• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
this is a pretty good video

I do wonder if there are Randomisers out there that randomise your starting town and remove all roadblocks, maybe even have variable levels for each gym so you have to figure out if you are strong enough for the gym by stepping inside and getting pummeled by a level 60 Groudon straight away.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This really bothers me, instead of pointing at someone who made a comment and expecting them to rebut your idea, without knowing what your definition of "what a Pokemon looks like" is kinda outlandish.

It's obviously a loaded question because they are now responding to an idea they know nothing about.

Any ways, "palette swap" is a bit exaggerated can we agree?

Alolan Ninetails
38_Alolan%20Ninetales.png

UR6b069.png

Gen 1 Ninetails
GtMn2OM.png

th2gqI9.png

Not only is the actual design different with enough familiarity to recognize it's a Ninetails, but they took the time to make sure that it wasn't a simple color swap, they redesigned it completely.

If you want to get into other details, the Typing is different, the Moves sets prior to evolution and after evolution is different, the Base stats for each is different and the weaknesses are obviously different.

Regional Forms are not lazy IMO when Game Freak has taken the time to redesign the look, restructure the typing, move sets and weaknesses making the Pokemon literally play different than it's original form.

So yeah a "palette swap" is disingenuous at best.

While calling Regional form a palette swap is incorrect however at its core it's still the same Pokémon but retyped, Alolan Ninetales is still a Ninetales but Fairy/Ice type.

To me I prefer using new Pokémon as it's a lot more exciting and while I am okay with regional form, as there's no way that Ninetales would have joined my team, they however don't quite capture that same feeling which is made even worse when Game Freak openly stated that it was pure gen 1 pandering.

Plus it just feels that regional form are the final nail in the coffin for cross gen evolution as I like reusing old Pokémon and seeing them gain new evolution and honestly speaking regional form like Alolan Exeggutor, Marowak and Raichu feel like that they could have easily been split evolution.

However unlike megas, I am open to the idea of regional form returning but with an even mix across the board and with the mindset that it doesn't rule out the idea of cross gen evolution.

this is a pretty good video

The video does raises some good point, the sense of adventure was absent in gen 7 and at time I felt that the focus wasn't on my team, though for me it was due to Island Trial not capturing the same feeling that gyms offered.

However, I don't think that story in Pokémon game is a bad thing but the pacing just needs to be improved, the start of Sun and Moon was so bad as it took ages to just to get the starter.

Here's hoping that Sword and Shield's pacing is solid from start to end.

Can't wait for the meltdowns once people who don't understand how Pokémon works realize Sword and Shield, the biggest Switch game for the year, won't have cloud backup support.

Urgh, I am just reminded that Pokémon on-line will be locked behind a paywall. No more wonder trading for me. :(

Pierre Taki doesn't voice any Pokemon right? 😬

No he doesn't.

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for the meltdowns once people who don't understand how Pokémon works realize Sword and Shield, the biggest Switch game for the year, won't have cloud backup support.

"Don't understand how Pokemon works"

I'm sorry but that makes zero sense. If cloned Pokemon or hacking such a major deal then how is it that a group of fan hackers can create a site like Pokecheck which can tell you about cloned moms but Game Freak can't do that?

It's just silly thinking when you can clearly offer the feature of cloud saving while putting checks in place to prevent abuse.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
"Don't understand how Pokemon works"

I'm sorry but that makes zero sense. If cloned Pokemon or hacking such a major deal then how is it that a group of fan hackers can create a site like Pokecheck which can tell you about cloned moms but Game Freak can't do that?

It's just silly thinking when you can clearly offer the feature of cloud saving while putting checks in place to prevent abuse.
A solution that just detects and flags future cloned Pokémon would never work because offline trading. You never will know which is the original and which is the clone, as a clone can appear online first than the original.

Oct 26, 2017
A solution that just detects and flags future cloned Pokémon would never work because offline trading. You never will know which is the original and which is the clone, as a clone can appear online first than the original.

Again Pokecheck figured that out by outright telling you who has the original of that particular Pokemon and how many clones exist within that database, and it's not that complicated to figure out either. Certain Pokemon can only be produced with a certain PID/SID combination and the database checks the internal values of a Pokemon to see who's the original owner. Once you find that information, it's significantly easier to tell who has clones, especially when crossreferenced with data from the clone owner.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Again Pokecheck figured that out by outright telling you who has the original of that particular Pokemon and how many clones exist within that database, and it's not that complicated to figure out either. Certain Pokemon can only be produced with a certain PID/SID combination and the database checks the internal values of a Pokemon to see who's the original owner. Once you find that information, it's significantly easier to tell who has clones, especially when crossreferenced with data from the clone owner.
I have an original Pokémon.
I trade it off line to someone else.
That person makes a clone.
Someone trades me a clone.
The original is in other person's hands.

The game has no way to know if I have a clone or an original. It just knows there are multiple copi s. The data is exactly the same. This is not a good solution.

Oct 26, 2017
I have an original Pokémon.
I trade it off line to someone else.
That person makes a clone.
Someone trades me a clone.
The original is in other person's hands.

The game has no way to know if I have a clone or an original. It just knows there are multiple copi s. The data is exactly the same. This is not a good solution.

Again that is wrong. Pokecheck knows who's the original owner because it looks at hex values in conjunction with PID/SID values within the Trainer and his/her game. It doesn't just look at the superficial data points. The error is in assuming that if you put the information side-by-side that it automatically means that it must be hard to determine who's the real owner, but really, it's about getting into the underlying values that actually determines if a Pokemon is genuine or not. Otherwise by your logic, event Pokemon would be hard to tell because of them being the exact same (and yet the values created for the events are unique to the user's game, PID/SID combination. Which again, Pokecheck can determine which event was created in which game and by which user).

There's no reason why Game Freak cannot implement a similar system to check clones.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Again that is wrong. Pokecheck knows who's the original owner because it looks at hex values in conjunction with PID/SID values within the Trainer and his/her game. It doesn't just look at the superficial data points. The error is in assuming that if you put the information side-by-side that it automatically means that it must be hard to determine who's the real owner, but really, it's about getting into the underlying values that actually determines if a Pokemon is genuine or not. Otherwise by your logic, event Pokemon would be hard to tell because of them being the exact same (and yet the values created for the events are unique to the user's game, PID/SID combination. Which again, Pokecheck can determine which event was created in which game and by which user).

There's no reason why Game Freak cannot implement a similar system to check clones.
You are not understanding... I also know how the PID/SID system works.... Who is the original trainer, that doesn't matter. What matters is who is the current legitimate trainer, of the original copy. It doesn't necessarily have to be the original trainer. There's no way to check that.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Defending underappreciated Pokémons #2: Muk

250px-Grotadmorv-RFVF.png

So today we have a big boy. I feel that Muk has always been more hated than Grimer overall. Maybe because it's just a bigger version of Grimer? I don't know. But let's defend this gen 1 poison type.
So, a lot of people seem to dislike this slimy dude because it's "just" a blob.
But I think that this blob has too much personality to just be a blob.
...ALRIGHT LET ME EXPLAIN OKAY?!?

Muk looks like a zombie. Its pose looks like the classical picture of a zombie crawling out of a graveyard. I mean, just take a look a this and tell me that it doesn't have any similarities with the pose, the mouth and the "gross" aspect of it. Just tell me:
Ka0xwsz.png

So, yeah. I definitely think that this thing being a zombie makes it cool, man.

Another cool thing about Muk is that he looks like he is constantly trying to stand up and seems like if he didn't do enough effort to keep himself looking like a Pokémon, he would just colllapse and end up being some gelatinous purple mass. Muk is trying his best guys, don't be mean please.

...But how would he keep using his strength to do this? Does he have any strength? Does this thing have muscles? Can a Grimer fuse himself with another grimer to become a Muk?
So many questions that are not anwsered.

Come on, how could you hate Muk, the slimy zombie in constant effort with the menacing pose and the mysteries around his biology?

Also, I have to say that the little strand of slimy goo in his mouth adds a lot to his design. Props to the designer here!
People just don't understand how hard Muk tries, how its existence perpetually hangs by a thread. Garbodor does not have that kind of devotion to living.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Alolan forms are basically the gen 1 dex getting an update with types that either didn't exist or needed more representation in that gen and they all look pretty cool.

I don't see how that determines if a Pokemon was cloned vs just traded.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Original Sandslash is fine, but Alolan Sandslash just looks so cool. I love the color scheme and how the icicle spines look.

Also I guess I maybe like the concept of Alolan Golem more than the actual execution. Electric/Rock is a cool typing. Having a built in railgun is still pretty cool too though.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I love Alolan Muk, it resembles an oil spill, and has some really cool info about it overhunting Trubbish and dropping crystalized poison that it uses as teeth. As for Garbodor, I've never gotten the hate, I always personally thought that Garbodor, Muk, and Weezing make up a cool trifecta of liquid, gas, and solid pollution. Favorite Alolan form has to be either Ninetales or Exeggutor. Ninetales has a really cool wispy Yokai look to it, and has the personality of a detached deity of a mountain and Alolan Exeggutor has some cool deep cut Hawaiian Biology behind it, since it resembles a Dragon Blood Tree, hence the typing, plus its a great callback to some earlier info.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After my 3DS died I started playing the Let's Go competitive scene.

First, the competitive battling in Let's Go is more of a brain dead experience compared to the mainline game.

With that said I have a unanswerable question and observations.

What's the deal Korean and Japanese players having Mewtwo and Mew on their teams? The majority of the Asian players I've encountered all have those two on their teams. It feels extremely cheap.

I'm not salty about it though because while battling those Mew and Mewtwo centric teams are boring, unoriginal, and bland I tend to win every 8/9 out of 10 of those battles.

The candy system in place of the EV system I weirdly understand but it made the competitive scene a lesser experience, amongst other other things ofcourse.

Basically your options are to give your Pokémon diabetes and battle them at level 100 at Type 2 or battle at level 50 with none of the power up. Even though my team is at level 100 with max IV's I don't bother playing by unrestricted rules. It's the same as playing with normal rules. There's no specialization on how to customize your Pokémon stats like with EV. It makes the effort feel worthless. I clearly prefer the EV system and the ability of making my Pokémon more specialized in their stats.

I won't cover the things that aren't in the game because these games were made without those things in mind like Abilities which I grown to identify some Pokémon by, Hold Items, and serious lack of moves.

On to the Pokémon

Alolan Muk is a extremely underrated Pokémon. While it's base Attack is only 105, its base Special Defense is 100, and Base 75 Defense its ability to tank hits from the likes of Mega Mewtwo Y and X, Mega Alakazam, Zapdos and Mew is nothing short of incredible. Not only can it tanks hits from these Pokémon Muk can win in a 1v1 battles against them the majority of the time. With Mewtwo X and Zapdos being the only wild card depending on itheir 4 moves build.

Alolan Muk

Adamant Nature

Crunch
Fire Punch
Poison Jab
Mega Drain

All I know is that Mega Drain does over 50% damage to the likes of Golem and Rhydon. Not sure exactly how much damage it does to them because I would never put my Muk against one of them if they're at full health.

Meltan is a very good Pokémon in the Let's Go vacuum. Base 135 HP, base 144 Attack, and base 144 Defense is betrayed by its 65 Special Defense. Opponents Dragonite got off a agility is about to go in a Outrage? Send it Melmetal, use Ice Punch and prepare your strategy for your opponents revenge killer if he even has one left. While I see Melmetal thriving in the Let's Go meta scene it would not survive in the mainline competitive scene. With the said, Melmetal is a Extremely clutch Pokémon. He's tanked Special Attacks I feel he shouldn't be only to bring in a win for me.

Meltmetal

Adamant

Ice Punch
Earthquake
Thunder Punch
Double Iron Bash

When I tune back into the anime again I hope I see Ash using his Meltan and hopefully one day Meltmetal before he gives it away. Because of how insanely clutch Melmetal has been for me in the Let's Go Meta game I've grown fond of him and would love to see it get some screen time.

I'm not good with this type of write out or putting my thoughts in a written form. While I despise the Let's Go games and the only reason I went back to playing those games is because my 3DS died I am finding some form of fun playing the competitive side of it despite itself.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
tune back into the anime because the anime is the best its ever been in general
I also think that latest movie is the best movie for the most part also

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Alolan Golem, I just hate how unwieldy they made it with how it basically needs it's hidden ability to be of any use

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the way, how where you guys introduced to Pokémon? TCG for me

It was a school morning I got done getting ready and eating breakfast early so I turned on the TV when the Pokémon Theme song came on. "I want to be the very best..." that shit was catchy as fuck.

Even back then as a newb I didn't like the fact that Ash was force to settle for a Pikachu. I don't know why because I didn't know about the games that morning.

Went to school, ask some kids if they heard of the cartoon called Pokémon and they kindly informed me of the game and even let me watch them play it.

I was hooked on the spot.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

I honestly can't remember? It was 5th grade and suddenly Pokémon was everywhere - TCG, game boy games, cartoon that aired 20 minutes before my bus got home, etc . Kids were carrying around binders of cards, trading and battling with the games on the bus, and even boasting about having memorized "all 151". Crazy times

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
on one hand, having the new pokemon in a region be harder to find than the old guys kind of sucks

on the other, it kind of cements the new ones as cooler and more interesting and the old ones as boring trash, so I like it

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all remember when Garchomp was like the most overpowered Dragon type? Lol

I reckon that for Smogon style singles it would have been banned for a whole lot longer or would even still be banned if it didn't receive an alternative to Sand Veil.

Speaking of pseudo legendaries, I hope we get an actual really strong one again. The last two were kinda underwhelming.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
It's not as good as it used to be and is outclassed by other Pokemon, but it's still up there. Fairy types really knocked dragons down a peg though.

Man, I remember when everybody had a Garchomp because he was THAT powerful lol. I forgot the nickname I gave mine but I ev trained him lol
I reckon that for Smogon style singles it would have been banned for a whole lot longer or would even still be banned if it didn't receive an alternative to Sand Veil.

Speaking of pseudo legendaries, I hope we get an actual really strong one again. The last two were kinda underwhelming.

??? What were the last 2 psuedo Legendaries? Lol

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I remember when everybody had a Garchomp because he was THAT powerful lol. I forgot the nickname I gave mine but I ev trained him lol

??? What were the last 2 psuedo Legendaries? Lol
Goodra and Kommo-o

Tyranitar was the same way and for both of them it was because of sand.

Almost all of the pre-existing psuedos are bad or outclassed now due to changes with their typing. They would have to go with something different this time if they want it to be good.

Feb 22, 2019
A special based pseudo would be nice.
We already have 4 physical and 4 mixed. The mixed ones at least have some variation. Salamance has noticeably higher attack while Kommo-o has slightly higher attack. Hydreigon has noticeably higher special attack while Goodra has slightly higher special attack.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It was the anime, played on SMTV over here in the UK (Basically one of those early morning children blocks), I distinctly remember the first episode I saw when I tuned in for the first time (After randomly flipping the channel probably being bored of whatever was on CBBC at the time) was The School of Hard Knocks (a pretty strong first episode to watch).

Also, I recall, these segments done by Ant and Dec before each episode.... they were, a thing.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
It was the anime, played on SMTV over here in the UK (Basically one of those early morning children blocks), I distinctly remember the first episode I saw when I tuned in for the first time (After randomly flipping the channel probably being bored of whatever was on CBBC at the time) was The School of Hard Knocks (a pretty strong first episode to watch).

Also, I recall, these segments done by Ant and Dec before each episode.... they were, a thing.

Geez, that's a trip down memory lane.
I was first introduced to Pokémon by a classmate bringing his Game Boy to school and showing off Pokémon Red. I remember him doing the Missigno glitch and Surfing up and down the side of Cinnabar Island.
After that I spent a lot of time watching the anime and I remember those Ant & Dec segments...