokemon are boring overrated, overused, etc, seems to be like a norm opinion now, and it's getting annoying. My post wasn't directed to you, although it was motivated by your opinion on Charizard and other's on Typhlosion, and the discussion about the eyes a couple pages back, and how Seel is now trash although it's really a fine looking cute Pokemon, and so many other stuff.

I just don't think it's fair to criticize people who hate on gen 3-onward and then proceed to be hating of gen 1-2. It's hate all the same, makes equally no sense. Not saying you're guilty of it, but it's definitely a thing around here.
I think it's fair because of the over exposure and bias gen 1 had been getting literally in the games and other stuff. When it starts actually making the games worse in ways to non genwunners, it's fair to argue.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Its not edgy, but it does have a lot of edges! I get the appeal, I just love simplicity in Pokemon designs and shes maybe my favourite creature designer out there along with Sugimori.

I also think that Charizard looks like trash in both Pokken and Detective Pikachu with the extra detail, anatomy and general de-simplification, but I know most people seem to like those.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care for fire starters enough to make a list, but I say Venusaur>Sceptile>Decidueye>Serperior>Torterra>Meganium>>>>>>>>>>>>>>every other grass Pokemon>>>Chesnaught

It's just that saying older Pokemon are boring overrated, overused, etc, seems to be like a norm opinion now, and it's getting annoying. My post wasn't directed to you, although it was motivated by your opinion on Charizard and other's on Typhlosion, and the discussion about the eyes a couple pages back, and how Seel is now trash although it's really a fine looking cute Pokemon, and so many other stuff.

If it makes you feel better I think Greninja is overrated as hell too

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Alright, so while we're on the topic, give me your Grass and Water starter lists

• Sceptile > Venusaur > Serperior > Torterra > Decidueye > Meganium > Chesnaught
    (shiny Decidueye would be at #2)
  • Delphox > Charizard > Typhlosion > Infernape > Blaziken > Incineroar > Emboar
    (I actually don't like any of them that much from Typhlosion onwards)
  • Empoleon > Primarina > Blastoise > Greninja > Swampert > Samurott > Feraligatr
    (I love Squirtle and Wartortle but Blastoise has always looked so disappointing to me lol)

Overall:
  • Delphox
  • Empoleon
  • Primarina
  • Charizard
  • Sceptile
  • Venusaur
  • Blastoise
  • Serperior
  • Torterra
  • Decidueye
  • Greninja
  • Swampert
  • Meganium
  • Samurott
  • Typhlosion
  • Infernape
  • Blaziken
  • Feraligatr
  • Chesnaught
  • Incineroar
  • Emboar

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it makes you feel better I think Greninja is overrated as hell too
Love Greninja. It is together with Lucario the two Cool Pokémon that Gamefreak wanted me to like and managed to do it. They really are cool and well designed in a way that makes them iconic.

Greninja also has a bit of goofyness with the tongue scarf that doesn't make it 100% cool. It's just in the right spot where it feels like a bit of a weird species, but with a very cool design.

I mean it's not meant to be a charizard compliment, I just always never liked chicken man at all. The only gen 3 design I outright dislike.
I think he's pretty nice. I'm biased to sleek evolutions.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I have never chosen a fire starter
Grass
Decidueye > Venusuar > Meganium > Sceptile > Torterra > Serperior >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chestnaught

Water
Samurott ≥ Swamper > Feraligatr > Blastoise > Greninja = Empoleon = Primarina

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
On a separate note, I prefer normal Charizard over its megas. They made it look "cool" but Charizard is a good design because it has cool features but also some goofier elements. Reminds me of what Sugimori said about toning down coolness I read about in the other thread

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This discussion about starters just reminds me that gen 4 has the absolute best Pokémon designs of all.
Torterra, Infernape, Empoleon, Staraptor, Buizel, Roserade, Lucario, Garchomp, TOGEKISS, Rotom, Darkrai, Shaymin, Manaphy, Giratina, Dialga and Palkia, Weavile, Mamoswine, Gallade, Toxicroak... I better stop or I'll end up just listing the whole dex.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I'll say my controversial opinion that I like every Pokemon in at least some aspect. The only ones I outright dislike or hate are lazy recolors like the Genies or the elemental monkeys. I'll also say that one of the main reasons I tend to prefer newer Pokemon to older ones is that a lot more thought gets put into giving them personalities, unique traits in battle, and giving them a place in the ecosystem of the region. Alola especially excels at this, you'd never get shit like Pyukumuku and all the cool details about it in an older game.

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
Oh we doing lists?

Zard > Ape > Rat(?) > Fox > Chicken > Cat > Ganon
Gatr > Frog > Penguin > Mustache Sea lion > Turtle > Mermaid Sea lion > That other thing
Gecko > Owl >=Turtle > Snake > Toad(?) > Knight(??) > the other one

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
On a separate note, I prefer normal Charizard over its megas. They made it look "cool" but Charizard is a good design because it has cool features but also some goofier elements. Reminds me of what Sugimori said about toning down coolness I read about in the other thread

That's exactly it. And also part of why I feel nothing for the live action version that looks like it came from Jurassic Park.
Pokemon excels so hard with bold, stylistic design choices that work as abstractions and get lost or muddied in translation to realism.