• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
After this Atlus releasing Royal as a new game is a big joke

As much as i dislike Atlus handling of Royal, in this case it's easier to to DLC because the main story of Swo/Shi isn't changed. Still, could offer Royal as DLC and a "New Game Plus" or something in the base game. ^^

you can just breed for one

You gotta be fucking kidding me, i have yet to see a regular shiny that isn't a story part or has a higher chance of appearing (New Years Magikarp raids) and this person just randomly breeds one not even an hour after the Direct?

Why do some people keep all the luck for themselves. :[

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Confirmed returning pokemon

Bulbasaur-Venusaur
Squirtle-Blastoise
Slowpoke-Slowking
Zubat-Crobat
Nidoran-Nidoking
Horsea-Kingdra
Elekid-Electivire
Magnemite-Magnezone
Happiny-Blessey
Azurill-Azumarill
Spheal-Walrein
Metang-Metagross
Gible-Garchomp
Zorua-Zoroark
Cryogonal
Fletching-Talonflame
Amaura-Aurorus
Larvesta-Volcarona
Dedenne
Rowlet-Decidueye
Litten-Incineroar
Popplio-Primarina
Rockruff-Lycanroc

Legendary Pokemon

Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres
Ho-Oh and Lugia
Latios and Latias
Raikou, Entei and Suicune
Registeel, Regice and Regirock
Groundon, Kyogre and Rayquaza
Azelf, Mesprit and Uxie
Palkia and Dialga
Cresselia and Giratina
Tornados, Thundurus and Landorus
Heatran
Reshiram and Zekrom
Kyurem
Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde
Tapu Lele, Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu and Tapu Fini
Cosmog and Cosmoem
Lunala and Solgaleo
Necrozma

So far we know 61 normal pokemon and 42 legendary pokemon. Basically we know 103 pokemon out of 200+ which isn't a bad start.

Last edited:

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
So it looks like they wanted to keep the growing Dex concept a "surprise" marketing-wise,
and thus to protect that, ended up saying that they wouldn't extend the Dex creating various "lies"
that ended up creating the "#GameFreakLied" movement.

All that drama came from a a marketing stunt that will hurt their PR credibility on the long term.
yes & no... I really think they couldn't make deadline for the full dex originally either

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

0issebsuusy31.jpg

See, it's hiding in The Crown Tundra.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

And yet Ohmori said they had been working on these updates for "a while".

So either they were working on bringing more Pokemon into the game and told everyone they weren't, or they decided after the game's release to bring back more Pokemon as part of these updates since people were disappointed, meaning they can bring back all these Pokemon with a relatively quick timespan.

Not a good look for them either way. And there's really no excuse not to have all Pokemon available in Gen 9 since they will already have 700+ done in Sword and Shield by the end of these updates.

Saori

Avenger
Dec 12, 2018
This is just so much more than I ever expected, can't wait for it to release. Now I just gotta get myself one of these slowpokes.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
So, I have thoughts. Please humour me:

I find these DLC expansions to be quite promising for the future of Pokémon. They really seem to be transitioning fully towards the direction that they were hesitantly taking the franchise with Sword & Shield. The feature that was the Wild Area becomes the standard method of traversal, exploration and the standard viewpoint, most importantly. I feel like they took a tentative step in that direction with Sword & Shield, and are now fleshing out that style into a full content pack, i.e. the expansions. My expectation is that this viewpoint, and the mechanics that come with traversal through such an area (what we saw in the Wild Area) will become the standard for the new games that they will make going forward. I fully expect gen 9 to feature only one viewpoint. Personally, I like this a lot: the Wild Area was my favourite part of Sword & Shield, and I just love running around the world and checking out every nook and cranny in search of Pokémon. This sense of exploration will only become more pronounced if we can also traverse buildings and cave structures in this style. Bonus points if they indeed make the world seamless, like they said in the Direct. All in all, I really love the direction they are taking the games into (assuming I'm not jumping the gun, of course).

What I also found interesting is that they did not seem to back away from including dungeons and mysteries. This is paramount: to me, Pokémon thrives when it gives you this grand adventure where you get to explore the world, and get to find new Pokémon you didn't expect. I'm glad these expansions are aiming to include them (it remains to be seen how intricate all of this will be, of course). Gives me good hope they are working hard on improving the formula of the games further.

That's all from me, hope it wasn't too incoherent. Anyway, the bottom line is I'm very pleased with the effort they are putting in and with the direction they seem to be going in.
I have to wonder if the better direction the DLC seems to be taking is because a different director is responsible. Not trying to be shady but Ohmori and Masada have made some of my least favorite Pokémon games.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It's equal too the level of scummy tactics that Pokemon has always used, if not somewhat better because of modern tech like wireless trading and online communities. Any Pokemon you want that are in the DLC will be ready and available online almost immediately with people more then happy to give you extra ones they've gotten in the DLC or previous versions that they've brought forward through Bank.
This is actually cheaper than the previous model we would have had to buy a $60 third version instead with the Pokemon being incompatible.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
A Pokemon DLC season pass, holy hell how low can you get.

So glad I turned my back to the series after #Dexit.

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Amaura-Aurorus

Tyrunt and Tyrantrum are almost shoe-ins, then, and it also raises hope for other fossil monsters.

Maybe Game Freak will actually do something no one is expecting: the original forms of the Galar fossils.

I mean, people are hoping for it, but with how trollish Game Freak tends to be, I don't think anyone is 100% expecting that for sure.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
The best part of Magnezone returning is that Magneton will evolve with a Thunder Stone and not need any location based gimmicks

wouldnt be so sure if i were you

since its addition is going to be tied to an specific area they could very well put the "specific location" gimmick to evolve it again

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
And yet Ohmori said they had been working on these updates for "a while".

So either they were working on bringing more Pokemon into the game and told everyone they weren't, or they decided after the game's release to bring back more Pokemon as part of these updates since people were disappointed, meaning they can bring back all these Pokemon with a relatively quick timespan.

Not a good look for them either way. And there's really no excuse not to have all Pokemon available in Gen 9 since they will already have 700+ done in Sword and Shield by the end of these updates.

I think they started working on the Pokémon around the time they released that idiotic empy statement last summer.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The apparent lack of reading and immediate knee jerk commentary is pretty shameful guys, but I suppose it was too much for some to wait until all of the pertinent information came available instead of jumping to conclusions.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

Bulbasaur-Venusaur
Squirtle-Blastoise
Slowpoke-Slowking
Zubat-Crobat
Nidoran-Nidoking
Horsea-Kingdra
Elekid-Electivire
Magnemite-Magnezone
Happiny-Blessey
Azurill-Azumarill
Spheal-Walrein
Metang-Metagross
Gible-Garchomp
Zorua-Zoroark
Cryogonal
Fletching-Talonflame
Amaura-Aurorus
Larvesta-Volcarona
Dedenne
Rockruff-Lycanroc

Legendary Pokemon

Ho-Oh and Lugia
Latios and Latias
Azelf, Mesprit and Uxie
Palkia and Dialga
Cresselia and Giratina
Heatran
Reshiram and Zekrom
Kyurem
Lunala and Solgaleo
Necrozma

So far we know 52 normal pokemon and 40 legendary pokemon. Basically we know 92 characters out of 200+ which isn't a bad start.

regigigas is not there so I totally expect a new form for it in the Sinnoh remakes. Strange that Dialga and Palkia are there tho. Wonder if they'll focus on Regigigas and Arceus.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
no they were "lying" because you don't disclosure your business strategy in an interview.

I don't know if I believe this

Either way its not like anyone has receipts

Why take all that negative PR then? Why not just say "stay tuned for future announcements" and be vague like Nintendo used to do

Instead he did like 50 in depth interviews saying different shit and justifications

I say they changed gears after mulling the feedback. I think the DLC was preplanned sure but the plan to add back SO many pokemon might have been a more recent change

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I was waiting on buying this game to see if they were going to release an "Ultra" version, however I'm glad they are going the DLC route where you can port your progress forward. I wonder if they will sell a "complete" edition in time for next Christmas that contains all of this on the cart?

I still think I am going to wait for Pokemon Home support before actually jumping in though.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
i'm fine with legends coming back but I really hope the next season of VGC bans old legendaries lol

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Bulbasaur-Venusaur
Squirtle-Blastoise
Slowpoke-Slowking
Zubat-Crobat
Nidoran-Nidoking
Horsea-Kingdra
Elekid-Electivire
Magnemite-Magnezone
Happiny-Blessey
Azurill-Azumarill
Spheal-Walrein
Metang-Metagross
Gible-Garchomp
Zorua-Zoroark
Cryogonal
Fletching-Talonflame
Amaura-Aurorus
Larvesta-Volcarona
Dedenne
Rockruff-Lycanroc

Legendary Pokemon

Ho-Oh and Lugia
Latios and Latias
Azelf, Mesprit and Uxie
Palkia and Dialga
Cresselia and Giratina
Heatran
Reshiram and Zekrom
Kyurem
Lunala and Solgaleo
Necrozma

So far we know 52 normal pokemon and 40 legendary pokemon. Basically we know 92 characters out of 200+ which isn't a bad start.

Probably want to add the Alolan Starters as well to the list since we know they are coming from the data mines.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Tyrunt and Tyrantrum are almost shoe-ins, then, and it also raises hope for other fossil monsters.

Maybe Game Freak will actually do something no one is expecting: the original forms of the Galar fossils.

I mean, people are hoping for it, but with how trollish Game Freak tends to be, I don't think anyone is 100% expecting that for sure.

I really hope so for Tyrantrum since they were pretty cool pokemon.

regigigas is not there so I totally expect a new form for it in the Sinnoh remakes. Strange that Dialga and Palkia are there tho. Wonder if they'll focus on Regigigas and Arceus.

Maybe they are saving Regigigas for future reveal since they might have a new form after seeing two potential new Regis? Regivolt and Regidragon