• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Mega Lopunny
Oranguru
Staraptor
Huge power Diggersby
Snorlax
Eviolite Porygon 2
There's your elite 4 member's normal team.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's also only one pure flying type for some reason, Tornadus

1200px-641Tornadus.png

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Really surprised we haven't heard anything yet to be honest. Have I just imagined a quote from Masuda/Ishihara saying they wanted to stop the big delays between announcement and promotional campaign after Sun and Moon or did that actually happen?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Diamond and Pearl anime was so amazing... probably the best realized "world" in that season with a lot of little moving parts outside of just what Ash experienced.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Pokemon special is setting up the climax for the SM chapter to be complete zygarde vs ultra necrozma. Shoulda been that in the games smh

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
The Diamond and Pearl anime was so amazing... probably the best realized "world" in that season with a lot of little moving parts outside of just what Ash experienced.
Then they realized that Ash has to move onto Unova so they created the anime personification of a hacker.

They even brought up the Champion League thing multiple times where you win the regular league and can challenge the E4.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
It's a weird holdover from the early versions of Red/blue where it was bird type, not flying, and when they realised non-avian flying objects exist they reworked all the bird types into normal flying.

It's why doduo and dotrio are flying type despite it not making sense lore wise

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are they gonna address the fact Pokemon in Alola straight-up speak?

Kommo-O straight up just yells "SOUND!" at you.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yo beat Ultra Necrozma...wrecked me the first time, but second time I used a Focus Sash to keep Malamar alive to confuse him and then that got a free turn for Primarina to finish him off with Moon Blast.

As much as I dislike how the Trials turned out the final trial in USUM where you go around and meet up with the Captains is pretty neat. Probably because the anime made me love them a lot where in the games they're just...not that interesting?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Are they gonna address the fact Pokemon in Alola straight-up speak?

Kommo-O straight up just yells "SOUND!" at you.

Some of the localization is weird in Sun and Moon. Like some pretty broken sentences, so it wouldn't be surprising if its just a strange translation.

I wonder if those are actually meant to be Japanese sound effects and the localization just turned them into words.

its probably this

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if those are actually meant to be Japanese sound effects and the localization just turned them into words.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Yo beat Ultra Necrozma...wrecked me the first time, but second time I used a Focus Sash to keep Malamar alive to confuse him and then that got a free turn for Primarina to finish him off with Moon Blast.

As much as I dislike how the Trials turned out the final trial in USUM where you go around and meet up with the Captains is pretty neat. Probably because the anime made me love them a lot where in the games they're just...not that interesting?
It was the most uninspired trial they could give Mina, but it was also a cool recap of all the places and captains you've defeated throughout the game, so it was ok.
I don't know why they just didn't do that in SM though.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I noticed I didn't battle Mallow or Sophocoles...I assume it's a Version Difference for Mallow as I took on Suiren instead, but it's weird Sophocoles doesn't fight you.

I guess he makes up for it by challenging you as the E4 Champ right?

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019

When you say you disliked the trials did you mean the bosses themselves or the actual trial leading up to the totem. Because I'd agree with the latter, but I thought the trail bosses were some of the best battles main story pokemon has ever had, and were way more well thought out than gyms.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah the Bosses are pretty neat...a bit dissapointed you can beat most of them by poisoning and then spamming heals but oh well.

But I mean yeah the actual Trials seemed undercooked and a bit lame. I wish there was more variety, like I would've appreciated honestly mini-games even using the Ride Pokemon or a mission to go around capturing Pokemon.

Most of them are weird visual novel scenes basically. Sophocoles was perhaps the best for being an actual puzzle.

Feb 24, 2018
Oh yeah the Bosses are pretty neat...a bit dissapointed you can beat most of them by poisoning and then spamming heals but oh well.

But I mean yeah the actual Trials seemed undercooked and a bit lame. I wish there was more variety, like I would've appreciated honestly mini-games even using the Ride Pokemon or a mission to go around capturing Pokemon.

Most of them are weird visual novel scenes basically. Sophocoles was perhaps the best for being an actual puzzle.
For me, Lana's was the best but more for because of how Lana herself made it enjoyable with her dialogue and attitude, which makes it a shame they removed all that in the Ultra games.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

I keep reading in here how hard USUM were for most people, but I think it's one of the easiest games I've played. Ultra Necrozma could've caused more trouble, but my Pokémon kept hanging on without a Focus Sash, just with the heart-ness whatever that is lol with that they resist to make you happy or whatever. Throughout most of the game they healed themselves from status conditions too, so it made it even easier. My team wasn't even that spectacular: Decidueye, Malamar, Salazzle made most of it, and the other three just kept rotating them depending on which Pokémon I wanted to evolve. Just the shared experience made them level up like crazy.

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for being off topic but wait what

Klinklang's line is the only pokémon evolution line with a single steel typing, excluding megas, mythicals and legendaries

tumblr_mlx46mNf0X1sod6t8o1_400.gif

That's like, really interesting. I never thought about this before. wow

They really need to give this guy some moves.
It's usuable offensive movepool consists of Gear Grind, Wild Charge and Return...
And it's a real shame because its stats would actually be decent enough to make good use of Shift Gear if it only had some more moves to use after using it...

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Considering I didn't like BOTW and it's changes to the Zelda franchise, no thanks on that front.

And so far it looks like it's going to be fairly similar to past games anyway in structure, even going back to returning to gyms again (Although maybe with a difference? I've been holding off posting my fourth gym leader across the generations analysis until the Sword and Shield news starts up and we have a better idea what the Gym Masters will be.)

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Why not? Is not all about graphics. We don't know anything about the story, gameplay and another game elements.
Because we saw the trailer and gameplay? Does that look like a botw-tier drastic shift or the same? Zell himself essentially even went back on that from the reveal saying that it clearly didn't fit what he heard.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Why not? Is not all about graphics. We don't know anything about the story, gameplay and another game elements.

Graphics weren't the only thing shown. From what we saw it likely has lots of linear paths, standard starter typing trinity, how the battles look and tall grass random encounters. Not necessarily a bad thing, but nothing about it suggests reinvention and keeps the 3 year development cycle from the previous generation so im not sure what he means by "taking their time with it".

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep reading in here how hard USUM were for most people, but I think it's one of the easiest games I've played.
Don't play Let's Go, cause that's even easier. Even without items. Also it just shows that the single player really isn't balanced around items. Or anything really: many pokemon and moves are suited for doubles and there's nary a doubles battle in the game, NPCs rarely hold effective items to boost potential (the number of pokemon holding evolite should be obscene), nor are mechanics used and abused save for leaders and select route trainers.

Challenge Mode really needs to make a comeback

Faxeo

Apr 21, 2019
But a new trailer when they plan to show it? For the past few generations there has always been a trailer in mid-May.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I keep reading in here how hard USUM were for most people, but I think it's one of the easiest games I've played. Ultra Necrozma could've caused more trouble, but my Pokémon kept hanging on without a Focus Sash, just with the heart-ness whatever that is lol with that they resist to make you happy or whatever. Throughout most of the game they healed themselves from status conditions too, so it made it even easier. My team wasn't even that spectacular: Decidueye, Malamar, Salazzle made most of it, and the other three just kept rotating them depending on which Pokémon I wanted to evolve. Just the shared experience made them level up like crazy.
Depends on your team. I almost lost to Olivia because I was using special attacking pokemon and she had a sand stream gigalith which made it impossible for my primarina to OHKO her rock type pokemon.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Because we saw the trailer and gameplay? Does that look like a botw-tier drastic shift or the same? Zell himself essentially even went back on that from the reveal saying that it clearly didn't fit what he heard.
I mean, I can also make a trailer from footage taken from Breath of the Wild and make it look exactly like old Zelda games. I'm not saying I believe SwSh is going to be such a huge shift for the franchise, but there might be big changes that they just weren't ready to show at the reveal.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Don't play Let's Go, cause that's even easier. Even without items. Also it just shows that the single player really isn't balanced around items. Or anything really: many pokemon and moves are suited for doubles and there's nary a doubles battle in the game, NPCs rarely hold effective items to boost potential (the number of pokemon holding evolite should be obscene), nor are mechanics used and abused save for leaders and select route trainers.

Challenge Mode really needs to make a comeback

Oh, I did play Let's Go, and of course was even easier. Just Partner Eevee makes it a million times easier, but I did know what to expect before playing the game, so I played it with a different mindset, mostly just for nostalgia and to appreciate the style. I really love how the Pokémon look there. I still haven't caught any shinies though, I see all these videos on youtube of shiny hunting, and people even run away from shinies because they're not the ones they're looking for, and I'm like whaaat

Depends on your team. I almost lost to Olivia because I was using special attacking pokemon and she had a sand stream gigalith which made it impossible for my primarina to OHKO her rock type pokemon.

I don't even remember how I defeated her, but I know it didn't cause much trouble. I never finished the post game, that Team Rainbow Rocket thing, maybe that's a bit more of a challenge? The thing is I ended up so bored, that I just eventually stopped after the league. I haven't even completed the Pokédex there, and I keep telling myself everyday that I'm gonna finish it before SwSh comes out, but I can barely make myself enter the tournaments to get the shiny Tapu's. Those are actually the only times I've "played" the games in the past year :P

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
My current guess is the game includes one big open area (that vast grassland with the lakes) possibly even with visible Pokemon encounters, and they're going to hype it up as a big BOTW type moment for the series, but then the rest of the game will be back to standard routes.

Only other guess I have is they're introducing some high level of non-linearity and that big clump of cities/gyms in the middle of the region has no established order.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
My hope is that the map is really open like many of us have speculated. There's a lot of space that doesn't really look like its made up of traditional Pokemon routes.

I agree that the map does give one hope for a much larger and more open experience, but the gameplay shown features very linear routes, and not just in the starting area.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
I recall King Zell himself being pretty surprised by the Sword and Shield trailer, so I don't think it aligned with what he was told. Not that he got wrong info, could be that there is a major open area, that the Nintendo folks overhyped it to him, or that maybe the game went through some development issues.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I agree that the map does give one hope for a much larger and more open experience, but the gameplay shown features very linear routes, and not just in the starting area.
Yeah, but the trailer only showed places that clearly look linear on the map too. It didn't show any of the areas that look potentially open.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but the trailer only showed places that clearly look linear on the map too. It didn't show any of the areas that look potentially open.
Exactly, it stayed away from all those big open looking areas.
If they are going to keep radio silence till E3 I hope that they start the E3 trailer off with a shot of a big open area, would be a nice way to kick things off.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I recall King Zell himself being pretty surprised by the Sword and Shield trailer, so I don't think it aligned with what he was told. Not that he got wrong info, could be that there is a major open area, that the Nintendo folks overhyped it to him, or that maybe the game went through some development issues.
Or it could be wrong info. I doubt one pretty open area in the middle was what zell was told for it being botw.