• It's the most wonderful time of the year! Make your list and check it twice. The ResetEra Games of the Year 2019 Voting Thread is now live. Voting will be open for the next 6 days, 4 hours, 33 minutes, 6 seconds, and will close on Jan 26, 2020 at 9:00 AM.

Pokémon Sword and Shield Expansion Passes announced. 'Isle of Armor' coming June 2020 and 'The Crown Tundra' Fall 2020 (New 'mons, new areas) - US$30

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash

Two part Expansion Pass. The Isle of Armor is coming June 2020 and The Crown Tundra Fall 2020

A new way to battle: Restricted Sparring
The Isle of Armor will also introduce a way to challenge yourself to some new battles! With Restricted Sparring, you’ll be limited in what types of Pokémon you can use and forced to battle under set conditions! Give it a try, and give some of your Pokémon that are normally overlooked a chance to shine!

YOUR RIVALS IN THE EXPANSIONS

Klara (Sword Exclusive)

Avery (Shield Exclusive)

NEW POKÉMON

GALARIAN ZAPDOS, MOLTRES AND ARTICUNO

GALARIAN SLOWKING?

SPECIAL DOJO

NEW LEGENDARY POKÉMON CALYREX

GIGANTAMAX FORMS

??? POKÉMON

200+ additional Pokémon will be available in the Expansion Pass.

Last edited:

BDS

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Garchomp so I'm satisfied

Also NEW REGIS? Legendary bird gigantamaxes?

May 25, 2019
Love the fact that they're just going to build onto Sword/Shield instead of releasing additional remakes or a third entry (for now at least).

Mar 23, 2018
Seems like yesterday when people argued Pokémon wouldn't ever be doing Expansion Passes instead of whole new versions.

Or was it yesterday

This is the right way in this era

crepuscule

Oct 27, 2017
New director called Tani. Thank god for the death of seperate third versions. It really needed to happen given Switch games are officially $60/£50 now. (Though I imagine a retail bundle of the game and expansion pass will eventually be available.)

Last edited:

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
This is best case scenario for Game Freak. I’m shocked that they delivered after Sword and Shield were lacking.

Joseki

Nov 5, 2017
I liked the idea of an Expansion Pass more and more each of the 4 times they looped the trailer.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Well, good to know they're selling DLC to make actual complete games.

Then again, it could be worse. They could sell them as a standalone releases as before (But at least it was more warranted then).

rewkol

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the DLC is way more compelling than the base game was. I'll probably pick this up, but I'd love if the Gen 9 games were closer to this in their base releases.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Great they're building on the base game rather than selling all new editions but it does smack a little bit of "pay another $30 or whatever to make the game what it would have been if we hadn't rushed it".

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
Damn some of the posts in the direct announcement thread aged like shit.

I’ll probably jump back in

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
The concept arts look so much better than the actual game. :(

Makes me sad..

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great they're building on the base game rather than selling all new editions but it does smack a little bit of "pay another $30 or whatever to make the game what it would have been if we hadn't rushed it".
Nah, I don't agree- what they're describing here is way more indepth than what I'd have expected from postgame stuff.

Neoxon

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Better DLC than third versions, but aren’t the returning Pokémon shown already in the files?

Also, the Gigantimax forms for the starters should have been in the base game.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Isle of ARmor seems cool, but some of the satuff (like the starter Gmax forms) really should have been included in the base game.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it was $30 or $60.

And the $60 choice meant that we had to play through Hop’s Railroad Simulator for another 20 hours.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank god. Finished the Pokedex in Sword and wasn’t keen on the third version coming out. Very happy to buy more DLC and keep my progress.

Joseki

Nov 5, 2017
Exploration, post game content and extra mon are essentially locked behind this Expansion Pass.

edit: okay cool mons are free updates.

rewkol

Oct 27, 2017
Both new areas are apparently seamless like the Wild Area. I am really hoping that this is indicative of what Gen 9 will look like, but it's also GameFreak