• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The Pokémon Company has called off its Japanese launch event for Pokémon Sword and Shield, due to take next place in Tokyo next week.

Junichi Masuda and Shigeru Ohmori, the series' veteran lead producer and its game director, were both due to make an appearance.

In a statement apologising for the event's cancellation, The Pokémon Company simply blamed "operational reasons".

The article connects this to the #Dexit protests.

It shouldn't be written, but please stay civil in the replies.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
The fact that they had to do this, if it's truly connected to the whole National Dex incident, speaks volumes on how overblown the whole thing has been.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
My mind skipped "event" and I thought we are in for legendary shitstorm.

The fact that they had to do this, if it's truly connected to the whole National Dex incident, speaks volumes on how overblown the whole thing has been.
I think Japan is now finding out about cut Pokemon via the western leaks. So now there is massive uproar there, at least my friend tells me so.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I'm frustrated that half the pokemon roster has been downright deleted. The amount of shit being thrown at the devs is undeserved.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'd cut even more Pokémon out of spite in the next games, see how they like that.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have any prove that this is because of the Pokémon cuts (Dexit is a dumb name btw)? Or just Eurogamer speculation?

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I'm staying spoiler free, so I don't know how many Pokémon were cut. For the reactions, it seems to be a lot more than expected.

I really don't know how they can fix this in the short-term without changing their release schedule for other games already in development.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad that people have dedicated so much time and energy into harassing the developers of a children's game for not having more than 400 collectible monsters. Real positive change happening here

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
After Kyoto Animation, I imagine entertainment companies are a lot more enthusiastic about taking precautions.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm staying spoiler free, so I don't know how many Pokémon were cut. For the reactions, it seems to be a lot more than expected.

I really don't know how they can fix this in the short-term without changing their release schedule for other games already in development.
they won't have to tbh.
sales aren't going to be affected and people will either get used to it or go away.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
there's fans and then there's assholes. anyone who would threaten the devs falls in the asshole territory and should be labeled accordingly.

for people who want to protest legitly, you can just not buy the game since that's how these companies feel people's disagreements.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
The cancellation might be connected to the Dexit situation (either through threats or not wanting to deal with people confronting them about Dexit).

At the same time, the cancellation could be for a completely different and unrelated reason. Without any sources for the full reasoning, this is kind of nothing-news

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason Tom also felt like mentioning the KyoAni arson and the Square Enix death threat guy. I'm guessing the threat of that his though process for the event cancellation?

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any proof anywhere that it's in any way related to the cuts?

You can't putt boycott and death threats on the same level come on.

To most of these people it's exactly the same thing.

Lump genuine criticism and death threats together so you can label it all toxic and prove yourself to be morally superior to GaMeRs™

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
If this is really connected to the Dex cut ... then i hope there won't ever be a new Pokemon game and gen with a full Dex.

Honestly it's embarrassing.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
It feels really fucking tasteless to try and link the whole angry Dexit thing to the Kyoto Animation attack in order to spice up a news article about an event being cancelled.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I don't see how it connects to dexit and threats? The latter are never mentioned.
—-
I remember hearing Japanese fans were more startled by Dexit. Western audiences had like 6 months to digest it, but they only just found out from the leaks.
We had time to be sad (in June) and now it's even worse because of how many were cut. They just got both bad news back to back

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
But people told me it was fine to be annoyed and that low morale could help Game Freak!

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Keep in mind that they did not officially announce the plan to cut Pokemon to the Japanese audience.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Sword and Shield doesn't allow you to transfer Pokémon from previous games, which people are taking badly. It's hung over the release of these games for months.

To be more specific, they've selected a roster of old Pokemon to return, which can be transferred. However, it's not possible to transfer Pokemon that cannot be caught in the game, unlike previous games which allowed all previous Pokemon to be brought forward

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
I see...seems a bit extreme to do that, but did fans get THAT upset? How many pokèmons are left in the game?
Speaking as someone extremely bummed by the decision: it's not about what's left (which is a lot), it's about what's missing, how it affects the breadth of options in multiplayer, systems such as breeding, and post-game content like battle facilities. The change impacts the games negatively beyond "you can't transfer you 'mons from previous games".

Status
Not open for further replies.