• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Yo so what are you guys hoping for the galar formes of the legendary bird trio?

Personally, I'm actually hoping Articuno and Moltres drop their Ice and Fire typings respectively. Moltres actually might be sorta ok with Dynamax now a days, but the typings just do NOT gel well with Flying otherwise, and I think Moltres in particular will struggle to compete with Charizard and Volcarona, so I view these galar formes as a second chance of sorts for Articuno and Moltres.

I sorta want Articuno to be Steel / Flying actually. Yes, thats the same typing as Corviknight, but I think it can differnciate itself from Corviknight by being a Special Attacking variant, especially if Celesteela doesn't come back. Plus, if its like Galarian Darmanitan, it could have access to Ice-type attacks, which honestly sounds GREAT for that typing when Landorus-T and Garchomp come back!

As for Moltres... as an Ubers fan, I'm sorta hoping it becomes Yveltal junior with a Dark / Flying typing. It's an excellent typing, its just that Mandibuzz focuses purely on defense, while Honchkrow if that comes back is fairly frail. Having a decently bulky Dark / Flying with good power and maybe Will-O-Wisp like Moltres would make it have the potential to be pretty damn good!

As for Zapdos, honestly Zapdos is the only legendary bird that's been damn good in most games, so I don't think Galarian Zapdos needs to redeem Kantoian Zapdos like the other two imo, so I'm not really sure what I want beyond "make it different than Zapdos" lol.
screenshot_20200110-02qjxy.jpg

Galarian Articuno - Psychic/Flying
Galarian Zapdos - Fighting/Flying
Galarian Moltres - Dark/Flying or Ghost/Flying

If it is Dark Flying we will have the spiritual successors of our legendary Psychic Fighting Dark Trio:

uXveJ.png

(Ignore the Gen 6 starters, those were only secondary typings)

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know about those typings. Articuno at least I see the white shards as ice projectiles, which would mean it is still an ice pokemon.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I think they're just beam-things
Has the same color as his laser beams
Also, the laser thing looks like an ice beam.
I think it is Ice/Psychic. The pose is very similar to mewtwo, but the attacks shown look ice related.
If I were to guess, they don't have the Flying type, but Ice/Electric/Fire with another one.

RiggyRob

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Might be me jumping to conclusions, but I thought the Galarian legendary birds were pretty much going to be:

Articuno: Ice/Psychic
Moltres: Fire/Dark
Zapdos: Electric/Fighting

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
After Zacian and Zamazenta I decided to stop trying to guess legendaries' typings lol

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Might be me jumping to conclusions, but I thought the Galarian legendary birds were pretty much going to be:

Articuno: Ice/Psychic
Moltres: Fire/Dark
Zapdos: Electric/Fighting
Yes this is highly likely too and would be my next best guess, though i think they'll keep their flying types. I'm 60/40 on it. But I'm almost sure it's going to be some combination with psychic, fighting and dark. Maaaybe ghost instead of dark but more likely dark.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the birds will lose their original primary types, otherwise their names would make no sense anymore. They're literally called Thunder, Fire and Freezer in Japan.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think the birds will lose their original primary types, otherwise their names would make no sense anymore. They're literally called Thunder, Fire and Freezer in Japan.
Well, it is the same in English, Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. Artic, Zap and Molten, with the spanish names for 1, 2 and 3.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Ice/Steel Articuno that maintains bulk, but has great speed/special attack too would be my dream. I love that thing, but it's hell to use on even an in-game team due to its weaknesses.

Moltres is easily going to become a Fire/Dark type. Look at that thing, no other typing makes sense. Zapdos will drop flying for ground too imo.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Also, the laser thing looks like an ice beam.
I think it is Ice/Psychic. The pose is very similar to mewtwo, but the attacks shown look ice related.
If I were to guess, they don't have the Flying type, but Ice/Electric/Fire with another one.

Is there any bird Pokemon thats clearly a bird without Flying type?

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Well, it is the same in English, Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. Artic, Zap and Molten, with the spanish names for 1, 2 and 3.

French names are so fun.
ArtikODIN, ElecTHOR, and, hum, Sulfura (i don't get it).

As for the typings, my guess is they will loose the Flying type (and maaaaybe gain Levitate as their ability).

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

There is a technical loophole around that, these three Galarian birds can have a variation of the Refrigerate/Areialiate/Pixilate ability as their ability for Fire/Ice/Thunder moves and still be Psychic/Flying, Dark/Flying and Fighting/Flying.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
French names are so fun.
ArtikODIN, ElecTHOR, and, hum, Sulfura (i don't get it).

As for the typings, my guess is they will loose the Flying type (and maaaaybe gain Levitate as their ability).
Sulfura is due to Sulfur, the element that makes volcanoes smell like they do, I suppose it has a similar name in French.
Is there any bird Pokemon thats clearly a bird without Flying type?
Not that I know of. Delibird and Doduo/Dotrio are flying but their real life counterparts can't fly.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy they went all in with the open areas. Only thing left now is getting them to look good lol
I wonder if they're testing the waters with these expansions for a fully open-world Pokémon title in the future. The choice to have the entire islands be open like the Wild Area but with caves, buildings and towns is a far cry from the Wild Area, which is, really, just a big open route connecting two cities.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Galarian Moltres still has fire on its body, it's almost certainly still Fire type

Galarian Articuno is shown with ice shards around it and its design uses a mask that's used to prevent snow blindness, so...

That just leaves Zapdos, and if the other two kept their primary types, Zapdos probably did too

It's their secondary types to look for. I wonder if they give Moltres/Articuno Levitate to keep them airborne.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they're testing the waters with these expansions for a fully open-world Pokémon title in the future. The choice to have the entire islands be open like the Wild Area but with caves, buildings and towns is a far cry from the Wild Area, which is, really, just a big open route connecting two cities.
Not necessarily fully open world but basically like DQ11 is my guess, multiple areas like these + open cities and towns

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So true, the surroundings of that regi temple look....rough. I hope the jump from gen 8 to gen 9 is as notable as the jump from XY to SM was.
All of the footage looks pretty unpolished, but the Regi temple looks straight up unfinished. Crown doesn't come out for almost a year, so hopefully it looks better when it releases.
But yeah, I really hope Gen 9 has a nice visual boost. I hope it looks at least as good as BotW.

Last edited:

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the in game footage really dampens my excitmenet. All of this looks just as bland as the wild area.

Hopefully these new areas are much more lively and interesting.
It's definitely gonna be just more wild area-tier stuff, I don't think it's gonna be some big shake up to the game or anything, just a vehicle for more content.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely gonna be just more wild area-tier stuff, I don't think it's gonna be some big shake up to the game or anything, just a vehicle for more content.
These new areas are already better because we know they have actual buildings in them, and actual caves/hidden passages instead of being just a field. And the new explorable dens are quite a big upgrade even if we have yet to see how they work

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These new areas are already better because we know they have actual buildings in them, and actual caves/hidden passages instead of being just a field. And the new explorable dens are quite a big upgrade even if we have yet to see how they work
Don't get me wrong I think there's gonna be plenty of fun to have in it. I'm excited, I just don't expect it to be anything that turns around the folks who disliked Sw/Sh's stuff.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Can a Phony Sinistea breed an authentic Sinistea? I know that breeding an authentic Sinistea doesn't give you another authentic by default, but is the authenticity locked to random encounters? I want an authentic one, but the encounter rate is so low, breeding would be faster.