• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
Didn't know Spirit Animal was specifically native American. I thought it was synonymous with animal familiars in fiction, but if its considered offensive I also did not know.

The term is heavily associated with native americans and the indigenous religions/beliefs of certain tribes. Using it as a term for just 'i like this animal' is considered incredibly disrespectful and crappy.

Its the same as when white people who are a very insignificant amount native american in their blood try and wear a war bonnet in pictures.

Its appropriating culture, and is bad.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say it feels weird being apathetic towards Pokémon, I guess gen 6, 7 and Let's Go just soured my expectation of the series so I am not really holding out much hope for gen 8 to improve on that.
I started feeling this way when Sun and Moon came out, but I was getting to the point during ORAS. I loved XY, and I was deep into competitive Pokemon during that game's lifespan. But then, I dropped off when Battle Spot allowed legendaries in ranked battles in ORAS, and I didn't even attempt competitive play in SuMo thanks to all the new Pokemon being slow as shit. The only online experience I had with SuMo was Battle Royal, but that sucked too because there were no options.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I started feeling this way when Sun and Moon came out, but I was getting to the point during ORAS. I loved XY, and I was deep into competitive Pokemon during that game's lifespan. But then, I dropped off when Battle Spot allowed legendaries in ranked battles in ORAS, and I didn't even attempt competitive play in SuMo thanks to all the new Pokemon being slow as shit. The only online experience I had with SuMo was Battle Royal, but that sucked too because there were no options.
I still don't understand why all the new Alola Pokemon were so slow. Like damn it just killed the viability of the vast majority of them besides a few outliers and then the Legendaries. Really killed my desire to play the game competitively after having done so since gen 4.

I'm hoping Sword and Shield provide a nice variety of new viable mons as well as new options for older Pokemon too. I'd really like to get back into the competitive scene.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
It can't be helped for some people if you've been into for so long and are dissapointed with the newest gens. Gen 7 was actually my favorite gen so far, so I'm really hoping they keep everything good they did from there and cut out some of the negatives.
I actually really enjoyed SuMo too on the first playthrough, the story was the best ever, but it also took away some of my favorite things about Pokemon like exploration during the journey and tons of things to be discovered. Also removal of PSS for festival plaza, and not keeping super training along with evelup, and no easy way to grind to 100

I actually really loved Let's Go too, probably more than most.

Something just changed recently where I used to hope for the biggest and best things and now just expect more of the same and probably things I liked to be taken out

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Please stop using spirit animal as a thing, its disrespectful to native americans, and cultural appropriation, thanks.

Anyway, bug type is my favorite followed by ghost, I love them both, but I'd have to say my favorite bug is probably design wise, a tie between vikavolt and golisopod.

Bug designs are usually great with ones like scolipede, heracross and volcarona being other good ones.

I really hope t he sword and shield bugs are good.
Uhm, as someone that is not from the US, this term is just standard all over the world. It's probably too late to say that it's cultural appropriation, it's a very common thing internationally, completly unrelated to the origin.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I don't understand why this whole thing is a debate to begin with. Meltan & Melmetal are mythicals paired with Let's Go just like Zeraora was paired with US/UM. I don't understand why this is tripping up folks. The region isn't important. You captured Deoxys in Kanto originally, but it would've still been included with Hoenn Pokemon in a National Dex order list.

As MegaManTrigger said, Gen VII was unusual for introducing completely new Pokémon mid-generation, that didn't even have an alternative forme in the previous games of the same generation, or releasing games in two consoles. And Let's Go having its own debate about how much of a "main game" it is, didn't help at all.

The problem is that we've never had a generation of Pokemon games that were in two consoles. This is why the Deoxys example falls apart, because at least you were able to trade it between FRLG and RSE. You can't do the same with Melmetal.

Except we know from the index number it's considered a Gen 7 Pokémon by Game Freak.

Also mentioning the sticker books is worthless as in the past those usually excluded mythical, yet to be revealed Pokémon like Arceus, Keldeo, Genesect, etc. That's how it's always worked.

Yeah I know, that should end any debate as to which generation they belong to, but I just mentioned the sticker books as an example, but more than that, there's the strategy guides, the National Pokédex (if we ever get one again in the main games) and even some tournament rules, that keep taking into account the regions as a way to classify Pokémon, and up until now, even though we all know they're two different concepts, regions had always been used almost as synonymous of each generation. The thing is as the abstract, unofficial term that a generation is, it's precisely these unofficial stuff which would make use of this categorization. But I guess this just simply came to change everything and force us to separate the concept of region == generation.

So I was just saying, that depending of what treatment Gen VIII (and future generations) gives to Meltan and Melmetal, many people could keep the debate alive, in the hypothetical case that we can catch them in Galar, and all these other media like books and stuff, or National Pokédexes start placing Meltan and Melmetal in the same basket as other Gen VIII Pokémon.

If instead they start putting them with the Alolan Pokémon, or they keep the Pokémon Go standard of "Unknown region", in the middle of Alola and Galar, I think there won't be no reason to keep arguing about anything.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
Uhm, as someone that is not from the US, this term is just standard all over the world. It's probably too late to say that it's cultural appropriation, it's a very common thing internationally, completly unrelated to the origin.

I don't have the time and energy to argue with people who are just going to keep being shitty even when presented with proper reasons not to do something.

Stop fucking doing it, at the request of first nations/native american people, be considerate of others desires to not have their shit co opted or turned into some kind of prop or thing to make jokes about. FFS.

An addendum:

If someone from a minority group says 'hey don't do this' your response should not to be making excuses it should be an apology, and to stop doing it. Not try and excuse its use. That is literally all you really have to do, to not be shitty.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess I had seen someone use that phrase the other day on Facebook and I just used it here without thinking much but I get your point and I won't use it again.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
I guess I had seen someone use that phrase the other day on Facebook and I just used it here without thinking much but I get your point and I won't use it again.

See? Its not that hard.
Thank you for considering it, and not using it, I greatly appreciate it, and i"m sure other first nations people also do.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like monkey Pokemon but I like grass Pokemon.

I'm conflicted. The bunny looks great buy I don't like red and white as a colour scheme...

>_>

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Zeraora could easily show up in SwSh and have a new form and everything, and it doesn't have to make sense.

Proof: Zygarde in Alola

In fact, they'd probably reveal it in a trailer including special moves and have zero context or mystery about it in the game

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zeraora could easily show up in SwSh and have a new form and everything, and it doesn't have to make sense.

Proof: Zygarde in Alola

In fact, they'd probably reveal it in a trailer including special moves and have zero context or mystery about it in the game
Zygarde was teased and marketed with a new form for more than a year before Sun & Moon released. They haven't drawn any special attention to Zeraora since they released it. It's not impossible of course, but that's what struck me as odd in that rumor post. I also thought it was weird that that poster would have detailed information on a new evolution mechanic but no new Pokemon. If Armor Evolution is indeed a thing I would imagine it would be something we won't hear about until close to release.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I could think of that would signal Zeraora coming back is the anime episode ended with Ash telling it they'd battle again...

So if it and it's Trainer somehow crossed dimensions and ended up as Ash's Alola League opponent.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I like all pokemons designs except..

Buzzwool and Pheromosa...
tenor.gif
2pamjBm.png

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm assuminh Zeraora isn't getting armor or whatever form change after that Corocoro issue...

I gotta admit, that thing needs some help. It's only real niche atm is a fast Electric-type Fake Outter in doubles. In singles, Zeraora is pretty miserble with its middling offensive stats.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
As MegaManTrigger said, Gen VII was unusual for introducing completely new Pokémon mid-generation
Is this really considered unusual? USUM only introduced some new legendaries and the dusk form for Lycanroc right? Would've been legitimately surprising had we gotten entirely new evolutionary lines instead.

And do neither Keldeo nor Hoopa count as mid-gen? I always thought those were officially revealed and distributed post release, but could be wrong as I don't pay much attention to legendaries in general

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand why all the new Alola Pokemon were so slow. Like damn it just killed the viability of the vast majority of them besides a few outliers and then the Legendaries. Really killed my desire to play the game competitively after having done so since gen 4.

I'm hoping Sword and Shield provide a nice variety of new viable mons as well as new options for older Pokemon too. I'd really like to get back into the competitive scene.
I think the whole metagame needs a massive shake up. I'm at the point where they can make any kind of changes they want with the only limitation being their imagination and I'd be on board. As long as Pokemon is still Pokemon, I'm fine with whatever.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Is this really considered unusual? USUM only introduced some new legendaries and the dusk form for Lycanroc right? Would've been legitimately surprising had we gotten entirely new evolutionary lines instead.

And do neither Keldeo nor Hoopa count as mid-gen? I always thought those were officially revealed and distributed post release, but could be wrong as I don't pay much attention to legendaries in general
Stakataka, Blacephalon, Poipole, and Nagandel were all entirely new Pokemon. They're not like the forms of Lycanroc, Keldeo, or Hoppa that you mentioned.It was unusual because in the past such a thing was never done.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Keldeo and Hoopa were revealed post-release but were in the original games.

Gen 7 was the first where they added ones to games within the generation that weren't in it, though you could argue Gen 6 was the first due to Mega Evolutions, or Gen 3 if you factor in forms, though Gen 4 is the more prominent one for that.

Here's a timeline

Gen 3
2002: Ruby & Sapphire Released
2004: FireRed & LeafGreen released. Adds Attack Forme & Defense Forme Deoxys
2004: Emerald released. Adds Speed Forme Deoxys

Gen 4
2006: Diamond & Pearl released
2008: Platinum released. Adds Rotom's 5 forms, Giratina Origin Forme & Shaymin Sky Forme
2009: HeartGold & SoulSilver released. Adds Spiky-eared Pichu

Gen 5
2010: Black & White released
2012: Black 2 & White 2 released. Adds Black Kyurem, White Kyurem, Keldeo Resolute Form and the Therian Formes of Tornadus, Thundurus and Landorus

Gen 6
2013: X & Y released
2014: Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Released. Adds new form of Hoopa Unbound. Adds 18 new Mega Evolutions. Adds 2 Primal Reversions

Gen 7
2016: Sun & Moon released
2017: Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon released. Adds 5 numbered Pokémon (Poipole, Naganadel, Stakataka, Blacephalon, Zeraora) and Lycanroc Dusk Form
2018: Let's Go, Pikachu! & Eevee! released. Adds 2 numbered Pokémon (Meltan, Melmetal)

Really it was inevitable. I fully expect the same in Gen 8. Heck, I'm hoping they finally leave Mythicals out and add them with patches later on.

JetstreamRorschach

One Winged Slayer
Dec 30, 2017
Zaragoza, Spain.

Mid-gen forms were something normal, but mid-gen new full-fledged Pokémon were not until Gen VII. Keldeo and Hoopa were always on the game code and were available in all the of their generations' games. Poipole (and his evolution Naganadel, for example) were only available in USUM, and can't be transfered to the original Sun and Moon. Meltan (and his evolution, Melmetal) were only available on Pokémon Go and Pokémon Let's Go. It was a thing done first in Gen VII, and due to Let's Go being a Gen I + Meltan/Melmetal game only, we'll have to wait until Pokémon Sword and Shield to complete the current Pokédex.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Really it was inevitable. I fully expect the same in Gen 8. Heck, I'm hoping they finally leave Mythicals out and add them with patches later on.

I really wish they take this approach. I suppose the Pokémon added in USUM were either because they didn't want them datamined, or they just simply added them at last minute, but I think SM could've easily gotten a patch to have them too.

All games from the same generation (and console) should be able to get all the Pokémon from that generation (whatever a generation means at this point lol)

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I really wish they take this approach. I suppose the Pokémon added in USUM were either because they didn't want them datamined, or they just simply added them at last minute, but I think SM could've easily gotten a patch to have them too.

All games from the same generation (and console) should be able to get all the Pokémon from that generation (whatever a generation means at this point lol)
The fact the Switch can send patches locally is certainly going to help matters

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Hah, thanks for dropping that all there. But yeah, seems like a gradual movement over time. Makes me sad Meltan isn't catchable in the wild in Let's Go or USUM. Would have been so hype

and can't be transfered to the original Sun and Moon
...wow, I had no clue. I suppose that counts as unusual though I'm not sure what the logic for it could be (outside of $$$ of course). Are you able to at least battle with them against SM players or were the models/data never added?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Hah, thanks for dropping that all there. But yeah, seems like a gradual movement over time. Makes me sad Meltan isn't catchable in the wild in Let's Go or USUM. Would have been so hype

...wow, I had no clue. I suppose that counts as unusual though I'm not sure what the logic for it could be (outside of $$$ of course). Are you able to at least battle with them against SM players or were the models/data never added?
No, you can't. If a new Pokémon from USUM is in your team you can't connect to the original games at all.

They never patched it because of multiple issues arising from the fact that data could be corrupted, and of course, money, forcing people to upgrade to the latest game.

Oct 26, 2017
The main pain point for new Pokemon as DLC in previous gens I'd imagine was that saves were on the carts themselves and patches were system bound, making getting a mismatched save + game version as easy as plopping your game cart into an unpatched 3ds. This might not sound like the greatest issue to most people, you could just show a placeholder/error message when viewing the Pokemon or trying to use it but I believe that "breaking the illusion" in this sort of way is something Game Freak is pretty strongly against.

This issue is completely gone as of the Switch as saves are now also system bound.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And also the fact that you can't delete patches for digital games and even if you do for a physical game it doesn't let you boot it until you install the patch gain.

Really they have no excuse this time.
These pokemon exist to promote something now. Either a movie or a store who pays their way in. They'll always have an excuse as long as pokemon is a multi media franchise

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I'm assuminh Zeraora isn't getting armor or whatever form change after that Corocoro issue...

I gotta admit, that thing needs some help. It's only real niche atm is a fast Electric-type Fake Outter in doubles. In singles, Zeraora is pretty miserble with its middling offensive stats.

Electric types in general needs a lot of help. Besides all the Electric types that has flying as their second b typing like Zapdos or Thunderous (besides Emolga) or those who has Levitate as it ability like the Rotom's it extremely hard to get a Electric type going in singles.

For a good 6 months I ran a Electivire on Battle Spot singles with incredible success using him as a Switch in to a Volt Switch from Rotom's Wash or Tapu Koko. But that was extremely situational and he was useless he got the Motor Drive Boost from a Switch in.

They need More in their stats and abilities. Motor Drive and Volt Absorb is extremely situational and is rarely taken advantage of with their stats being so middling or just bad. Jolteon is supposed to be a glass cannon that doesn't hit hard enough and lacks coverage. I'm not sure what Electivire is supposed to be based on his stats, Electivire is a Pokémon who needs a higher base stat total, it isn't fast enough, it doesn't take a hit well at all, and it doesn't hit hard enough, on top of its situational ability.

Game Freak really needs to adjust the base stat total and abilities of older Pokémon to close the gap created by the power creep over the generations.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
Ever since the elite four changed to having 4 equal leveled opponents they've been noticeably easier. I remember kid me remarking how easy the Unova E4 were

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Unova E4 were the easiest by far, they only had four pokemon in their first match, they were kinda pathetic. Its weird how so many people attach so many things to gen V it didn't have, I guess its a fan favorite so they remember it as better than it was. Kalos was easily the most pathetic E4 though, but the Alola one was fairly challenging, more so in USUM than in SM.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't find Unova's E4 easy at all, and especially the fights that came after that. USUM's E4 was awesome.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kalos was crazy unbalanced for me. Siebold wrecked my ass many times. but Diantha was the easiest of the 5, a total pushover. granted this might have been due to my party makeup