• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since when do we get huge new maps and new trainers as a post game? Other then Gold and Silver of course
It would be a great addition if the base game doesn't feel lacking compared to other entries but it is. This is the future going forward I guess, the only thing they could add is actually add mtx for that cosmetics lol

Hopefully the other QoL and small changes like Gigantamax for Starters are not locked to DLC like what they did with Xenoblade 2

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is what I wanted to see...wow!

The Tundra almost feels like a Diamond and Pearl shout-out with underground co-op and the Regis.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks cool. Love some of the new designs, like what I assume are Galarian Birds.

$30 though, nah. I'm waiting for the base game to hit $40, I'd spend $20 on the pass.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
This is much better than a third version. The two expansions seemed cool and I thought they could cost until 40€, so 30€ is fine is they are really packed with contents.
In my opinion, they had to cut some contents to release Sword and Shield in November, but they can exploit this opportunity to keep the players (and me) interested in playing the game again.
I liked this Direct, very much at the moment.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Might finally buy this when it's inevitably bundled with the base game next holiday season.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Greatly prefer this to a new version of the same region

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$60 bucks and you have to wait almost a full year to get what should've been in the main games.

Its beyond obvious they rushed sword and shield.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Look good but I'm not paying €30.00 gamefreak
New Pokémon forms yes please
New legends look awful it will defiantly take a awhile for me to warm up to them.

this is the post game I wanted included with the original game now we know why the game was so bare

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
While some of it strikes me as stuff I'd have liked to have seen in the base game the expansions sound promising and those Galarian Legendary Bird forms got me good. The price also seems reasonable. It's great that this is coming in the form of DLC, if it were a "Pokemon Spear" or something I simply wouldn't have bought it - I never tend to buy those releases.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
I groaned at the start of announcements cause I knew it just meant more vitriol and anger. However the DLC sounded better and better as the direct went on, and I've warmed up to it.

Only thing I'm upset by is the gigantamax starters not being in the base game at release.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"We currently don't have plans to make the Pokémon that are missing from the Galar Pokédex available in the game," Masuda said. "This is an approach that we want to continue with in future Pokémon games. Up until now it hasn't been possible to encounter every Pokemon in every game, so people had to transfer them from old games to the new game, by using Pokémon Bank as an example."

You sons of bitches.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the content in this is way beyond old post-games and third versions.

and there's a season 2 after that? fuck yea

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Well, now it's confirmed that they can add Pokémon with new updates.

While I'm excited for the expansions, I'm disappointed that STILL not every Pokémon from the past will be back, seem like a missed opportunity.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is much better than a third version. The two expansions seemed cool and I thought they could cost until 40€, so 30€ is fine is they are really packed with contents.
In my opinion, they had to cut some contents to release Sword and Shield in November, but they can exploit this opportunity to keep the players (and me) interested in playing the game again.
I liked this Direct, very much at the moment.

You like being so blatantly exploited?

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
$60 bucks and you have to wait almost a full year to get what should've been in the main games.

Its beyond obvious they rushed sword and shield.

It's $30, and you could have always said this about the third version of Pokemon games.

It's a step in the right direction.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad gamefreak is actually behaving logically and releasing expansions rather than updated versions.
I've never played an updated release, but don't these seem to have more interesting additions?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like this is our 2020 game. And if we get Sinnoh in 2021, we may get an expansion pass in 2022.

I think this business model is more sustainable than one game every year.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Said it a few times before but despite popular opinion Game Freak have never been completely tone deaf to series criticism. Word of mouth matters to them; having a varied dex in BW2 was a response to BW1 criticism, bringing back fashion accessories was a response to ORAS criticism, SuMo's story was basically a response to XY story backlash, and this Direct further cements that they listen. Not only are they bringing back a substantial chunk of cut mons as DLC despite the fact that they said they weren't going to do it, but they're also adding substantial post-game content and getting rid of third versions as an updated measure, finally getting with the goddamn times. They're actually making steps to fix some of the game's shortcomings, and doing so under a much more sustainable development plan.

SwSh still has a lot of problems, but I'm pretty confident in their commitment of doing better and this has reaffirmed some of my faith that they'll improve.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
30 USD for both parts. Sounds alright I guess.

Not sure if I want to pay twice though (1 pass for each version). Shall wait for more details.

rottenpie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
My god, the designs of the legendary birds look so cool! Especially Moltres and Articuno :o

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. And people applaud it. This stuff should have been in the main game, which was already empty, or should have been post-game content.

This is what the older games were like.

Now they're selling it as expansion passes.

They certainly caught up to the modern times quickly

Because this is clearly the usual post game we get. Cmon.

You mean unlocking a new area to head to after you beat the game and going to do special facilities with their own subplots to catch returning Pokémon and new legendaries?

Freaking base Diamond and Pearl did this built in, the not even including G/S and HG/SS which all things considered is just as big if we exclude clothing items and offers it up free.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my give me those legendary birds. I hate how it's a year out, but happy nonetheless.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
So wait, is each DLC exclusive to each different version? Meaning if I got Shield, I don't get an expansion until fall?

Both expansions are for each version of the game, but they will each have some differences for each version like exclusive pokemon (outside of trading etc).

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
So, while there are elements of this I liked, particularly the way it looks like they're finally moving away from the 3rd game model, but there's some stuff in here that doesn't sit well with me.

- Sword/Shield were clearly unfinished, and it's obvious that a portion of this content was cut to reach the rushed winter 2019 release date
- Giving GameFreak the OK that it's fine to release unfinished games on launch, and then fix them later with paid DLC passes represents so much that's wrong with modern gaming.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I don't think it warranted its own Direct, but that is some nice content.
Business model is reasonable too (pokemon available for people that don't own the DLC, 2 parts, etc). Coop mode sounds really good, and the concept art was great.