• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm staying spoiler free, so I don't know how many Pokémon were cut. For the reactions, it seems to be a lot more than expected.

I really don't know how they can fix this in the short-term without changing their release schedule for other games already in development.
They can honestly throw more money at it. They're moving a minimum of 10m units every year. It's absurd to see them outclassed by games that barely sell a tenth of that.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Sure bud. Not sure what the fuck you're accusing me of
You obviously value the number of virtual creatures in a videogame more than developers receiving abuse and death threats so if you have a problem with my posts too feel free to put me on ignore instead of trying to stir up shit every time.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
You can't putt boycott and death threats on the same level come on.

What do you mean? The "community" has done such a great job of separating the two. Such a "clear" message toward "positive" change for the game. A response of this magnitude has been totally "comparable" to the game's "issues?"

I'm sure the "criticism" is totally "inspiring" the developer to make better games! We should all feel "great!"

Ashflow

Feb 13, 2018
US
The fact that they had to do this, if it's truly connected to the whole National Dex incident, speaks volumes on how overblown the whole thing has been.
Or maybe it speaks to how underplayed the decision is by some people? Is that not also a reasonable conclusion? Maybe it really does matter to a lot of people?

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how it connects to dexit and threats? The latter are never mentioned.
—-
I remember hearing Japanese fans were more startled by Dexit. Western audiences had like 6 months to digest it, but they only just found out from the leaks.
We had time to be sad (in June) and now it's even worse because of how many were cut. They just got both bad news back to back
Keep in mind that they did not officially announce the plan to cut Pokemon to the Japanese audience.

Japanese people knew about it as well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/c187sz/japanese_opinion_regarding_national_dex_cut/
https://www.dexerto.com/pokemon/japanese-pokedex-pokemon-sword-shield-795074
https:///japanese-pokemon-fans-demand-to-know-which-pokemon-has-been-cut-from-sword-and-shield/

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
To all of us who don't follow Pokemon news closely... can someone explain or give a link to this #dexit thing??

This is getting weird so I really want to know what is going on.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean? The "community" has done such a great job of separating the two. Such a "clear" message toward "positive" change for the game. A response of this magnitude has been totally "comparable" to the game's "issues?"

I'm sure the "criticism" is totally "inspiring" the developer to make better games! We should all feel "great!"

I want receipts on how well the Community is doing managing its bad actors

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
They didn't want to be there when Japanese little Timmy asked them why he can't play with his Bulbasaur.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
And you wonder why people have occasionally called you a troll.

Wait... what? Ok, I always saw you as just particularly passionate, but I can safely ignore anything you say from now on.
When people get offended as soon as someone dares say the situation with these "protests" has gone out of control in a thread about developers having to cancel events in fear of their own safety, it's time to seriously fuck off. But sure, I am the troll.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I see...seems a bit extreme to do that, but did fans get THAT upset? How many pokèmons are left in the game?

It was also a case horrible communication.

The news of "the snap" was given after E3 in a Treehouse, something was received as trying to let the news fly under the radar.

Then Game Freak released a statement that essentially was a waste of time to read and people got even more mad because they didn't feel like it responded to any of the concerns they had.

Lastly, the Pokédex now leaked and it's pretty underwhelming with some very, very controversial choices (there is a full thread about it).

Then today Masuda posted a tweet that boy did trigger the Japanese fans. People replied to him that he was "cruel" and that's pretty bad for Japan's standards.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'm staying spoiler free, so I don't know how many Pokémon were cut. For the reactions, it seems to be a lot more than expected.
gp9ismj4qp631.jpg

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I don't see how it connects to dexit and threats? The latter are never mentioned.
—-
I remember hearing Japanese fans were more startled by Dexit. Western audiences had like 6 months to digest it, but they only just found out from the leaks.
We had time to be sad (in June) and now it's even worse because of how many were cut. They just got both bad news back to back

They found out in June like the rest of us.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
they won't have to tbh.
sales aren't going to be affected and people will either get used to it or go away.

Negative reception from the fanbase and vocal word of mouth might not affect the most recent release, but they always do brand damage that in some cases, might be not easy to recover from. Final Fantasy XIII debuted as the fastest selling entry in the franchise and exceeded expectations, but the narrative against that entry ended up damaging the brand up until XV released.

Sales will definitely affect the next entries if the franchise keeps getting vocal bad reception.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
It was also a case horrible communication.

The news of "the snap" was given after E3 in a Treehouse, something was received as trying to let the news fly under the radar.

Then Game Freak released a statement that essentially was a waste of time to read and people got even more mad because they didn't feel like it responded to any of the concerns they had.

Lastly, the Pokédex now leaked and it's pretty underwhelming with some very, very controversial choices (there is a full thread about it).

Then today Masuda posted a tweet that boy did trigger the Japanese fans. People replied to him that he was "cruel" and that's pretty bad for Japan's standards.

Probably the one critique that holds water

I don't take issue that they wanted to cut off the anchor of 800+ pokemon for every mainline game

But man did they blow it on communication. They should have ripped the band aid with something simple and stood their ground. Instead its been messy ever since

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's very doubtful that this is actually linked to Dexit idiotic protesters and the myth that jp fans somehow didn't know about it is obviously false. They knew about it at E3 like the rest of us.

That said I hope they never bring back National dex.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
My mind skipped "event" and I thought we are in for legendary shitstorm.

I think Japan is now finding out about cut Pokemon via the western leaks. So now there is massive uproar there, at least my friend tells me so.
I mean, these kinds of leaks have happened for both of the previous generations. Like they're deciding to cancel because this time there was actual stuff to reveal?

People complain everywhere and nobody cancels though.

This cancellation is more than just fear from complains.. maybe the morale rumor is actually true
The morale rumor ties directly into the cut Pokemon complaints, though. Saying it was cancelled because of that would basically be the same thing as it being cancelled by 'Dexit' protestors.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
To all of us who don't follow Pokemon news closely... can someone explain or give a link to this sexist thing??

That's an unfortunate auto correct...

Basically for the last decade plus in pokemon games, your pokemon have been forward compatible, meaning you could bring all your old pokemon and teams into the new games, SwSh marks the start of a change in design philosophy where that is no longer the case, you can only bring pokemon that are already in the game and any that aren't in the game, you have to transfer to a (ikely subscription based) app on your phone and leave them there until a game comes out that has them in it.

For a lot of people this has been the straw that broke the camels back moment, as there's been a general sentiment that the series has been on a decline since gen 5.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I mean, these kinds of leaks have happened for both of the previous generations. Like they're deciding to cancel because this time there was actual stuff to reveal?

The morale rumor ties directly into the cut Pokemon complaints, though. Saying it was cancelled because of that would basically be the same thing as it being cancelled by 'Dexit' protestors.

Well.. yeah?

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Negative reception from the fanbase and vocal word of mouth might not affect the most recent release, but they always do brand damage that in some cases, might be not easy to recover from. Final Fantasy XIII debuted as the fastest selling entry in the franchise and exceeded expectations, but the narrative against that entry ended up damaging the brand up until XV released.

Sales will definitely affect the next entries if the franchise keeps getting vocal bad reception.
doubt it tbh. FFXIII was a bad game and the genre fell out of favour a bit.
if Pokemon Sword and Shield are good games or at least on par with the gens before then i don't see any noticable impact on sales. for the vast majority dexit will make absolutely no difference as the amount of pokemon you can catch with your copy is very similiar to the games beforehand.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't people just be normal and stop acting like spoiled children? The gaming community is so embarrassing sometimes...

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope they are okay. I remember Masuda being hospitalized because he overdid himself during R/S developpement to reach people's expectation (and prove that Pokemon was not a fad).

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah we weren't really aware of how big Dexit was going to be. 400 Pokemon is a joke.

They aren't going to allow for the use of over half the Pokemon from previous generations. That's honestly unacceptable. If you don't want to spend time rebalancing them that's fine. Just limit VGC and Ranked Singles to Galar Dex only.

But for gods sake people have living dexes that they transfer over from game to game, and now you're saying that.

1. You need to buy a Pokemon game for 50% of the additional price as the previous ones.
2. You need an online subscription to trade Pokemon with others online.
3. Pokemon Home, the subscription service that replaced bank and they advertised as THE MEDIUM FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF BRINGING OVER POKEMON OF PREVIOUS GAMES will not work with certain Pokemon in Sword and Shield. Mind you they released this back BEFORE we knew Pokemon was going to be cut, basically pulling a bait and switch on us.

And straight up lying and avoiding the scale and the reasons for such a massive cut, then of course you're going to get outrage.

Gamefreak was not prepared to tackle HD development. It's not a 'laxy devs' issue, it's a management issue. Gamefreak upper management was somehow completely unprepared for the Switch, thinking that it would fail, and thus they didn't make the required pipelines of development until it was too late and they were forced to cut in order to make stuff happen in time.

Honestly Nintendo needs to find a way to wrench SOME control of Pokemon Development from Gamefreak. The story of Sword and Shield development isn't a story of 'lazyness', it's misaligned visions and bad faith leading to required cuts that they knew people wouldn't be willing to take, and then the PR team just angered everyone further by the obfuscation and now its all exploding with the leaks.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Honestly, I've had enough of these shitty death threat accusations. Nobody here is doing that, not even the most aggresive posters here have done that and they've been banned for much less. I don't give a fuck about people doing that. Those can rot in hell as the assholes they are, but stop lumping us in there. It's very very distasteful and I expected better of you.

And we don't even know the reason behind the cancellation anyway, so this is incredibly disingenous. For fuck's sake, guys.
Tom could have just reported the cancellation but he had to tie it to his own speculation.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
To all of us who don't follow Pokemon news closely... can someone explain or give a link to this #dexit thing??

Dexit refers to Gamefreak deciding to have a limited roster of Pokemon in Sword and Shield, and Pokemon not in this roster can't be transferred to the game.

This is obviously upsetting, a lot of peoples' favourites were cut, and competitively, it impacts on what was the current meta.

A subset of fans have taken to harrassing Gamefreak/Nintendo/TPC for this decision, as well as fansites like Serebii for not agreeing with them, and that's been a sustained campaign for a while now.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Up til now, you've been able to obtain every past-generation Pokémon in the games, even if you couldn't actually catch them in the game (usually via special events or trading). Sword / Shield is the first game in the series where that's not possible, as uncatchable Pokémon aren't programmed into the game, and you're only able to obtain Pokémon that are within that region's Pokédex. You can still obtain older generation Pokémon, but only those that have been coded into the game. Game Freak justified the decision as being due to unsustainable dev time, and that it's going to be the new standard moving onward - basically the Pokémon roster will be rotating in future games.

People call it Dexit in reference to the National Pokédex and Brexit, because the new region is based on the UK.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I see...seems a bit extreme to do that, but did fans get THAT upset? How many pokèmons are left in the game?
40% of the entire pokedex.
It's a big deal because up til now, you've been able to carry over all your Pokemon since 2004, and the entire thing about pokemon is that they are like your pets, so you do bond with them, not that easy to just let them go. Another stinger is that they announced a new paid app to transfer all your Pokemon to Switch and other devices (Pokemon Home) but if they aren't compatible with Sword and Shield nor Pokemon Lets Go, then why even create the PAID app?

Back to dexit, even the most pessimistic were expecting about 70% to make it in, but boy we were all wrong. It also doesn't help how GameFreak has handled it, almost in a smug attitude and reminding everyone in every interview lol. And today another leaker said that
GTS (Global Trading with randoms) was also cut from the game.
So it kinda makes you wonder why they cut so many things from the game yet charge you $20 usd more. Overall the situation is pretty fucked up from all ends. Fans overblowing it, fans looking down on others yet having a hard time to excuse the poor decisions by GameFreak and GF just not handling the PR well.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Or maybe it speaks to how underplayed the decision is by some people? Is that not also a reasonable conclusion? Maybe it really does matter to a lot of people?

it shouldn't matter enough that it affects people's actual lives and safety

That being said there's some severely irresponsible reporting going on here and assumptions are being treated as facts

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I've had enough of these shitty death threat accusations. Nobody here is doing that, not even the most aggresive posters here have done that and they've been banned for much less. I don't give a fuck about people doing that. Those can rot in hell as the assholes they are, but stop lumping us in there. It's very very distastefull and I expected better of you.

And we don't even know the reason behind the cancellation anyway, so this is incredibly disingenous. For fuck's sake, guys.
Do you honestly expect better from Era?

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain

I get that it matters to a lot of people, but if they are scared of coming out in public because of fan reaction, maybe it's been a bit overblown.

You can criticize something without making people feel threatened.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
A literal street protest is not a critique

As long as people peacefully protest there is nothing inheriently wrong with people protesting the new pokemon game for cutting the the full dex. Obviously people who would incite violence or send death threats are unacceptable, but most of the critcism I've seen online are people who just hate the decision and are tired of gamefreak's games having the same issues while getting progressively worse.

Way too many bad faith actors in this thread lumping everyone upset with the decision as someone sending death threats. The people at gamefreak who made this decision deserve most of the backlash they've received. In particular gamefreak's pr department should all be fired because they've had a string of had pr dating back to let's go's announcement.

And for the 15th time, death threats and other threats of violence towards devs are unacceptable. Complaining/criticising gamefreak for their decisions with sword/shield is perfectly acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.