• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when we're going to hear more about SwSh... I mean Tcpi usually like to have all the attention on them, especially for big showings of new gens. I kinda expect a Pokemon direct before E3 with an info blowout but we're getting fairly close to E3 now. Have there been any whispers? Or do we think they may just go all in at E3?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when we're going to hear more about SwSh... I mean Tcpi usually like to have all the attention on them, especially for big showings of new gens. I kinda expect a Pokemon direct before E3 with an info blowout but we're getting fairly close to E3 now. Have there been any whispers? Or do we think they may just go all in at E3?
There won't be a big direct, that's not how they do it. They just roll out trailers starting at some point and going all the way to launch.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Well Armored Mewtwo is coded in pokemon Go, so it's not just for the movie. Far from done and dusted imo
"Mewtwo_A" is coded in GO

Detective Pikachu is coded in GO. It's not in main games
Sunglasesses Squirtle is coded in GO. It's not in main games
Love heart Spinda is coded in GO. It's not in main games.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
There won't be a other Pokémon Direct this year. They will just reveal info throguh trailers as aways.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They probably will reveal info before E3, but it'll just be a YouTube video, not a full Direct.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
I need more info already, the wait is unbearable
"Mewtwo_A" is coded in GO

Detective Pikachu is coded in GO. It's not in main games
Sunglasesses Squirtle is coded in GO. It's not in main games
Love heart Spinda is coded in GO. It's not in main games.
I wouldn't be surprised if Mewtwo_A is simply a raid weekend featuring armored Mewtwo the week the movie hits theaters.

It would be weird to promote Gen 8 on Go with Mewtwo.

Nov 14, 2017
Armored Zeraora was the red flag in that post to me. Why would it get a special form now? And the whole thing relying on Meltan/Melmetal seemed fishy too. They aren't Pokemon people can readily obtain. I wouldn't put it past GF giving Charizard and Mewtwo another thing though lol
Why did Diancie get a Mega Evolution in ORAS? GF doesn't have to make sense.

And I totally expect Meltan to be available in Gen 8; there's no way it'll be locked to Go.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need more info already, the wait is unbearable

I wouldn't be surprised if Mewtwo_A is simply a raid weekend featuring armored Mewtwo the week the movie hits theaters.

It would be weird to promote Gen 8 on Go with Mewtwo.

Are you kidding me? You have any idea how much attention Game Freak would get for promoting gen 8 with Armor Mewtwo?

It'll be a bloodbath. 😆 I want to see it happen just for that.

Poor Joe would be villainfied and hounded on Social Media because he will voice his confusion and dislike at first but when he learns of Game Freak marketing plan he would say he gets it but doesn't like it and then the Pokémon community will accuse him of shilling for Game Freak.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Are you kidding me? You have any idea how much attention Game Freak would get for promoting gen 8 with Armor Mewtwo?

It'll be a bloodbath. 😆 I want to see it happen just for that.

Poor Joe would be villainfied and hounded on Social Media because he will voice his confusion and dislike at first but when he learns of Game Freak marketing plan he would say he gets it but doesn't like it and then the Pokémon community will accuse him of shilling for Game Freak.
Did you also catch the lottery numbers in that vision?

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017

And I totally expect Meltan to be available in Gen 8; there's no way it'll be locked to Go.
Diancie had this whole magical girl thing going on. They had to implement a henshin somehow and Mega Evolution was as good a candidate as any.

Zeraora is just an electric type furry. There's no thematic need for an alt form.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
They're probably not just going to shadow-drop a new trailer- traditionally, they tend to give us a few days' notice.
For USUM releases:

August 18th - No heads up
September 13th - No heads up other than a DIrect existing
September 22nd - No heads up
October 5th - No heads up
October 12th - No heads up
November 2nd - Heads up
November 14th - No heads up

With Let's Go, there were several reveals

July 12th Video - No heads up
August 3rd Video - No heads up
August 18th Video - Heads up in Pokénchi summary. No international heads up
September 10th Video - No heads up
September 19th Video - No heads up
September 25th Video (Meltan reveal) - No heads up
October 10th Video - No heads up
October 18th Video - No heads up
October 25th Video (Melmetal reveal) - No heads up
November 7th Video - No heads up

I think the times of us getting a heads up are long passed

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Oh, fair enough then! I was still setting my expectations by the Sun/Moon cycle, but I'm happy to be wrong.

Tend to agree that the Mario Maker Direct's taking up Nintendo's publicity oxygen for the week, mind.
Closest we had with Let's Go was a side video series on the Japanese official site which made us manage to predict when other things may come

Oct 26, 2017

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
out of the Lucario clones, it's one of the better ones. which is why it sucks that it's a mythical. and sucks even worse because its distro was junk
Honestly, what were they thinking? Not only a Mythical, but a Mythical incompatible with the main games of the generation. It could have been a new mascot, rather than a footnote- I don't think there's a more irrelevant Mythical.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
So will this game have Pokemon following you or no? Any predictions on this matter?
The reveal trailer showed the player character walking around areas long after you would have obtained a Pokemon. The trailer seemed to use footage from multiple builds, but I doubt they would have made deliberately unrepresentative footage, so I'll say "no."

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Diancie getting a Mega Evolution in OR/AS did make sense. Diancie was given out to X/Y players that summer who saw the movie, the same movie Diancie Mega Evolves in. That encourages them to buy OR/AS that fall and transfer their Diancie to it so they can get the new form. Zeraora's movie will be over a year old by the time Sw/Sh comes out, its time in the marketing sun is over. It's not impossible that it will get some new things in Sw/Sh but I wouldn't expect the marketing to lead off with it getting a new form. It just immediately struck me as fishy.

As for Meltan, I do think it'll be distributed for Sw/Sh players (or at the very least they'll allow GO/Let's Go players transfer their mons into Sw/Sh and populate the GTS with them) but at the end of the day it's still a mythical Pokemon, so an entire mechanic of the Sw/Sh relying on them made me raise an eyebrow. It felt like whoever made that post was trying to replicate the Zygarde thing in Sun/Moon.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The reveal trailer showed the player character walking around areas long after you would have obtained a Pokemon. The trailer seemed to use footage from multiple builds, but I doubt they would have made deliberately unrepresentative footage, so I'll say "no."
I don't think following pokémon are back, but about the bolded part, the trailer actually seems to be deliberately unrepresentative footage. They seem to have removed every single NPC from the world with the exception of the trainer battle shown.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So do you think they might incorporate a "join a team!" element to online battles in this akin to Pokemon Go's thing where you represent one of those three clans?

I was thinking with the setting it'd be cool if you could in-game join a Royal House and then on WiFi you represent that. And in-game make it sort of like the Battle Chateau but more expansive?

Speaking of which both Wikstrom and Grimsley have similar designs and are both said to be from a royal household that fell on bad times...I have a theory they're from the same one and are Galar natives.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
So do you think they might incorporate a "join a team!" element to online battles in this akin to Pokemon Go's thing where you represent one of those three clans?

I was thinking with the setting it'd be cool if you could in-game join a Royal House and then on WiFi you represent that. And in-game make it sort of like the Battle Chateau but more expansive?

Speaking of which both Wikstrom and Grimsley have similar designs and are both said to be from a royal household that fell on bad times...I have a theory they're from the same one and are Galar natives.
Now you've made me think of the Divisions in Xenoblade X and I want it SOOOOO much now in Pokémon. Think about it: Pokémon is a multifaceted game that can be enjoyed in many diferent ways: collecting, battling, breeding, exploring, solving people's problems... Picking a division and ranking up in said division by doing the things you like the most is a perfect fit for Pokémon.

I hate you for making me hyped over something I'll never get.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
So will this game have Pokemon following you or no? Any predictions on this matter?

I have a veeeeeery tiny little hope that they implement it, mostly because we always get Pokémon in the overworld, like, when you enter a house and they have a Meowth, Pidgey or something, so they need to implement those models anyway (unless they totally remove them for this game). I know that doesn't necessarily imply that they have to implement the following the trainer mechanic, since they're two different things, but I wouldn't rule that possibility out just yet.

But it's very likely that it won't come back. Not only is too good to be true, but also I just don't think it matches the style of the new games, what we've seen so far.