• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not a surprise. They're good games despite all the what the most hardcore Pokemon fans will tell you.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Here comes the "see your complaints are invalid because the game sold well" brigade

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly not huge growth since it was at 17.37 million as of March 31st. Still huge overall, but you'd think especially with Isle of Armor it'd have been bigger.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wish it wasn't this gen that got these numbers but it is what it is. Congrats to GF/Nintendo.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
EeuDXCCWkAATYXx

Honestly not huge growth since it was at 17.37 million as of March 31st. Still huge overall, but you'd think especially with Isle of Armor it'd have been bigger.
The growth is over double the growth of all prior games

Here's the growth since ORAS for Apr-June following launch

ORAS: +330,000
SM: +230,000
USUM: +210,000
Let's Go: +350,000

Meanwhile this went up 875,000

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
At the very least, I hope the sales success on Switch forces Gamefreak to have better quality control for their next mainline entry.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Wonder if they will pass Gold/Silver. They're the worst core Pokemon games for a single player experience, but I guess that's not what they're gonna focus on in the future.

Oct 26, 2017
EeuDXCCWkAATYXx

The growth is over double the growth of all prior games

Here's the growth since ORAS for Apr-June following launch

ORAS: +330,000
SM: +230,000
USUM: +210,000
Let's Go: +350,000

Meanwhile this went up 875,000
Hmm, I see. I guess this is normal. Guess Animal Crossing obliterating all expectations kind of contributed to my perception there. :P

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I imagine these sales are barely affected by the Season Pass, but SwSh does have the extra boost of being supported post-launch and not having a third version to cut their legs.

Gin

May 2, 2018
Congrats Nintendo / GameFreak
Still remember the ridiculous amount of complaints Era had for this game ....

I'm glad it did well and hope they can build on it further in the next series

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
man i may not be the biggest fan of SwSh but if it can surpass GS that would be pretty great

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Already had people saying "This has DLC so you should combine the games with their enhanced version for full comparison". People do work in mysterious ways to try and discredit the success of SWSH

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Do you have numbers on how much Blue sold in Japan?

(It's a constant bugbear of mine that Platinum Emerald and Crystal are counted separately but Blue is folded in with Red and Green.)
Unfortunately not, but it can't be too high

It was mail-order from CoroCoro only for the first 3 years of its life, then it hit retail a month before Gold & Silver

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Those legs kind of confirm that this will pass Gold & Silver to be the best selling Pokemon game since the original.

Insanity.

Incidentally, it's also the first game since the original that I completed the Pokedex. Great game.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon sells disproportionately more during the holidays compared to other series considering people were conditioned to expect a new game every year, so I'm betting on the combination of the meatier half of the DLC and the holidays giving it a real boost

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
That's great to see, can't wait for the second DLC pack later this year.

Makes me wonder what a new generation near the end of the Switch cycle could sell.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Legs are strong for a poke game.
Real interresting will be the holiday, since its the first holiday for a pokemon game where there isnt a newer(and often better) version aviable to buy for basically the same price since ORAS.

Anybody know what ORAS sold in the Holiday Quarter of 2015(oct-dec) ?

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I wonder if it will be able to pass Gold and Silver.
5M seems like a lot, but with no other game on the horizon and a possible pack including the full DLC later on, it just might...

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Great sales numbers

I'll be honest I bought it cause first Nintendo system in a loooong time + Pokemon, but I still have yet to beat all the gyms. Should probably get back to that and check out the DLC.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
That doesn't even make sense since those versions launch at a much later date at a full price and also require loads of people to work on them.
I know haha, it's not like they added Expansion Pass sales to this number too. People just working at trying to dismiss the success of the game

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Curious how the old GBA/DS games would sell if they just straight up rereleased them on the Switch as is, with no upgrades. I'm honest-to-god convinced Sword/Shield sold this well due to merely being mainline Pokemon on the Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
That's a lot of Obedient Gamers, huh?

Well done to everybody involved with the games.

I 'only' got it about four months ago or thereabouts (Sword) but am pushing 400+ hours, roughly.

And I've never once battled online. Yet.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
with the DLC and almost certainly no new mainline game releasing until november 2021, the legs on this are gonna be huge

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
Not a surprise. They're good games despite all the what the most hardcore Pokemon fans will tell you.
What was good?

The non-existent story that's crammed into the finale?

The dated graphics and game design?

The continued loss of exploration being further replaced with glorified hallways?

If it wasn't for the promising DLC, shit would be looking bleak. I enjoyed it far more than Sw/Sh.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Cool to see. Ranked online has been so fun for this game, can't wait for the next expansion.

nerf rillaboom ;___;

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Surely it will pass Gold and Silver, just a question if it can beat the OGs. An additional 13 million won't be easy if we get a new Pokemon game next year, but if they're remakes then maybe it still has a shot. Would be cool but seems unlikely?