• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Going back to the designs topic, I think MOST of the Alolan forms were pretty neat
600px-038Ninetales-Alola.png

An example of a new design that still looks like a Pokémon.

600px-105Marowak-Alola.png

And then even earlier we were talking about the amount of new Pokémon, the "hitting the 1000" dilemma, the lack of National Pokédex in newer games, etc. and I was thinking I actually wouldn't mind if in a future game we only get a few new Pokémon, if in compensation all of the older Pokémon that made up the new Regional Dex got a regional variant.

I know regional variants most likely won't be revisited ever again, but I think it's a nice way to justify the inclusion of the same old Pokémon over and over, and if ALL of them got this new form, it would feel like you're just playing with a whole new set of unknown creatures. And after you beat the game you can transfer the classic Pokémon from previous regions, so everyone is happy.

Heck, even just changing the color palette, like a new kind of shiny. Actually it would be cool if we could identify a Pikachu that comes from Kanto, to the one from Johto, Hoenn, Alola, etc, if they had a different tone, or some kind of mark on the back or something.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Had no idea people disliked Delphox so much. I always liked its wizard/witch inspired design, which is refreshing when compared to the other fire starters. Would rank it #2 in this category, just after Typhlosion.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Going back to the designs topic, I think MOST of the Alolan forms were pretty neat

And then even earlier we were talking about the amount of new Pokémon, the "hitting the 1000" dilemma, the lack of National Pokédex in newer games, etc. and I was thinking I actually wouldn't mind if in a future game we only get a few new Pokémon, if in compensation all of the older Pokémon that made up the new Regional Dex got a regional variant.

I know regional variants most likely won't be revisited ever again, but I think it's a nice way to justify the inclusion of the same old Pokémon over and over, and if ALL of them got this new form, it would feel like you're just playing with a whole new set of unknown creatures. And after you beat the game you can transfer the classic Pokémon from previous regions, so everyone is happy.

Heck, even just changing the color palette, like a new kind of shiny. Actually it would be cool if we could identify a Pikachu that comes from Kanto, to the one from Johto, Hoenn, Alola, etc, if they had a different tone, or some kind of mark on the back or something.
Wow, so you think a palette swap of gen 1 pokemon still "look like pokemon".

Can I get a definition of what a pokemon looks like?

Oct 25, 2017
Grass: Venusaur = Sceptile = Torterra > Decidueye > Serperior = Chesnaught >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Meganium

Fire: Blaziken > Charizard = Typhlosion > Infernape > Delphox > Emboar = Incineroar

Water: Feraligatr = Empoleon = Samurott > Greninja > Blastoise = Marshtomp >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Primarina

Overall:
Blaziken
Venusaur = Charizard = Typhlosion = Feraligatr = Sceptile = Torterra = Empoleon = Samurott
Decidueye = Greninja
Blastoise
= Marshtomp = Infernape
Delphox

Serperior = Emboar = Chesnaught = Incineroar

Meganium
Primarina

Surprisingly enough, Water either ties or beats out Fire for my overall favorite starter type. Grass isn't too far behind, though the other two beat it out a good bit.

Kudos to Primarina for outdoing the worst starter since gen 2, that's honestly impressive

Last edited:

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Infernape > Blaziken = Incineroar = Charizard > Typhlosion > Emboar > Delphox

Greninja > Swampert = Empoleon > Feraligatr > Blastoise > Samurott > Primarina (I actually quite like Primarina though, regardless of it being my least favorite water starter design)

Decidueye > Sceptile = Torterra > Venusaur > Serperior > Chesnaught > Meganium (bayleaf is the shit though)

this is the definitive list people, look no further

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Man, these lists are awful. Here's a better one:

( Venusaur = Torterra ) > ( Serperior = Decidueye) > Chesnaught > ( Meganium = Sceptile )
Charizard > Typhlosion > Emboar > ( Infernape = Delphox = Incineroar ) > Blaziken
Greninja > Blastoise > Samurott > Empoleon > Primarina > Feraligatr > Swampert

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Had no idea people disliked Delphox so much. I always liked its wizard/witch inspired design, which is refreshing when compared to the other fire starters. Would rank it #2 in this category, just after Typhlosion.

My problem with Delphox is its horrible and awkward standard pose of just standing there straight. Its pose in the art is what its standard pose should've been. Otherwise I love it, prefer it to Chesnaught and I usually dislike Fire types to Grass starters.

Anyway for me:

Grass: Venusaur > Meganium (haters keep hating) => Decidueye >= Sceptile > Serperior > Torterra > Chesnaught

Fire (my least favorite, overrated and unfairly advantaged and blatant favoritism by Gamefreak): Typhlosion > Delphox > Infernape > Incineroar > Emboar >>>>> Charizard >>>>> Blaziken

Water: Feraligatr >= Greninja > Primarina > Swampert > Blastoise > Samurott > Empoleon

I won't do an overall cuz it's pretty much just a mix of the grass and water with fire all being last, minus Delphox and Typhlosion being about the middle above the last three grass/water.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The design was ugly and hideous. They should had went all out with a witch hat, fire staff/wand, and more magicy stuff. I honestly thought her better design was being held off in favor of some cooler Mega Evolution for the Gen 6 Starters.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Elesa and N won a Valentine's popularity contest. Gen V being well liked is not just an ERA thing.

Can only hope that Gen VIII has a character as good as N.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's mainly its 3D model that killed it for me initially, it looks so sterile lol. Once I saw it in the anime I was like aight I get this. I do think Braixen is better though.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Elesa and N won a Valentine's popularity contest. Gen V being well liked is not just an ERA thing.

D1lYW9NWwA8q5PK.png:large

Officially best waifu.
D1lYIe4WkAEcCtG.png:large
Note: Both of these were drawn to commemorate Elesa and N winning the poll. So both of these pictures should be official art.

Last edited:

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Stealing Turbanator's layout:

Grass: Sceptile > Torterra >>> Serperior >> Decidueye > Venusaur > Meganium = Chesnaught

Fire: Charizard >>> Blaziken > Infernape > Typhlosion >> Delphox > Emboar > Incineroar

Water: Greninja > Blastoise >> Feraligatr >>> Swampert >> Samurott = Empoleon >>> Primarina

Overall:
qqkntFS.png

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I mean I'd argue that N is easily the most interesting and compelling character in any Pokemon game (Though lets be honest, this is hardly some great feat). Someone can appreciate N while not liking other aspects of gen 5

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It's from the official website for winning the poll. They selected one character male and female from each gen and had people tweet which one they would rather get chocolate from and since those two one they got art of them giving you chocolate.

I mean I'd argue that N is easily the most interesting and compelling character in any Pokemon game (Though lets be honest, this is hardly some great feat). Someone can appreciate N while not liking other aspects of gen 5
With this specific contest attractiveness plays a major part as well lol.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

Yes! Here it is:

kanto__no_tags__by_macuarrorro_d9ppfd2-pre.png

JK lol

Hey, don't be mad at me. I do prefer Gen I, but I have nothing against new Pokémon, at all. All the opposite, I wish we had lots and lots of new Pokémon every generation, perfectly conscious of the fact that they're not gonna look anything like the original 151.

All I'm saying is that I DO understand extremist genwunners, because I kinda agree to some extent with them. The difference is that I do accept the new Pokémon as what they are, Pokémon. New Pokémon with new designs, that come to expand the definition of a Pokémon and its universe .

What I was trying to say with the Alolan forms is that, even though I'm in favor of new designs and new kinds of colors, or eyes, or features, I don't think the style of the original Pokémon isn't that bad that cannot be brought back into newer generations too. Because the opposite extreme, people that loathes and criticizes everything about Gen I (because probably they weren't even born when it came out, or old enough to remember, but anyways) usually put the newer generations as if they came here to fix the original Pokémon's mistakes or flaws. As if their style was so basic and wrong that it would be a huge mistake to do something like the original creatures. And to me, the Alolan forms is a great example of how they can implement new designs and ideas, like Alolan Marowak or Alolan Sandslash without making the creatures look as if they came from another videogame/anime/universe.

And it's not just about the eyes, that was just an example from reddit, it's something less tangible I guess, that makes you say "hey, that's a Pokémon!" just like when you see any random character with those Vegeta uniforms, you'll automatically know it's from Dragon Ball Z. But I think there are many other examples of newer Pokémon that could kinda pass as one of the originals: Pachirisu, Victini, Bounsweet, Togekiss, and so on.

And lastly, the color palette / regional variant was just a suggestion to the never ending problem of not wanting to introduce lots of new Pokémon, because there are too many already, so they always end up putting hundreds of the older ones, so it would be a nice incentive for the designers to give a new design to all the old Pokémon they wanna feature in the new region, without being worried about the total number of Pokémon getting close to 1000 (which is inevitably happening sooner or later), and also a good reason for us who have been playing for years to actually go and catch the old Pokémon in the new games that otherwise could just transfer from Poké Bank. So that comment was more about the "National Pokédex / too many Pokémon" topic and not the "genwunners and their triangular eyes".

And for the record, I do love every Pokémon, and I do these collages with the official artwork:
https://www.deviantart.com/macuarro...t_new=10:1542258112&ga_type=edit&ga_changes=1

don't know if it's gonna embed, 'cause it's too big, but there's the link
d9szka0-c5b43b52-7c87-42ba-a1a5-d88380b32eb7.png

I think they all look amazing together

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Fire starters always have the worst designs of the three. Water and Grass are where it's at*, Sobble and Grookey are gonna prove it again too.

*except Chesnaught

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Starter Rankings? Ok then:

Grass:
Torterra>Sceptile>Venusaur>Decidueye>Chesnaught>Serperior>Meganium

Fire:
Incineroar>Charizard>Typlosion>Emboar>Delphox>Blaziken>Infernape

Water:
Blastoise>Greninja>Feraligatr>Swampert>Empoleon>Samurott>Primarina

I think that Mega Charizard Y feels like the true natural progression of Charizard's concept and more line with the other Kanto starters mega evolutions.
On the other hand, despite loving its color scheme and the blue flame concept, it really feels like Charizard X is more a "what if fanboys designed it" situation.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Sceptile > Venusaur > torterra > decidueye > meganium > serperior > chesnaught
Blaziken > Charizard > infernape > incineroar > Delphox > typhlosion
Feraligatr > empoleon > Blastoise > swampert > Greninja > primarina

Oct 29, 2017

Don't think there are many Alolan forms I don't like. I had an Alolan Muk in my team for most of the game (started as a Grimer).

I love the Alolan forms where the shiny is just the 'old' colours as well and wish this was done more often.

Really hope this Gen has something akin to Galarian Forms.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how the more casual Go players will react. All I know is that I will be hype as heck for my boy Litwick.
They're getting pokemon at an accelerated pace. Rose-tinted glasses won't have time to set in, so Go players will see Trubbish and Klink and think, "oh like Grimmer and Magnemite"

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I triggered a lot of Froakie fans lmao
Sorry not sorry

I never cared for Froakie either, though those gifs on the last page are giving me second thoughts. Actually with both Froakie and Popplio I hated their designs initially, yet Greninja and Primarina became instant favorites and forced me to choose them. So far Sobble is remaining consistent with this recent trend of mine but I can't see myself betraying Scorbunny like I did Fennekin and Rowlet.

Part of me has been thinking I don't want to see the final evolutions in advance this time, or any of the new pokemon for that matter, but that's going to be hard to accomplish if I keep wandering back into threads like this lol.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Decidueye > Serperior > Sceptile > Torterra > Venusaur > Chesnaught > Meganium (utter trash)

Charizard > Blaziken > Infernape > Incineroar > Typhlosion > Delphox > Emboar

Greninja > Blastoise > Empoleon > Ferligatr > Swampert > Samurott > Primarina

Meganium is just the worst. Design-wise I'd rank it down there with the happy face ice cream cones and the derpy trash bag.

Aug 7, 2018

This really bothers me, instead of pointing at someone who made a comment and expecting them to rebut your idea, without knowing what your definition of "what a Pokemon looks like" is kinda outlandish.

It's obviously a loaded question because they are now responding to an idea they know nothing about.

Any ways, "palette swap" is a bit exaggerated can we agree?

Alolan Ninetails
38_Alolan%20Ninetales.png

UR6b069.png

Gen 1 Ninetails
GtMn2OM.png

th2gqI9.png

Not only is the actual design different with enough familiarity to recognize it's a Ninetails, but they took the time to make sure that it wasn't a simple color swap, they redesigned it completely.

If you want to get into other details, the Typing is different, the Moves sets prior to evolution and after evolution is different, the Base stats for each is different and the weaknesses are obviously different.

Regional Forms are not lazy IMO when Game Freak has taken the time to redesign the look, restructure the typing, move sets and weaknesses making the Pokemon literally play different than it's original form.

So yeah a "palette swap" is disingenuous at best.

Last edited:

Electivirer

May 15, 2018
This really bothers me, instead of pointing at someone who made a comment and expecting them to rebut your idea, without knowing what your definition of "what a Pokemon looks like" is kinda outlandish.

It's obviously a loaded question because they are now responding to an idea they know nothing about.

Any ways, "palette swap" is a bit exaggerated can we agree?

Alolan Ninetails
38_Alolan%20Ninetales.png

UR6b069.png

Gen 1 Ninetails
GtMn2OM.png

th2gqI9.png

Not only is the actual design different with enough familiarity to recognize it's a Ninetails, but they took the time to make sure that it wasn't a simple color swap, they redesigned it completely.

If you want to get into other details, the Typing is different, the Moves sets prior to evolution and after evolution is different, the Base stats for each is different and the weaknesses are obviously different.

Regional Forms are not lazy IMO when Game Freak has taken the time to redesign the look, restructure the typing, move sets and weaknesses making the Pokemon literally play different than it's original form.

So yeah a "palette swap" is disingenuous at best.

I agree, it's definitely not a Dusk Lycanrox situation. They shouldn't have been Kanto exclusive though.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
Might as well join in with the starter rankings
Decidueye > Sceptile > Meganium > Serperior > Torterra > Venusaur >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chesnaught
Charizard > Typhlosion > Delphox > Blaziken > Infernape > Incineroar > Emboar
Blastoise > Feraligatr > Greninja > Empoleon > Swampert > Samurott > Primarina

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018
Infernape >>>>>>>>> Delphox > Incineroar > Charizard > Emboar > Typhlosion > Blaziken
Blastoise > Feraligatr > Greninja > Empoleon > Swampert > Primarina >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Samurott
Torterra > Venusaur > Chesnaut > Meganium > Serperior >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sceptile > Decidueye

Samurott should *not* be quadrupedal and hoodie strings are a stupid bowstring
I really like Sceptile's design except that it stands like it has something horribly wrong with its back in the games from gen 6 on so I dock major points for that, the other evolutions and its mega don't have that issue
I don't like Blaziken's pantfeatherpants

anyways I usually pick up one of the early Pokemon to use as a starter instead, only gens I haven't done that in are 4 and 2

Nidoran(male), Totodile, Shroomish, Chimchar, Lillipup, Fletchling, A-Grimer

Grookey gang btw

Aug 7, 2018
I agree, it's definitely not a Dusk Lycanrox situation. They shouldn't have been Kanto exclusive though.
I also agree with this, Kanto being the only ones so far to get a Regional form is boring. I understand why they did it, they wanted people to be excited for classic Pokemon getting a new use and new look. Yet, I think it was short sighted to ONLY do Kanto Pokemon.

They could very well do some more regional variants of other Gens for Galar, but I doubt we will see any even for Kanto.

Which is a shame.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Sceptile > torterra > venusaur >decidueye > chesnaught > megamiun > serperior

Infernape > incineroar >charizard >delphox> blaziken> typhlosion > emboar

Primarina > greninja >empoleon > samurott > feraligatr > swampert >blastoise

Primarina and infernape are part of my top 10 favorite pokemon list of all time

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything has officially been talked about to death if the thread has been reduced to making pointless Pokémon lists/rankings.