• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Best: Blaziken, Primarina, Bulbasaur. :D

Worst: Typhlosion, Samurott (#Justice4Dewott), Chesnaught. :(

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The series turned 20 before Primarina existed, so yeah, I agree with you.
She's one of the best starters!

d7dc751277689edeaecef2c886385386d93a0860_00.gif

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Don't call me a gen 1 hater but Blastoise is an insult to Squirtle and Wartortle
I think what makes Blastoise disappointing is that Squirtle and Wartortle were looking like the mythological Minogame, which is a really cool basis for a Pokemon, and then all of a sudden all the tail stuff goes away and it grows random cannons out of nowhere.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Blaziken (the GOAT Pokemon) >>> Inceniroar > Infernape > Zard > Emboar > Typhlosion > Delphox

Greninja > Empoleon > Swampert > Primarina > Samurott > Blastoise > Feraligatr

Decidueye > Sceptile >>> Venusaur > Torterra > Meganium > Chesnaught > Serperior

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
I think what makes Blastoise disappointing is that Squirtle and Wartortle were looking like the mythological Minogame, which is a really cool basis for a Pokemon, and then all of a sudden all the tail stuff goes away and it grows random cannons out of nowhere.

Heh there's a reason for that: Blastoise and Wartortle were unrelated Pokemon until really late in the dev process. This is the backsprite for the cut Wartortle evolution that leaked out recently:

Totartle.png

Hard to say what they were going for (really wish we got the front sprites), but it seems like a bigger Wartortle to me from the back at least. Maybe the front was different?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, that's exactly it. I probably wouldn't mind it as much if it was a separate Pokémon.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only fire starter I like are Charizard and Infernape, I don't really care for the rest.

I don't hate Tysplosion I just find his design kind of bland

Well Typhlosion is just basically a poor mon version of Charizard but without the duel typing.

Alright, so while we're on the topic, give me your Grass and Water starter lists

Grass;

Decidueye,
Sceptile,
Torterra,
Venusaur,
Meganium=Serperior,
Chesnaught,

Water;

Feraligatr,
Samurott,
Empoleon,
Greninja,
Blastoise=Swampert
Primarina

Honestly doing the water starter was harder than the grass starter as for some reason none of them have really stood out in any of my playthrough, whereas the grass starters have. They're just kinda there.

On a separate note, I prefer normal Charizard over its megas. They made it look "cool" but Charizard is a good design because it has cool features but also some goofier elements. Reminds me of what Sugimori said about toning down coolness I read about in the other thread

I like base Charizard and Charizard Y. But I don't like Charizard X, I think the flame mouth look silly and the it looks silly in battle as well with it's gliding animation. The wings also looks they have been stuck on.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Charizard, Feraligatr, Sceptile, Torterra, Serperior, Greninja are best. I dislike gen 7's starters. Chose Incineroar though. Reptiles and amphibian bias here.

HklqqVZ.gif

Also have some succ.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly my top four fire starters have basically been Blaziken/Infernape/Typhlosion/Incineroar joining the ranks. Everything else is whatever. I can say the starters that least appeal to me are grass starters. Bulbasaur is my alltime favorite and everything else is just there. Then again I've been a fire boy since G/S (breaking that with Sobble I think).

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Everything becomes 10 times harder when you try to rank the first form of the starters. They're all so fucking cute.

Except Froakie. Yuck.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
Incineroar's design is clever enough for me to love the hell out of it. Honestly the only generations where I wasn't really feeling any of the starters were 3 and 6. 6's were way to humanoid (mainly chesnaught and delphox) to the point where I found it kinda creepy. I did love Blaziken as a kid though

Dec 31, 2018
So looking through the lists, it looks like everyone hates Chesnaught? Why is that? I didn't think it was that bad. Certainly not the best, but I don't think its awful.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Incineroar and Delphox are weird because they're the inverses of each other in that Incineroar only really looks good in-game with it's animations, while Delphox looks awful in-game but look pretty cool in it's artwork.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Starter lists (Counting whole lines, best to worst)

Grass: Rowlett > Treecko > Snivy > Turtwig > Chikorita > Bulbasaur > Chespin
Fire: Cyndaquil > Torchic > Fennekin (Curse you Delphox, would be top otherwise!) > Chimchar > The other 3 (I dislike all 3, at least Emboar wasn't a Gen 5 Smash Rep.)
Water: Oshawott > Squirtle > Mudkip > Popplio > Piplup > Froakie > Totodile

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
The full comprehensive list:

Sceptile > Torterra > Venasaur > Decidueye > Meganium > Serperior >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chestnaught (nearly the worst Pokemon of 809)

Typhlosion (near-GOAT) > Charizard > Blaziken > Infernape >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Incineroar > Emboar >>>>>>>>> Delphox (the absolute worst Pokemon of the 809 that exist)

Greninja > Blastoise > Primarina > Feraligatr > Swampert > Empoleon >>>>>>> Samurott

Full: Typhlosion > Charizard > Greninja > Sceptile > Torterra > Venasaur > Decidueye > Blastoise > Blaziken > Primarina > Feraligatr > Infernape > Swampert > Meganium > Serperior > Empoleon > Samurott > Incineroar > Emboar > Chestnaught > Delphox

I really only dislike Chestnaught, Samurott, and the last 3 fire starters. They keep screwing up fire and I'm hoping somehow Scorbunny (who is pretty great itself) evolves into something worthwhile but I'm not holding a lot of hope on a bipedal fire bunny. They just refuse to give us a quadruped!

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
So looking through the lists, it looks like everyone hates Chesnaught? Why is that? I didn't think it was that bad. Certainly not the best, but I don't think its awful.
They had a good thing going with Chespin and Quilladin and their brown/green/orange color scheme, and then some idiot decided ruin him and throw it out the window for white, red, and a different shade of green for some reason

Dec 31, 2018
They had a good thing going with Chespin and Quilladin and their brown/green/orange color scheme, and then some idiot decided ruin him and throw it out the window for white, red, and a different shade of green for some reason
I guess I understand that. I don't like when starters change into something totally different looking. (Cough) Samurott (cough cough).

Do you think it would have had a better reaction if it's shiny color was its default?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I guess I understand that. I don't like when starters change into something totally different looking. (Cough) Samurott (cough cough).

Do you think it would have had a better reaction if it's shiny color was its default?
I'd like him slightly more, but I really loved Chespin's design, so Chesnaught's color scheme would need to be 1:1 with his pre-evolutions for me to like him more to a significant degree.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
If we're looking at the grass type tradition of being based on extinct animals, Chesnaught is probably a Glyptodon, which were basically ancient giant armadillos.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hating Chesnaught is my least favorite Pokemon meme

I'd like him slightly more, but I really loved Chespin's design, so Chesnaught's color scheme would need to be 1:1 with his pre-evolutions for me to like him more to a significant degree.

The shiny scheme is an improvement in literally every sense, but the design is still solid either way

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for clarifying. I want to get back into the anime but I don't like Alola Anime arc and I'm waiting for the League to start for Ash.

Don't get me wrong, its still probably the most wtf animation in the show, particularly out of context. Im guessing its edited in the dub like how they removed Meowth "dying" scenes.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I picked Chesnaught but it's just kind of there for me. Greninja really ended up steamrolling the other choices lol

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Starter rankings, huh?

Serperior > Sceptile > Decidueye > Torterra > Meganium > Venusaur > Chesnaught
While I've only picked the Grass starter as my first choice once (Snivy), I think they have some of the highest "cool factor" evolutions in the series--in fact, if I didn't always pick based on the first form and stick by them no matter what, I might've ended up going with Grass starters in Gens 3, 4, and 7. That said...on the flipside, those that aren't REALLY cool tend to be REALLY lame. I have a soft spot for Meganium, but sorry, I just don't like Venusaur and Chesnaught much!

Typhlosion > Charizard > Blaziken > Infernape > Incineroar > Delphox > Emboar
Similarly to Grass, I've only picked Fire as my first choice once, and that was Cyndaquil. Despite the advent of the 3D era and Typhlosion...well, to be blunt, looking like shit nowadays, it's still one of the first starters that I got really attached to, so it tops my list. Charizard hate is trendy, and I guess it's fair to be annoyed at all the attention it's gotten in recent years, but it's still a really great, classic design--so even as someone who's annoyed at all the Gen I pandering in recent years I still just like it! Blaziken and Infernape are decent enough, but man, the past few generations the fire starters really haven't been all that hot--Incineroar's grown on me a little bit, but none of them are top tier designs in my book.

Swampert > Primarina > Greninja > Feraligatr > Empoleon > Blastoise > Samurott
Finally, we come to what seems to be my type of choice--accounting for 5/7 (well, really 6/8 since I'm going Team Sobble for these games) of my first picks. Water starters rarely disappoint me; even when they go in a direction that wouldn't be my first choice, as in the cases of Greninja and Primarina, they seem to execute it well enough that I don't mind. The one and only exception here is Samurott; I don't necessarily mind that it's a different species from its pre-evolutions, I just think it doesn't look good. Otherwise, Swampert tops my list because he's a kinda awkward Pokemon, and I find that oddly endearing--even his Mega Evolution preserves that awkwardness by making him so top-heavy, and you know what, I appreciate that. Primarina is a close second; there are a lot of elegant Pokemon in my overall favorites (Vaporeon's my #1, for example), and Primarina fits into a similar mold--plus, her Z-Move has you singing people to death, how can you not love it?

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Objective Best Starters List That Cannot be Disagreed With Ever

Fire:
Emboar > Monferno > Incineroar > Blaziken/Typhlosion/Charizard >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Delphox

Emboar(especially shiny) Is one of the best Pokemon designs in the series as a buff chinese boar boy. Infernape I really love, but Monferno is an even better design IMHO. Don't like the white fluff. Incineroar is a goddamn Heel Wrestler which is some of the most charm and personality a single Pokemon's ever gotten. Blaphlozard are all whatever, not big on any of them, but Delphox is downright horrendous. The only pokemon design out of nearly 1000 that i vehemently despise.

Fire type is really the only starters I typically adore.

Grass:

Torterra > Grovyle > Meganium > Decidueye/Chesnaught/Venusaur > Serperior

Torterra being a walking biome is fuckin rad, period. Grovyle is cooler than Sceptile. Meganium has that cute lil flower necklace :3. The others are okay, but serperior is really just myeh. Don't care for regal designs.

Water:

Swampert/Feraligatr > Greninja > Piplup/Oshawatt > Blastoise > Primarina

Swampert and Feraligatr will forever be goddamn amazing, top tier mons. Greninja was eh at first but outside media overtime made him way more rad. Piplup and Oshawatt have the problem of me not being able to even picture their final evos in my head lol. Blastoise is only better than Primarina because I'm not too big on super feminine/regal/whatever themed Pokemon.

Favs:

Emboar > Monferno > Swampert tbh