• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I hope they don't reveal the final starter evolutions before launch this time like they did with Sun and Moon. Am I right in thinking that that was the first time they'd done that since Gen 3?

Serebii do you know if the leaks influenced the decision to show off the Gen VII starter evolutions, or if they were probably always going to do that?

I think Kalos' final starter forms were revealed right before the games came out. Well, there were some leaks before, and then there was the Coro Coro magazine I think, but probably it was meant to come out after the games' official release date.

But yeah, I wish they kept some Pokémon hidden like they did with Gen V. But at the same time, I wish that the day the games come out, they put all the new Pokémon on the Pokédex of their website, or that the strategy guide comes out the same day (they usually wait a couple of weeks or even months).

I know it's kind of contradictory, but my ideal scenario would be not knowing anything before the release date, but that day just get ALL the info at once lol Because I'm not gonna be able to catch or evolve every new Pokémon in one day, but I just wanna know everything about the new Pokémon once I'm sure I don't have to wait any longer.

That's what I did the day BW came out in Japan. I remember trying to find the sprites of all the unrevealed Pokémon because I think it was around that time that they started to censor websites like serebii.net and bulbapedia and such if they showed images of the games. Meanwhile I was getting the ROM ready to play it on my R4.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I remember the fake items, but I didn't know they turned them into boss battles. I never went into the power plant when I played LG
I don't think its really a boss battle in the totem pokemon/legendary sense. Its more that Let's Go doesn't really have many non trainer encounters that are battles, so they count it as a boss maybe, since you have to actually battle a wild electrode?

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
Another GameXplain discussion:

Honestly, I rarely ever understand it when people say that the female avatar design is so much better than the male one. They both always look fine to me like "yep, that's our protagonists".

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another GameXplain discussion:

Honestly, I rarely ever understand it when people say that the female avatar design is so much better than the male one. They both always look fine to me like "yep, that's our protagonists".

of course it's just personal preference. and it seems to extend to the devs themselves since the female trainers always have more customization options than the males.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I hope they don't reveal the final starter evolutions before launch this time like they did with Sun and Moon. Am I right in thinking that that was the first time they'd done that since Gen 3?

Serebii do you know if the leaks influenced the decision to show off the Gen VII starter evolutions, or if they were probably always going to do that?
Leaks have only affected things twice, and both times the "leaks" came from people datamining the official website which had the individual Pokémon videos up early but inaccessible. They then shared to VK and then that got to 4chan and the rest of the world.
The first instance happened in the morning of June 30th 2016. Previously, the news had been planned for July 1st at 22:00 JST but they brought the trailer forward to June 30th at 19:00 JST. The English trailer came out at the planned time.
Then, two months later, they inexplicably hadn't fixed the hole and did it again. On August 10th 2016 at around 22:00 UTC, the same sort of footage got posted online. It had been planned for August 12th at 01:00 UTC but then got brought forward to August 11th at 07:20 UTC, with the English trailer coming out 6 hours later.

It may have affected it, but the cycle didn't have them as being out in the middle of nowhere as there was specific TCG merchandise that featured them due out on launch day and needed to be advertised. That's how they first officially were shown, through a tweet of the TCG merchandise on October 27th, followed soon after by the trailer so it is my belief that the leak didn't affect it at all

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Only just now heard about the possibility of two Pokemon labs. Really does sound like the 4chan rumor regarding Armored Pokemon and a second set of starters is most likely real.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Wait, second set of starters? I've not heard that one before

Sword-leak-2.png

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Leaks have only affected things twice, and both times the "leaks" came from people datamining the official website which had the individual Pokémon videos up early but inaccessible. They then shared to VK and then that got to 4chan and the rest of the world.
The first instance happened in the morning of June 30th 2016. Previously, the news had been planned for July 1st at 22:00 JST but they brought the trailer forward to June 30th at 19:00 JST. The English trailer came out at the planned time.
Then, two months later, they inexplicably hadn't fixed the hole and did it again. On August 10th 2016 at around 22:00 UTC, the same sort of footage got posted online. It had been planned for August 12th at 01:00 UTC but then got brought forward to August 11th at 07:20 UTC, with the English trailer coming out 6 hours later.

It may have affected it, but the cycle didn't have them as being out in the middle of nowhere as there was specific TCG merchandise that featured them due out on launch day and needed to be advertised. That's how they first officially were shown, through a tweet of the TCG merchandise on October 27th, followed soon after by the trailer so it is my belief that the leak didn't affect it at all
Didn't the final evolutions for the starters leak with SM months before the reveal and "confirmed" when Mallow was revealed?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Didn't the final evolutions for the starters leak with SM months before the reveal and "confirmed" when Mallow was revealed?
That's correct. The most inexplicable leak that I dismissed without even checking. When Mallow came, I publicly apologised for my haste with it.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
The issue is that these elemental forms would likely change the Pokemon's apperence - they would have to make new/different models soley for these armoured forms which i find very unlikely. If we get armoured forms - it will be only for a small set of Pokemon

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
We know that the names Sword and Shield along with some other details have been floating around since last year(which is why we've seen so many images of people guessing them), so I wouldn't be quick to believe rumors that gets a few things we now know right.

Well, same thing could apply to mega evolution\ special moves ,but I don't think gamefreak care that much about competitive
We've seen competitive nerfs and changes from gen 5 to gen 6 and gen 6 to gen 7, so they clearly care.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Grookey is not even a spider monkey. I don't even... You're kidding, right?

On one hand accurate leaks tend to mix false info with true info either cause the leaker's information is incomplete or they're trying to maintain plausible deniability.

On the other hand, 4chan leaks need a grain of salt the size of an iceberg simply on principle.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
We know that the names Sword and Shield along with some other details have been floating around since last year(which is why we've seen so many images of people guessing them), so I wouldn't be quick to believe rumors that gets a few things we now know right.

We've seen competitive nerfs and changes from gen 5 to gen 6 and gen 6 to gen 7, so they clearly care.
The mega and Z special moves added more unbalance than any previous gen.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Z-Moves are actually intended to create more balance as they make more Pokémon actually usable due to either being able to hit somewhat hard with a powerful attack or set up in unique ways with Z-Status moves.

Nice try though :)

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Landorus, Inceneroar, the Tapus, and certain legends when legal are the ones that rule everything. Kanga and Mence were up there in gen 6, but nobody uses them anymore.

Next format will very likely ban them all anyways though.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Z-Moves are actually intended to create more balance as they make more Pokémon actually usable due to either being able to hit somewhat hard with a powerful attack or set up in unique ways with Z-Status moves.

Nice try though :)
I found them to be more complicated and unbalanced I would rather have them readjust the base stats.

My original point is armor eliminates isn't gonna create more unbalanced competitive than we already have.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
With these elemental armours. You are basically removing an entire Pokemon slot just to give one Pokemon a boost. I bet if this is true few pepole would use it

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That rumor has so much stuff wrong I don't get why people believe it

At least the other Armored Evolution one didn't get anything wrong yet

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I think you could theoretically balance the elemental armored evolutions but as the one in the leak in my opinion . Personally i think armored evolutions could work like Materia from FF7- in that Armored Pokemon get slots that allows them to change aspects of that Pokemon - from their stats to their typing and etc. Certain armored evolutions have more Gem slots but with you can't go for all extremely high level gems since it will exceed the limit. You would also not likely be able to use Items. Also only certain Pokemon would get armored evoultions

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
-Scandinavia
-Spider Grass starter
-Sobble as an iguana, rather than the chameleon that it clearly actually is
-Dragon and Pegasus box legendaries, rather than the wolves depicted in the logo
-Post literally titled "Fun idea for Gen 8"

Come on now. Even from what we already know, this has more wrong with it than right.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
-Scandinavia
-Spider Grass starter
-Sobble as an iguana, rather than the chameleon that it clearly actually is
-Dragon and Pegasus box legendaries, rather than the wolves depicted in the logo
-Post literally titled "Fun idea for Gen 8"

Come on now. Even from what we already know, this has more wrong with it than right.

I dont think it's legit (most likely not), but some of those can be argued. I've seen some people already nebulously calling Sobble every kind of reptile in the book, I can understand someone not knowing what species he is based off of a visual. That last point also isn't evidence whatsoever in either way. Plenty of leaks in the past that turned out to be real labeled them "fun" or "predictions".

Also, the logos do not mean they'll be wolves.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you choose to argue those points, the Scandinavia and spider points kill the rumour stone dead, so it's kinda moot anyway.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think it's legit (most likely not), but some of those can be argued. I've seen some people already nebulously calling Sobble every kind of reptile in the book, I can understand someone not knowing what species he is based off of a visual. That last point also isn't evidence whatsoever in either way. Plenty of leaks in the past that turned out to be real labeled them "fun" or "predictions".

Also, the logos do not mean they'll be wolves.
How can grass spider be argued? Or Scandinavia? Those completely end the rumor. There were tons of people predicting a fire bunny, and UK region.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can grass spider be argued? Or Scandinavia? Those completely end the rumor. There were tons of people predicting a fire bunny, and UK region.
There are plenty of people who suggested -insert zodiac animal here- and fire type. Let's get that straight.

But yes a lot of people did guess the UK.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I remember seeing a bunch of rumors floating around regarding a trailer on the 22nd though I can't remember where I saw that. Either way I'm assuming the chances aren't good, but I'm hopeful.

gmendezm

Banned
Aug 23, 2018
Mmmm...

There's something in that 4chan rumor ...

I understand that serebii also have doubts ...

I dont know...

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it takes one wrong thing to kill a "leak". I mean, we've seen legit leaks that snuck in some absurd claims to confuse people, but missing the starters does not qualify as an absurd claim, just a wrong one.